Are you really gonna sit there and tell us we should just take this all…
你却只坐在这里说我们要相信这…
on faith?
是真的?
Please answer the question, doctor.
请回答问题 博士
Is it possible that it didn’t happen?
可能此事没发生吗?
Yes.
有可能
As a scientist I must concede that. I must volunteer that.
作为科学家我得同意 我得面对
Wait a minute, let me get this straight.
等等 让我弄清楚
You admit you have absolutely no physical evidence to back up your story?
你承认没实据支持你的故事?
Yes.
是的
You admit that you very well may have hallucinated this whole thing?
你承认整件事是你的幻想?
Yes. You admit that if you were in our position…
是的 你承认易地而处…
you would respond with exactly the same degree of incredulity and skepticism?
你也会像我们那么不相信和多疑?
Yes.
是的
Then why don’t you simply withdraw your testimony and concede…
你为何不撤销你的证词并承认…
that this journey to the center of the galaxy in fact never took place!?
这星河之旅并没有发生呢!?
Because I can’t.
因为我不能
I had an experience.
我有经历过
I can’t prove it. I can’t even explain it.
我无法证实 甚至无法解释
But everything that I know as a human being, everything I am…
但作为人类 我所经历的每件事情…
tells me it was real.
都告诉我 这是真的
I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever.
我得到一些很棒的事情 永远改变我的事情
A vision…
一个启示…
of the universe…
关于宇宙的启示…
that tells us undeniably…
这个启示不可否认地告诉我们…
how tiny and insignificant…
我们是多么渺小和无关紧要…
and how rare and precious we all are.
以及我们又同时是是多稀有和珍贵
A vision that tells us that we belong to something…
这启示告诉我们 我们是属于一些…
that is greater than ourselves, that we are not… That none of us are alone.
比我们更伟大的东西 我们… 我们并不孤单
I wish I could share that.
我希望可以分享这一点
I wish…
我希望…
that everyone, if even for one moment…
所有人 哪怕是有一刻间…
could feel that awe and humility and hope.
可以感到那种敬畏 谦恭和希望
But…
但是…
That continues to be my wish.
那仍然是我的愿望
Dr. Arroway, get a picture, please? Get a photo over here?
雅博士 能拍张照片吗?
Here comes Ellie.
艾丽现身了
Reverend Joss! Reverend Joss!
曹牧师 曹牧师
Reverend Joss, what do you believe? What do you believe?
曹牧师 你相信什么? 你相信什么?
As a person of faith, I’m bound by a different covenant than Dr. Arroway.
做为信神的人 我遵循和雅博士不同的信条
But our goal is one and the same.
但我们的目标是相同的
The pursuit of truth.
追寻真理
I, for one, believe her.
我是相信她的人之一
So, what happens now? We give her a medal?
现在怎样? 给她奖章吗?
I’d say at least a healthy grant.
我要说最少也得给她相当一笔拨款
I assume you read the confidential report from the investigating committee?
你看过调查委员会的机密报告?
I flipped through it.
我♥草♥草看过
I was especially interested in the section on Arroway’s video unit.
我对雅的录像部份很有兴趣
The one that recorded the static.
录的静电那一段
Continue.
继续说
The fact that it recorded static isn’t what interests me.
我感兴趣的不是它录的静电
Continue.
继续说
What interests me…
我感兴趣的…
is that it recorded approximately 18 hours of it.
是她录了大约十八小时长的静电
That is interesting, isn’t it?
真有趣 不是吗?
You can see over there, we’re building 45 brand-new dishes.
看那边 我们建造45个新的射电望远镜
And that means when you put them together with all the radio telescopes…
那是说将它们和世界各地的射电望远镜…
all over the world…
连接起来…
then we get to hear farther into space than anybody has ever heard before.
便可听到太空深处 从来没人听到过的声音
Yeah.
说吧
Are there other people out there in the universe?
宇宙里还有其他人吗?
That’s a good question. What do you think, huh?
问得好 你认为呢?
I don’t know. That’s a good answer.
我不知道 答得好
Skeptic, huh?
小怀疑论者 呵?
The important thing is that you all keep searching for your own answers.
重要的是我们要坚持找到自己的答案
I’ll tell you one thing about the universe, though.
但宇宙有一事是真的
The universe is a pretty big place.
宇宙是非常大的地方
It’s bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before.
你做梦都想不到有多大
So if it’s just us…
若只是有我们…
it seems like an awful waste of space.
那就太浪费地方了
Right?
不是吗?