and my father…
不再乘坐公共汽车,或开车去工作,
instead of taking a bus
or driving to work,
很多时候,穿着他的林♥业♥局♥制♥服♥
would, many days,
wear his forest service uniform
戴着一个宽边牛仔帽…
and a ten-gallon cowboy hat…
走出前门,走着去华盛顿特区。
and walk out the front door
and walk into DC.
对我来说这太老土了…
It was so uncool to me…
呃,看他穿成这样动身,牛仔帽和那套制♥服♥。
uh, to see him going off in this, uh,
cowboy hat and this uniform.
但是回过头看,那种事总是发生在孩子的想法里,
But then later,
as it always happens with kids,
呃,现在回想起来,那似乎是非常酷的。
uh, now it seems, uh, supercool.
你知道,他就是他自己那么个人。
And he was his own guy, you know.
他才不在乎身旁会发生什么。
He didn’t give a shit
about what was going on.
这就是他那样一个人。
This was what he was.
由于我爸在一个农场长大,
Since my father grew up on a ranch,
你不得不…
and you had to…
如果什么东西坏了,你就必须修好它。
if something’s broke, you have to fix it.
我们也总是在建造一些东西。
And we were always building things.
总是规划。
Always projects.
总是在周末工作,一件又另一件事。
Always, you know, working
on one thing or another on the weekends.
所以某种程度上这印在你脑子里
So this kind of goes into your brain
那就是如果你能完成这些工作,你就会得到快乐。
that you can do these things,
and they’re fun.
这让所有这些工作变得非常快乐。
It made all this work really fun.
他是一个,呃,一个科学研究者。
And he was, uh, a research scientist.
意思是,他深入观察很多东西。
Meaning, he was, uh, looking into things.
很多很多…东西,
There’s a lot of… things,
比如当你钉住一个甲虫,
like when you punch a pin into a bug,
它有着不可思议的构造
there’s incredible textures
即便是个小甲虫。
just to a little bug.
不可思议的昆虫的腿,
Incredible legs on insects,
和翅膀
and wings
和内脏。
and innards.
难以置信。
It’s unbelievable.
我想拥有一个工作室,在布♥什♥内尔的工作室里,
I wanted to get a studio
in Bushnell’s studio,
他租了一个房♥间给我。
a room he was renting me.
我记得是一个月40美分。
I think it was 40 bucks a month.
而我爸,上帝保佑他,他说他会付一半如果我付另一半的话。
And my father, bless his heart,
said he would pay half if I paid half.
所以我在赫利的杂药店里找了份工作
So I got a job at Hurley’s Drugstore
在晚上送处方。
delivering prescriptions at night.
一次我在白天走进药店,
One time I came in during the daytime,
我走到饮料机那里取一杯可乐。
and I went to the soda fountain
to get a Coke.
杰克·费斯克是个冷饮售货。
And Jack Fisk was the soda jerk.
这时他说,“我听说你有个工作室”。
And so he said,
‘I hear you have a studio.”
我说,“是啊”。
And I said, “Yeah.”
他说,“你希望和别人一起分租那间工作室吗?”
He said, “Uh, you want somebody else
to share the rent with that?”
于是很快的,杰克也开始画画,所有时间都和我待在那儿,
Then pretty soon, Jack was painting
all the time down there with me,
而那房♥子太小了。
and it was too small.
所以杰克和我弄了三间各不相同的工作室。
So then Jack and I got
three more different studios.
这时我知道,呃,我的东西糟透了。
And I knew, uh, my stuff sucked.
但我需要去参透…
But I needed to burn through…
我需要找到什么才是我的东西。
I needed to find what was mine.
而找到它的唯一办法就是
And the only way to find it
不断的画啊,画啊
is just to keep painting and keep painting
画啊
and keep painting
看看我能不能抓住点什么。
and see if you catch something.
我爸希望我放学后在晚上11点回家。
My father wanted me home
at 11:00 on school nights.
我不想在11点就回来。
I didn’t wanna come home at 11:00.
