嘿,丹叔叔 – 嘿,艾琳,你好吗?
Hi, Uncle Dan. – Hey, Eileen, how are you?
路上没堵吧? – 嗯,没有…呃,还好了
Did you hit traffic? – Yeah, it wasn’t… eh, not too bad.
嘿,妹妹,很高兴见到你 – 我也很高兴
Hi, sis. Good to see you. – Glad you’re here.
他们是谁?我从来 没有见过这些家伙
Who are they? I’ve never seen these guys in my life.
嘿,丹叔叔 – 说点什么
Hi, Uncle Dan. – Say something.
“什么” – 是吧,我就知道会这样子,干得好!
Something. – It happened. I knew it. Way to go.
不错 – 帮你叔叔搬行李,好吗?
Sounds good. – Help your uncle with his bags, OK?
宝贝,你要委屈一下了
Honey, you’re down here.
你弟弟,米彻 会有一位朋友来做客,所以…
Your brother, Mitch, has a friend coming to visit, so…
我要睡临时铺的床 – 嗯
I’m in the special room. – Yeah.
不好意思,兄弟 – 没关系
Sorry, bro. – That’s OK.
睡个好觉 – 你也是
You sleep tight. – You too.
累了吗? – 放我下去,放我下去!
You tired? – Get down, get down!
早 – 早
Morning. – Good morning.
睡的还好吗? – 嗯
Sleep OK? – Yeah.
要下去! – 要点什么?
Get down! – Can I get you guys something?
要自己的生活
Get a life.
她只是需要点空间 – 她不需要
She just needs some space. – That’s not what she needs.
不,她需要的
Yeah. She does.
听起来 你们都需要空间
From the sound of things, you all do.
你为什么不出去走走 买♥♥点报纸?
Yeah, why don’t you go get the papers?
噢,妈 – 去吧
Oh, Mom. – Yeah, go on.
对你有帮助的 出去散散心
It would do you good. Get lost for a little while.
也许我该呆在这里 – 不,出去走走,丹尼
Maybe I should stick around. – No. Get lost, Danny.
不是请求
It’s not a request.
早 – 早
Good morning. – Good morning.
早 – 我一会就好
Good morning. – I’ll be with you in a minute.

Oh.
然后他去了市区
Well, then he went downtown.
喝咖啡,对
Yeah. For coffee. Right.
周末和他聊天
Talks to him on weekends.
嘿,打扰一下,能帮帮我吗?
Hi. Excuse me. Could you help?
呃…好的
Um… Yes.
我想找本书 你也能看出来的
I’m looking for a book, obviously.
有什么要求呢? – 能帮我
Anything in particular? – Yeah, something that can help me
处理些,呃…
deal with, um…
可能会很尴尬的情况的
…what might be an awkward situation.
哦,好的,呃,什么… 什么情形…
Oh. OK. Um, what… what’s kind of, um…
要一些有趣的书
Well, something funny might be nice.
但不用那种让人 “捧腹”的有趣
But not necessarily big, “ha ha ha,” laugh-out-loud funny,
也一定不要那种靠取笑 别人来搞笑的有趣
you know, and certainly not make-fun-of-other-people funny,
最好是一些善意的有趣
but rather something, uh, human funny.
好的
OK.
另外,如果可以的话
And, uh, if it could, um,
能不经意的 让你大吃一惊
sneak up on you, surprise you,
并同时让你去思考
and at the same time make you think that what you thought
有些对的事情 换个方式思考就不一定正确了
was not only right in a wrong kind of way,
但在你认为是错的 但在你的错误中
but when you’re wrong, there’s a certain rightness
可能又有几分是正确的 – 呃…
to your wrongness. – Um…
也许我的意思是,呃
Well, maybe what I mean is, um,
更重要的是,我希望进入状态
more importantly, I’m looking to be swept up.
同时又没有
And at the same time, not.
我想能感觉到,呃
Meaning I wanna feel, uh,
与某些东西,存在很深的联♥系♥
a deep connection to, uh, something.
可能我也不知道 我要什么书
Or maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for.
凭我的经验 你很难在一本书里找到所有这些
Well, in my experience, you rarely find it all in just one book.
噢 – 所以有这么多书
Oh. – Maybe that’s why there’re so many.
嗯 – 呃…
Hmm. – Um…
那都拿了些什么书? – 我们有一些
So, what do we have? – We have a smattering, a sort of
杂七杂八备选的 – 杂七杂八?
potpourri of possibilities. – Potpourri?
对,呃,你看 有,呃,诗集
Yeah. Um, here we go. We have, uh, poetry.
狄更生的,你知道,基础读物 (美国19世纪女诗人)
Dickinson, you know, basic stuff.
聂鲁达的书也不错(智利诗人) – 我也这样认为
Little Neruda is always good. – I agree.
