-他知道了 -他躲起来了
– He already knows. – He’s hiding.
请进
Do come in, please.
我们来玩”轻骑队冲锋”吧
Can we play charge of the light brigade?
你一定精疲力尽了 喝茶吗
You must be exhausted. Will you take tea?
胡克 老伙计 赫胥黎也来了 快进来
Hooker! My dear fellow! And Huxley. Do come in. Come in.
冲啊 孩子们 我们进去
Lead the charge, boys. And away we go.
我们正在重组林奈学会
We’re re-forming the Linnean society.
委员会包括我
The committee will comprise of myself,
莱尔 胡克 如果你愿意的话 加上你
Lyell, Hooker, yourself, of course, if you’re game for it.
现在胡克和我终于有了点影响力
Now that Hooker and I finally have a bit of clout,
我们可以从重申科学是一种职业开始
We can start to reclaim science as a profession.
和乡村牧师甲虫收藏家区分开
Wrest it away from the country parsons and beetle collectors.
他们中有些是我的朋友
Some of whom are friends of mine.
你的书将会成为我们的着力点
Your book will be our rallying point.
不会 没有书
No, it won’t. There is no book.
都是断简残篇
There are fragments,
不适合出版
and they’re not in any fit state to publish.
废话 我看过你的摘要
Nonsense I’ve read your detail abstract
论据十分有力
and the argument is hugely powerful.
清楚地证实了几百万年来
Clear evidence of transformation over millions of years
一只自♥由♥游泳的虾到卡在岩石里的贝类的演化
From a free-swimming prawn to a shellfish stuck on a rock.
正是我要说的 我不能肯定
That’s my point. You can’t be sure of that,
我需要更多时间
and that’s why I need more time.
-达尔文先生 -什么
– Mr Darwin, sir? – Yes?
你要么是虚伪
Either you are being disingenuous
要么就没有完全明白你自己的理论
or you do not fully understand your own theory.
很明显 对藤壶适用的
Evidently, what is true of the
对所有生物都适用 包括人
barnacle is true of all creatures, even humans.
上帝再也不能宣称他在
The Almighty can no longer claim
一周内创造了所有生物
to have authored every species in under a week.
你抹杀了上帝 先生
You’ve killed god, sir.
你抹杀了上帝
You have killed god.
或者换种说法
Or to put it another way…
终于摆脱了那些爱报复的老基佬
And I say good riddance to the vindictive old bugger!
-查尔斯 -没事 我没事
– Charles? Charles? – Oh, no, I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine.
-托马斯 别这样 -我很明白
– Thomas, please. – Yes, I quite understand.
该是你写书的时候了
It is time to write your book.
给他们迅速而有力的最后一击
Strike hard and fast with a blow that is utterly conclusive.
这个 先生 你
Really, sir, you…
你讲的好像我们在打仗一样
You talk as if we’re at war.
对 科学正和宗教作战 等我们赢了
Yes. Science is at war with religion, and when we win,
就可以摆脱那些该死的大主教了
We’ll finally be rid of those damned archbishops
和他们所谓永恒惩罚的威胁
And their threats of eternal punishment.
不 赫胥黎 我们
No, Mr Huxley, we…
我们生活在社会中
We live in a society and
社会通过教堂紧密地联♥系♥在一起
it is a society bound together by the church.
虽是一叶轻舟
An improbable sort of barque,
但我告诉你 它至少还浮在水面上
I grant you, but at least it floats.
它没有沉 而你呢
It floats. And you would what?
你想让我们重新造船 一点一点的
You would have us all rebuild, plank by plank,
拆掉我们正在航行的船重新造
The very vessel in which we sail?
别这样 查尔斯
Oh, come, come, Charles! Did…
上帝的规则让你的火地岛人改变了吗
Did god’s laws change your fuegians?
猩猩珍妮的行为不像人类吗
Was Jenny the ape any less personable for not being a person?
我们的行为 就像我们的身体一样
Our behaviour, like our physical forms,
根据需求进化
Evolves according to our needs.
你自己说的 先生
Your very own words, sir!
因此 有一天
And thus, in time, we
我们不需要的部分就会退化
lose those parts that are no longer required.
就像阑尾 男性乳♥头♥ 最后 感谢基♥督♥
Like the appendix, the male nipple, and finally, thank Christ
还包括对上帝的无谓信仰
Our belief in an utterly redundant almighty!
胡克先生
Mr Hooker?
我求求你 别逼他了
I… implore you, please do not push him.
