Doctoral work, Cal Tech…
攻读博士课程…
where you did breakthrough work on the lanthanide-doped ruby maser…
研究加兰红宝石微波激射器…
dramatically increasing the sensitivity of radio telescopes.
大幅增加了射电望远镜敏感程度
Subsequently offered a teaching position at Harvard University…
最后获邀到哈佛大学任教…
which you turned down to pursue SETI work…
你推却了 继续在波多黎各…
at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico.
进行SETI天文观测工作
Changes in NSF policy gave rise to certain funding problems…
国家科学基金政策改变引致资金出现问题…
at which point you came to my attention.
此时你受到我注意
You compromised our security codes.
你危害我们的安全密♥码♥
Once upon a time…
从前…
I was a hell of an engineer.
我是出色的工程师
Please, sit, doctor.
请坐 博士
I have guests so rarely, it’s important to me that they feel welcome in my home.
我甚少有客人 令他们感到受欢迎是很重要的
You live here?
你住在这里?
I find it convenient to keep my interests…
我发觉若能来去自如…
mobile.
会方便一点
Anyway, I’ve had my fill of life on the ground.
反正我已在地面住厌了
Well, I… I guess I should…
我想我该…
Well, I guess I should thank you for having bailed me out all that time.
我想我该感谢你 你当时救了我
I know a good bet when I see one.
我没押错注的
Earl Grey. No sugar, no milk, I believe.
伯爵茶 不要糖和牛奶 我相信
What am I doing here?
我为何来这里?
The powers that be have been very busy lately…
掌权的人最近忙于…
falling over each other to position themselves for the game of the millennium.
进占有利位置 参加黄金时代的游戏
Maybe I can help deal you back in.
也许我可助你再占上风
I didn’t realize that I was out.
我不知道自己已出局
No, maybe not out…
不 也许不是出局…
but certainly being handed your hat.
但肯定给人忽视
I’ve had a long time to make enemies, doctor.
我一直以来树敌太多
And there are many governments, business interests…
有许多政♥府♥ 商业界…
even religious leaders that would like to see me depart this earth.
甚至宗教领袖想我死掉
And I’ll grant them their wish soon enough.
我很快会如他们所愿
But before I do, I wish to make a small contribution.
但我死前想再作出个小小贡献
A final gesture of goodwill to the people of this little planet that have given…
一个最后的善恣向这星球上的人表示友好…
From whom I have taken so much.
我从他们身上赚得太多
You found the primer.
你找到了基本原则?
Clever girl.
聪明姑娘
Lights.
关灯
Pages and pages of data.
许多页的资料
Over 63,000 in all.
超过六万三千页
And on the perimeter of each…
但每页的空白处有…
Alignment symbols, a registration mark, but they don’t line up.
对准符号♥ 定线标记 但他们没法对上
They do, if you think like a Vegan.
其实他们是可以对上的 只要像织女星人那样考虑问题
An alien intelligence has got be more advanced…
外星人智慧更为发达…
and that means efficiency functioning on multiple levels…
效率在多种层面发挥功能…
and in multiple dimensions.
以及在多种维度
Yes, of course!
当然了!
Where’s the primer?
基本原则呢?
You’ll see.
你会明白
Every three-dimensional page contains a piece of the primer.
每一三维页均包含有一条基本原语
There it was all the time, staring you in the face.
它一直在你面前
Buried within the message itself is the key to decoding it.
信息所隐藏的是 解码的关键
Within the layering of the matrix, we have these basic equations:
每一母式均有如下的基本程式:
So with this very elementary foundation, they have given us a kind of…
有了这基本原语做基础 他们给了我们某种…
general scientific vocabulary.
通用的科学术语
We now have the symbols for true and false…
现在我们表示真假的符号♥…
This was the key…
这是关键…
that allowed us to decipher their language…
让我们用他们的语言来解释…
for physics, geometry, chemistry. Next frame, Ellie.
物理 几何 化学语言 请放下一格 爱莉
Yes, and when we apply this to the rest of the message…
将这个用于其余的信息上…
we find this.
我们找到了这个
Those look like engineering schematics, almost like blueprints.
看来是工程图表 像是蓝图
Yeah.
是的
Yes.
是的
It is our belief that the message contains instructions…
我们相信信息包括了说明…
for building something, some kind of machine.
去建造某一些机器
A machine? That does what, doctor?
机器? 有什么用的?
We don’t know. It might be some type…
我们不知道 也许是某些…
of advanced communication device, or a teaching machine of some kind.
通讯设施 或是某种教学机器
Or it might turn out to be some kind of a transport.
或是某种运输工具
Transport? There’s no proof of that.
运输工具? 还没有证据
The fact is, you don’t know what it does. It could be anything.
