对 – 经历不错吧?
That’s right. – Good experiences?
我为在两个办公室完成的事情骄傲
I was proud of things we accomplished at both offices.
教授 我们听说托马斯法官
Professor, we’ve heard that Judge Thomas mistreated young women
对在均等就业机会委员会为他工作的女性不公
who worked for him at the EEOC.
你知道这些事么?
Do you know anything about that?
这不是我可以谈的事情
That’s not something I can talk about.
为什么不?
Why not?
我换个方式说
I’ll put it this way.
如果要我建议骚扰的受害者
If I were advising someone who were a victim of his unwanted advances,
我不认为我会建议她挺身而出
I don’t think I would suggest that she come forward.
根据我的经验这样情况下挺身而出
In my experience, in a case like this, when someone comes forward,
受害人往往被当成恶棍
the victim tends to become the villain.
教授 未来几十年里
Professor, in the next few decades,
最高法♥院♥将作出重要决定
the Supreme Court will be making crucial decisions
将对美国女性的生活产生真正影响
that will have a real impact on the lives of American women.
如果不是事关重大 我也不会问
If there were less at stake, I wouldn’t ask.
你自己是骚扰的受害者么?
Were you one of the victims of his advances?
我只向参议院司法委员会陈述
What I say is to the Senate Judiciary Committee only,
不是为了公众消遣
not for public consumption.
同意
Agreed.
我不希望它看起来有政♥治♥意图
I wouldn’t want it to appear that I had a political agenda.
我会明确
I’ll make it clear.
是我找你
I came to you.
我最早的记忆是佐治亚针尖社区
My earliest memories are those of Pin Point, Georgia,
一种遥远的生活 它在空间和时间上远离
a life far removed in space and time
这个房♥间 这一天
from this room, this day,
这一刻 – 它开始于教♥育♥部♥
this moment. – It started at the Department of Education.
但我心里一直承载着我年轻时的价值观
But I have always carried in my heart the values of my youth.
我祖父母和邻居的价值观
The values of my grandparents and my neighbors.
那就是人们对这个国家有深深的信任
The values of people who believe so very deeply in this country
尽管有着种种矛盾
in spite of all of the contradictions.
我希望听证会结束时
It is my hope that when these hearings are complete,
委员会将确定我是一个诚实 正派
that this Committee will conclude that I am an honest, decent,
公平的人
fair person.
今晚NBC的安德烈·米切尔在国会山报道
We begin tonight’s coverage with NBC’s Andrea Mitchell on Capitol Hill.
今天克拉伦斯·托马斯谈起种族主义和
Clarence Thomas held the Judiciary Committee spellbound today
贫穷中的成长经历让司法委员会着迷
as he talked about growing up in poverty and racism.
你为什么把这给我?- 你是调查员
Why are you bringing this to me? – You’re an investigator.
跟进 给她打电♥话♥
Follow up. Call her.
我不能 不能从这个办公室
I can’t do that, not from this office.
你了解拜登对这类事的态度 他决不会
You know how Biden is about this type of thing. He’d never…
卡罗琳 她的指控是性骚扰
Carolyn, what she’s alleging is sexual harassment.
这是违法的
It’s against the law.
好 把它交给你自己的参议员 让他处理
Okay, so bring it to your own senator. Have him deal with it.
肯尼迪可以在很多问题上带头
Kennedy can lead the charge on a lot of issues.
性不当行为不是其中之一 我们都知道这点
Sexual impropriety isn’t one of them. We both know that.
好 让我们推算下
Fine, let’s play this out.
我做调查 结果出来 然后呢?
Say I do investigate and it pans out. Then what?
然后委员会为此传唤托马斯
Then the Committee calls Thomas on it.
哪个参议员会管这事?
And which senator is gonna take that on?
不是我的 当然不是你的
Not mine. Certainly not yours.
我不知道 也许莱希 西蒙
I don’t know. Leahy maybe. Simon.
好 即使他们对此积极 其他人呢?
Okay, but even if they were up for it, what about the others?
我的意思是 瑞奇
I mean, Ricki,
这些家伙中一半对女性有极不可靠的动态
half these guys have their own very shaky dynamics with women.
他们不会想打开这个门
They are not gonna want this door to open.
他们可能别无选择
Well, they might not have a choice.
给我安妮塔希尔名字的人 希望我们调查
The people who gave me Anita Hill’s name expect us to investigate it.
如果我们不 他们会泄露出去
If we don’t, they’ll probably leak it.
她说了什么?他对她动手了?
So she’s saying what? That he touched her?
