And Peggy…
她的回忆是我当时心烦意乱。
Her recollection is that I was really upset.
但奇怪的是…
But… in a strange way…
我没那么心烦因为…
I wasn’t that upset because…
我肯定找到了某个想法来获得更多的东西。
I must have been getting an idea
for something more.
我想把真人电影和动画做到一起。
And I wanted to do
live action and animation both.
那就是我制♥作♥《字母表》(大卫·林奇早期实验短片)时发生的事。
That’s when I made The Alphabet.
因此,意外或摧毁某些东西
So, accidents or destroying something
能够产生某些好的东西。
can lead to something good.
那能够产生某些好的东西。
It can lead to something good.
严格控制的东西,
Very controlled things,
不是开放的…
not being open to…
你知道,就像…
You know, just like being…
就像这些边界,它们只会给你惹麻烦。
like these boundaries,
they just screw you.
你有时不得不制♥造♥巨大的混乱
And you have to sometimes make a huge mess
和巨大的错误
and make big mistakes
来找到那些东西,
to find that thing
你一直寻找的那些东西。
that you’re looking for.
就在《字母表》完成之后,
Right after The Alphabet was finished,
就在那之后,
right after it was finished,
我们那时一定移居到了波普拉街2416。
we must have moved up
to 2416 Poplar Street.
一定搬过去了,然后…
It must have been right around then…
我们需要钱。
that we needed money.
而…
And…
我在餐厅锯木头。
I was sawing wood in the dining room.
那就像…
And it was like…
知道么,自♥由♥的芬芳
You know, the sweetness of freedom
占据了这里。
was just going.
但我爱锯木头。
But I loved sawing that wood.
那是我最后的自♥由♥的夜晚。
It was my last free night.
接着我就开始上班。
And then I started this job.
当我给罗杰·拉贝罗♥干♥印刷活的时候,
When I was printing for Rodger LaPelle,
詹妮弗只有,好像,两个或三个或四个月大。
Jennifer was, like,
two or three or four months old.
我向美国电影学会
I had applied for a grant
申请了一笔拨款,
to the American Film Institute,
一笔独♥立♥电影制♥作♥人的拨款。
an independent filmmakers grant.
第一组获奖者宣布了。
The winners of the first group
were announced.
当我看获奖者名单时,
And when I read the names of the winners,
我知道我不会赢,
I knew I wouldn’t win,
因为他们都是很有来头的地下电影制♥作♥人。
’cause they were all really
well-established underground filmmakers.
所以,他们有自己的简历和那么多作品,
So, and they had their bios
and all the stuff with them,
所以我都快放弃了。我的意思是,我并未真的放弃。
so I just gave up.
I mean, I didn’t really give up.
我只是说,“这他妈根本没门”。
I just said, “There’s no fucking way.”
所以我得去干印刷活,
So I would go to work printing,
而费城,你知道,像是已经…
and Philadelphia, you know,
was, like, already…
吞噬了你的快乐,
just suck your happiness away
呣,然后用悲伤和恐惧填满你。
and, um, fill you with
a sadness and a fear.
因此,你知道,我根本没有时间去画画。
So, you know, I didn’t have
any time, really, to paint.
但罗杰会给我25美元,
But Rodger would give me $25
星期六出来画画,
to come out on Saturday and paint,
然后支付我做印刷工的薪水。
and then paid me for printing.
那让我们得以维持生计。
And that’s what kept us afloat.
一天,几个月以后,
One day, a few months later,
我告诉佩吉,“如果有任何激动人心的事发生打电♥话♥给我”,
I said to Peggy,
“call me if anything exciting happens.
“如果有什么激动人心的事发生我也会打电♥话♥给你”。
I’ll call you
if anything exciting happens.”
然后我离开去干印刷活。
And I headed out to print.
那天…
That day…
我想首先是佩吉接到一个电♥话♥。
First I think Peggy received a phone call.
因为电♥话♥响了,罗杰从楼上下来,
Because the phone rang and Rodger
came downstairs from upstairs
带着某种微笑,
sort of smiling
然后说,“有电♥话♥找你”。
and said, “The phone is for you.”
那是小乔治·史蒂文斯和托尼·维兰尼在线上,
And it was George Stevens Jr.
and Tony Vellani on the line,
他们说,“大卫,我们…”
and they said, “David, we’re…”
大概是说,“我们非常高兴的告诉你,
Something like,
“we’re very happy to tell you
你赢得了一笔
that you have won a grant
来自美国电影学会的拨款”。
from the American Film Institute.”
知道吗…
And, you know…
那简直是…
It just…
改变整个生活的一通电♥话♥。
Total life-changing phone call.
在屋子里,
In the house,
我差不多着手开始布置。
I kind of had started to have a setup.
当我开始制♥作♥电影,我就在这里用
And when I made the film,
I had all these rooms
所有这些房♥间来拍摄。
to shoot the film right there.
我只用了很少一点外景。
I only had a couple of scenes outside.
这真是…
It was just…
这真是太完美了。
It was just perfect.
托尼·维兰尼坐火车来费城,
Tony Vellani came up to Philadelphia
on the train
我们一起拍摄了《外祖母》。
and we filmed The Grandmother.
托尼开心死了。
Tony flipped out.
我开车送他去火车站,
I drove him back to the train station,
在路上他说,
and on the way he said,
“大卫,我觉得你应该
“David, I think you should go
去洛杉矶的高等电影研究中心”。
to the Center for Advanced
Film Studies in Los Angeles.”
好吧…
Well…
我乐得要死,几乎升上天堂,
I almost died and went to heaven,
因为他告诉我的这些话。
just him telling me that.
我看过这个中心的小册子,
I’d seen this booklet of the mansion
所有的东西那里面都有,
and all the stuff going on there,
我只是看着这个小册子,
and I would just look at this booklet
梦想着这个地方,
and dream about this place,
现在有个人告诉我,你知道吗,
and here is somebody telling me, you know,
很可能他要帮我到那儿去。
basically he’s gonna help me get there.
你要一个圆蛋糕吗?
You want a round cake?
一个圆蛋糕。好的。
– A round cake.
– Okay.
你能打个点吗?
Can you make a dot?
一个带蜡烛的蛋糕。
A cake with a candle.
带蜡烛的蛋糕。
Cake with a candle.
热狗!
Hot dog!
小朋友们在这儿。
Here are the babies here.
小朋友在这儿。
There are the babies.
这是给小朋友们的蛋糕。
And there’s the cookies for the babies.
小蛋糕。
Little tiny cookies.
小小的。美味的。
Little tiny. Yum.
我想…
I thought…
就是这样。
That’s it.
某种程度上,你的生活结束了。
In some way, your life is over.
但…
But…
这也确实是发生我身上最好的事情。
it was actually the best thing
that could’ve happened to me.
因为,你知道,
Because, you know,
有确定的事情出现了,
there are certain things that come along
那把你小天地中弄出去。
that get you off the dime.
你知道我意思吧?
You know what I mean?
而…
And…
但看起来似乎我肯定会在那儿。
but it seemed like I was gonna be there.
因为站起来四处走动…
‘Cause to get up and move…
我有那幢巨大的房♥子。
I had that huge house.
It was such a setup.
但我不知道…我根本算不得悲惨。
But I didn’t know.. It wasn’t
that I was miserable at all
只是,呣…
It’s just, um…
那就…像是…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!