很遗憾 如果总让他们在海滩上疯跑
Unfortunately, if we let them run wild on the beach,
就会是这样的结果
We have to expect the consequences,
对吧 达尔文夫人
do we not, mrs Darwin?
甘汞增加到一天两次
So, increase the calomel to twice…
我不想再给她吃这个了
I will not give her any more of it.
-为什么不 -她已经吃了好几周了
– Why not? – She’s been taking it for weeks.
你没看到她没有… 这是氯化汞
Can you not see she’s not… It is chloride of mercury.
我经常开给儿童服用
I’ve prescribed it often in babies.
别给我的孩子开
Not to any of mine.
如果她能乖乖放血的话…
If she would submit to being bled…
求你了 别这样
Please, no.
我会再给加里医生写封信
I will write to Dr Gully again.
那个水疗专家
The hydrotherapist?
我发现他的治疗非常有效
I have found his treatments very effective.
不管他们是否忽视逻辑
No matter that they defy logic?
逻辑不是一切
Logic isn’t everything.
显然不是
Clearly not.
-请留步 日安 夫人 -日安
– I’ll see myself out. Good day, madam. – Good day.
我应该带她去马尔文接受同样的治疗
I should take her to Malvern to be treated as I was.
她在这更好
It is better she’s here.
她需要和家人在一起 需要关爱和休息
She needs her family. She needs love and rest.
她会好起来的
She’ll get well.
最多一星期
One more week.
我们最多再观察她一个星期 好吗
We’ll watch her for one more week. Alright?
谢谢
Thank you.
爸爸
Papa!
你的信 先生
Post for you, sir.
从香料岛寄来的
This one’s from the spice islands.
查尔斯
Charles.
查尔斯 我的老朋友 你在这
Charles, my old friend, there you are.
我可以坐下吗
May I join you?
好的 当然
Yes. Yes, of course.
达尔文夫人和我谈了你写的那本书
Mrs Darwin has told me about the book you are writing.
谢天谢地 别再多说了
Oh, no, no, not any more. Thank goodness.
你是说你写完了
You mean you finished it?
实际上对我来说已经写完了
It’s been finished for me, actually.
一位名叫阿尔弗莱德·拉塞尔·华♥莱♥士♥的先生
A Mr Alfred Russel Wallace has arrived independently
和我有同样的见解
At exactly the same opinion.
写在一份…
Expressed in a…
一份20几页的书稿上
In a mere 20 pages.
对你来说够简练
Now, there’s brevity for you.
我已经写了250页 快结尾了
I had covered 250 so far and come to a dead end,
虽然我在这个课题上
So whilst having wasted 20
浪费了20年 但至少我摆脱它了
years on the project, I am at least rid of it.
没错
Well.
那么…
Well…
主选择了难解的方式
…the lord moves in mysterious ways.
是啊 可不就是吗
Hmm, yes, he does, doesn’t he?
你知道 前几天我就在阐述
You know, I was remarking only the other day
他如何用神圣的仁爱之心赋予我们
how he has endowed us in all of his blessed generosity
900种肠道寄生菌
With not one but 900 species of intestinal worm,
他们用自己独特的方式渗透粘膜
Each with its own unique method of infiltrating the mucosa
进入到血液中去
And burrowing through to the bloodstream.
他的爱也送给了蝴蝶
And on the love that he shows for butterflies
为它们创造了可以寄生幼卵的
by inventing a wasp that lays
黄蜂幼虫
its eggs inside the living flesh of caterpillars.
我讲过很多次
I have said on many occasions,
我们无法揣测主的圣意
it is not for us to speculate at his reason.
不 我们可以把这个难题留给华♥莱♥士♥先生
No, we can leave that to Mr Wallace.
我应该建议他留在国外 你觉得呢
Shall I advise him to stay abroad, do you think?
以他的观点 如果他在这露面
With his opinions, if he shows his face around here,
他也许必须跪在岩盐上
He may be required to kneel on rock salt.
我一直很珍惜我们的友谊
I always valued our friendship.
