Are you sure? I think I can see my name.
你确定吗 我看到自己的名字了
No. Shoo. Go on, off with you.
别动 坐好了
Persephone Burls?
泊瑟芬·玻尔斯?
Fuzzy, for you, I think.
法茜 我想是给你的
Can’t make head nor tail of the stamps. They’re Egyptian.
邮票贴得莫名其妙 他们是埃及人
Fiamma Coronna.
菲奥玛·康罗拉
You see? You haven’t been forgotten.
看到了吧 你没被遗忘
That’s all, I’m afraid, girls.
恐怕就这些了 姑娘们
But I’m sure Fiamma won’t mind sharing her treasures.
不过我想菲奥玛不会介意跟大家分享一下
“Dear Persephone, hope you’re well and studying hard.
亲爱的泊瑟芬 愿你一切都好 努力读书
“Daddy’s taking up his post
爸爸已经到罗德西亚工作
in Rhodesia a week earlier than expected…”
比预想的早了一周…
Aren’t you going to open it, then?
你不准备打开吗
Here? Come on, show us. Let’s see.
在这里吗 让我们看看嘛
Look at this!
看这个
Go on.
继续
This is Heaven.
好吃极了
Fiamma, tell me the story again.
菲奥玛 再讲一遍那个故事
I told you last night. I like it. Please.
昨晚不是讲过了吗 求你了
Please.
讲吧
There once was a king and his beloved daughter.
从前有个国王和他心爱的女儿
Together they explored distant lands.
他们一起去远方探险
One day, they encountered a Sultan
有一天 他们遇到一个苏丹人
who offered the king an extraordinary gift
他送给国王一件特别的礼物
in return for his daughter’s hand.
以此换取他女儿的手
A magical blue diamond.
一颗魔法蓝钻石
But the king was greedy
但国王很贪婪
and took both,
不想失去任何一个
the diamond and the Princess back to his mighty castillllo.
便将钻石和公主都带回到他的大城♥堡♥里
But the Sultan came looking for the Princess
但是苏丹人来找公主
and begged her to fly away with him
求她同他一起
on a magical tapestry of silk.
乘坐丝织的魔毯远走高飞
And the Princess was so intoxicated
公主太兴奋了
that she flew away with him
便跟他一起飞走了
never to be seen again.
从此再也没人见过她
Can’t sleep, Di?
睡不着吗 戴
I was thinking of home.
我想家了
Would be a shame to waste such a beautiful night.
白白浪费这么美丽的一晚太可惜了
Come on. We’re going swimming. Wake the others.
来吧 我们去游泳 叫醒其他人
Lily.
莉莉
Laurel, wake up. Wake up. We’re going swimming.
萝瑞尔 醒醒 醒醒 我们要去游泳了
Don’t be ridiculous. It’s the middle of the night.
别发疯了 这可是大半夜
It’s a compulsory lesson. You can’t bunk. Get up!
这是必修课 你不能逃课 快起床
What lesson? What are you talking about?
什么课 你在说什么
What are you waiting for? Kingdom come?
你们还在等什么 下辈子吗
Lily!
莉莉
I’ll splash you.
我要泼你
Got to swim faster than that. You’re mother!
得再游快点 你是鱼妈妈
How do I play? Chase the mother fish. Chase Di.
怎么玩 去追鱼妈妈 追上戴
You’re mother.
你就是鱼妈妈
Who’s mother now? You’re mother.
现在谁是鱼妈妈 你是鱼妈妈
Miss G learnt this game in India. You know?
G小姐在印度学来的这个游戏 你知道吗
Really? I love India. When were you there?
真的吗 我喜欢印度 你什么时候去的
A few years ago.
几年前
Miss G, tell Fiamma about
G小姐 告诉菲奥玛
how you rode on elephants with rajas!
你是怎么和印度的王侯们骑大象的
Oh, Di, we’ve all heard that story before.
戴 大家都听过那个故事了
I’d rather hear about Fiamma’s adventures.
我更想听听菲奥玛的冒险历程
I haven’t had adventures. I just travelled with my father.
我没有什么冒险 只是在跟我父亲旅行
Miss G travelled alone.
G小姐是独自旅行
Really?
真的吗
I was a bit of a scandal in my day.
我当年也算得上是臭名昭著了
I remember one captain who was quite loath
我记得当时有个船长很不愿意
to having an unaccompanied woman on board.
有女人独自乘船
It caused such a stir,
这惹来了大♥麻♥烦
I was forced to disembark at the next port.
