And if our parents converted…
在你出生前一个月皈依了天主教,
那我们就成了天主教♥徒♥,
to Catholicism a month before you were born, we’d be Catholics,
就是这么个结果。
and that would be the end of it.
他…他们像属于不同的俱乐部,
他们互相排挤,所有那些人。
They’re clubs. They’re exclusionary.
你知道,他…他们发明和壮大了
“异己”这个概念,
They foster the concept of “the other”,
你知道,这样你就清楚地知道应该去恨谁。
so you know clearly who you should hate.
你能不能…够了!
That’s enough!
我来问你个问题:
屠♥杀♥一个犹太人,
Let me ask you a question: If a Jew gets massacred,
是否比屠♥杀♥一个非犹太人,
或一个黑人或波斯尼亚人,
does that bother you more than if a Gentile gets hurt,
更使你难过呢?
or a black or a Bosnian?
是的,是的,是这样的。
我没法不难过,那是我们自己人。
Yes, it does. I can’t help it. It’s my people.
所有人都应该是你的自己人。
They’re all your people.
你知道吗?伯特没看错你,
你是个自我憎恨的犹太人。
Burt is right about you. You’re a self-hating Jew.
嘿,也许我是恨我自己,
但那不是因为我是犹太族。
I may hate myself, but not because I’m Jewish.
噢,他说他不是个自我憎恨的犹太人,
He says he’s not a self-hating Jew,
那你看看在他的小说里
他是怎么描写他们的。
but look how he talks about them in his stories.
麦克斯和多丽·平克斯
结婚已经有三十年了,
Max and Dolly Pincus were married for 30 years.
他们养育了两个孩子。
They raised two children,
他们从不错过任何一个家庭婚礼
或男孩成人礼,他们总是热心的参与者。
“唐纳德,愿力量与你同在”
and there was never a family wedding or bar mitzvah where they were not generous participants.
麦克斯,你好吗?
Max, How are you?
尤索尔,恭喜你!
拿着,这是给唐纳德的。
Yossel, mazel tov! Here, for Donald.
谢谢!谢谢你,麦克斯。
Thank you, Max.
多丽!
Dolly!
你现在私下里有时间吗,就一分钟?
You got a private minute?
当然,当然,反正我们要过几分钟才走。
Sure. We’re leaving anyhow in a few minutes.
我不知道是否该告诉你。
I don’t know if I should tell you.
什么?告诉我什么?
What? Tell me what?
你先告诉我,然后我会告诉你
你是否该告诉我。
Tell me, and I will tell you if you should tell me.
– 我心里沉甸甸的。
– 什么?出什么事了?
– My heart is heavy. – What happened?
不会是你丈夫菲尔
出了什么可怕的事吧,是吗?
Nothing terrible happened to your husband Phil, did it?
– 噢,别这么说!
– 他已经去世这么多年了。
– Oh, please! – He’s been dead for so many years.
是这样,当我上个星期在佛罗里达时,
When I was in Florida last week,
我碰到个人,
I ran into a man,
他从一个人那里听说
那人认识一个人,他……
who heard from someone who knew someone who…
简而言之,
Anyway,
麦克斯的过去,似乎有一些秘密。
it seems Max has some secret from his past.
麦克斯?你是说我的麦克斯?
You’re talking about my Max?
– 是的,一个黑色的秘密。
– 什么样的黑色的秘密?
– A dark secret. – What kind of a dark secret?
黑色!
Dark!
什么?你的黑色是什么意思?
What is by you dark?
我不知道。
I don’t know.
什么样的黑色秘密啊?
我们都已经结婚三十年了啊。
What kind of dark secret? We’ve been married for 30 years.
你是他的第一个妻子吗?
You’re his first wife?
当然我是他的第一个妻子。
Sure I’m his first wife.
– 在我之前,他工作在……
– 好吧,好吧。好的。
– Before me, he worked for… – Okey, all right.
怎么?
What?
怎么?你听到什么不同的说法吗?
You heard something different?
我只听说他有个黑色的秘密,
我也不知道那是什么。
I heard only a dark secret. Do I know what?
谁告诉你的?
Who told you?