没人可以逼查尔斯 你知道他有多坚定
No one can push Charles. You know how fixed he is.
-他自己也像只藤壶 -对
– Bit of a barnacle himself, really. – yes.
如果你把他从岩石上撬下来 他会死的
And if you prise him from his rock, he will die.
快点 胡克 天快黑了
Come on, Hooker. It’ll be dark soon.
她对你说什么了
So, what did she say to you?
她说这简直要了他的命
She said it was killing him.
对啊 他花在这上面的时间太久了
Yes. Mighty slow death considering
自然会引起慢性死亡
the length of time he’s sat on this stuff.
如果他再久一点
We shall all be dead and
我们都会自掘坟墓
buried ourselves if he takes much longer.
对 自从他女儿死了之后
Yes, since his girl died,
不得不承认 他像变了一个人
One has to admit… he’s not the man he was.
你什么时候才能不弄这些发臭的藤壶了呢
When are you going to be done with those stinky old barnacles?
我正在追踪三千万年来
Well, I’ve been chasing this little crustacean
这种甲壳纲动物的全部进化过程
in all of its evolutionary forms over 30 million years.
8年的时间
Now, eight years doesn’t
也不够做这些的 是吧
seem a very long time to achieve that, does it?
“推迟”是什么意思
What does “Procrastinating” Mean?
安妮 我想你非常清楚
Oh, I think you know very well what it means, Annie.
意思是延后 为什么问这个
It means putting things off. Why?
这是胡克先生认为你在做的
That’s what Mr Hooker thinks you’re doing.
真的吗
Does he indeed?
是因为妈妈还是那个盒子里的东西
Is it because of mama or what’s in that box?
都是
Both.
我应该把这些都烧了
I should probably just burn the lot.
不行 我在里面
You can’t. I’m in it.
别搞笑了 你当然不在里面
Don’t be absurd! Of course you’re not in it.
你什么意思
What do you mean?
我还是婴儿的时候 你说的
When I was a baby, you said.
-哦 对 -婴儿的自然史
– Oh, that. – The natural history of babies.
对 对
Yes, that’s right.
看我的手指
Look at my finger.
你太健康了 太健康了
Oh, you’re so strong! You’re so strong!
这里 安妮
Here. Annie.
我认为这对她睡眠没有用处
I think that will not help her sleep.
我想你是对的
I’m sure you’re probably right.
那是谁
Who’s that?
那是谁 是你吗
Who is that? Is that you?
宝贝 我错了
Oh, sweetheart. Oh, I’m so sorry.
你老爸太坏了
Oh, what a mean old papa you have.
宝贝
Oh, sweetheart!
你老爸太坏了
Oh, what a mean old papa you have!
你老爸太坏了
What a mean old…
你老爸太坏了
What a mean old man you have!
我错了 我错了
Oh, I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry.
第六周开始咯咯笑
“Six weeks: gurgles.”
试着吮吸 能紧抓我的手指
“Tries to suck. Holds tight to my finger.”
离乳♥房♥♥三到四英寸时能感觉到
“Perceives bosom when three or four inches from it.”
我应该加上她有音乐细胞
I should add that she’s musical.
我希望你别把我们
I hope you do not plan to treat
所有的孩子当成你实验中的
all our children as specimens of the ape genus
猿属标本
To be included in your experiments.
所有的孩子 意思是你还想要更多
All of our children? You mean you want more?
抱歉 假设罢了
Oh, sorry. I assumed.
如果你不想的话
No, if the idea doesn’t appeal,
我们就不会有了
then we won’t have any more children.
亲爱的 我想要一个军队的孩子
Darling, I have plans to breed an entire army of them.
看看 这叫华尔兹
Look at that. That’s called the waltz.
小心 别跑太远
Careful, now! Not too far ahead.
-有用点吧 胡克 -别踩到水了
– Make yourself useful, Hooker. – Stay away from that water!
好的 布罗蒂 我得看着他们 孩子们
Fear not, Brodie, I have them in my sights. Children!
现在你们中哪个
Now, which of the four of you
想第一个学会挂饵
Would be the first who would like to learn how to hook a worm?
我 我
Me! Me!
领头的高地人向前踏了一步 在风中
“A little further on, the leading highlander snuffed the wind
像一只凶悍的猎犬一样抽动着鼻子
Like a setting spaniel,
然后发出信♥号♥♥叫他的同伴休息
And then made a signal to his party again to halt.”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!