So we decided we were gonna go do that.
但那似乎,甚至都算不得半生不熟的想法,
But it was, like, not even half-baked,
these ideas.
所以我们准备去那待三年,
So we were gonna go for three years.
但…
And…
我们15天就回来了,
But we came back in 15 days.
所以杰克真是我最好的朋友。
So Jack was, really, my best friend.
但当杰克和我从欧洲回来,
But when Jack and I came back from Europe,
我们有了一次非常严重的争吵。
we had a pretty big falling out.
接下来我听说他上了宾夕法尼亚艺术学院,
Next thing I hear is he’s up at
the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts,
那使我真心为他感到高兴。
which made me really happy for him.
但…布♥什♥内尔
But… Bushnell
还有其他一些画家在那个地区…
and some of the painters in that area…
我会去布♥什♥内尔那里,每天跟他喝咖啡。
I would go to Bushnell’s and have
coffee with him, you know, every day.
所以他有了这个主意,他说,
And so he got this idea that he said,
“让我们都冷落大卫。
“Let’s all snub David.
让我们把他的生活弄得很悲惨。
Let’s make life miserable for him.
那或许他就会回学校念书”。
And then maybe
he’ll wanna go back to school.”
那就是他们所做的。我到了那儿,他们几乎不和我说话。
And that’s what they did.
I’d go over there, they’d hardly talk to me.
我就经历着这样奇怪的感觉,
And I just, I’d get this strange feeling,
而杰克告诉我他过得多么好。
and Jack telling me how good it was.
一天,我说,“布♥什♥,我觉得我应该…回学校上课”。
One day, I said, “Bush, I think
I’m gonna go to… back to school.”
他就说,“好啊,对你来说这很好”。
And he said, “well, bully for you.”
他秘密给学校写了一封信,
He wrote a letter, secretly, to the school,
一封强力举荐我的信…
a really powerful
letter on my…
我直到后来才知道这回事。
I did never know about it till way later.
当我去那儿上学的时候,
When I went up there to school,
他们不仅仅接受了我,
they not only accepted me,
还把我放到高级班。
but they put me in advanced classes.
我没有为之做任何事情。
And it wasn’t anything to do with my work.
全是布♥什♥内尔做的。
It was Bushnell doing it.
这太伟大了。
It was great.
首先,是的,我想去那儿,
First of all,
yeah, I wanted to go up there
因为杰克说那儿很棒。
’cause Jack said it was good.
但费城是这个世界上我最不想去的几个地方之一。
But Philadelphia was one of the last places
in the world I ever wanted to go.
费城的某些方面我不太喜欢。
There’s something about Philadelphia
that I didn’t like,
因此等我到了那儿…
and so when I got…
然后你穿过一座桥,
and then you go across a bridge
那桥带你通往费城,
and that bridge takes you.
在桥上,我一直在说,
So, on the bridge, I was saying,
“我不在费城,我不在费城,我不在费城”。
“I’m not in Philadelphia, I’m not
in Philadelphia, I’m not in Philadelphia.”
然后我走到桥中♥央♥,我说,
Then I got halfway over the bridge
and I said,
“我在费城,我在费城”。
“I’m in Philadelphia, I’m in Philadelphia.”
我只是不愿相信。
And I just couldn’t believe it.
【宾夕法尼亚艺术学院学生威廉·布朗拍摄的照片】
费城…
Philadelphia…
某种意义上是穷♥人♥的纽约。
was kind of a poor man’s New York City.
所以它是个怪异的城市。
So it was a weird town.
它是某种破旧的城镇。
It was a kind of a mean town.
一个女人,她是我邻居。
One woman, who was my neighbor,
散发着尿骚味。
reeked of urine.
她是一个十足的种族主义者。
And she was a complete racist.
还有另外一个女人,
There was another woman
她完全疯了。
who was totally crazy.
她是一个邻居,和她父母住在街那头。
She was a neighbor,
lived down the street with her parents.
