And then I used VW chassis for most of the smaller cars.
我用福斯的底盘做出大部分的小车
I shortened the coupe chassis and then l lengthened the ones for the sedan.
我缩短双门小车的底盘做小车,加长就是做轿车
Like Harrison Ford’s sedan, and the police sedan
譬如哈里逊福特的车子跟警车
those were all made on VW chassis which I lengthened 12 inches.
它们都用福斯底盘做成,我加长了 30 公分
One of the spinners was a complete mockup of which we put on a table.
有辆未来车是模型,我们把它放在桌子上
Some of the dialogue was filmed in this unit
一些对白戏在这个单元里拍摄
and this unit had all kinds of things working, you know
这个单元什么都有
the doors came up and all kinds of things moved and whatnot.
门一打开,东西到处飞
And then it had all the complete interior.
它有完整的内装
All the gadgets and, you know, the monitors and all that stuff.
所有的配备跟银幕
Everything was working in that unit.
那个单位功能齐全
And that was, like I say, on a rolling table.
那就是我的意思,车子放在会滚动的桌上
And the actors would get in and sit there
演员会上车坐好
and they’d film different sides
他们会从不同角度拍摄
and do the dialogue and everything on that unit.
表演对白戏全都在那个单元里
And then the one spinner that they lifted to fly
然后一辆未来车,他们把它提高到天上飞行
that we didn’t have an engine in that but it had everything working, all full hydraulics, you know.
我们并没有装上引擎,但它的功能齐全,有完整的液压功能
I went through and then designed some vehicles from one of Ridley’s wonderful contour-line drawings.
看过雷德利非常棒的线条画之后,我设计了一些车辆
史帝芬·戴恩,助理美术指导
And presented it to him.
我拿给他看
And this was a huge toxic mobile waste dump that was big like a fortress.
这是非常大的有毒汽车废城场,那像个大堡垒
Stephen Dane would kluge pieces and bits and parts that he found
史帝芬会四处找可用的东西
from Arizona to New Mexico and brought all these aircraft parts and pieces here.
他从亚利桑纳州找到新墨西哥州,将飞机零件带回来
And had his own group out at the Burbank hangar manufacturing that.
他在柏班克机棚有自己的班底♥制♥造那个玩意
As a matter of fact, Ridley liked Stephen so much
事实上雷德利很喜欢史帝芬
that he wanted him at his side all the time with a sketch book
他老是将他拉到旁边,要他拿着素描簿
and Stephen could knock stuff out like crazy.
史帝芬会疯狂作画
He was the assistant art director but he was sort of like Ridley’s pet guy.
他虽是助理美术指导,但他像是雷德利的宠儿
Many of the things in that movie, the umbrellas
片中很多道具,譬如说雨伞
all that were all built at little tiny garage shops.
都是在窄小的车♥库♥工作室做成的
Dream Quest, that did the readouts for the spinner dashboard
追梦小组负责未来车仪表板指数
they were in a garage too or someone’s house, you know?
他们也是在车♥库♥或某人家里工作
Everybody in the Art Department was tickled to work on Ridley Scott’s film following Alien.
美术部门的人都很高兴能参与雷德利·斯科特在 异形 后的作品
Alien is a gorgeous film, the best piece of art direction I think I’ve ever seen in my life.
异形 是部好片,是我看过的艺术指导的最佳典范
And we all thought, “Okay, we’re doing this picture
我们都想:“我们要拍这部
about Replicants and the future and a flying car”
跟复♥制♥人、未来、飞天车有关的电影”
and I’d say, “Whoa, we’re doing Alien II. We get to walk down that same road.”
我会说:“我们是在拍 异形 续集,我们得用相同的办法”
Everybody got turned around at a certain point and said: “No, wait, we’re not doing Alien II.
到了一个地步,大家会说:“不,等一下,我们不是在拍 异形 续集
We’re doing something completely different.
我们在做完全不同的事
And it is the future but it’s not that far in the future.”
它是未来,但它是不远的未来”
The caveat, when I was gonna do the show was it was not gonna be a big movie.
问题是我答应加入时,它不是一部大♥片♥
American lnternational Pictures was making this movie.
美国国际电影公♥司♥制♥作♥这部电影
They wanted us to eventually go to Mexico and make the movie.
