在我看来 一旦太认真也就该结束了
In my opinion, when it gets too serious, it’s over.
怎么了
What?
我认识一些你这样的
I just know… your kind.
不明白你的意思
I don’t know if I like that.
我很清楚像你这样的人
I know you so well.
那么 你女朋友在哪里呢
So… your girlfriend, where is she?
不 她没来 她周六晚上要工作
No, she’s not here. She works on Saturday nights.
她是个职业舞者
She’s a professional dancer.
不是那种 不是的
Not that kind. No.
她在百老汇演出
She’s in a Broadway show.
她身材一定很美
Must have a lovely figure.
是的 的确
Oh, she does. She does.
是很美 不过她太在意身材了
Very lovely. She works for it though.
在意身材有什么问题吗
Is there something wrong with working for it?
有时我倒希望我不了解
Well, sometimes I wish I weren’t so acquainted with
莎拉如何保养她的身材
the care and maintenance of Sarah’s figure.
应该去做一些浪漫的事情
Takes some of the romance out of things.
好吧 我得告诉你
Right. You know what? I’ll tell you something.
每个女人都很在意身材
Every woman has to work for it.
那些声称自然瘦
The ones that claim to be “naturally thin”
就是那些声称想吃什么就吃什么的人
the ones that claim that they can eat everything they want to
最在意她们的身材
they are the ones working hardest of all.
看起来毫不费劲 其实花了大功夫
The illusion of effortlessness requires a great effort indeed.
-萨拉 -是的 是她的名字
-Sarah. -Yeah, that’s her name.
对 你刚才说来了 很美的名字
Yeah, I know, you said. Pretty name.
就像由两个音节拼出的诗句 莎拉
Almost like a poem in two syllables. Sarah.
跳舞的莎拉
Sarah the dancer.
我能想象得出
I can almost picture her.
你的心脏病医生呢 他叫什么
Did your cardiologist have a name?
杰弗瑞 杰夫
Jeffrey. Jeff.
告诉我 那个跳舞的莎拉多大了
Tell me. How old is, uhm, Sarah the dancer?
她是个大学毕业生
Oh, she’s a… she’s a college graduate.
年龄
Her age?
她最近刚毕业
she’s a recent college graduate.
21岁
Yeah, like 21?
22岁
22.
不过到8月12号♥就23了
But She’s 23 on August 12th.
8月12号♥23岁
23 on August 12th.
很美好的年龄
Well, That’s a very beautiful age.
-干吗问这个 -你知道的
-Why did you wanna know? -You know I wanted to know.
或许
Maybe…
因为我想知道
I wanted to know because…
所以我想知道
…I wanted to know. I wanted…
我想知道你是不是在我和调情
…to know if you were flirting with me.
这和莎拉的年龄有什么关系
What does Sarah’s age have to do with that?
我想我们俩年龄差不多
I am the same age as you. I think.
一个和我同龄并喜欢8月12号♥就23岁女人的男人
And… well, a man my age who prefers 23 on August 12th
应该不会和一个
might not flirt with someone who is…
比8月12号♥就23岁的老15岁的女人调情
…well, let’s just say 15 years past 23 on August 12th.
这说法很有趣
That’s an interesting theory.
是的
Yeah.
那个心脏病医生杰夫看到你抽烟会怎么想
What would Jeffrey the cardiologist think?
他讨厌
Well, he hates it…
没错 他讨厌 但是
…of course, he hates it, but hey, you know what?
他现在在伦敦 而我喜欢抽烟
He is in London and I love cigarettes.
不能被”老爸”发现
Don’t let daddy find out.
你怎么就觉得杰夫比我老呢
Who makes you think that Jeffrey is older?
不是吗
Is he?
老一点 他45了
a little bit, I mean, he’s 45.
做医生的妻子感觉怎么样
How might be being a doctor’s wife?
比做律师妻子强一点
A bit better than being a lawyer’s wife.
我的第一任丈夫是个律师
My first husband was a lawyer, you see…
所以两种生活我都有经历
…so I have experienced both
有什么不同呢
And what’s the difference?
律师要穿体面的西装
The lawyer wore nicer suits.
你知道吗我以前就记得你
you know, I do remember you from before.
-真的 -是的
-Really? -Yes.
我甚至记得第一次看到你的时候
I even remember the first time I saw you.
我那时19岁
I was 19.
你也是
You were the same.
是在科德角的一次烧烤
It was a barbecue in Cape Cod.
其它的人都在排长队等自助餐
And everyone else was in this long line for the buffet
你躺在一颗树下
and you were lying under a tree
正在读书
reading a book.
是什么书
What was the book?
应该是
It was something… do you know what it was?
是简·奥斯汀的书
It was something by Jane Austen.
-是《劝导》 -你在胡编乱造
-It was “Persuasion.” -You’re making it up.
-不 我没有 -你在瞎说
-No, I’m not. -Yes, you are.
我从你的语气就能听出来
I can tell by the tone of your voice.
凭什么这么说
Why would you say that?
人们总是这样
People do it all the time, you know.
编造一些细节
Make up little details.
把真实的事和半真半假的事情掺合在一起
connect truths with half truths.
就成了故事了
It’s story telling
不是的 这是记忆
No, it is memory.
你当时穿着
You were wearing…
穿着一件紧身上衣
I’ll tell you, you were wearing one of those tube top thingies.
当然 其它人穿着会不好看
No, true. It wouldn’t be advisable on someone…
但穿在你身上
…but on you…
真是很迷人
…let’s just say that the effect was charming.
那件小上衣我记得很清楚
You know what? I certainly remember that top…
根本就不迷人
…and so it was not charming.
我觉得迷人
-I thought it was. -So, you remember…
就是说你能记得那件上衣
…you remember the top…
却不记得那本书
…but you don’t remember the book.
我对我喜欢的东西
Well, I have an excellent memory
都能记得非常清楚
for things what I want to remember.
真的吗
Really?
人们这么说 以前我一般会同意
People say that, and I used to agree.
不过 年龄越大
But, God, the older I get
我越觉得人的思想的反常
the more I’m aware of the of the perversity of the human mind.
我是说 我忘记了那些该记得的事情
I mean I forget what I want to remember
却记得一些毫无意义的事情
…and then… I just remember what’s utterly useless.
我走近你
I walked up to you and,
你肯定会因被打搅而生气
of coure you were incredibly annoyed with being interrupted.
不管那是什么书
Whatever the book was
你完全被那本书吸引住了
you were totally absorbed in it.
我对你说 不知你是否知道
And I said: “I don’t know if you know,
自助餐的已经准备好了
…but the food is ready.”
你瞥了我一眼
And You looked up at the line passingly
并回答我
and you answered me
你说
You said:
让它等着吧
“The food will wait.”
我从未这么说
I never said that.
你的确说了 你说 让它等着吧
Yes, you did. You said: “The food will wait.”
然后挥挥左手把我打发走
And then you waved me away with your left hand
就像打发你的仆人
like I was your servant.
不 不能
Not it won’t.
我怎么没听说这件事
How come I never heard this history before?
因为我从未告诉过你
Because I never told it before.
你编造的 不是吗
It’s fiction, isn’t it?
我保证这是基于事实
it’s based in truth, I assure you.
很有趣
Well that’s interesting, but
但没有说服力
it doesn’t help your argument
因为所有的小说都是基于事实
because most fiction it is based in truth.
聪明
clever.
我是很聪明
Yeah, I am clever.
太好了
Ah, good.
我想我找到你们这最后两个人了
I knew I’d find you. You’re the last two people.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!