她会在后院里四处爬,
And she would go around the backyard
on her hands and knees
并且象只鸡那样大声叫,
and squawk like a chicken
一边说着,“我是一只鸡,我是一只鸡”,
and say, “I’m a chicken, I’m a chicken”
一边叫啊,叫啊,
and squawk and squawk
爬啊,爬啊,在她们家后院的草地上。
and go around and around
in this tall white grass in her backyard.
有天她在街上向我走来…
She came up to me one day on the street…
她说,“哦,我的奶头受伤了!”
and she said, “Oh, my nipples hurt!”
她挤着她的乳♥房♥♥
And she was squeezing her breast and
站在我面前,挤着并抖动着…
standing in front of me,
squeezing ’em and shaking ’em…
“我的奶头受伤了!”
“my nipples hurt!”
就是那样一个人,在那儿,
Then there is, uh, that person
I walked by, you know,
去杂货店买♥♥点香烟或什么东西。
going to the store
to get some smokes or something.
我走到街那头。
I’m walking down the street.
有一个很不错的女人和她的小宝宝…
There’s a very nice lady
with her little boy…
她宝宝坐在她大腿上,坐在门廊外,
her little baby on her lap
out on the stoop.
我经过她们。
I’m walking by.
我说,“你好吗?”
I say, “how you doing?”
“你好吗?你好吗?”
“how you doing? How you doing?”
她转向她的小宝宝说,
She turned to her baby and said,
“你长大了要是象那样我他妈就宰了你”。
“You grow up like that
and I’ll fucking kill you.”
有一种深深的,
There was a thick,
深深的恐惧
thick fear
在空气中。
in the air.
有一种病态的、腐烂的
There was a feeling
of sickness, corruption…
种族仇恨的感觉。
of racial hatred.
但费城对于艺术创作来说真是太完美了。
But Philadelphia
was just perfect to spark things.
学生们都很棒,
And the students were great,
他们是匠人。
and they were workers.
我们有一帮志同道合的人,
And we had a kind of camaraderie,
那就像是艺术生活,呃,艺术精神生生不息
and it was like the art life,
uh, the art spirit was alive and well.
费城是我的艺术生涯开始的地方…
Philadelphia was what started…
一个开始,呃…
started, uh…
这对我来说太好了。
It was so good for me.
非常、非常好。
Really, really good.
尽管我活在恐惧中,
Even though I lived in fear,
我有着某种,呣…
I’ve kind of, um, uh…
就是…
It was…
颤栗…
thrilling…
我…
I…
有个类似小隔间的地方
had some kind of a cubicle set up
就在学院的油画工作室里。
in this painting studio at the academy.
当我走进我的小隔间,
And when I went into my little cubicle,
那就会非常私密。
it was very private.
四周还会有像那样的其他小隔间。
And there were other cubicles
like that around.
但是大家能在私密的地方工作。
But people could work in privacy.
我画了一幅油画,
And I was painting a painting
大概四英尺见方。
about four-foot square.
它几乎是黑色的,
And it was mostly black,
但有一些绿色植物和树叶
but it had some green plant and leaves
从黑色里显出来。
coming out of the black.
从那幅画里,
And from the painting
我听到了风声。
I heard a wind.
绿色开始流动。
And the green started moving.
于是我想,“哦!
And I thought, “Oh!
一幅流动的画,但带着声音”。
A moving painting, but with sound.”
那个想法直插♥我♥的内心。
And that idea stuck in my head.
一幅流动的画。
A moving painting.
一个晚上…
One night…
我遇到个停尸房♥的守夜人。
I met the man
who was the night man at the morgue
在Pop’s Diner餐馆,
at Pop’s Diner,
我说,“我很想去那儿…
and I said, “I sure would like
to come over there and…
去,呃,去看看…
and, uh, see…
而他说,“去前告诉我一声”。
And he said, “Let me know.”
呃,知道么,““告诉我一声””。