Come on, up.
我做母亲不称职 就跟我妈一样
I’m unfit. Just like my mother.
闭嘴行不行 别说胡话了
Will you knock it Off? That is not true.
但是我告诉你
But I’ll tell you what.
如果你再翘课 你会挂科的
If you keep missing classes, you will fail.
我已经挂了 我失去了我的孩子们
I’ve already failed. I lost my boys.
贝蒂 你没有失去他们
Betty, you didn’t lose them.
我没有陪着他们
I wasn’t there for them. I wasn’t.
也帮不了肯尼
I can’t help Kenny.
被法学院开除之后就更没戏了
Especially if you get kicked out of law School.
这是你的内衣 这是牛仔裤
There’s your underwear, there’s your jeans,
这个是干净的 快点 穿衣服
that’s clean. Come on, get dressed.
我做不到 做不到
I can’t. I can’t.
去上学吧 从那里起步
Just come to school today. Start there.
希尔顿的生活太棒了 东西真♥他♥妈♥好吃
Life’s swell here at the Hilton, food’s fucking fantastic,
就像妈妈以前做的一样
just like Ma used to make.
能不能再给我寄点白袜子
Can you send me more white socks?
爱你 想你
I love you and I miss you very much.
我 肯尼·沃特斯 心智健全
I, Kenneth Waters, being of sound mind,
把我在这个世上的所有财产
leave all my worldly possessions
都留给我妹妹 贝蒂·安·沃特斯
to my sister, Betty Anne Waters.
还有最重要的一点
Also, most important,
将我女儿曼迪·玛什的完全监护权交给她
I’m giving her full authority on any decisions
以保我儿幸福安康
concerning my daughter Mandy Marsh’s well-being.
我们其中两人将扮演辩护律师
So, two of us will be defense attorneys,
两个扮演公诉人
two will be the prosecutors.
欢迎加入 沃特斯
Thanks for dropping by, Waters.
衣服熨的不错啊
Nice ironing job.
还需要一个被告人和一个律师的助手
And then we need a defendant, and a paralegal.
我建议贝蒂·安扮演被告
I nominate Betty Anne to be the defendant.
我的嫌疑罪名是什么
What’s my alleged crime?
强♥奸♥
Uh… Rape.
老天 谢谢啊 他们分配给我们什么案件
Oh. Gee, thanks. What case did they assign us?
如果你去上课了你自然会知道
You’d know that if you actually came to class.
闭嘴
Shut the fuck up.
苏尔诉州政♥府♥案 1992年
Sewell V. State, 1992.
苏尔因强♥奸♥罪已服刑十年
Sewell had already served 10 years in prison for rape,
然后他向政♥府♥提出进行
and then he sued the state
对强♥奸♥证物进行DNA检测的请求
for the right to DNA test rape kit.
DNA检测?
DNA test?
强♥奸♥证物上的精♥液♥与他的DNA不匹配
Yeah, the semen in the rape kit wasn’t his. The DNA didn’t match.
他打赢了官司吗
And he won?
是的
Yes.
这写着呢
Yeah, look. “Advances in
技术上的进步将为无罪辩护
technology may yield protection for exculpation
提供前所未有的支撑
where none previously existed.”
好的 谁想当律师助手
All right, so who wants to be the paralegal?
DNA分♥析♥
DNA技术为错判案件平♥反♥
阿布拉
Abra.
血液 这是关键
It’s the blood. This is the key.
-什么 -那里有足够的血液
– What? – There was so much blood.
我能帮肯尼脱罪
Look, I’m gonna get Kenny out.
那时还没有DNA检测
There were no DNA tests then.
他们只知道杀人犯和肯尼都是O型血
They only knew that the murderer was type O and so is Kenny.
但如果我们对杀人犯和肯尼
But now, if we can DNA test
进行DNA检测就能证明肯尼的清白
the murderers blood and Kenny’s, it’ll prove Kenny’s innocent,
就像那个强♥奸♥案一样
just like in the rape case.
贝蒂
Betty.
抱歉 唐
I’m sorry, Don.
之前就有四十九个类似的案件
There are 49 other cases like this.
等等 你怎么知道血液证据还在呢
Wait. How do you know the blood evidence still exists?
因为我们会找到的
‘Cause we’re gonna find it.
巴里·谢克会帮我们的
And Barry Scheck is gonna help.
看这
Here, look.
看到了 巴里·谢克
Oh, I see. Barry Scheck.
