希尔教授将宣誓
Professor Hill will be sworn
并亲自发布自己的陈述
and will make her own statement in her own words.
你做得很好
You did good.
有房♥间预留给希尔教授?- 据我所知没有 先生
Is there a room set aside for Professor Hill? – Not that I know of, sir.
那就给我们找一间 该死的 – 是 先生
Then find us one, damn it. – Yes, sir.
谢谢
Thanks.
完全不关心我的感觉 是吗?
Not exactly concerned about my comfort, are they?
别担心那个 你会没事
Don’t worry about that. You’ll be fine.
你为什么要参与此事?
Why are you doing this?
我有学生比托马斯更有资格
I’ve got students more qualified than Thomas.
加上我相信你
Plus, I believe you.
永久教职呢?
What about tenure?
24小时内 我可以得到我想要的任何工作
Hell, in 24 hours, I’ll be able to get any job I want.
去他的教职
Fuck tenure.
进来
Come in.
教授 他们已经为你准备好了
Professor, they’re ready for you now.
谢谢
Thank you.
听证会中请安静
Hearing will come to order.
欢迎你 教授
Welcome, Professor.
我们代表委员会感谢你
We thank you on behalf of the Committee for making time for this.
为此赶过来 我知道不容易
I know it wasn’t easy,
我们为此感谢 请站起来宣誓
and we appreciate that. Uh, please stand to be sworn in.
你发誓说真话
Do you swear to tell the truth,
全部真话 只讲真话 苍天可鉴?
the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?
我会 – 好
I do. – Okay.
请吧 请开始你的开庭陈述
Go ahead, then, with your opening statement, please.
主席先生… – 对不起
Mr. Chairman… – Excuse me. Excuse me.
我要指示有关人员不要让人进出
I’m going to instruct the officers to not let anybody in or out of those doors
在希尔教授做开庭陈述时
while Professor Hill is making this opening statement, please.
可以么?
Can we do that?
主席先生
Mr. Chairman,
瑟蒙德参议员
Senator Thurmond,
委员会委员们
members of the Committee.
我的名字是安妮塔·希尔
My name is Anita F. Hill,
我是俄克拉何马大学法学教授
and I am a professor of law at the University of Oklahoma.
1956年我出生在俄克拉何马 奥克马尔吉郡一个农场
I was born on a farm in Okmulgee County, Oklahoma, in 1956.
我是13个孩子中最小的一个
I’m the youngest of 13 children.
在教♥育♥部♥工作期间…
During this period at the Department of Education…
你在那里看?- 我不会去看
Are you watching in there? – I’m not gonna watch at all.
但他们要你回来时 他们会认为你看过
But when they bring you back, they’ll assume that you saw it.
随他们怎么想
They can assume whatever they like.
我听够了这些谎言
I’ve heard enough of these lies.
在那里工作大约三个月后
After approximately three months of working there,
他让我和他一去出去应酬
he asked me to go out socially with him.
接下来的事情和公开叙述这件事
What happened next and telling the world about it
是我生活经历中最困难的两件事
are two of the most difficult things… Experiences of my life.
我的工作关系变得更加紧张
My working relationship became even more strained
当托马斯法官开始利用工作情况讨论性时
when Judge Thomas began to use work situations to discuss sex.
他谈到在色情电影里看到的性行为
He spoke about acts that he had seen in pornographic films
包括和动物发生性行为的女性
involving such matters as women having sex with animals
和呈现群♥交♥或强♥奸♥场面的电影
and films showing group sex or rape scenes.
他谈到淫秽物品
He talked about pornographic materials
描绘大阴♥茎♥
depicting individuals with large penises
或大♥乳♥房♥的人参与各种性行为
or large breasts involved in various sex acts.
有几次托马斯形象地告诉我他自己的性能力
On several occasions, Thomas told me graphically of his own sexual prowess.
因为我对和他谈论性极其不安
Because I was extremely uncomfortable talking about sex with him at all
特别是以这样一种具体的方式
and particularly in such a graphic way,
我告诉他我不想
I told him that I did not want
谈论这些主题
to talk about these subjects.
谁接下电♥话♥
Somebody answer those.
我也试图把话题转到教育问题
I would also try to change the subject to education matters
或和性无关的个人事务
or to nonsexual personal matters,
如他的背景和信仰
such as his background or his beliefs.
我改变话题的努力很少成功
My efforts to change the subject were rarely successful.