不 她说是口头的
No, she says it was verbal.
有其他女性说一样的事情?- 我们不了解
Any other women saying the same thing? – Not that we know of.
她有确凿的证人
She does have a corroborating witness, though.
那时她告诉了一位朋友
A friend she told at the time.
她们可信么?
Somebody credible?
一个法官 希尔是法学教授 因此至少在纸面上 是的
A judge, and Hill is a law professor, so, on paper at least, yes.
她说的这事是什么时候?
When is she saying this happened?
10年前
Ten years ago.
10年前?
Ten years ago?
卡罗琳 那时他已担任过三个联邦职位
Carolyn, he’s been approved for three federal jobs in that time.
我知道 – 以前她为什么不提起?
I know that. – Why didn’t she bring it up before?
她现在也没提起
She didn’t bring it up now, okay?
我们和她联♥系♥ 她不想提起
We called her. She didn’t want to talk about it,
她真的不希望这事失控
and she really does not want this getting out.
是 真的 我也希望这样
Yeah, no kidding. That makes two of us.
我不想对这家伙性指控 卡罗琳
I do not want to go after this guy on a sex charge, Carolyn.
这正是我讨厌的东西
This is, this is exactly the kind of thing I hate.
是 我明白
Yeah, I understand.
如果她说谎呢?你明白?
And what if she’s lying? You understand that?
那样你让我泼一堆脏水
Then you got me bringing up a bunch of bogus dirt
在一个联邦法官的过去 我就成了罪魁祸首
on a federal judge’s past, and I’m the bad guy in all this.
她不想提起?
She… She didn’t want to talk about it?
开始时不想
Not at first, no.
好了 我不想强迫一个不情愿的女人
Well, hell, I mean, I don’t want to force a reluctant woman
到这里来说这类事情
to have to come in here and talk about all this stuff.
这是…
This is…
如果我们放过他呢?
What if we just… Can we just let it go?
嗯 嗯…
Well, uh…
我们不是唯一知道此事的人 所以…
We’re not the, the only people who know about this, so…
好吧 联♥系♥联邦调查局
Shit. All right, call the FBI.
让他们了解整个事情
Have them look into the whole thing.
他们得全力对付这件事
They’re gonna run the whole gauntlet on this thing.
他们得赶紧写报告 一周内我们就得为这家伙投票
They got to go quick on that report. We’ve got to vote on this guy in a week.
你没必要这么做
You didn’t need to do this, you know.
我们有探员去和你面谈
We have agents coming to interview you.
是的 但联邦调查局是向白宫报告
Yes, but since the FBI reports to the White House,
我想亲自说我想说的话 这很重要
I thought it was important that I say what I have to say in my own words,
这样才没有误解的可能
so there’s no room for misunderstandings.
克拉伦斯·托马斯法官?
Judge Clarence Thomas?

Yes.
安妮塔希尔?
Anita Hill?
是 请进
Yes. Come in.
克拉伦斯?
Clarence?
出什么事了?
What’s wrong?
一位前员工
A former employee,
我招募和指导过的
someone I hired, mentored,
告诉FBI 我不恰当地和她相处
told the FBI that I was inappropriate with her…
我骚扰她…
that I harassed her…
性骚扰
Sexually.
是否有任何依据?
Is there any basis for it?
没有 她为我工作
None. She worked for me.
我对她和其他为我工作的人没有区别
I treated her the same way I treat other people working for me.
那为什么她这样说?- 我不知道
Then why is she saying this? – I don’t know.
我怎么会知道?
How can I answer that?
有人撒谎 我怎么会知道原因?
Someone lies about me. How am I supposed to know why?
别嚷嚷 我只是问问
Don’t yell. I’m just asking.
对不起 我很烦
I’m sorry. I’m upset.
我不理解
I don’t understand.
也许有人专门把她弄出来
Maybe someone is putting her up to this.
有很多团体
There are a lot of groups out there
不想让你进最高法♥院♥
that can’t stand the thought of you on the Court.
他们不能体面地打击你
They can’t beat you honorably,
因此用这种方式对付你
so they come after you like this,
用谎言和诽谤
with lies and slander.
谢天谢地 联邦调查局在管
But thank goodness the FBI is on it.
他们将找出真♥相♥ 对么?
They will see it for what it is, right?
这是愚蠢的政♥治♥
It’s political nonsense.
好 谢谢
Okay. Thank you.
FBI在管
So the FBI’s looked into it.
结果是 她这么说 他那么说
The upshot is, she says one thing, he says another.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!