他们要我们到墨西哥拍戏
And I was told that the only set that I would be designing
他们告诉我我要设计的场景只有一场
because the rest would be all location would be the street.
因为其他的戏都是外景,都会在街头拍摄
Everything else was gonna be done live location.
其他的戏都是外景
And, you know, given what is going on in the film business and so forth and so on, you say, “Yes.”
考虑到业界的情况及种种原因,你会说:“好”
By the time I got on the film
我加入的时候
there was a location manager on the film already that the production manager hired
已经有了外景经理,美术设计雇用了他
and there were two locations that Ridley liked in L.A.
在洛杉矶有两个外景地点雷德利很喜欢
One was the Bradbury Building
一个是布莱德柏利大楼
and the other was Union Station.
另一个是联合车站
The Bradbury Building turned out to be the hotel
布莱德柏利大楼成了饭店
where one of our key characters lived
一位主角住在那里
and Union Station turned out to be the police station.
联合车站是警局
Where we built the set in the corner of the station, and the set is still there in Union Station.
我们在角落盖了场景,它还保存到现在,就在联合车站里面
It’s part of the offices now.
现在它是办公室的一部分
And we made a deal with them to cut back on the location fee
我们跟他们谈条件,希望他们降低场地租金
if they would you know, take the set, which they did.
之后把场景送给他们 他们答应了
I think, funny enough, it took somebody not to come from L.A to actually do it in L.A.
我想那很有趣,要一个不是来自洛杉矶的人在洛杉矶那么做
because I’m new, I haven’t seen this before and I’m going, “Wow, that’s good and that’s good.” Yeah?
因为我是新手,我没看过这个,我说:“那不错”对吧?
And the Bradbury’s great and we put a little cheap canopy on.
布莱德柏利大楼非常棒,我们搭了便宜的天篷
I even brought the columns from the studio because they’re only Styrofoam.
我还从摄影棚搬来柱子,它们是舒泰龙泡沫塑料做的
So I had a style of crunchy kind of comic-strip architecture.
所以变成有点漫画风的建筑
Which is nearly real.
它非常真实
Is real, you’ve gotta make it real.
你得把它做得很真实
The Bradbury Building, everyone in the TV series uses that and I had said:
布莱德柏利大楼,大家都在那里拍影集,我说
“Back off. I’m gonna use it. I’ll shoot it in a way you haven’t seen it before.”
“让开,我要用它,我要用你没看过的方式拍它”
Being an architectural student I said:
身为建筑系学生的我说
“You know, it doesn’t make any sense to me that you’re walking along the corridor of the Bradbury Building
“我觉得这样没有道理,在布莱德柏利大楼的走廊上走着
and all of a sudden you walk in and there’s these plaster walls.”
突然间你走进去看到这些石膏墙”
And I said, “lt doesn’t make any sense to me.” I mean, that was exactly the point.
我说:“那没有道理”这就是重点
Why does it have to make sense
为什么它得有意义?
and isn’t it so much more interesting that the architecture is different?
建筑物不一样不是更有趣吗?
And I think what he said to me was, “Don’t rationalize with me.”
他好像是跟我说:“别跟我找借口”
Michael Deeley said, “Okay, it’s 3:00, Ridley’s gonna come
迈克尔·迪利说:“好吧,三点了,雷德利要过来
I want the drawings on the wall. He’s gonna look at the drawings.”
我要在墙上挂画,他会看那些画”
So in those days, you had to go to the blueprint shop and make copies
那时你得到蓝图店制♥作♥副本
which was, like, interminable in time.
当时那么做非常累人
And everything smelled of ammonia because they just came out of the machine.
所有的东西闻起来都有氨水味,因为它们刚刚做好
So the whole room stank of ammonia with these drawings that had just been put up.
画一挂好,房♥间里弥漫浓浓的氨水味
Michael Deeley and Ridley were walking around
迈克尔·迪利和雷德利走来走去
and I was standing with Larry Paull like this, you know terrified
我像这样害怕地跟赖瑞·波尔站在一起
and walking around looking at the drawings and as if we had left the room
他走来走去看画,就我们好像根本不在那里一样
he looked at Michael and he said, “Well, you know it’s never really all what you want, is it?”
他看着迈克尔说:“你知道的,人无法事事如愿 ,对吧?”