心里只想着画画。
All I wanted to do was paint.
所以我们大吵了一架。
So we had a big fight.
我们从未吵过架。
And we never had fights.
但在这个特殊时刻,真的糟透了。
But this particular time,
it was really bad.
我记得,似乎很可怕。
And I remember, like, you know,
it was terrible.
我说我想在外面待到超过11点,
And I said I wanted
to stay out later than 11:00,
我可能是这么说的,“嗯,我准备在外面待到11点以后”。
and I might have said something like,
‘well, I’m going to stay out later than 11:00.”
我爸爸就说,“好,
And my father said, “fine,
那你就不再是这个家里的一分子了”。
you are no longer a member
of this family.”
随后他拂袖而去
And he just left the room.
而这给我很大打击,就像一记要命的重拳。
And this hit me like
a, you know, sucker punch.
你知道,真的是这样。
You know, just really.
我起身去我的房♥间。
And I went up to my room.
我记得我那时就觉得,整个世界一片荒芜。
And I remember I just was,
like, you know, devastated.
但后来布♥什♥内尔打电♥话♥给我爸。
But then Bushnell called my father.
因为我跟他解释了情况。
‘Cause I explained to him,
you know, what it was.
他对我爸爸说…
And he said to my father…
他说,“我不想干涉您的任何事情,
He said, “I don’t wanna interfere
with any of your business,
但我想让你知道每一天,
but I would like to let you know
that every day,
大卫每天来这儿都在画画。
David comes down here and is painting.
他没有到处瞎混。
He’s not goofing around.
我希望我儿子能象他那样有自己爱做的事,
And I wish my son
had something that he loved to do
并象他那样做事。
and, you know, was working like this.
我觉得重要的是你要明白他真的很在乎这个,
I just think it’s important that you know
he’s real serious about this
并且他非常非常的努力”。
and he’s really working.”
这些话对我爸非常奏效。
And so this went a long way with my dad.
我认为经过那次,我就可以在任何我想要的时间回家了,
And I think after that,
I could come home any time I wanted,
真是太棒了。
and it was totally cool.
世上真的不可能再有比他更好的父亲。
You really couldn’t ask
for a better father.
他内心没有任何的歪门邪道。
He didn’t have
any kind of deviousness in him.
他干净纯粹
He was really pure
他极其公正,
and he was super fair,
就是天生的诚实和公正。
just naturally honest and fair.
无论何时我想要做什么,他的第一反应是,
Whenever I wanted anything,
his first thing was,
“在半路等我”
“meet me halfway.”
于是我不得不做某件事情,而他也会做这件事。
I’d have to do something,
and he would do something.
呣,我确实认为
And I just, um, saw that
这是难能可贵的。
as a super good, you know, thing.
我会在他的帮助下得到我想要的,
I would be able to get
what I wanted with his help,
但我也不得不去做这件事。
but I had to do something too.
准备好了吗?
Are you ready?
哦,妈的
Oh, shit.
操
Oh, fuck.
去她娘的
Oh, you motherfucker.
在十年级的时候,阳光终于回来了。
In the tenth grade,
the sunshine starts coming back.
那时我结识了一大帮不同的朋友,
Then I made a whole bunch
of different friends,
开始有了一个好的转变。
and that started a good turn.
现在,所有这些新朋友,我们也会整天泡在夜店里,
Now, all those new friends,
we would go into DC all the time,
那那不再是同样的黑暗狂欢,
but it wasn’t the same dark vibe,
所以我还继续活着。就像,也许现在我有了三种生活,
so I still was living,
like, maybe three lives now
因为我有这些朋友,我要和他们一起做些事情,
because I had those friends
and I would do stuff with them,
我有我的家庭生活,我要在家里做些事情,
I had my home life
and would do stuff there,
此外,呃,我还有工作室。
and then I had the, uh, studio.
所以你用一种方式做事、说话和思考
So you act and speak and think one way
在这个环境里,
in this environment,
然后你做事、说话和思考又在另一个完全不同的环境里。