对电视和报纸上的
to respond to some of the information
一些信息作出回应
which has been on the television and in the newspapers.
就是这些 希尔教授
So without any more, Professor Hill.
这就是她?
So that’s her, huh?
这是好事 这些女孩 总认为和媒体接触有帮助
This is good. These girls always think it’ll help to talk to the press,
每次她们都表现的很卑鄙
and every time they come off looking cheap.
早上好
Good morning.
我有三点声明
I… I have three points
今天需要向你们澄清
that I really want to make clear here with you today,
然后将回答任何问题
and afterward, I will attempt to answer any question
尽我所能 全面直率
as fully and forthrightly as I can.
我今天想讲的第一点是这个说法
The first point that I want to address today
这是某个政♥治♥策略的一部分
is the idea that this is somehow part of a political ploy.
这和事实完全不符
Nothing could be further from the truth.
这会使我个人和事业上 付出巨大代价
This has taken a great toll on me personally and professionally,
我决不会出于政♥治♥目的做这种事
and there is no way that I would do something like that for political purposes.
了解整个过程或许对你们有帮助
It’s helpful perhaps for you to understand how I came to make this statement.
九月初参议院司法委员会和我接触
I was approached by the Senate Judiciary Committee in early September.
他们找我是作为
They approached me…
曾与克拉伦斯·托马斯一起工作的人
as someone who had worked with Clarence Thomas.
问我在那里工作情况的问题
They asked me questions about work that I had done there,
他们特别问到性骚扰
and they asked specifically about sexual harassment.
有人说我一直等到最后一刻
Some people have said that I have waited until the eleventh hour
把此事透露给记者 我从没找过记者
to bring this to the press. I never came to the press.
是记者找我
The press came to me.
你认为对此事的关注
Do you think that the attention that this is getting
越来越影响周二的投票?
will affect the vote on Tuesday?
我认为你应该问你的参议员
I think you have to ask your senator.
我不知道它已有或将有的影响
I don’t know what effect it has or will have.
最终结果对你意味着什么?你想得到什么?
What does the final resolution mean for you? What do you want?
如果参议员们充分考虑这个信息
If the senators fully consider this information
并得出结论 我就满足了
and come to a conclusion, I will be satisfied.
这是我想要的
That is what I want.
他们充分考虑并认真对待此事
For them to fully consider it and take this seriously.
我看她并不卑鄙
She doesn’t look cheap to me.
根据你的经验
Based on your experience,
你觉得他有资格成为最高法官么?
do you feel he’s not qualified to be on the Supreme Court?
你在问我是否为他当最高法官投赞成票?
You’re asking me, would I vote for him to be on the Supreme Court?
呵 麻烦了
Oh, boy, there’s trouble.
华盛顿几乎每个参议员办公室
In almost every Senate office in Washington,
整周电♥话♥一直在忙
the phones have been busy all week.
好 非常感谢打电♥话♥来
All right, thanks a lot for calling.
打电♥话♥的人对克拉伦斯·托马斯和性骚扰的指控很生气
Callers are angry about Clarence Thomas and allegations about sexual harassment.
参议院领导人说司法委员会
Senate leaders say the Judiciary Committee
调查过对托马斯的指控
already has investigated the allegation against Thomas
他们不打算推迟周二晚上对他提名的投票
and they do not intend to delay Tuesday evening’s vote on his nomination.
我们到这里找米切尔参议员
We’re here to see Senator Mitchell.
帕特 这是参议院私人午餐 房♥里的成员…
Pat, this is a private Senate lunch. Members of the House are…
你是公务员 乔治
You’re a public servant, George.
你现在没有隐私的权利
You don’t have a right to privacy right now.
你需要推迟托马斯的参议院表决
You need to delay the Senate vote on Thomas
并要对这些指控进行全面听证
and hold a full hearing on these charges.
你看 对这事我和你一样心烦
Look, I’m just as upset about this as you are.
不 我表示怀疑 – 他不是皇帝
No, I doubt that. – He’s not the emperor.
他不能停止或推迟参议院投票 只因为…
He can’t stop or delay a vote on the Senate floor just because…
我们知道该死的规则 乔
We know the damn rules, Joe.
好吧 帕特 你知道你需要说服全体一致同意
Well, Pat, then you know you need unanimous consent from the entire body.
如果你能说服这些家伙里的每一个…
If, if you want to try to convince each and every one of these guys…
你请便 – 自便
Help yourself. – be my guest, yeah.

Fine.
这么大权力 这么少能力
So much power, so little leadership.
你听到这些电♥话♥铃♥声♥ 你知道这些铃♥声♥是什么?
You heard those phones ringing. You know what that sound was?
这是你51%选民的声音…
It’s the sound of 51% of your constituents…
在告诉你 如果你不顾此事而进行投票…
saying if you vote for Thomas without looking into this…
他们不会忘记
they will not forget it.
我们不推迟投票
We are not postponing this vote.
只假设要推迟多久?
Just hypothetically, how long would the postponement have to be?
对这些指控的真正调查将需要数周
A real investigation of these charges would take weeks.
你不能劫持确认过程
You can’t hijack the process like that,
这个女人原本有很长时间讲出来
not when this woman had months, years to speak up.
