至爱的艾玛
Dearest Emma,
昨晚你说我在与上帝斗争
Last night you said I was at war with God,
但实在没什么
But truly it is
如同战争一般激动人心
Nothing so dramatic as a war,
只是我自己
Just a silent struggle with
多于千个下午的自我挣扎
Myself extended over a thousand afternoons.
宗教信仰的失去是
The loss of religious faith is
一个缓慢且脆弱的过程
A slow and fragile process,
如同大♥陆♥的升起
Like the raising of continents.
除了对你说 这过程似乎已完成了
What can I say to you except
我还能说什么呢
That the process now seems complete?
-我们在看什么 -看见那只兔子了吗
– What are we looking at? – See the rabbit?
别动
Stay very still.
让它停下
Make it stop.
快点 爸爸 让它停下
Quickly, daddy, make it stop.
-快点 -埃蒂 埃蒂 亲爱的
– Quickly! – Etty. Etty, darling.
-爸爸 让它停下 -别出声 亲爱的
– Daddy, make it stop. – Ssh. Darling girl.
亲爱的孩子
Dear girl.
-亲爱的孩子 -那不公平
– Dear sweet girl. – It’s not fair!
-那不公平 -我很抱歉
– It’s not fair! – I’m sorry.
-不公平 -不公平
– Not fair. – It’s not fair.
埃蒂 必须得这样
Etty, it has to be that way.
狐狸必须要吃掉兔子
The fox has to eat the rabbit,
要不狐狸宝宝会死掉
Otherwise the fox’s babies will die.
这是万物平衡
It’s the balance of things.
快 小鸭子 笑一个
Come on, little duck. Give us a smile.
亲爱的胡克 我最终决定
Dear Hooker, I am finally decided.
我认为一切归功于我的孩子们
I think I owe it to my children
至少他们让我对自己确信的一切有勇气
to at least have the courage of my own convictions.
题目是《物种起源》
My title will be “On the origin of species”,
我会努力不提到上帝
And I shall endeavour to keep God out of it,
尽管毫无疑问他会认为这是人身攻击
Although no doubt he will see it as a personal attack.
没有什么比承认普遍的生存竞争
Nothing is easier than to admit the truth
这个事实更加容易
Of the universal struggle for life,
也没有什么比持续
Or more difficult than
将此埋藏在心更加困难
To constantly bear this in mind.
我的第一章
I shall devote my first
将献给家养状态下的变异
chapter to variations under domestication,
在其中我们会看到
Wherein we will see
人类在积聚微小变种的
How great is the power of man
能力上是多么伟大
In accumulating slight variations.
我之后会讨论
I will then pass on to see
自然选择如何导致
How natural selection causes much extinction…
进化较慢物种的灭绝
…of the less-improved forms of life.
-查尔斯 -怎么
– Charles? – Yes?
路易斯在做什么
What is Lewis making?
他在建一个和马尔文那样的水塔
He’s making a water tower like the one they have at Malvern.
我写的没什么进展
The writing’s not been going well,
我在想也许我该试试水疗
so I thought I might try my own water cure.
你还在生我的气
You’re still angry with me.
我能从琴声里听出来
I can always tell by your playing.
不是生气 是悲伤
Not angry. Sad.
拉
Pull.
自然界的表面好比一张柔软的曲面
The face of nature may be compared to a yielding surface
上面布满了数以万计的尖锐的楔子
With 10,000 sharp wedges packed close together
它们不断地受到击打 向内驱动
And then driven inwards by incessant blows.
有时候一个楔子会被强大的外力击倒
Sometimes one wedge being
接着又是另外一个
struck and then another with great force.
这种说法也许无法完全阐明
The mind cannot possibly grasp the full meaning of the term
数百万年进化的意义
A hundred million years.
物种世代微小变异的全部效果
It cannot add up and perceive
是无法积累和感知的
the full effects of many slight variations.
我们忘记了有多少歌♥唱的鸟
We forget how largely these
或是它们的蛋 它们的幼鸟
songsters or their eggs or their nestlings
是被食肉鸟和食肉兽所毁灭
Are destroyed by birds and beasts of prey.
因此 数万代过去后
Thus, over tens of thousands of generations,
这些微小的变异逐渐积累
Tiny variations accumulate.
