调查进行如何?
How thorough was the investigation?
不是那么彻底 他们只有两天时间
Oh, it wasn’t exhaustive. Christ, they had two days to do it.
这是个严重的指控 值得重视
It’s a serious charge that deserves serious attention.
我们已计划两天后对这家伙投票
We got a vote scheduled on this guy in two days.
要深入追究 我们必须推迟
To dig into all this, we’re gonna have to postpone that,
没有理由的话我无法办到
and I can’t do that without an explanation.
他们都不希望这事公开 所以除非有人有更好计划
Neither of them wants this thing public, so unless somebody has a better plan,
我们就如期在周五为候选人投票
we’re gonna vote on the nominee on Friday as scheduled.
我们让参议院全体对他投票
We’ll send him on to the full Senate for their vote.
他向整个委员会展示这个报告?
He showed the report to the whole Committee?
是的 没问题
Yes, but it’s fine.
克拉伦斯 这些是参议员
Clarence, these guys are senators.
他们能识破狗屁伎俩
They know a BS ploy when they see one.
即使想用它整出点东西
And even if they wanted to make something of it,
他们也不会 他们敢么?
which they don’t, who would dare?
迪康西尼自己对道德指控焦头烂额
I mean, DeConcini, he’s up to his neck in ethics charges.
肯尼迪 在他那个夏天以后也是
And Kennedy, after the summer he’s had…
你是说我不该在乎我名字 和这个垃圾相联♥系♥?
You’re saying I shouldn’t care that my name is gonna be linked to this garbage?
你是说我不应该关心
You’re saying that I shouldn’t care
人们想到我时会想到这个?
that when people think of me, they’re gonna think of this?
我是说没人会想到这个
I’m saying no one will think of this.
但我不能不在乎 我不是肯尼迪
But I can’t not care. I’m not Kennedy.
我是个美国黑人
I’m a black man in America.
这对我非同寻常
This is a very different thing for me.
瑟蒙德先生?- 赞成
Mr. Thurmond? – Aye.
哈奇先生?- 赞成
Mr. Hatch? – Aye.
辛普森先生?- 赞成
Mr. Simpson? – Aye.
格拉斯利先生?- 赞成
Mr. Grassley? – Aye.
克特先生?- 赞成
Mr. Specter? – Aye.
布朗先生?- 赞成
Mr. Brown? – Aye.
拜登先生?- 反对
Mr. Biden? – No.
委员会14名成员平分秋色
The 14 members of the Committee split right down the middle,
7人赞成 7人反对提名
seven for and seven against his nomination.
这个信息表明 托马斯不是个好候选人
The message, Thomas is not a great candidate.
但他的提名被送到参议院
Still, his nomination was sent to the full Senate,
在那里存在变数
where it is all but certain
是否确认他的提名
that he will be confirmed.
喂?- 希尔教授 这是尼娜·托滕伯格
Hello? – Professor Hill, this is Nina Totenberg
全国公共广播电台的尼娜·托滕伯格报道
NPR’s Nina Totenberg reports.
我收到你传真 给司法委员会的证词副本
I received a copy of the affidavit that you faxed the Judiciary Committee
声称克拉伦斯·托马斯性骚扰你
stating that Clarence Thomas sexually harassed you.
我想问你些问题
I’d like to ask you some questions.
上帝
Jesus!
妈的 操蛋
God damn it. Fuck.
确实是操蛋
“Fuck” is right.
尼娜·托滕伯格和蒂姆·菲尔普斯
I have Nina Totenberg and Tim Phelps
问我有关克拉伦斯·托马斯和性骚扰
asking me about Clarence Thomas and sexual harassment.
妈的
God damn it.
他们说谁泄露了的吗?
Did they say who leaked it?
当然没有 – 好吧 起草一份声明
No, of course not. – All right, draw up a statement.
表示对指控进行了调查 发现毫无根据
Say the charges have been investigated, found to be baseless.
总统对他的提名人完全信任
The President has total faith in his nominee.
总统是否知道?- 我会告诉他
Does the President know? – I’ll tell him.

Hello.

