有一天在圣塔莫尼卡,我带他去看样片
We did a little show-and-tell.
我们还做了简报
Most of our miniature photography was over at that time
那时多数模型戏都拍完了
and we drug out a few things and showed him
我们找出一些东西给他看
and he was very polite. Nice man.
他非常有礼貌,是个大好人
We went through everything, he was very reserved, he asked a few questions.
我们看过一些东西,他有所保留,也问了一些问题
We politely answered, and we went into the screening room.
我们礼貌地回答,走进放映室
And Katy had said, “Just tie together 10 minutes of your better shots and run them.”
凯蒂说:“剪接出最棒的十分钟画面播放”
So the Vangelis music started to play
范吉利斯的音乐响起
the seats started to rumble
椅子开始动个不停
and we ran through the thing.
我们看了影片
The lights came back up
灯光再度亮起
Philip Dick turned around and looked right through the back of my head.
菲利普迪克转身,眼神锐利慑人
And he said, “How is this possible? How did this happen?
他说:“这怎么可能?这怎么可能?
It’s like you guys hardwired my brain.
你们是不是侵入我的脑子里?
That’s what I saw when I was writing that story.
那就是我写故事时看到的画面
I don’t understand this. How can this happen?”
我不理解。怎么会发生这种事?”
And the compliment came when he said:
他给我们的赞美就是
“By the way, could you run that reel for me again? I wanna see it once more.”
“对了,能让我再看一次吗?我想再看一次”
So he asked them to rerun the thing and I’m told that he enjoyed it very much.
他要他们再播放一次,我听说他非常喜欢
He was completely blown away.
他真的是乐坏了
Could not believe it, that something so serious was happening with his book
无法相信这是他书里的内容
and we were friends thereafter.
从此以后我们成了朋友
When I think about it now
我现在回想起来
in comparison to what we’re doing today with computers and everything
比较起现在的科技,有电脑跟很多设备
巴德·约金,投资人
it– Was just amazing.
那部片真的是太神奇了
Everything was really done, because you can feel that when you watch a film.
我们做得非常好,因为你看到时会有那种感觉
达丽尔·汉娜,普莉丝饰演者
I think when you see a film
你看到一部电影
and it’s a in-camera effect it feels real.
其中的特效全是在摄影机前完成的,那感觉非常真实
We were all very impressed with the work in Blade Runner.
我们都很赞叹 银翼杀手 的效果
And to this day, I think that it’s a high-water mark.
直到今天我都认为,那部电影设下了极高的标准
And the work, for the most part, still stands up very well.
片中大部分的镜头至今来说还是非常棒
For me, there was an interesting thing that happened
对我来说,这是一件很有趣的事
because I knew, and we knew, how few visual-effects shots we had in the movie.
因为我们知道在片中特效镜头非常少
Compared to Star Wars or Close Encounters
比较起 星球大战 或 第三类接触
or anybody else’s you know, big effects movies.
或其他的大型特效片
It was like a third of the number of shots.
我们的特效镜头只有三分之一
But the fact that the effects shots didn’t stick out like a sore thumb
事实上那些特效镜头并不突兀
they were just integrated into this big, amazing event
它们被融合进一部成效惊人的电影里
made it seem like there were more effects shots than there were.
所以看起来比实际上更多、更突出
It was very pleasing to see it, you know, fit together so seamlessly.
能看到如此天衣无缝的结合感觉非常棒
You take a look at how these images were expanding the story
看看那些画面如何丰富故事的内容
and everyone on our crew, they got it.
每个剧组人员都做得很好
My whole team got it
我的小组做到了
and they got it bigtime.
他们表现得很好
后制问题
展现魔力
Ridley and I decided to see this film before we showed it to Tandem on our own.
雷德利跟我决定在给坦德公♥司♥看之前,先自己看过一遍
So we sit there, the lights go down
我们就坐在那儿,灯光熄灭
and we never said a word through the entire film.
我们一个字也没说,看完整部电影
And when the lights came up, Ridley said:
当灯光亮起后,雷德利说
特里·罗林斯,剪辑监督
“l think it’s marvelous, but what the fuck does it mean?”
“我觉得很棒,可是到底有他妈的什么意义?”
And we knew then that we had some restructuring to do and a lot of work to make this thing work.
我们马上知道架构需要重整,这下重建工程可大了
It didn’t mean changing everything around
我们不是要改变所有片段
it meant getting into each of the scenes and developing them more.
而是深入每个片段让剧情发展得更深
When the film was first screened for us at the Ladd Company
当电影在拉德公♥司♥首映时
it was a very long cut, it was a very dark, you know, story.
电影非常长,是一个黑暗的故事
杰夫·沃克,市场顾问
It was impenetrable on some levels in terms of
跟最后决定的版本比起来在许多层面上都难以理解
that’s why they eventually decided to add the voiceover
经过许多争议加上了旁白
and there was all of that kind of controversy of how do you make this more accessible.
好让观众能够理解
In a rough cut and they showed it to Hampton one day
在样片首映后,汉普顿先看过
then showed it to me the next day so we wouldn’t run into each other or anything.
第二天再拿给我看,避免我们互相遇到
大卫·皮普尔斯,编剧
And Hampton was kind of horrified by the picture.
汉普顿真的有点被影片吓到了
I hated the assemblage, everything.
我恨透了他们的组合手法
汉普顿·范彻,执行制片人、编剧
I said, “l told you guys that you didn’t have an ending,” you know?
我说:“你们根本没有结局”,懂吧?