看 他就是干这个的
This is what he does. Look,
他在纽约进行”昭雪计划”
he has this Innocence Project in New York.
你只要打个电♥话♥ 然后他就会帮你吗
And you’re just gonna call him up and he’s gonna take your case?
没错
Yes!
我们是不是都得跟他上♥床♥ 还是只有你?
Are we both gonna sleep with him or just you?
去你的
Abra.
亲爱的谢克先生 您和您的”昭雪计划”
Dear Mr. Scheck, I would greatly appreciate any assistance
若能对我被判无期徒刑无假释的哥哥肯尼
you and the Innocence Project can provide
提供任何形式的帮助
in helping me free my brother, Kenny,
我们都将感激不尽
from a life-without-parole sentence.
1983年 肯尼在麻省被控
In 1983, Kenny was convicted
进行恶性持械抢劫
in Massachusetts of first-degree murder
而被判一级谋杀
with extreme atrocity and armed robbery.
在过去十六年里我尽我所能
I have done everything in my power for the last 16 years
提高自己 以期还我哥哥清白
to prepare myself to prove my brother’s innocence.
你还好吗
You good?
我找不到身份证了
I can’t find it. I can’t find my ID.
-你仔细找了吗 -都找两遍了
– You checked your whole wallet? – Twice!
没有身份证就不能参加律师考试
You can’t take the Bar Exam without ID.
阿布拉·赖斯
Abra Rice.
赖斯
Rice.
-谢谢 -下一个
– Thank you. Thanks. – Next.
对不起 我找不到身份证了 稍等下
I’m sorry, I can’t find my ID. Just one second.
看这个身份证
Look what I found in my…
-是你的啊 -贱♥人♥
– There. – You bitch.
-逗你的 -一点都不好玩
– It’s funny. – I can’t believe you did that.
-沃特斯 -你都吓死我了
– Waters. You almost gave me a heart attack.
她岁数大了 脑子有点不好使
She’s very old and she can’t remember a single thing.
谢克先生
Mr. Scheck,
自从我哥哥被不公地判罪那天起
the day that my brother was unjustly convicted of this crime,
改变的不仅是他的生活 还有我的
changed not only his life, but mine.
亲爱的沃特斯女士
Dear Ms. Waters, I’ve
我已经给你哥哥肯尼寄出申请表
enclosed an application for your brother Kenny
他填完后会发回我办公室
to complete and return to our office.
我必须强调我们只接受
I must stress that we only accept cases
DNA证据能够证明无罪的案件
where DNA evidence can exonerate the accused.
是否有这样的证据存在
It will be vital for us to
对我们很重要
determine if any such evidence still exists.
如果没有DNA证据 我们也无能为力
Without DNA evidence, it will be impossible for us to proceed.
“昭雪计划”还积压了成百上千的案件
The Innocence Project has a backlog of several hundred cases,
所以必须提醒你至少需要十八个月
so I must caution that it will be at least 18 months
我们才能开始调查你哥哥的案件
before we can begin to evaluate your brother’s case.
但如果你能够通过律师考试
If however, you pass the
并成为你哥哥的律师
Bar Exam and become your brother’s attorney,
你便可以立刻开始搜集DNA证据
you yourself can begin looking for the DNA evidence immediately.
如果你找到了证据
If you manage to find it,
谢克先生或许会同意作为顾问律师
Mr. Scheck may agree to act as consulting attorney,
这样我们就可以协作
in which case we can work together
帮你哥哥脱罪了
towards exonerating your brother.
妈妈
Mom?
我在厨房♥
I’m in the kitchen.
这玩意儿冻得真死
Damn thing’s still frozen.
薄信就代表好消息 对不对
Thin’s good, right? Didn’t you say that?
-打开 -你确定吗
– Open it. – Are you sure?
你别看 拿着它让我看
Don’t look at it. Just hold it up for me to read.
别看
Don’t look!
我没看
I’m not.
感谢上帝
Thank you, God.
你听到我说什么了吗
Did you hear what I said?
肯尼
Kenny?
太好了 我们做到了 做到了
Yeah! We did it! We did it!
我的宝贝妹妹
My baby sister!
哥们儿 你能不能坐下
Buddy, would you please sit down?
我的宝贝妹妹通过了律师考试
My baby sister did it! My baby sister just passed the Bar.
我明白 但你必须坐下
Yeah, yeah. I understand, but you have to sit down.
沃特斯 坐下