Hi!
明天新闻里会讲到我
I’m gonna be in the news tomorrow.
唔…
Um…
报道的一些事情会让你们震惊
Some of the things they’ll be reporting will be shocking to you.
我为此非常抱歉
I’m so sorry for that.
这是 “周末版” 我是兰妮汉森
This is Weekend Edition. I’m Liane Hansen.
一个担任克拉伦斯·托马斯私人助理超过两年的女性
A woman who served as personal assistant to Clarence Thomas for over two years
指责他性骚扰
has accused him of sexually harassing her.
全国公共广播电台的尼娜·托滕伯格报道
NPR’s Nina Totenberg reports.
法学教授安妮塔·希尔说
Law professor Anita Hill said
她和克拉伦斯·托马斯有许多共同点
she had much in common with Clarence Thomas
她最初认为共同的背景
and that she initially believed that common background
是10年前他雇她 担任私人助理的原因之一
was one of the reasons he hired her as his personal assistant 10 years ago.
据希尔的证词 托马斯很快开始约她出去应酬
According to Hill’s affidavit, Thomas soon began asking her out socially
并拒绝接受她的解释
and refused to accept her explanation
她认为和她老板出去不合适
that she did not think it appropriate to go out with her boss.
一个简短工作讨论后 托马斯
Thomas, after a brief work discussion,
“把交谈转到对他性兴趣的讨论”
would, quote, “turn conversation to discussions about his sexual interests.”
接受采访时她承认他从没碰过她
He never touched her, she acknowledged in an interview,
从没直接威胁她的工作
and he never directly threatened her job,
但她说 她25岁 开始担心
but she said she was 25, and she began to worry
如果不顺从她职业生涯会很快受挫
that she would soon suffer professionally if she did not submit.
全国公共广播电台接触的几个参议员说他们十分担心
Several senators contacted by NPR say they are troubled by the
因为希尔的指控和拜登主席一直推迟调查
Hill allegations and the long delay in investigating them by Chairman Biden.
你看 卡罗琳 在她那里听起来
Carolyn, all right, look, she’s out there making it sound
像我们对这个该死的事情毫无行动
like we haven’t done a goddamn thing on this.
我要他们间的完整电♥话♥记录
I want a full chronology, who called who and when, all right?
我不会在这件事上充当坏人
I’m not gonna be the bad guy on this thing.
汤姆 我需要电♥话♥记录 – 出啥事了?
Tom, I need those phone logs. – What happened?
我答应她不公开 我答应过她
I promised her this wouldn’t get out. I gave my word.
这太愚蠢了 对吗?
That was pretty fucking stupid, wasn’t it?
在这个城市这种事情保不住密 你应该知道
Nothing like this stays secret in this town. You should know that.
麻烦又找上了已受争议的
Trouble today for President Bush’s already controversial
最高法官提名人克拉伦斯·托马斯
Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas.
民♥主♥党领导声称指控 “非常令人不安”
Leading Democrats label the charges, quote, “very disturbing.”
参议员说这预料会发生在
The senator says this is the kind of thing one expects
政♥治♥竞选最后时期 而不是司法确认
in the last moments of a political campaign, not a judicial confirmation.
丹福斯说 整个事情有非常明确和强烈的气息
The whole thing, says Danforth, has a very definite and strong aroma to it.
我刚和托马斯夫人通话
I just spoke with Mrs. Thomas.
他在写证词 他想发给新闻界
He’s writing an affidavit. He wants to release it to the press.
不行 处理一下 所有事都要经过我的手
Hell, no. Get on that. Everything goes through me.

Yeah.
它基本和你的一样
It’s basically the same as yours,
除了没像你一样 一条条反驳她的宣称
except instead of refuting her claims one by one like you did,
我们认为一个明确否认更有意义
we thought it made more sense to offer a single categorical denial.
为什么?
Why?
我们只是要加倍小心
It’s just us being extra careful
有可能在某个时候 你说过的某些话
in the off chance that, at some point, something was said by you.
一些即兴的评论也许并无不当
Some off-the-cuff comment, not inappropriate,
但她当成不当
but which she took to be inappropriate.
你不相信我 – 不 我们相信
You don’t believe me. – No, we do. We do.
如果某些事情发生过 而你画押说没发生
If something happened and you sign anything asserting that it didn’t,
这是宣誓事实的虚假陈述 这是弹劾的理由
it’s a misstatement of sworn fact. It’s grounds for impeachment.
忘了最高法♥院♥ 克拉伦斯 现职都可能保不住
Forget the Supreme Court, Clarence, you could lose your current job.
我知道 肯
I know that, Ken.
她在这里 – 希尔教授
She’s here! – Professor Hill!
是某个政♥治♥团体让你这样做的么?
Anita, did a political group put you up to this?
你和托马斯法官有个人恩怨么?
Do you have a personal vendetta against Judge Thomas?
这个女性和她所在的年代…
The chronology of this woman and her participation…
10年前 他办公室有几十个女性
Dozens of women in his office
目前只有一个人作证
and only one person testifies to this 10 years ago.
我一直对安妮塔有看法
I’ve always had my concerns about Anita.
我好奇她是否知道她在做什么
And I wonder, really, if she knows what she did.
正作出的指控
The allegations that are being made
绝对没有根据 绝不是真的
are just absolutely unfounded and absolutely not true.
我生气是有可能
I am offended that there is a possibility
从他身上剥夺这个机会
that this opportunity may be snatched from him.
打扰一下 – 给我们一些空间
Excuse me. – Give us some room.
好 你没事吧?- “好么”?
Okay. You okay? – “Okay”?
你听到人们如何说我?
Have you heard what people are saying about me?
别管它
Ignore it.
有人在全国电视上因你撒谎 这是你要做的?
Is that what you’d do if people were lying about you on national television?
早上好 我是戴夫·斯万克
Good morning. I’m Dave Swank,
法律学院院长
Dean of the College of Law.
希尔教授 我们的一个教师
Professor Hill, a member of our faculty,
请求一个今天上午召开新闻发布会的机会
has asked an opportunity to hold a press conference this morning

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!