I’m also looking for this guy David Drumlin.
也在找一个叫 “大卫·杜木林” 的家伙
He’s the new head of the National Science Foundation. I’m trying to get an interview.
他是国家科学基金会主席 我想采访他
I take it you know him? Mmhm.
你认识他吧? 嗯
You could say that.
可以这样说
SETI, man. That’s fringe.
SETI 老兄 真是够边缘的
I’ve crossed paths with this guy.
我见过他
Something like that must really chap his ass, huh?
这项目一定让他气坏了
Compass.
指南针
For you, EI.
送给你的
You better keep this.
你最好自己留着
Might save your life someday.
可能有一天它会救你的命
Will you have dinner with me tonight?
令晚能否赏光和我吃晚饭?
I…
我…
I don’t make a very good research subject. I’m just not very quotable.
我可不是好的研究对象 我的话不可以引用的
No quotes. No quotes. Scout’s honor. Just a good meal, good company.
不引用任何话 我保证 只有美食 美伴
I gotta go.
我得走了
But, uh…
不过…
Drumlirs coming in this Tuesday.
杜木林博士星期二来
Now I remember why I took that desk job.
我现在想起来当时为何要去坐办公室了
Dr. Drumlin, how are you? Dr. Drumlin.
杜木林博士 你好吗? 杜木林博士
Glad you could make it, David.
很高兴你来 大卫
If I’d known it was gonna take three planes, I might’ve reconsidered.
若事先知到要转机三次 我会重新考虑
How is that new office?
新的工作如何?
I’m still settling in. They already wanna take half my budget and give it to the Pentagon.
仍在适应 但他们已经打算把一半预算给国防部了
Ellie. Still waiting for E.T. To call?
艾丽 仍在等ET外星人的电♥话♥吗?
Well, I understand we’re having a little… Good to see you too.
我知道我们… 我也很高兴和你见面!
Asshole.
混球!
Uh-oh. Looks like it’s gonna be a long night.
看来这晚会很闷
Science must first be accountable to the people who are paying for it, the taxpayers.
科学是要向纳税人交待的
We need to stop wasting money on pie-in-the-sky abstractions…
不能花钱在不切实际的抽像概念上…
and start spending it on practical, measurable ways…
该花在实际可行的方法…
to improve the lives of the people who are footing the bill.
改善那些付出了费用的人们的生活
Not unlike my L-band, globular-clusters work.
不像我的L波段 球状星团
Wait, you’re saying you wanna do away with all pure research now?
等等 你想取消纯研究工作?
What’s wrong with science being practical? Even profitable?
科学讲求实际或赚钱有何不对?
Nothing, as long as your motive is the search for truth.
没有不对 只要你的动机是要寻找真理
Which is exactly what the pursuit of science is.
那正是科学追求的目的
That’s a rather interesting position…
这有趣的说法出自…
coming from a man on a crusade against the evils of technology…
反对邪恶的技术的…
Father Joss.
曹神父之口
I’m not against technology, doctor.
我不是反对科学
I’m against the men who deify it at the expense of human truth.
我反对牺牲人类真理 而把技术奉为神明的人
Kent, I’ve been meaning to have a word with you. Over here, please.
肯特 我想和你说句话 请跟我来
Yeah, I’ll just…
好的 我马上…
I think that hurt my chances with that interview. What do you think?
看来我会没机会访问他了 你怎么想?
You’re a priest?
你是神父?
No, not really.
不算是
I got my Masters in Divinity…
我完成神学硕士学位…
then dropped out of seminary to do some secular humanitarian work…
然后离开神学院 从事世俗人道工作…
coordinating efforts for Third World churches.
协调第三世界教会讨努力
I couldn’t live with the whole celibacy thing.
我受不了清修生活
You could…
你能…
You could call me a man of the cloth…
你可说我是神职人员…
without the cloth.
但却又不是
You wanna get out of here?
你想出去吗?
All right, you see that sort of large, W-shaped constellation right there?
你有没有看见那大的W型星?
That’s Cassiopeia.
是仙后座
And Cassiopeia A gives off a whole lot of radio signals.
仙后座A发射大量无线电波
I actually listen to them a lot. It’s a remnant of a supernova.
我经常听 它是超新星的残馀
When did you know you wanted to be an astronomer?
你何时知道自己想做天文学家?
Well, when I…
当我…
When I was about 8 years old, I was watching the sunset…
当我八岁左右 一次看日落时…
and I asked my dad, “What’s that bright star over there?”
