乔治·卢卡斯 导演电影《星球大战》
动用所有的设备
and use all that stuff in order
制♥作♥非常不可思议的电影
to make some pretty incredible movies
当然那是在商业因素主宰电影行业之前
before the businessmen took over again.
了 解 新 手
但我现在在拍摄自己的好莱坞电影
But I was making my Hollywood movie now
所以我会想 “嗯 我还蛮成功的”
so I thought, “Well, wow,I’m in the big time.”
一个人从公♥司♥辞职
It’s this is sort of whimsical thing
决定去改变自己的人生
where a guy drops out of a corporation
了解新手 (1972)
成为一个踢踏舞魔术师
and he decides he’s going to change his life
这其实是一件有点儿异想天开的事情
and become a tap dancing magician.
汤米·斯莫瑟斯被节目组解雇
Tommy Smothers had just been fired from his show
汤姆·斯莫瑟斯
“斯莫瑟斯兄弟欢笑秀” (1967-1969)
是因为他说的那些反战的话
because he did all these sort of anti-war things
还有所有的这些政♥治♥幽默
and all this political humor.
政♥府♥要求我们
Our government is asking us
作为公民 优良公民
as citizens, good citizens
要控制自己 别去国外旅行
to refrain from traveling to foreign lands.
好的 所有在越南的人 回家吧
Okay, all you guys in Vietnam,come on home.
这是一部有些反♥动♥的电影
This is this big kind of anti-establishment movie.
所以我想让奥森·韦尔斯
So, I wanted to use Orson Wells
来饰演踢踏舞魔术师
as the tap dancing magician instructor.
后来我发现奥森·韦尔斯不记词
I found that Orson Welles was not learning his lines.
我们不得不在各个地方设置提示卡
We had cue cards all over the place.
我之前从来没见过这样的事
And I’d never seen this before.
你就看着他 然后说 “这样不对
You just looked at him,you say, “This isn’t right.
这太草率了”
This is sloppy.”
我只好一直拍 直到他记住台词
I kept on shooting until he knew the lines.
你工作那么努力
To work that hard,
对新人不公平
would be unfair to your rabbit.
片场经常有我和奥森·韦尔斯交涉的场景
Here’s Brian De Palma dealing with Orson Welles, you know,
我那时候20多岁 我都觉得 “我的天啊”
I’m in my 20’s and I’m going, “Holy mackerel.”
当我告诉奥森·韦尔斯
I’m telling Orson Welles
他得重来的时候
he’s got to do this thing again.
就好像是 “哇哦”
It’s like, “Whoa!”
当我拍摄别人的剧本时
You know, when I was working in somebody else’s material
我会尽力去导演
I would try to direct it.
尽量找到最贴近剧本的
I would try to find ways to make it work
演绎方式
within the way it was written.
所以 在那个时候
So, I didn’t try to change it
我并没有把它变成我个人风格的电影
into whatever my style was at the time.
我尽我所能来诠释剧本
I basically tried to interpret the material as best I could.
但是斯莫瑟斯很快就让这些努力破灭了
And Smothers got disenchanted with it very quickly.
他不喜欢我 不喜欢剧本
Wound up disliking me.Disliking the material.
不喜欢他所工作的公♥司♥
Disliking the establishment he was working for.
有一次拍摄他直接就走掉了
Literally one time he just left.
四五天没人能联♥系♥到他
Nobody could find him for four or five days.
我们拍完了电影 但并不是很理想
We finished the movie and it didn’t work.
我写了很多东西
And I had written a whole bunch of stuff
来让这部电影变得没那么差劲
to make it work
但是我说 “要么是我的风格
but I said,”Hey, it’s either
要么就别干了”
my way or the highway,”
所以第二天我就离开了
and I got on the highway the next day.
我很绝望 我完蛋了
I was devastated.I was finished.
我是说 在我的我职业生涯中
I mean,in my career I’ve had
有过这种绝望的事情发生
these devastating things happen
你得完全从头再来
where you basically have to start from scratch,
那时我真是完蛋了
and I was finished.
所以 我就回到了纽约
So, I went back to New York
我们开始拍摄《姐妹情仇》
and we started making Sisters.
姐妹情仇 (1973)
《姐妹情仇》 的想法
Sisters, I got the idea
来自《生活杂♥志♥》上的一幅图
from a picture in Life Magazine
是一对俄♥罗♥斯♥的连体双胞胎姐妹
They had these Russian Siamese twin sisters
分别叫玛莎和达莎
called Masha and Dasha
她们一起坐在沙发上
as they’re sitting together on a couch.
