and you could be anywhere.
在丛林里没有方向感可言
There’s no orientation in the jungle.
所以 我说 “我们做个丛林布景吧
So, I said, “Let’s build a jungle set
基本上就只是把树挪过来”
and just basically move the trees around.”
道恩还真去过那里
And Dawn actually traveled all the way there.
我想她坚持了大概五个小时
I think she lasted about five hours
然后就坐上飞机回家了
and got in a plane and went home.
那实在太可怕了
It was awful.
我想要拍出这样一种感觉
I wanted to have that sense
如果你觉得地面上的情况已经很糟了
that if you thought things were bad above ground,
你应该看看
you should see what was going on
地底下是什么情况
below ground.
要这样做的唯一方法就是直接向下挖
And the only way to do that is to crane directly down
挖出一个隧♥道♥的剖面
and show a cutaway of the tunnel
然后恐惧的感觉
and the threat moving through it,
像蚁群一样蔓延
like an ant colony.
哥伦比亚让我的电影做试映
Well, Columbia made me preview the movie
但是试映对电影帮助并不大
but the previews don’t really help much at all.
你做这些事时承受了这么多压力
You get all this pressure to do things
但是回想起来 你又非常后悔
and in retrospect, you regret it terribly.
在 《越战创伤》结尾
At the end of Casualties of War
我删掉了几场审问戏
I took out a couple of the interrogation scenes.
尤其是那个场景
Especially the one where they…
辩护律师在法庭上
They ripped Michael apart
删减片段
拼命折磨迈克尔
on the stand by the defense attorney.
你的所作所为是不是
Isn’t it true that what you went out to do
想要试图利用这一事件
is to figure out how to use this incident
离开步兵团?
to get the hell out of the infantry?
反对 – 你能找到…
Objection. – Can you find…
我删掉了这个部分
And I took that thing out.
但我最终又把它放进了更新的版本里
I ultimately put it back in the revised version
因为当你把
because if you put anything
观众反应强烈的场景放进影片里
that makes the audience react too strongly,
他们总会想要你把这些删掉
they want you to take it out.
我的电影总会惹毛观众
My movies tend to upset people a lot
所以你能想象那些
so you can imagine the things
他们会想要从我的影片里删掉的部分
they’re trying to take out of my movies.
所以我总是很激烈地跟他们争辩
And I have to fight them tooth and nail.
这类影片的试映
A preview for this kind of movie
并不能告诉你什么
really doesn’t tell you anything.
因为题材特别情绪化
I mean, the material is so emotional
特别压抑
and so depressing.
试映能告诉你什么呢
What’s a preview going to tell you?
我不想看这部电影?
I don’t want to see the movie?
我看了非常难受
It disturbed me too much.
我不知道该怎样跟我朋友说?
I don’t know what to tell my friends?
我自己都不会想要看
I find it hard to look at it myself
因为你拍的是题材如此沉重的东西
when you deal with material that’s very heartbreaking.
你还要把素材拼接起来
And you got to go to a mix
一遍一遍地看
and look at that stuff over and over again.
这就像那时每隔一天
It’s like The Best Years of Our Lives
黄金时代 (1946)
导演 威廉·惠勒
电视上就会放的《黄金时代》
was on television the other day.
其中一个小时的篇幅都在讲述那些可怜的人们
There’s an hour of those poor guys, you know,
是如何去适应他们所处的环境的
just trying to adjust to where they are.
那部影片一看
I mean, how do you look
就让人觉得难受
at that movie, it’s so upsetting.
想象一下拍摄影片的感受
Imagine making it.
这就是我对
That’s the feelings I have
《越战创伤》的感受
on Casualties of War.
■
我想起了《大幻影》
《擦鞋》和两部《教父》
■
《越战创伤》就有这种纯粹
宝琳写了一篇很棒的影评
Pauline wrote a great review.
但它没起什么作用
But it didn’t do well
当时还有很多意见不同的影评
and there were a lot of mixed reviews, you know.
没人想去看这个电影
Nobody went to see it.
真是让人失望透顶
It was a terrible disappointment.
毕竟我们很努力 我们做了非常多工作
After all that work and it was a lot of work.
他在这 – 他在这
There he is. – There he is.
我们走
Let’s go!