哦,这的确是本 让你停不下来的好书
Oh, now, this is actually a real page-turner.
甘地的一生? 我…不,但他…
The Life of Gandhi? I… No, but he…
没有人能像他 一样深邃
Nobody has ever been quite so cool as him.
呃,灯塔般的书,《好人难寻》 (美国女作家弗兰纳里·奥康纳著)
Um, lighthouses. A Good Man Is Hard to Find.
呃,光看书名就知道了 – 《安娜·卡列尼娜》,我不知道…
Uh, the title alone. – Anna Karenina. I don’t…
哦,很有趣
Oh, now, that’s funny.
不,事实上 有趣的书在这里
No, actually, no, funny is here.
也许没那么有趣了
Maybe it’s not that funny.
不,很有趣 很有趣,真的
No, actually that’s funny. Very funny, and true.
好的,很好,呃…
Good. OK, good. Um…
但,如果你 要挑一本的话
But, uh, if you could pick only one.
那我建议
Ah. Well, I would say
没有什么能比得上
that nothing rivals
钓鱼崖罗曼史
the romance of Fishcliff.
老实说,我只是走了一圈 随便拿了几本
I’m being honest. I just walked around and I just grabbed stuff.
我只是拿了 我能拿到的
I just grabbed whatever I could grab.
您需要什么书? – 搞定了
You were lookin’ for? – Sold.
什么? – 我全要了
I’m sorry? – I want them all.
这些只是 建议,我…
These were just suggestions, I…
一定要给他 这些书的回扣哦
Make sure he gets the commission for this.
他不在这里工作 – 应该请他的
He doesn’t work here. – Well, he should.
你口才很棒
You are smooth.
呃,事实上 不,我口才不好
Uh, actually, no, I’m not smooth.
我是,呃,丹,不好意思
I’m, uh, Dan. Sorry.
玛丽
Marie.
嘿,嗨
Hey. Hi.
呃,那么,玛丽 能让我稍微的“补偿”一下你吗?
Um, so, Marie, can I make it up to you?
这是你的茶,很烫
OK. Here is your tea. Hot.
小心点 这是我的橙汁
Watch it. And there is my orange juice.
我还买♥♥了个松饼,但是
And I bought a muffin, but I think
我觉得他们给我的是个小星球
they gave me a small planet.
我应该放在桌上
I should put that down.
谢谢 – 我还有纸巾和餐具
Thank you. – I have napkins and utensils.
我用叉子用习惯了
I’m a big believer in forks.
你不是的 很明显
And you are not, apparently.
丹… – 什么
So, Dan… – Yes.
你天生的? – 我和其他人一样出生
You were born? – I was born.
和其他人一样长大,满意吗?
Like everybody else. And I grew up, like everybody else. Good?
嗯,嗯哼
Mmm. Mm-hmm.
嗯,好的,还有什么?
Um, OK. What else?
我去学校 我有个幸运午餐桶
I went to school, and I had a Bonanza lunch pail.
还有60年代的电视节目
This show, ’60s, a TV show.
我十岁的时候 我想做魔术师
When I was ten, I wanted to be a magician.
我常常给街区所有的孩子 表演魔术
So I used to hold these magic shows for all the kids in the neighborhood.
我试图让一个女孩 漂在空中
I tried to make a neighborhood girl levitate.
不过没能成功,倒是用上了 躯体石膏,一些缝线…
And she didn’t. And it involved a body cast, and several stitches…
最后的…
…the end of my…
我告诉你,我从来没有…
Let me tell you something, something I’ve never…
你会笑话我的 这些我从来没有告诉过任何人
You’re gonna laugh. Something I’ve never told anybody…
从来没有
…in my life.
这个实在是很难说出口
Um, and this is really hard for me to say.
之后她,呃,生病了
And then she got, uh, sick.
再后来,呃,她去世了
And, um, then she was gone.
之后,呃…
And, uh…
花了一段时间
It’s taken a while.
我们该聊点 其它事情
We should probably talk about something else.
你是说你现在一个人 带着三个女儿…
So you’re telling me that you’re one of those widowers with three daughters
然后在书店对毫无防范的女性 大献殷勤
who preys on unsuspecting women in bookstores?
听上去好像是我 – 确实是你
It seems that would be me. – Been there.
是吗?
Really?
不是,那段时间…
No, it seems that it’s been…
真的很艰难 – 不过,呃…
…seriously hard. – No. Um…
不过我们现在很好了 我们真的过的不错
No, we’re OK now. We’re really OK.
你不用强颜欢笑
You don’t have to smile.
比不笑要好吧
Better than the alternative.

Ah.
能帮我拿一会吗? – 嗯
Can you hold? – Mm-hmm.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!