Uh, you know, “Let me know.”
于是我去了那儿,午夜时分,钟声敲响。
And so I went across over there,
midnight, rang the bell.
那个人让我进去了。
This guy lets me in.
在前面是某种就像,呃…
In the front was a kind of like, uh…
铺着一些方形地砖,
had, like, those square tiles,
绿色带点白色,
green and kinda white,
那儿有一台自动售烟机,一台可乐机。
and it had a cigarette machine,
a Coke machine,
几个沙发和一张桌子。
some couches and a desk.
因此那前面有点像一间接待室
So it was kind of like
a lobby room in the front.
接着是这个大门,带有玻璃窗格,
Then there was this big door
with a glass pane in it and wire in the glass,
一个门把手,黄铜之类的门把手。
and a doorknob, a brass doorknob or something.
你推开门,进入走廊,
You open up that, go down this corridor,
现在你就进来了,后面的房♥间是他们做那些事的地方。
and now you’re in, you know,
the back room where they do everything.
但没人在工作,因为是夜里。
But nobody was working
’cause it’s night.
我走进冷藏室,然后,知道么,
And I went into the cold room
and, you know
他关上我身后的门。
He closed the door behind me.
呣,我就在那坐着,差不多坐在地板上,
And, um, so I’m in there sitting,
uh, kind of on the floor
那里有一些人,看起来像,睡在床上。
and there’s these, like, bunk beds.
所有这些人都死了,
All these people dead
你知道,尸体围绕着我,
you know, bodies all around me,
呣,我差不多只是坐在那儿
and, um, I just sort of sat there
并且,呃,感受着。
and, uh, felt it.
那是…
It was…
很奇怪的感觉。
It was strange.
然后我就回家了。
And then I went home.
让你神往的是,你想知道每一个人的故事。
The thing that gets you is that
you wonder the story of each one.
你想知道这故事。
You wonder the story.
他们是谁,他们做过什么,他们怎么来到这里。
Who they were, what they did,
how they got there.
让你陷入沉思。
Just makes you think.
而…
And…
让你神游在故事里。
it makes you think of stories.
这是1967年…
This was 1967…
我住在
and I was living
阿斯彭街2429号♥。
at 2429 Aspen Street.
佩吉那个时候,
Peggy had, at that time,
差不多也搬来2429号♥。
sort of started moving in to 2429.
我接到个电♥话♥,
And I get a call
我爸将要出差,
that my father had to make a trip
从加利福尼亚到华盛顿特区之类地方,
from California
out to, say, DC or something,
他想要来费城看看我。
and he would like to come up
and visit, uh, in Philadelphia.
所以我说,“哦,上帝啊”。
So I said, “Oh, my God.”
我不得不做些安排。
I had to make arrangements.
佩吉不得不搬出去。
Peggy had to move out.
呃,不是搬出去,只是不再那儿了。
Uh, not move out, but not be there.
而…
And…
于是我们待了一会。
and we had a visit.
在他到访即将结束的时候我说,
And just near the end of the visit I said,
“我想给你看些东西”。
“Oh, I gotta show you some stuff.”
啊,我带他到地下室,
And, uh, I took him down to the basement,
那里,差不多是,
which was, like,
泥土地面,非常旧。
earthen floor, really old.
蜘蛛网之类的东西遍布天花板。
Cobwebs and stuff
all around the ceiling level.
还有很脏的地下室窗户。
And dirty basement windows.
但我放置了这些小桌子,
But I’d set up these little tables,
小小的,像个平台,用木头之类做的。
little, like, platforms
out of wood and stuff,
我在那做所有这些试验。
and I had all these experiments going.
比如,我想看看水果经过一个较长时期会怎样,
Like, I wanted to see what fruit
would do after a long period
水果的不同阶段以及它是怎样腐烂的。
different stages of fruit
and how it would decay.
我有一些死鸟,我有塑料包着的老鼠,
And I had some dead birds
and I had my mouse in plastic
我还有,你知道,一大堆我收集的东西。
and I had, you know,
a bunch of stuff I’d collected.
所以我想把这些跟我爸分享。
So I wanted to share this with my father.
所以我带他去地下室。
So I took him down to the basement.
光线非常昏暗。
And it’s pretty dim light.
看着我这些东西,我和他一起共同分享,不是吗?
And looking at these things
I’m sharing with him, right?
他看着那些东西。
And he’s looking at them.
接着我们返回上面,
So then we went back up,
我们在楼梯上,我走在他前面,
and we were on the stairway,
and I was ahead of him,
我微笑起来,呃,对我自己。
and I was smiling, uh, to myself.
他来看这些东西简直太好了。
It was great that he got to see this.
我差不多带着微笑转身。
And I kind of turned with a smile.
当我们上楼梯的时候我转身朝向他,
As we were going up the stairs
I turned back toward him,
我看到我爸脸上那种痛苦的表情。
and I see this pained expression
on my father’s face,
他把它对我掩藏起来。
which he was hiding from me.
然后我回到卡车上,
Then I got back in the truck
我们开车去火车站。
and we were driving back
to the, uh, railroad station,
那是在卡车里,
and it was in that truck
开去车站的时候,
driving back, uh, to the station
他对我说,“大卫?”
that he said to me, “Dave?”
我说,“嗯?”
I said, “Yeah?”
“我觉得你永远不该有小孩”。
“I don’t think you should
ever have children.”
他为我感到担心。
He was worried about me.
但在我内心,我觉得没什么可担心的。
But inside me
I felt there was nothing to worry about.
不过我仍然理解他为什么要那么说。
But I still understood why he said it.
他误解,呣,误解我的试验,
He misunderstood, um, my experiments
因为,呣…
for, um…
某种,呃…
some kind of, uh…
类似,恶魔般的,你知道,
like, diabolical, you know,
那种需要心理救助的人,
man who needs serious help,
在智力上和心理上可能都需要。
mentally and probably emotionally.
这里面讽刺的是,
The ironic part of this is,
我和我爸都不知道,
unbeknownst to me and my father,
佩吉,就在那时候,怀孕了。
Peggy, at that very moment, was pregnant.
所以,呃,那是…
So, uh, that…
那是很有趣的。
that’s… uh, interesting.
我开始做一个…
I started doing a…
某种分画面的…
kind of a split-screen…
装置作品,
thing,
那就是玛丽·费斯克
and it was gonna be Mary Fisk
在三分之一的屏幕上跳舞,
dancing on one-third of the screen
而…
and…
另外三分之二的屏幕是某种动画。
on the other two-thirds an animated thing.
所以我花了两个月时间画那些动画。
So I animated that thing for two months.
我的摄影机里有一百英尺的胶片。
And I had a hundred feet of film
in the camera.
我不知道从技术上我到底做了什么,
And I didn’t know technically
what I was doing really,
但我从摄影机里拿出这一百尺胶卷,
but I took the hundred-foot roll
out of the camera,
拿到实验室,
took it to the lab,
过了一些天我拿了回来。
and a couple of days later I got it back.
我站在门口,
And I was standing in the doorway
因为我打开了门,所以我能让阳光照进来,
’cause I opened the door
so I could get sunlight and just
我想检查一下开头一部分,
I just wanted to check the first part,
make sure everything was okay.
所以我往外拉,有很多胶卷在里面。我拽出一些。
So I unspool, there’s a lot of liter on it.
You know, and I unspool some more.
而我在上面找不到任何东西。我又拽出一些。
And I can’t find anything.
I unspool some more.
我突然意识到,
And it dawns on me
这整卷底片都是模糊的。
that this entire roll of negative is a blur.
而佩吉…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!