沃尔夫·费施拜恩。
Wolf Fishbein.
你自己小心,多丽。
Be careful, Dolly.
我只想说这么多。
That’s all I want to say.
多丽试着想
不去理会埃尔希说的话,
Dolly tried putting Elsie’s words out of her mind,
但是麦克斯的黑色秘密
令她寝食难安。
but Max’s dark secret plagued her.
然后有一天,
她遇见了沃尔夫·费施拜恩,
Then one day, she ran into Wolf Fishbein,
于是真♥相♥就暴露了出来。
and the truth was revealed.
深呼吸,努力深呼吸。
Try to breathe deeply.
你说得对,埃尔希,你说得对。
Elsie, you were right.
费施拜恩告诉了我他的事。
Fishbein told me a tale.
麦克斯,在遇见我之前,
住在佛罗里达。
Max, before I met him, he lived in Florida.
他开了家小店——小杂货店。
He had a store–groceries.
他结过婚。
He was married.
– 他结了婚,
– 现在你知道了!
– He was married… – Now it comes out!
有个老婆…
To a woman…
…和两个孩子。
with two children.
麦克斯还有另外的孩子?
Max had other children?
不,是那女人的孩子,
No. The woman’s children,
和她前夫生的。
from a prior marriage.
他发生了一段婚外情,
He began an affair…
和他楼下的邻居,一个寡妇。
with the downstairs neighbor, a widow.
也许他那时头发还都在吧。
He probably had all his hair then.
与此同时,他开始负债,
Meanwhile, he got into debt,
债台越筑越高。
deeper and deeper.
一边还和那个邻居胡混。
And then carry on with the neighbor.
唉,我的心脏,我的心脏。
Oy, my heart.
所以,他无法使自己摆脱困境。
He can’t get himself out of a predicament.
你猜他怎么做?
So what does he do?
你来告诉我,他去偷钱啦?
He stole money.
要是那样倒好了!
I should be so lucky!
他杀了他妻子!
He killed his wife!
不会吧!
No!
这个男人买♥♥了一把斧子,
The man purchased an ax.
用斧子杀人?
With an ax?
你了解麦克斯,他使不好工具。
You know Max. He’s nothing with tools.
他甚至连一幅画都挂不好。
He can’t even hang a picture.
我要死了!
I’m dropping dead!
还有她的孩子,埃尔希!
Plus her children!
还有那邻居!
Plus a neighbor!
四条人命,
Four.
他用一把斧子
在一个晚上杀了四个人。
Four people he killed one night with an ax.
你的麦克斯?
Your Max?
– 这还不是最后的高♥潮♥。
– 还有更厉害的?
– And this is not the capper. – There’s more?
更厉害的!
More!
什么更厉害的?
What more?
他吃了他们。
He ate them.
什么,你不是在说胡话吧?
What, are you talking crazy?
埃尔希,他吞食了他们。
He devoured them.
我透不过气来,
这些事朝我扑面而来。
I can’t breathe. Everything is closing in.
不管你想怎么样,
Whatever you do,
先听听麦克斯会怎么说。
first hear Max’s side.
麦克斯会怎么说?
Max has a side?
他杀了他一家并吃掉了他们。
He kills his family and eats them up.
这样的人还有什么说法吗?
The man has a side?
过去三十年他一直是个好丈夫,
是个慈爱的父亲。
He was a good husband and a loving father for 30 years.
你们有个已经在念大学的女儿,
You have a daughter who went to college.
你们有个成了作家的儿子。
You have a son who’s a writer.
也许最佳的行动方案就是
让睡着的狗继续躺着吧。
Maybe the best course of action is to let sleeping dogs lie.
亲爱的,麻烦你把酸奶油递给我好吗?
Honey, would you pass the sour cream?
你别扔东西啊。
You haven’t touched a thing.
天气很好!
Nice weather!
还好吧。
It’s okay.
不只是“还好”,天气很好!
It’s not just okay. It’s nice!
好吧,好吧。什么事让你火气这么大?
All right, all right. What are you getting so steamed up about?
那什么事又让你成了气象专家啦?
What makes you such an authority on the weather?
我?