It was at Warner Bros., over in the screening room, the amphitheater.
当时是在华纳兄弟的露天剧场试映院
And we go in a room and we start talking and I’m furious.
我们走进会议室开始讨论,我当时气坏了
He says, “You’ve ruined it.”
他说:“你毁了这部片”
雷德利·斯科特,导演
Which made me feel really bad the screening out at the valley.
我真的觉得从巷道拍摄出去的那一场很糟糕
He had no idea what it takes to put a film together like that.
他完全不知道拍摄这样一部电影的过程有多困难
And that scared me more than anything that somebody would say that.
我真的很害怕有人会说出这样的话来
You know, I mean that thing’s four hours long.
那部片大概有 4 小时长
And there was a three-page scene I’d written that was now 14 minutes long, right?
我 3 页的剧本剪出来居然有 14 分钟长
I mean, it was quite startling but it also magical and awesome and stunning.
真的让人很震惊,但又充满了魔力与伟大之处,相当出色
When the film finished shooting, we showed what we had and they didn’t like it, of course.
结束拍摄后我们给他们看结果,他们当然不喜欢
And then we took it back to England because we were going to mix the picture in England
然后我们拿去英国,因为我们必须在英国混音
so we did our cut back home.
所以我们在那里剪片
补拍,伦敦
In the school holidays, rather than bum around the house
学校放假的时候,与其宅在家里
we’d actually go, if we could go, and work.
我们会觉得,不如出去工作
Get production experience somehow.
吸取一些制片的经验
Or, you know, in this case, go into the editing rooms with Terry Rawlings and Blade Runner.
对我们来说,就是能跟特里·罗林斯进剪辑室,剪辑 银翼杀手
杰克·斯科特,雷德利·斯科特之子
We were labeling film cans, and
我们整天都在替胶片盒写标签
you know, doing all the trim bins and cataloguing of things
修剪胶片、把东西分类
and making tea and go and get curry for lunch, you know.
还有泡茶、出外买♥♥咖厅饭当午餐等等的
But that was a great experience just to watch the– To be able to go through all the footage.
不过光是能看过所有镜头,就已经是很珍贵的经验了
We were given this responsibility, when you’ve got a white glove on
我们的责任是戴上白手套
and you’re winding this stuff through
不断转着影片
and you stop and go, “That’s interesting.
然后突然停下来说:“这个有趣
What the hell’s that?” You know?
卢克·斯科特,雷德利·斯科特之子
那是什么鬼东西?”
And then Terry’d go: “Yeah. Jake, Luke, come and have a look at this.”
然后特里说:“杰克、卢克,快过来看这个”
And it’s filled with smoke and he’s chuffing away.
镜头充满了烟,他在那边吞云吐雾
It’s all very dark and there’s this steam back in there
镜头非常暗,充满了蒸气
and it smells of celluloid and smoke and sweat.
电影胶片、烟与汗的味道
There was all of these “Scene Missing” frames would come up.
然后还有一堆“待补片段”跑出来
And I’d go, “Yeah, but what’s that? What’s the ‘Scene Missing’ bit?”
我说:“那是什么啊?什么‘待补片段’?”
But it was absolutely remarkable.
不过实在太精采了
You’d kind of go: “Oh, my God. I’ve never seen anything like it.”
你会想说:“我的天哪,我从没看过这样的东西”
Went back and stared to edit through–
回去开始剪辑
The attractive thing was editing through the English summer into the autumn.
从夏天一直到秋天,在英国进行剪辑真的很有趣
Bud and I and Robin French, who was one of our partners
巴德跟我还有罗宾·法兰区,他也是我们一的合伙人
we spent, I think, six weeks in England with Ridley, you know, cutting the film.
我们跟雷德利大约花了六周来剪这部片
杰里·佩伦乔,投资人
And doing all the special effects and whatever else.
加上一堆特效等等
And it was– You know, it was a lot of tug of wars
可以想象这是一场激烈的拔河赛
what should stay in, what shouldn’t stay in.
什么该剪,什么不该剪
They would come over to see things
他们会进来看我们工作
and the trouble is no matter what we did, they didn’t like it.
问题是不论我们怎么剪,他们都不喜欢
Took out a ton of things that I felt were necessary and we had to cut the film down.
剪去了一堆我认为必要的东西,还得缩减电影的长度
We also had a legal right at that time
我们当时也有法定的权利
巴德·约金,投资人
that Warner Bros. had the right to– Anything over two hours
华纳兄弟有权利,任何超过两小时的影片
they could take out if they wanted to.
他们都可以剪去多余的时间
What you reading?
你在读什么?
Old favorite. Treasure Island.
经典名著,金银岛
I think the first scene to be dropped was the Holden hospital scene.
我想第一个被剪的就是霍尔登在医院的那一场戏
Basically, there was lots of trimming going on.
基本上这一段被修剪了很多
You know, taking things out.
剪去了不少东西
When he comes back, having been beaten by Leon
当他跟里昂打斗后回来
and he takes her back to his place he’s washing at the sink.
他把她带回他的住处,他正在水槽洗脸
And it was much, much longer.
原本应该更长的
And sort of hypnotic.
几乎像是催眠般地
She just wanted to look at him.
她只是看着他
And she just watched him for ages.
看着许久许久
You had far more detail of him washing
他清洗的细节都还在
and the blood coming from his mouth
血从他牙齿流出来
and she slowly got closer and closer.
她靠得越来越近
And that was wonderful.
那一幕真的很棒
And the scene where he kisses her against the wall