事实上你不知它有什么用途 可能是任何用途的
Could be a Trojan horse. We build it and out pours the entire Vegan army.
一个木马 建成后涌出织女星军队
Why bother risking the personnel? It could be a weapon.
何必冒着生命危险? 它可能是武器
Right. Some kind of a doomsday machine.
对 是世界末日的机器
Exactly. Every time they detect a new civilization…
每次他们查探到新的文明 …
they fax these construction documents from space.
就由太空传真过来建造图
We poor saps build whatever this is and blow ourselves to kingdom come.
我们这些傻瓜建造这东西 自取灭亡
There’s no reason to believe that their intentions are hostile.
没有理由认为他们的意图是敌意的
Why is the default position of the egghead set that aliens would always be benign?
为什么知识份子总认为外星人是和善的?
Why is that, doctor? We pose no threat to them.
为什么 博士? 我们没威胁他们
It would be like us going out of our way to destroy microbes on an anthill in Africa
这好像我们想方设法毁灭蚁丘中的微生物
That’s an interesting analogy.
有趣的类比
And how guilty would we feel if we destroyed a few microbes on an anthill?
但当摧毁蚁丘微生物时 我们会有愧吗?
I hope you’re right, doctor. I really do.
希望你没错 我真希望
But right now my job is to protect American lives from any threat.
但我们的责任是保护美国人的生命不受任何威胁
In that regard, I am obligated to assume the worst.
所以我要作最坏的打算
Well, yes, and I am forced to agree with you.
是的 我被迫同意你的说法
My problem is this:
但问题是:
The content of that message is morally ambiguous at best.
信息的内容再怎么说 在道德上也是含糊的
Now, our internal numbers show support for this is incredibly soft.
内部调查显示支持并不强
If the president wishes to stay this course, I can garunteen…
若总统继续下去 我保证…
you’re gonna find his numbers going south like a duck.
他的民♥意♥支持率会下降
This is nuts. Excuse me…
荒谬 对不起…
miss.
小姐
We know nothing of these creatures’ values.
我们不知这些东西的价值
The fact is, we don’t even know whether they believe in God.
甚至不知它们是否信神
This doesn’t make any sense. If you… Excuse me, Dr. Arroway.
这不意味着任何东西 假如… 抱歉 雅博士
We won’t be suppressing any opinions here today.
我们今天不能压制不同意见
No, of course not. I understand.
当然不是 我明白
What I meant to say…
我想说…
is the message was written in the language of science.
信息是用科学语言写出
Now, if it had been religious in nature, it should have taken the form…
若是宗教性的 它便会以…
of a burning bush or a booming voice from the sky.
燃烧的树 或天上的声音的形式出现
But a voice from the sky…
但你收到的…
is exactly what you found, Doctor Arroway.
正是天上的声音 雅博士
I’m sorry I’m late, ma’am.
抱歉我迟到 女士
Now, I agree with Mr. Rank that there are unavoidable…
我同意需要考虑其中无可避免的…
religious implications at stake here.
宗教含意
But that doesn’t justify taking an alarmist position.
但也并没有证明应该害怕
My hope here is that we can find a common ground…
我希望能够找到共同的基础…
break through any obstacles that may have kept us apart.
能打破我们的分岐
Well, perhaps… Listen, I need to make one thing very clear.
嗯 也许… 我要弄清楚一事
Our organization will not be placated with flowery New Age rhetoric…
我们不受新纪♥元♥预言邪说所安慰…
Mr. President.
总统先生
The President met with his top advisors today…
总统和高级顾问会谈…
regarding the latest efforts to decode the message.
商讨信息解码的最新情况
While there has been some progress, the official line remains a cautious one.
虽有进展 但政♥府♥仍小心处理
If you’re asking when we’ll find out what the purpose of that machine is…
若问我们何时会知道那机器的目的…
maybe tomorrow, maybe next year, maybe never.
也许明天 明年 也许永远都不会知道
There he is. The man with his finger on the spiritual pulse of the nation.
他来了! 这个人的手按在国家的宗教脉上
It’s so good to see you, Ellie. You too.
很高兴看见你 艾丽 我也一样
Your discovery, all of this. It must be a real vindication.
你的发现定是真正的辩白
I’m really happy for you.
我很替你高兴
Are you? Mr. Joss, the president is waiting.
是吗? 曹先生 总统在等你
Okay. Yeah. The president is waiting.
好的 总统在等你
Ellie, see you at the reception tonight? Yeah, I wouldn’t miss it.
艾丽 今晚招待酒会上见 我一定去
All right, great.
好极了
Excuse me, Miss Constantine, may I speak to you?
打扰了 康斯坦丁小姐 我可跟你讲句话吗?
Certainly.
可以

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!