我迫不得已只好在下个港口下了船
Where else have you been, Fiamma?
你还去过哪儿 菲奥玛
Abyssinia, Somaliland, the Dodecanese.
阿比西尼亚 索马里兰 卡尼斯群岛
And Paris.
还有巴黎
Paris is filthy.
巴黎很脏
Do you care for Paris?
你喜欢巴黎吗
I love to travel.
我喜欢旅行
One day I shall have to resume my exploration of the world.
总有一天我要重新踏上旅行之路 周游全世界
It’s in our blood, isn’t it?
这是我们与生俱来的 不是吗
You’re not like the other girls.
你跟其他姑娘不一样
They’re still waiting for their lives to begin.
她们还在等待自己的人生开始
But not you.
但你不同
But you can go whenever you choose.
但你想走时随时可以走
Why do you stay?
为什么你留了下来
I stay for my girls, of course.
当然是为了我的姑娘们
When they leave, so shall I.
等她们离开 我也就离开了
This is out of bounds, Miss Gribben.
这里禁止入内 格里本小姐
I had no idea. Nothing is locked.
我不知道 东西都没锁
It is an honour system. We respect confidentiality here.
这是尊重制度 我们都尊重他人的隐私
And I thought you would have known that.
我以为你很清楚
Quite a scandal though, wasn’t it?
真是个大丑闻 不是吗
A countess stealing away with a peasant.
伯爵夫人和一个农夫私奔了
And a Marxist, to boot!
还是个马♥克♥思♥主义分子
Imagine the daring, the courage.
想像一下这胆量和勇气
That is neither here nor there.
这并不重要
We have had to protect many girls
我们多年来都在保护许多女孩们
from themselves over the years.
别被自己的过去所影响
I just felt if I knew a little of her history,
我只是觉得了解一些她的过去
I could be of more help.
更能帮上忙
All our girls are to be treated equally,
我们平等对待这里所有的女孩们
regardless of their past.
不论她们过去如何
As you well know, Miss Gribben.
你很清楚这些 格里本小姐
You have been with us a long time.
你在这里可待了很多年了
I’m sorry, Miss Nieven.
我很抱歉 尼文小姐
It was an error of judgement. It won’t happen again.
我考虑欠周 不会再发生这样的事了
See that it doesn’t.
看起来是不会了
The world is a perilous place.
这是个艰险的世界
It would be a shame for you to have to find that out firsthand.
你可不要首当其冲了
So have you decided?
你决定好了吗
Is it a centre-piece for a dinner party?
这是晚宴中餐桌中♥央♥的装饰花束?
Or a christening?
还是洗礼仪式?
Or a simple ‘get well’ arrangement for an ailing relative.
或者是探病时的祝福花束
Or have you any ideas of your own? You can be creative.
你就没有些自己的想法吗 你可以自己创造
The world falls at her feet because she’s an aristocrat.
因为她是个贵族 全世界就得围着她转
It’s so unjust. So unearned.
这太不公平了 真是不劳而获
Fuzzy Burls, what have you done?
法茜·玻尔斯 你干了什么
Fuzzy never gets any help.
从来就没人帮助过法茜
Did you hear? Your father called for you on the telephone.
你听说了吗 你♥爸♥爸打电♥话♥找过你
My father? The prince himself.
我的父亲? 亲王殿下本人打的
Why wasn’t I told?
为什么没人告诉过我
God knows where you were. We looked everywhere for you.
谁知道你在哪儿 我们到处找你
In the end he had to speak to Lily.
最后他只好和莉莉说话了
What did he say?
他说什么了
Well…I think he took quite a shine to Lily.
我觉得他对莉莉一见钟情了
He’s arranged to see her next week.
他准备下周和她见面
He’s sending a carriage and champagne for her.
他要派来一辆马车带着香槟酒接她
Your father’s a randy bugger, Fiamma.
你的爸爸是个粗俗的老混♥蛋♥ 菲奥玛
He’s going to deflower our precious Lily.
他要夺走我们宝贝莉莉的贞操了
You shouldn’t be cruel.
你不该这么恶毒
Excuse me, Miss Cairns.
打扰一下 凯恩斯小姐
I was wondering if I might take advantage of the glorious sunshine
我能否趁着阳光这么灿烂
and steal the girls away for a dive.
带着姑娘们去游泳呢
By all means.
当然可以
Fiamma, dear?
菲奥玛 亲爱的
If you don’t mind, Miss Cairns, I wish to stay.
如果您不介意的话 凯恩斯小姐 我想留下