a former astronaut…
前太空宇航员罗素…
considered to be the leading American candidate for the Machine seat…
被视为最有资格获选的美国人…
has unexpectedly dropped out of the running.
却突然宣布退出
Russell met with reporters this afternoon at his Houston home.
罗素今天在他休斯顿的家里接受记者访问
I told my dad that I didn’t want him to go.
我对爸爸说我不想他去
Daddy, don’t go.
爸爸 不要去
Nothing would give me more pride than to…
没什么比代表祖国能令我…
represent my country.
感到骄傲
But what can I say to this?
但我怎对孩子说?
Consortium officials had no comment, but sources within the delegation…
官方没有评论 但内♥幕♥消息…
have disclosed that Dr. Arroway…
透露雅博士…
appears to now be the front-runner for the Machine seat.
现时成为奔向机器座位的第一人
“Meet me at noon. Must talk.”
“中午见我 要事商谈”
I didn’t expect to be getting a message like this from you.
没想到收到你的字条
Thanks for coming.
谢谢你到来
So is this kosher? Fraternizing with the enemy?
这是许可的吗? 和敌人友好?
Selectors and selectees mingling around?
挑选委员和挑选者在一起?
Can we talk about Einstein?
我们可谈爱因斯坦吗?
Yeah, sure. Okay.
可以
Special relativity. Yeah.
狭义相对论 好的
This machine…
这机器…
now, if it works, and you travel to Vega at even close to the speed of light…
若能成功 你以光速前往织女星…
When you come back… If you come back.
当你回来时… 如果你能回来
If you come back…
若你回来…
you’ll only be 4 years older, but over 50 years would have passed here on Earth.
你老了四年 但地球已超过五十年
Basically, yeah.
基本上对
And everybody that you care about…
你所关心的人…
will be gone, dead and buried.
均会死掉 被埋葬
If you came back, if you survived at all, which…
若你能回来 若你没死…
Look, Palmer, nobody’s saying this isn’t dangerous, all right?
瞧 朋马 没人说这任务没危险
The rest of the candidates and myself, we fully understand the risks we’re taking.
所有候选人均明白所冒危险
Why?
为什么?
Because it’s a historic opportunity. The world needs…
这是历史机遇 世界需要…
No, you, Ellie. You. You personally.
不 你 艾丽 是你 你自己要去
By doing this, you’re willing to give your life.
为此你愿意为此牺牲生命
You’re willing to die for it.
你愿意为此而死
Why?
为什么?
From as long as I can remember, I’ve been searching for…
从我能回忆起来那时 我就在一直寻找…
something…
一些人类存在的理由…
some reason why we’re here. What are we doing here? Who are we?
为什么我们在这里 我们在这里干什么? 我们是谁?
If this is a chance to find out even just a little part of that answer…
若这是寻找出那怕是部份答案的机会…
I don’t know, I think it’s won’th a human life.
我不知道 我认为是值得赔上一条人命的
Don’t you?
你这样想是吗?
You’re an incredibly brave woman, Ellie.
你是勇敢得不可思议 艾丽
Or incredibly nuts.
或是傻得不可思议
Palmer…
朋马…
I’m really confused.
我很混乱
So am I.
我也是
I think I speak for us all when I thank you for your patience.
我代表所有评委感谢你的耐心
Myself, I have one final question, Dr. Arroway.
我自己有最后一问题要问你 雅博士
If you should meet these Vegans…
若你遇见织女星人…
and were permitted only one question to ask of them…
你只准向他们问一个问题…
what would it be?
你会问些什么?
Well, I suppose it would be:
我猜我会问:
“How did you do it?
“你是怎么做到的?
How did you evolve? How did you survive this technological adolescence…
如何进化? 如何在技术发展的初期幸存下来…
without destroying yourself?”
而没有毁灭你们自己?”
That more than any other question is one I personally would like to have answered.
这是我最希望获得解答的问题
Not too bad, Mike.
还不错 麦克
I join Dr. Bergeron…
和培博士一样…
in expressing thanks for your patience, Dr. Arroway.
我感谢你的耐心 雅博士
We’ve all been most impressed with your candor…
我们对你的坦白和精力…
and your stamina.