如果你容许有个平台
If you’re gonna allow her to have a platform
让她说话
for what she’s saying,
你在把传闻上升为事实 – 谁把她挖出来的?
you’ll be raising rumor to fact. – Who the hell dug her up anyway?
我们已经丢票太多
We’ve lost too many.
现在进行全体投票 我们票数不够
Take the full Senate vote right now, we’ll come up short.
有人泄露了
Somebody leaked it.
是 你委员会里某人
Yeah, somebody on your Committee.
吉姆 我收到你的消息 我觉得你犯了个错误
Jim, I got your message and I want to say I think you are making a mistake.
如果这样廉价的行为 就可以破坏任何提名 以后
If a cheap move like this can derail anyone’s nomination, then…
好吧
All right.
我明白了 吉姆 谢谢你打电♥话♥
I understand, Jim, and I thank you for calling me.
我们可以今天投票 但你会输
We can take the vote today, but you’ll lose.
克拉伦斯 这是杰克
Clarence, it’s Jack.
这不是说他们不想投你的票
It’s not that they don’t want to vote for you.
他们只是觉得不能 因为这事引起这么大热度
They just don’t feel they can with all the heat they’re getting on this thing,
因此我们需要推迟 参议院投票并举♥行♥听证
so we need to delay the Senate vote and hold a hearing.
通通气 把那些票拿回来
Air all this out. Get these votes back.
参议院批准延迟的唯一方法是你自己要求推迟
The only way the Senate will approve a delay is if you ask for it yourself.
克拉伦斯 你怎么说?
Clarence, what do you say?
我…
I…
我这里需要个回答 克拉伦斯 告诉我该做什么
I need an answer here, Clarence. Tell me what we should do.
看在上帝份上 把该死的电♥话♥给我
For love of Pete! Give me the damn phone.
这是艾伦·辛普森 法官 你好吗?
Alan Simpson here, Judge. How you doing?
我不能这样 参议员 我不知道她为什么这样对我
I can’t take this, Senator. I don’t know why she’s doing this to me.
好吧 鼓起勇气 伙计 没时间自怨自艾
Well, buckle up your guts, pal. There’s no time for self-pity.
有人这样对我 我会告诉你我会怎么做
Somebody did this to me, I’ll tell you what I’d do,
如果你做不到这点 我不会投你票
and if you can’t do that, I will not vote for you.
你和杰克说要重新回来
You are going to get back on with Jack
告诉他 你会不惜一切洗刷名声
and tell him you will do whatever it takes to clear your name.
克拉伦斯?告诉我你想怎么办
Clarence? Tell me what you want to do.
参议院已同意就你的陈述举♥行♥听证 教授
The Senate has agreed to hold hearings on your claims, Professor.
他们需要你作证
We need to have you testify.
实际上 我们周五要再次举♥行♥会议
In fact, we’re gonna reconvene here on Friday,
周五?参议员 只有三天
Friday? Senator, that’s in three days.
我需要准备 还要旅行
And I’m supposed to prepare and travel and…
别担心这些 我有年轻干员
Don’t worry about any of that. I got a great young staff,
他们会在各方面帮你 事务后勤和你的证人
who are gonna help you out with everything. Logistics and your witnesses.
容许多少人给我作证?
How many will be allowed to testify on my behalf?
安妮塔 我…
Well, Anita, I…
教授 我相信托马斯法官已经传唤两个同事
Professor, I think Judge Thomas has got two colleagues that he’ll be calling on.
他已选了他的证人?他什么时候听到这个?
He’s already chosen his witnesses. When did he hear about this?
老姐 我支持你 我是 你即将参加…
Oh, kiddo, I feel for you. I do. You’re about to head into…
原谅我骂人 一个真正的狗屎表演
Pardon my French. A real shit show here.
我告诉你 如果我不是主席 我会自己担任你的律师
I’ll tell you, if I wasn’t chairing this thing, I’d be your lawyer myself.
你…
You…
你已有法律顾问 对么?
You have secured legal counsel, right?
啥时候需要?我根本不知道我需要
When would I have done that? I had no idea I needed it.
晚上好 今晚首先报道那个在今天席卷了参议院的
Good evening, we begin tonight with a tidal wave of doubt
疑问浪潮
that swept through the Senate today.
延迟投票尚未正式公布
There’s been no official announcement yet of a vote delay,
只是因为他们还在试图决定
but that’s only because they’re still trying to decide
应该延迟多久 将会延迟多久
how long it ought to be, how long it will be.
每天我走在那里听到什么?
What do I hear every time I walk on the floor?
“这个民权法案如何 杰克?
“How’s the civil rights bill, Jack?
“你对我们的民权法案有啥行动?”
“What are you doing for us on your civil rights bill?”
除非这个麻烦得到解决 我一件事也干不了
Until this mess is resolved to my satisfaction, I’m not doing one damn thing.
推迟投票一周?下周二参议院全体投票
Delay the vote a week? Full Senate vote next Tuesday.
这不是假设 – 这是什么?
That’s not ideal. – What about this is?
仅仅是在参议院投票前调查指控
This is only to examine the charges before the Senate vote.
我们不重新进行委员会投票 结果显而易见
We do not revisit the Committee vote. That stands.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!