I was leveled by the response to Bonfire of the Vanities.
惨败
Catastrophe.
是时候离开这里了
Time to leave town.
所以我结了婚
So, I got married.
盖尔·安妮·赫德
我有了孩子
I had a child.
我回到了
And I went back to a genre
70年代我开♥发♥的电影类型上
that I had developed in the 70’s.
对不起
I’m sorry.
对不起
I’m sorry.
我妻子和环球影业达成协议
My wife made a deal at Universal
危情羔羊 (1992)
让我俩一起拍一部电影
for us to make a movie together.
我大致有两个想法
I had two ideas basically.
一个是多重人格的角色
One was a multiple personality character.
很多年前
And many years before,
我和一个已婚妇女有过一段感情
I was having a relationship with a woman that was married.
她会在下班后来找我
And she used to come by after work
然后 你懂的 我们会做♥爱♥
and, you know, we would make love
因为她很累 她就会睡着
and because she was tired she’d fall asleep.
我记得我看着她睡觉
And I remember watching her sleeping
想着 “如果我就这样让她
thinking, “What would happen
睡一整晚会发生什么事
if I just let her sleep all night?
你要怎么跟你丈夫解释”
How would you explain that to your husband?”
哦 天啊
Oh, my God.
但问题是 《危情羔羊》的第一个故事
But the problem was that the Lolita Davidovich story
本来应该是
which should have been
洛丽塔·大卫多♥维♥奇的故事
the first story in Raising Cain,
而不是约翰·利特高那个
not the John Lithgow story
绑♥架♥儿童
with the kidnapping children
以及多重人格的故事
and the multiple personalities.
这本应该在后面出现
That’s what’s supposed to emerge later.
这本应以
It should have started with her
她去商店买♥♥钟开始
going to the shop to buy the clocks.
她遇见了斯蒂文·鲍尔
She meets Steven Bauer.
但当我把影片整合在一起时
But when I was putting the movie together,
约翰·利特高的故事太强烈了
the John Lithgow stuff was so strong
那种…我觉得
and the sort of… I guess
你们所说的肥皂剧的爱情故事
you’d say soap opera love story
不是影片最强烈的元素
was not the strongest element.
我不得不把约翰·利特高的故事
I had to pull the whole John Lithgow stuff
往前提了一点
forward into the movie.
所以电影里会有一种奇怪的感觉
And that’s why it has a particular oddness to it.
因为影片不是采用本身设想的方式整合起来的
Because it’s not put together the way it was conceived.
我不知道为什么我总让约翰·利特高演反派
I don’t know why I always cast John Lithgow as villains.
这就像是为什么比利·怀德
It’s like, Why did Billy Wilder
总让弗莱德·麦克莫瑞演反派一样
always cast Fred MacMurray as a villain
而其他人都想让他演《飞天法宝》里的教授
when everybody else wanted him as the professor in Flubber.
影片全部都是在我们家后院拍摄的
And it was all shot in our backyard.
所有的场景都在
I mean, all the locations are around the corner
我们家附近
from where we live.
盖尔和我在那里买♥♥了房♥子
Gale and I got houses up there.
我的女儿洛丽塔就出生在那里
Lolita was born, my daughter,
我们完全就是
and we were literally walking
走出家门 就开始拍电影了
outside the house and shooting.
这是我商业上最成功的电影之一
It was one of my most financially successful movies
因为我拿了
because I had like, 10%
差不多电影收益的10%
of the gross from the first dollar.
现在再来看这个电影会觉得很有趣
It’s interesting to look at the movie now
就像是在看家庭相册一样
because it’s like a family album.
爸爸在哪里
Where’s Daddy?
爸爸不在这里 亲爱的 他走了
Daddy’s not here, sweetie. He’s gone away.
爸爸在这
Daddy’s here.
不 他不在
No, he’s not.
过来 亲爱的 我们回去吧
Come on, honey, we’ve got to get back.
来妈妈这里
Come to Mommy.