直到现在 我都把你当做极少数
Until now, I regarded you as one of those rare mortals
和我意见不同
With whom one could disagree
但我却不会心生憎恨的人
and yet feel no shade of animosity.
可悲的是这种感觉不会再有回应了
Sadly, that feeling is… no longer reciprocated.
什么
What?
华♥莱♥士♥先发制人了
I’m forestalled by Wallace.
我做了什么 什么
What have I done? What?
有什么可能的…
What possible… what
可能的原因惹你生气了
possible reason could you have to be angry at me?
安妮
Annie.
安妮 过来 回来
Annie! Annie! Come here! Come back!
快回来
Come back here now!
我是你♥爸♥爸 你快回来 什么
I am your father! You… you come back here! What?
我做什么了 我对你做什么了 什么
What did I do? What did I do to you? What?
安妮 过来 回来
Annie! C-come here! Come back!
我对你做什么了 拜托 安妮 求你了
What did I do to you? Please! Annie, please!
回来 安妮 回来
Come here! Annie! Annie! Come here!
把这些扔掉
Get rid of them.
快扔掉
Get rid of all of them.
快 出去
Come on. Get out!
出去
Get out!
走 快点
Go! Come on!
出去 快点
Get out! Go!

Go!
达尔文先生 达尔文先生
Mr Darwin. Mr… mr darwin.
达尔文先生 先生
Mr darwin, sir!
达尔文先生
Mr darwin?
先生 我会让路易斯来拆的
I’ll have Lewis dismantle it, sir.
达尔文先生 我去请荷兰德医生
Now, Mr Darwin, I’ll send for Dr Holland.
上帝啊 不
God, no.
该死的
God damn it.
都见鬼去吧
Damn it all to hell.
达尔文先生
Mr Darwin?
快来人啊 快来人啊
Help me here! Help me here!
甘汞增加到一天两次
So, increase the calomel to twice a day.
-好的 -注意保暖 好好休息…
– Yes, of course. – Keep him warm, plenty of rest…
我想爸爸也要死了
I think papa’s going to die, too.
你好 胡克
Oh. Hello, Hooker. Hello.
你还能说话
Still talking.
太好了 伦敦有消息说
That’s good. Word had reached
你中风了
London you’d suffered an apoplectic stroke.
你的敌人正在雅典神庙里庆祝呢
Your enemies are celebrating at the Athenaeum.
我没有敌人
I have no enemies.
-这是华♥莱♥士♥的信 -是的
– This is the Wallace letter? – Yes.
他写了20页
Well, he has 20 pages.
你写了一本书 起码也有半本
You have a whole book, or at least half of one.
我打算把另一部分摘抄下来
I intend to extract the other
即使它会让我们俩送命
Even if it kills us both.
你还和赫胥黎谈过吗
Have you been talking to Huxley again?
没有 如果谈了
No. Had I been, he’d be here
他就会亲自带一条九尾鞭来 快起来
himself with a cat-o’-nine-tails. Up you come.
我起不来 我不知道得了什么病
No, I cannot. I know not what ails me,
我快受不了了
but it’s more than I can endure.
胡说 我认识你的时候
Bosh! You have had this illness
你就有这种病
As long as I have known you.
过度工作让病情加剧了
It’s worse in times of overwork,
虽然你的灵魂寄居在你的身体里
But it has nothing to do with your soul,
这也和它毫无关系
wherever that resides now.
-治好你自己的病 -我不行
– Go and get yourself treated. – I cannot.
相信我 你有敌人
Believe me, you do have enemies.
我打赌如果他们知道你在写什么
I’ll bet half the nation would see you burnt at the stake
全国有一半的人想看你受火刑
If they knew what you were writing,
但是你也有朋友
but you have friends, too,
我们所有人都在战斗
And all of us are fighting the same battle.
用我们毕生精力来赢得胜利
And we can win this in our lifetimes.
我们必须要赢
We have to win this.
我求你了 去马尔文吧
I implore you, go to Malvern,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!