我问爸爸 那光亮的星是什么?
Dad, what’s that star there?
爸爸 那星星是什么?
And he said that it wasrt really a star at all. It was actually…
他说…那不是星 而是…
That’s not a star, it’s a planet.
不是星星 是行星
A whole planet called Venus…
称为金星的行星…
That’s the planet Venus.
是称为金星的行星
Which should be over there soon.
它很快便会出现
He said, “You know why they called it Venus?
他说 你可知它为何称为金星?
Because they thought it was so beautiful and glowing.
因为人们认为它很漂亮和发光
But what they didn’t know…
但他们不知道…
is that it’s filled with…
金星充满…
deadly gases and sulfuric acid rain.”
致命的气体及硫酸雨”
“Wow,” I thought, “This is it! I’m hooked.”
“哇” 我想 “这正是我想知道的 我入迷了”
You know, there are four hundred billion stars out there…
宇宙里单是我们的星河…
just in our galaxy alone.
就有四千亿颗星
If only one out of a million of those had planets…
若当中百万之一的星有行星…
all right, and ifjust one out of a million of those had life…
若行星当中百万之一有生命…
and ifjust one out of a million of those had intelligent life…
再若当中百万之一有”智慧”的生命…
there would be literally millions of civilizations out there.
那便会有以百万计的文明了
Well, if there wasrt…
若然没有…
it’d be an awful waste of space.
那真是很浪费地方
Amen.
阿门!
So I was lying there, just looking at the sky.
我躺在那儿 望向天空
And then I felt something. I don’t know, I…
然后感到有一些东西 我不晓得…
All I know is that I wasrt alone.
我只知道我并不孤单
And for the first time in my life I wasrt scared of nothing, you know?
我一生中第一次毫不畏惧
Not even dying.
甚至不怕死
It was God.
那是上帝
And there’s no chance that…
有没有可能…
you had this experience because some part of you needed to have it?
是你自己内心需要而产生的体验?
I mean, I’m a reasonably intelligent guy, but this…
我是个颇聪明的人 但这体验…
No, this… No, my intellect, it couldn’t even touch this.
我的智力亦无法明白
No.
不能
I’ve been to Sunday school a few times.
我上过几次周日学校
Uh-huh. And?
阿哈 怎样?
Well, I just kept asking all these really annoying questions like:
我不断提问令人讨厌的问题 比如:
“All right, then where did Mrs. Cain come from?”
“该隐太太是从哪来的?”
And pretty soon they called my dad and they asked him…
不久他们便要求我爸…
if he wouldn’t mind just keeping me home from now on.
如果可以的话就把我留在家里
Your dad…
你♥爸♥爸…
Is it this guy? Yeah.
是这个家伙吗? 是的
You’re close to him, aren’t you?
你和他很亲近吗?
Yeah, I was. He died when I was 9 years old.
是的 我九岁时他死了
I never got to know my mother.
我对妈没印象
I’m sorry.
对不起
That’s gotta be tough.
那一定很伤痛
Yeah.
是啊
Being alone.
孤单一人
What do you say…
怎么样…
we pack a picnic tomorrow morning and hike up to old Mount Arecibo?
我们明天野餐 到阿里斯登山远足?
I don’t think I can. I gotta work.
我不能 我要工作
All right, how about dinner, then, tomorrow night? I know a great dive.
明晚吃饭如何? 我知有个好地方
I don’t think so.
我看不行
Ellie, did I miss something? Huh?
艾丽 我说错了什么话吗? 嗯?
No. Shit, I’m late.
没有 妈的 我迟到了
I told Kent that I’d be there at 10:30.
我对肯特说十点半会到的
You know, I’m not trying to push you.
你要明白 我不是要强迫你
No, no. I’ve wanted to look at this sector for weeks.
我想看这一天区已好几星期
Just hang out and sleep in. And there’s a bunch of food in the fridge.
你休息一下 在这儿睡 冰箱有食物
Okay?
好吗?
How can I reach you?
我如何联♥系♥你?
Just leave your number. I’ll call you.
留下你的电♥话♥ 我来打给你吧
Dad!
爸爸!
Dad, it’s starting, you’re gonna miss it.
爸爸 开始了 你要错过了
Dad, there’s another one. Hurry up.
爸爸 又有一颗 快来
In a minute, Sparks. I’m almost done.
我很快便来 小火花 马上好了
There’s another one. Come on, hurry up, Dad!
又有一颗 爸 你快点!
Dad?
爸?