盖尔和我在我们人生的
Gale and I fell together
某个特定时刻重合在了一起
at a certain time in our lives
然后我们又回到各自
and then basically went back to the lives
尚未完成的人生中
that we hadn’t finished.
在这段历程中
And we had this remarkable daughter
我们拥有了一个好女儿
in the process.
所以 尽管看起来很奇怪
So, it worked out rather well
但我们都很习惯这样的相处模式
as strange as it may seem.
就在这时我收到了《情枭的黎明》的剧本
That’s when I got the Carlito’s Way script.
情枭的黎明 (1993)
我就想 “来吧 伙计
And I thought, “Oh, boy, here we go.
阿尔·帕西诺 说西语的帮派大哥”
Al Pacino, Spanish speaking gangsters.”
这剧本太棒了 当我看完之后
But the script was so good when I finally read it
我就说 “我知道要怎么把它
I said, “I know how to make this
拍成一部好电影”
into a great movie.”
迪克·西尔伯特是
Dick Sylbert is one of the great
最好的艺术指导之一
production designers.
他工作起来是个神奇的家伙
A magical guy to work with.
轮船造型的夜♥总♥会♥的想法
The idea of the club being like a boat
来源于我们找到的第一个外景地
came from the first exterior location we found
那是一个船型的
which was a night club that was
夜♥总♥会♥
in the shape of a boat.
然后迪克依照外景
So then, Dick designed the interior
设计了内景
to go with that exterior.
后来 没错
And of course what happened
我们没能拿到那个外景
was that we lost the location.
于是我们就没有船型的外观了
So, we didn’t have that boat-like exterior,
但它成为了卡利多
but then it became an image for Carlito
向往加勒比海的一个表象
going to the Caribbean.
西恩做了头发 把我们都惊呆了
Sean, he did that hair thing, just surprised us all.
我完全不知道他会以这样卷发大背头的形象
I had no idea he was going to come back
重新出现在我们面前
with the frizzed shave backed head.
瞧瞧你自己 嗯?
Look at you. Huh?
你人生中还真做成了一件事
Really made something of your life.
我不知道
You know, I don’t know
你有没有碰到过演员们
if you’ve had this experience with actors
会特别专注在某场戏
but there’s one scene they fixate on,
这就是《情枭的黎明》里
and that was the hospital scene
医院里的那场戏
in Carlito’s Way.
我们直到开拍当天
We were rewriting that scene
都还在重写这场戏
to the day we shot it,
但他们依然不满意
and they were still unhappy with it.
放轻松 戴维 是朋友
Relax, Dave. It’s your pal.
我们把所有
We’ve got to get all the mechanics
拍电影的技巧都抛开了
of this movie-making out of the way
好让演员们可以专注表演
so the actors can act.
如果我发现有什么东西打扰到他们
If I see something that’s distracting somebody
或让他们分心了
or making them lose their concentration,
你就得把那个东西弄走
you got to get to it and get it out of their way.
导演在某种意义上是观察者
Being a director is being a watcher
要观察房♥间里许多的自我意识
in the sense that you have a lot of egos in the room.
你要去观察
And you have to sort of watch
他们是如何与彼此互动的
how they interact with each other.
因为当你身处片场时
Because when you’re on a set
你基本上是全神贯注在
you’re basically concentrating
当下发生的事情上
on what’s happening at the moment
你必须要注意到所有事情
and you’ve got to look at everything.
你没有时间去 比如说 “咖啡怎么样了”
You don’t have time, you know, say, “How’s the coffee?”
或者 “你昨晚过得好吗”
Or “Did you have a nice night last night?”
作为导演 你的工作就是完成电影
Your job as a director is to get the movie made.
如果有人发脾气
You know, if somebody loses their temper
或者你发脾气
or you lose your temper,
所有事情都得停下来
everything stops.
我们拍摄的那场追逐戏
You know, that chase we shot
是在大暑季节拍摄的
like, in the depths of the summer
我试着从一个车厢到另一个车厢地拍
and I was trying to get this shot from train to train.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!