其中一个看上去很开心快乐
One looking kind of gay and happy,
而另一个则倒在一边
and the other one sort of slumped over to the side
看上去有些精神错乱
looking completely psychopathic.
在她们11岁时 玛莎和达莎瘫坐在沙发上
她们的第三条腿挤在她们之间 在她们年幼时
很享受别人的瞩目 但逐渐长大后她们意识到了
自己的缺陷 医生预计她们需要心理辅助
图片注释说的是 “虽然她们在成长♥期♥间
And the caption was, “Although they’re physiologically
身体健康 完全正常
perfectly normal as they develop
但他们进入青春期后
into adolescent,they’re developing
却出现了某些心理问题
certain mental problems.
身体相连接的双胞胎就叫做连体
Conjoined twins called Siamese
从第一次呼吸就开始挑战人生
challenge life with their first breath.
每件事情都很困难
There was nothing easy about it.
一开始我们只有15万美元
When we started with $150,000,
而且不受工会保护
we were non-union.
我们在斯塔滕岛拍摄时
We were shooting in Staten Island.
预算非常紧张
We were on such tight budgets.
毕竟所有的费用都要计入在内
I mean, you know,it had to be all figured out.
我还得跟所有的女演员排演
I’d rehearsed the stuff with the girls.
所有我认识的演员
I mean, you know,all the actors I knew.
查理·德宁 我让他参演了《嗨!妈妈》
Charlie Durning,I’d him put in Hi, Mom!
那是他的第一部电影
It was his first movie.
芬利呢 我和他合作过很多次
Finley, I’d worked with many movies before.
詹妮弗·索尔特 玛戈·基德
Jennifer Salt,Margot Kidder.
都和我一起共事过
Who I was working with
这基本就像我的小剧团一样
essentially my repertory company.
你是房♥子主人吗 – 我是啊
You’re the lady of the house? -Yes I am.
你一个人住吗 – 是的
You live here alone? -Yes.
今天早上有人来你家吗
Have any company this morning?
没有 – 至于分画面
Oh, no. -Well, a split screen
是我拍摄《狄俄尼索斯在69年》时想到的
I got from Dionysus In ’69.
狄俄尼索斯在69年 (1979)
我负责拍摄电影
Where I shot the narrative of a play
鲍勃·富里负责拍摄观众观看电影和
and Bob Fury shot the audience’s involvement
与演员表演时的反应
with the players and the play.
我就想到了
And I got this idea,
“把这些画面同时展示出来”
“Well, we’ll show them simultaneously.”
关于电影有一点就是
The thing about movies is that
你告诉观众该去看什么
you’re telling the audience what to look at.
当你 把镜头切换到另一个画面时
When you– You know,cut to something
你是在告诉他们
you’re saying, “Ooh!
这里的情节很重要
There’s something important going on here.
“你快看啊”
Look at that.”
分画面就是让观众可以
The thing about split screen is the audience has a chance
同时观看两个画面
to sort of put two images together simultaneously
这时他们脑海里就会有某些想法
and something happens in their head.
你在给他们一个并置
You’re giving them a juxtaposition
且对立的视角
as opposed to this.
分画面是一个
Split screen is a technique
能给你不同寻常体验的技术
that can take you out of the experience.
不过问题在于用在哪里比较合适
The idea is where it is appropriate.
当然 在《姐妹情仇》中 这种手法很有用
In Sisters of course,it worked quite well.
在詹妮弗和警♥察♥到来之前
Can I get the blood cleaned up
我能把血迹清理干净吗
before this Jennifer comes around with the police?
对我而言这完全说得通
Makes perfect sense to me.
或许有的观众会觉得很陌生
May be completely alien to some other viewer
但是当你看《乱世儿女》那种电影的时候
but you take something like Barry Lyndon.
乱世儿女 (1975)
导演 斯坦利·库布里克
我会看到这些缓慢变焦的镜头
I could see these huge, slow zoom shots.
我第一次看这部电影的时候非常不喜欢它
And when I first saw the movie I disliked it intensely.
但在我看了好多次以后
After having seen it a couple of more times
我就感觉到库布里克
I can see that Kubrick–
他在带领你进入你所置身的
He’s getting you into the time sense
那个时期的时代感
of the period you’re in.
为了让观众能够理解这个年代
In order to get people to understand this century
你不得不放缓时间
you have to slow time.
从导演来说 我确信他认为这样完全合理