He said, “You never get what you want.”
他说:“你永远无法得到你想要的”
Because there was so much to do and I think at the peak
因为要做的事太多,我想最忙的时候
we had 400 plus-minus carpenters, painters, plasterers
我们有大约四百位木匠、画家跟泥水匠师♥傅♥
I mean, there were so many people working on the show that it was just a job managing all that
很多人为这部电影工作,管理就是一门大学问
which was under the jurisdiction of the Construction Department
他们由建造部门管理
but someone needed to be the liaison between what was being built and what was being designed.
有人得联♥系♥建造部门跟设计部门
So my job got really busy
我的工作真的很忙
because as Larry was concentrating on the design
因为赖瑞专心做设计
and I was gonna sort of manage that for him.
我得帮他做管理
I’ve never seen anything like it.
我没看过那种事
I quite honestly never had seen a set built like that.
我真的没看过像那样的场景建造
巴德·约金,投资人
It was just an amazing amazing amount of construction that had to be done.
那真的很不可思议,非常多的工程必须完成
Jerry Perenchio and Bud Yorkin came to the Burbank hangar.
杰里·佩伦乔跟巴德·约金来柏班克机棚
We were manufacturing the cars and the furniture.
我们在做车子跟家具
And they walked in and saw this entire hangar filled with people
他们走进来看到机棚里面全都是人
and I’m telling you, I could see the blood drain out of Bud Yorkin’s face.
我得说,我看到巴德约金的脸变得毫无血色
He had no idea what was going on.
他完全不知道发生了什么事
He couldn’t believe it.
他不敢相信
“You’re making chairs, you’re making– What are you making?
“你在做椅子跟……你在做什么?
Go buy a chair, buy a table. What are you making?”
去买♥♥桌椅吧,做什么做”
But it was all beautifully designed museum pieces that you can’t buy.
但那是设计得很漂亮,是那种买♥♥不到的博物馆级家具
I’d always known what the idea of the street was gonna be.
我一直都知道街头看起来如何
That everything was gonna be claustrophobic that
一切看起来都很封闭
the columns of the buildings were gonna be out to the edge of the sidewalks.
建筑物的柱子撑到了人行道边上
And it was gonna be very heavy and very heavy-handed looking.
看起来非常沉重
But what– But to see Syd’s illustrations when he came back was like, “Oh, my God.”
但他看完席德的插画回来时说:“天啊”
The street set which has the oblong, sort of hot-dog-shaped lights around the corner of the building
街道场景里有,建筑物角落的椭圆形的、像是热狗形状的灯光
that was right from the painting.
那是来自图画的
Right exactly from the painting.
跟图画一模一样
So all these things went together based on sketches from Ridley
这些都是根据雷德利的素描
directioned from him through Lawrence Paull to myself
由他透过劳伦斯·波尔告诉我
accompanying Lawrence Paull to the Warner Bros. backlot.
我陪劳伦斯·波尔到华纳兄弟的露天片场
Some of those streets had been used in Westerns, I mean, for decades.
有些街道几十年来都被拿来拍西部片
They were very, very, visually familiar.
它们看起来非常眼熟
I walked on that backlot, it’s what it looks like now.
我走到露天片场,它看起来就跟现在一样
When you walk on there, that’s what it looked like.
走到那里去,它就是那样
And it’s got– As all backlots it can only be limited.
它跟所有露天片场一样,你只能区隔它的空间
So it’s limited to, I think, two, maybe three stories.
我想它只能被隔成两三层楼
Mostly two. So it’s not tall enough.
主要是两层,所以不够高
So in those days because I haven’t got digital CGI or anything like that
我以前因为没有数字计算机绘图系统那样的东西
the decision to do it at night makes a lot of sense.
所以我们决定在晚上动工
Because I was a designer, I’m up there often and all over Larry, God bless him.
因为我是设计师,我常到那里去,跟赖瑞一起去,愿上帝祝福他
A very good way of telling you how Ridley was in control of the Art Department is that
要够告诉你雷德利如何将美术部门管理得很好
when the first walk-through which we did of the finished set when it happened
就是我们第一次在完成的场景做彩排时
Ridley we’re trying to look at everything else, said:
雷德利……我们想看看所有的东西,他就说

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!