在教♥育♥部♥工作的后面一段时间
During the latter part of my time at the Department of Education,
应酬压力和他的冒犯行为终止
the social pressures and his offensive behavior ended.
我开始相信并希望
I began both to believe and hope
我们的工作关系会是恰当 诚恳和专业的关系
that our working relationship could be a proper, cordial, and professional one.
当托马斯法官成为均等就业机会委员会主席时
When Judge Thomas was made chair of the EEOC,
我面对是否随他一起去的问题
I needed to face the question of whether to go with him.
要求我去 我也去了
I was asked to do so, and I did.
工作本身很有趣
The work itself was interesting
那时看起来
and at that time it appeared
困扰我的性话题结束了
that the sexual overtures which had so troubled me had ended.
然而在1982年秋冬
However, during the fall and winter of 1982,
它们又再次开始
these began again.
我记得最奇怪的情节之一
One of the oddest episodes I remember was an occasion
是有一次托马斯在他办公室喝可乐
in which Thomas was drinking a Coke in his office.
他从我们一起工作的桌边站起来
He got up from the table at which we were working,
走到他办公桌拿了个可乐
went over to his desk to get a Coke,
看着可乐罐问 “谁把阴毛放在我可乐上”?
looked at the can, and asked, “Who has put pubic hair on my Coke?”
其他场合他提到自己阴♥茎♥
On other occasions, he referred to the size of his own penis
大于正常的尺寸
as being larger than normal,
他还谈到他给过两个女人
and he also spoke of the pleasures he had given to women
口♥交♥的愉悦
with oral sex.
最后我清楚地记得他表示
Finally, he made a comment that I will vividly remember.
如果我把他的行为告诉任何人
He said that if I ever told anyone of his behavior,
他的职业生涯就会被毁
that it would ruin his career.
我对克拉伦斯·托马斯没有个人恩怨
I have no personal vendetta against Clarence Thomas.
我只寻求向委员会
I seek only to provide the Committee
提交可能有关的信息
with information which it may regard as relevant.
本来保持沉默会更舒适
It would have been more comfortable to remain silent.
我没有主动告知任何人
I took no initiative to inform anyone,
但当本委员会的代表要求我
but when I was asked by a representative of this Committee
报告我的经历
to report my experience,
我觉得我必须说实话
I felt that I had to tell the truth.
我不能保持沉默
I could not keep silent.
他决不会扛过今天
There’s no way he survives this day.
教授 在我提问前
Professor, before I begin my questioning,
我注意到你有许多人在这里
I notice that you have a number of people here.
有朋友或家人今天和你一起么?
You’ve got friends or family joining you here today?
我家人还没到
My family hasn’t arrived.
对不起 他们在这里 在大厅里
They… I’m sorry. They are here, but they’re in the hall.
我们会为你家人腾出地方
We will make room for your family.
这是个很大的家庭 参议员
It’s a very large family, Senator.
我们能打开这些门么?
Well, let’s… Can we open those doors, please,
让希尔教授家人进来
get Professor Hill’s family in here?
如果可以 这里腾些椅子
If we can clear some of these chairs here.
如果不是必须在这里 也许你能腾出位子
If you’re not essential, maybe you can clear over here.
爱你 宝贝
Love you, baby.
干得好
Here you go.
白宫幕后谈话如何?
What’s the backroom conversation at the White House?
我只是猜测 彼得 还没结束 我不知道
I’m just speculating here, Peter. It isn’t over, and I don’t know,
但你在这里的感觉 虽然不会公开说
but the sense that you get here, although they won’t say it publicly,
他们很沮丧
is that they’re pretty gloomy.
务必给朴素的父母亲切的特写
By all means, let’s get loving close-ups of the salt-of-the-earth parents.
这不是偏见
That’s not prejudicial.
总统在看么?
Is the President watching?
他仍支持这家伙?好 是的 就确认下 好吧
He’s still behind the guy? Okay, yeah. Just making sure. All right.
我必须要问
I had to ask.
教授 我想请你
I must ask you, Professor,
再次充分解释 如果你愿意
to explain again and more fully, if you would,
你宣称的
the behavior that you have alleged,
超越职业范围的
that you say went beyond, uh, professional,
嗯 商业行为
um, business practices.
所有行为发生在工作中?
Did all that behavior take place at work?
是的 的确
Yes, it did.
你能尽你所能用自己的话
And just in your own words, as best you can,
告诉委员会
can you tell the Committee where each of these incidents
在开庭陈述中你提到那些事情
that you mentioned in your opening statement