表示折服
I believe we are ready to move on to your final statement.
我们准备听你最后的陈述
Madam Chairman, I have one more question.
主席女士 我还有一个问题
Yes, Mr. Joss.
问吧 曹先生
Dr. Arroway…
雅博士…
Would you consider yourself…
你是否认为你是一个…
a spiritual person?
神圣的人?
Uh…
呃…
I don’t really understand the point of the question.
我不明白问题的意思
I consider myself a moral person.
我认为我是个有道德的人
I’m sure we all agree that is the case…
我们相信是的…
but I think what Mr. Joss is in fact asking…
但我想曹先生想问是…
Do you believe in God…
你相信上帝吗…
Dr. Arroway?
雅博士?
As a scientist…
作为科学家…
I rely on empirical evidence, and in this matter…
我信赖实质的证据 在这方面…
I don’t believe that there is data either way.
神存在与否 两方面都有证据
So your answer would in fact be that you don’t believe in God.
那你的答案是你不信神了
I don’t understand the relevance of the question.
我不明白这个问题有什么关系
Dr. Arroway, 95 percent of the world’s population…
雅博士 全世界95%的人…
believes in a supreme being in one form or another.
相信存在某种形式的上帝存在
I believe that makes the question more than relevant.
我相信这令问题更有关系
Dr. Arroway?
雅博士?
I believe, um…
我相信…
I believe I’ve already answered that question.
我相信我已回答了这个问题
I’m proud of what we’ve achieved as a species…
我以我们成为人类及文明的使者…
and as a civilization.
而感骄傲
I would hate to see everything we stand for…
我不想看见我们信赖的…
all that we have fought for for a thousand generations…
以及我们世世代代所争取的…
all that God has blessed us with…
一切神所赐给我们的…
betrayed…
在最重要时刻…
in the final hour because we chose to send a representative who did not put our…
被背叛 因为我们的代表并没有…
most cherished beliefs first.
把我们的信仰放首位
Thank you.
谢谢
Why did you do it?
你为何这样做?
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody.
我们要选能代表所有人的人
I just couldn’t in good conscience vote for a person…
我不能昧着良心投票给一个…
who doesn’t believe in God.
不相信上帝的人
Someone who…
某个人…
honestly thinks the other 95 percent of us…
认为其余95%的人…
suffer from some form of mass delusion.
患有某种精神病
I told the truth up there.
我说的是实话
And Drumlin told you exactly what you wanted to hear.
杜木林说出你所想听的话
With full humility and utmost gratitude…
我谦恭及感激地…
I accept this great honor…
接受这一份荣誉…
and I promise I will do my best to represent my nation…
我承诺会尽力在这历史性旅程中…
my planet and my God on this historic journey.
代表我的国家 星球 及我的上帝
I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
我衷心感谢你们
There’s a carnival atmosphere at Cape Canaveral…
卡纳维拉尔角 充满狂欢气氛…
as the International Machine Consortium…
国际机器集团的…
hosts as much a media event as a systems test.
测试吸引各国的传媒到来
David Drumlin is supervising the on-site portion of the test.
大卫杜木林监督机器的测试
We spoke with him earlier today.
今早较早时 我们采访过他
We’ll be able to monjtor the stresses and effects…
我们可用名为艾马的…
using the robot passenger…
机械人乘客…
who we lovingly call Elmer.
监控压力及影响
Dr. Arroway, the press would like to ask you a few questions…
访问杜木林博士后…
as soon as they’re done with Dr. Drumlin.
传媒想问你几个问题
Now, at the moment where we release the pod…
当我们释出吊舱时…
there will be a substantial amount of energy generated at the core.
核心会产生大量的能量
We’ll be able to monitor the stresses and effects…
利用昵称为艾马的机械人乘客…
using our robot passenger, who we lovingly call Elmer.
我们可以监控张力和效应
Thank you. Welcome.
谢谢 别客气
The test area is clear and go.
测试场地已经准备就位
Sir, they’re ready for you out at the site.
他们准备好 要你到现场
Yeah, just a minute.
等一等
The test director has issued a go to enter the final countdown phase.
测试主管宣布最后的倒计时
Ellie.
艾丽

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!