大家都认为
People never thought
我没看懂这本书
I understood the book.
虚荣的篝火 (1990)
我完全看懂了这本书
I understood the book perfectly.
华纳兄弟带着《虚荣的篝火》找到我
Warners came to me with Bonfire of the Vanities.
这是一个回纽约
And it was a chance to go back to New York,
拍摄一部大制片厂电影的机会
make a big studio picture and, you know,
有时候你只需要去工作
you go to work sometimes
这样就不会胡思乱想
just so you don’t have to think.
在我看来 《虚荣的篝火》的问题是
You see, my problem with Bonfire of the Vanities is
我觉得它应该像《伟大的安巴逊》一样
it should have been like The Magnificent Ambersons.
夏曼·麦科伊基本上就是一个混♥蛋♥
You know, Sherman McCoy is basically an asshole.
伟大的安巴逊 (1942)
导演 奥逊·威尔斯
这和《伟大的安巴逊》的主角很像
Much like the lead character in Ambersons,
他因为自己的傲慢毁掉了一切
who destroys everything because of his arrogance.
这也是影片应该要呈现的样子
And that’s the way the movie should’ve been.
但是后来我们得以和汤姆·汉克斯合作
But then we wound up with Tom Hanks
然后我觉得 我想冒个险
and so, I think I’ll take a gamble,
想要把他的角色变好一些
try to make him nicer.
只是不想做傻事
Just don’t want to do anything stupid.
只要保持头脑清醒 我们肯定会没事的
If we keep our heads we’ll be perfectly fine.
哦 天啊 夏曼
Oh, Jesus Christ, Sherman.
我们现在身处战场
We’re in the middle of a damn war zone
你还在担心你的举止?
and you’re worried about doing the right thing?
我的脑子里满是各种各样的想法
I had all these sort of thoughts in my mind.
这是一部大制♥作♥ 高成本的电影
This is a very big, expensive movie.
我知道可能会在哪里出问题
I knew what could go wrong with it.
它可能会跟威尔斯的电影一样
It could go the way of the Welles picture
也可能和《成功的滋味》一样
and it could also go the way of Sweet Smell of Success.
成功的滋味 (1957)
导演 亚历山大·麦肯德里克
这是麦肯德里克拍过的最成功的电影
The greatest picture Mackendrick ever made
但它也基本上断送了他的导演路
and it basically put him out of the business.
什么 廉价无聊的八卦?
What? Some cheap, gruesome gags?
你不也照样刊登?
You print them, don’t you?
《虚荣的篝火》本应这样强硬
Bonfire should have been that tough.
这样愤世嫉俗
That cynical.
但我说 如果我拍了这样一部电影
But I said if I make that picture
这将会是我职业生涯的终点
it’s going to be a career ender.
就像威尔斯 就像麦肯德里克
Like Welles, like Mackendrick,
我就会找不到工作
I’m going to be like, unemployable.
讽刺的是 电影还是引起了轰动
And the irony is it still bombed.
这本应该更加坚韧 更加强硬
It should have been tougher, harder.
所有读过原著的人都讨厌这部电影
Everybody that read the book hated the movie.
在好莱坞体制下工作的问题在于
The problem of working in the Hollywood system
人们拿着高额的收入
is the people are paid a lot of money
摆布你去做他们想要你做的事情
to get you to do what they want you to do.
这就是为什么他们会有这些工作
That’s why they have those jobs.
你可以放弃自己的原则
And you can lose your way
去顺从他们的想法
and go along with their concepts.
我从来没有见过制片厂给出的成堆的修改意见
I mean, I’ve never seen stacks of notes from the studio.
那会让你发出”哇哦”的感叹
That was like you know, “Wow.”
我做了很多让步 简直就是个灾难
I made a lot of compromises and it was disaster.
朱莉·萨拉蒙把所有的拍摄细节都写进了书里
And Julie Salamon wrote every move in it.
■
恶魔
的
糖果
朱莉·萨拉蒙
■
■
虚荣的篝火
走进好莱坞
我认为影片本身非常完美
I feel the movie, by itself, stands up perfectly fine.
电影没有任何问题 只要你不去读原著就行了
Nothing wrong with the movie, just don’t read the book.
我被人们对《虚荣的篝火》的反应打击了