器官改变了它们的功能
Organs change their very function.
雌性生殖器官变成了粘腺
The female sexual organ becomes a cement gland.
肢体变成触须或完全退化
Limbs become blind feelers or fall away entirely.
一旦自♥由♥游泳的生物
What was once a free-swimming creature
发现它的头部被岩石粘住
Finds itself glued by its head to a rock,
为了食物盲目的拍打
blindly flailing for food.
爸爸
Papa!
为什么你觉得出汗是件好事
Why is sweating supposed to be good for you?
因为它能带走你血液中的毒素
Because it gets rid of the poisons in your blood.
-我以为你不相信罪过 -我是不相信
– I thought you didn’t believe in sin. – I don’t.
但也不是英尼斯神父理解的那样
Not in the way reverend Innes understands it, anyway.
那你为什么害怕下地狱
Then why are you afraid of going to hell?
-我没有 -你有
– I’m not. – Yes, you are.
-你觉得这是你罪有应得 -我没有
– You think you deserve it. – No, I don’t.
我当然没有 你怎么会这么想
Of course I don’t. What could possibly make you think that?
因为你觉得你最好没生过我
Because you think you should never have had me.
天呐 小姑娘
Oh, for god’s sake, girl.
我可不想听这些胡话
Oh, I don’t have to listen to this nonsense.
你真残忍♥ 你变得好残忍♥
You’re cruel. You’re just being cruel.
这个女孩疯了
The girl’s gone mad.
所以你再也不和妈妈说话了
That’s why you won’t talk to mama any more.
够了 我有和她说话
Enough of this. I talk to her.
我当然会和她说话
Of course I talk to her.
说的都是无关紧要的事
Not about the important things.
不是关于我的
Not about me!
为什么所有的事都要与你有关
Why must everything be about you?
因为那是你不想说的事
That’s what you won’t talk about.
-不想说什么 -你是如何觉得自己该负责
– What? – How you think you’re responsible.
出去
Get out of here.
你快出去 出去
You get out of here. Get out of here.
你说过诚实是世上最重要的事
You said honesty was the most important thing in the world.
如果你不诚实 我就再不来了
If you won’t be honest, I won’t come again.
你活该受罪
It’ll serve you right!
出去 求你了 出去
Get out! Please, get out! Get out!
最近几个月你都不太好
You have not been well for months now.
我会没事的 我很好
I’ll be fine. I’m fine.
-你能和约翰·英尼斯谈谈吗 -谈什么
– Will you talk to John Innes? – What about?
折磨你的那些东西
Whatever it is that ails you.
他现在干什么 有什么本事
What is he now, exactly? What is he?
他是内科医生吗 他是吗
He’s a physician, is he?
没错 最起码是灵魂的医生
Yes. A physician of souls, anyway.
就像朋友那样谈谈 你们曾经是好朋友
Talk to him as a friend. You used to be such friends.
我想他能帮你
I think he can help you.
达尔文先生 不好意思
Mr Darwin? Excuse me.
借过 达尔文先生
Little ‘un coming through. Ah, mr darwin.
我正在给古德门先生解释
I was just explaining to
你有趣的饲养方法
Mr Goodman about your interest in breeding.
太棒了
Oh, good. Excellent.
古德门先生是我们南英格兰
Mr Goodman is our foremost
最有名的鸽子专家
pigeon fancier in all of southern england.
我发誓 他能在四代之内
I swear, he can give you
给你培育出各种喙和翅膀
any beak or plumage within four generations.
-你有什么秘诀 -我让它们杂交
– What’s your secret? – I interbreed them.
兄妹之间 表亲之间
Brother and sister, cousin with cousin.
这是改变血缘最快的方法
It’s the fastest way to alter the strain.
但也存在削弱它们能力的危险
There’s a danger that you’ll weaken it,
不过像您这样的绅士
but a gentleman like yourself,
肯定能承受损失几只小鸟吧
I’m sure you can afford to lose a few chicks, eh?
现在好好休息 女士
Now, plenty of rest, young lady.
别起来
Down you go.
盖暖一点
Keep her warm.
-谢谢你 医生 -再见 安妮
– Thank you, doctor. – Goodbye, Annie.
再见
Goodbye.