杰克 这是你想要的?
Jack, is this who you want to be?
各自为政 乔 没有规则
This is a free-for-all, Joe. There are no rules.
有人对一个女人这样干而毫无约束?
Somebody who goes after a woman like this with no holds barred?
这是街头斗殴 乔
You know this is a street fight, Joe.
如果我朋友在街头斗殴中被攻击
And if a friend of mine is attacked in a street fight,
我会拿起撬棍
I’m gonna pick up a crowbar.
嘿 把这狗屎带走
Hey, take that shit with you.
这么说 我白来了?
So I came all the way here for nothing?
委员会感谢你参与的意愿
The Committee appreciates your willingness to participate.
意愿?我是被传唤
“Willingness”? I was subpoenaed.
是拜登主席希望你作证
While it is Chairman Biden’s desire that you testify,
但由于时间限制 我们发现不大可能安排好
the time constraints we find ourselves under are making that impossible.
时间限制?我已经在这里一天半
“Time constraints”? I’ve been here a day and a half.
所以 主席想收回你的传票
So the chairman would like to withdraw your subpoena.
他会把你的作证改成无辩驳的笔录
He will enter your deposition into the written record unrebutted.
本协议经双方同意
This agreement is by mutual consent.
他想请你签字
He would like you to sign it.
如果我不签呢?
What if I don’t?
他们会用其他证人填补时间 这样他们就确实没时间
They’ll fill the time with other witnesses so they really do run out of time.
安吉拉·赖特不会出庭作证
Angela Wright is not going to testify.
什么?- 不
What? – No!
他们说经双方协议
By mutual agreement, they say.
那是胡扯
That is bullshit.
作证将改成笔录
The deposition is going into the written record,
所以参议员会知道她说什么
so the senators will know what she said.
如果他们去读 但他们不会
If they read it, which they won’t.
他们不会 – 是的
Which they won’t. – Correct.
这是个错误
This was a mistake.
这就是为什么我以前没出来说
This is why I never came forward before.
我们说了有什么好处?
What good have we done?
我朋友的工作受到威胁
My friends’ jobs are being threatened.
我的名誉被毁
My reputation is ruined.
为了什么?- 你明天将作证
For what? – You will testify tomorrow
以正视听
and set the record straight.
我已经说了来这里要说的一切 但他们不想听
I have said everything that I came here to say, but they don’t want to hear it.
他们不在乎 他们只想赢
They don’t care. They only want to win.
应该有些我们能做的事情
There’s got to be something we can do.
应该有些我们能做的事情
There has to be something else that we can do.
我们需要知道名字
We need to get the names.
你们大家都很辛苦
You all have worked very hard.
如果我让你们失望 对不起
And if I’m letting you down, I’m sorry.
打电♥话♥给司法委员会
Call Judiciary.
告诉他们我不去了 我想回家
Tell them I’m done. I want to go home.
女士们 非常感谢你们
Ladies, thank you so much.
我们感谢今天你们的作证
We certainly appreciate your testimony here today.
很显然我们没意识到
Obviously we didn’t recognize or realize
会像今天这么晚
we were going to go quite as late as we did tonight.
参议员 – 但 这…
Senator. – But that’s…
希尔教授和托马斯法官
Both Professor Hill and Judge Thomas
都已决定明天不出席
have decided not to appear tomorrow.
基以此 整个听证结束
Based on that, this entire proceeding is ended.
52票 – 52票 祝贺
Fifty-two votes. – Fifty-two votes! Congratulations!
托马斯的支持者声称 周二下午6点
Thomas’s supporters claim that he has the votes
参议院全体投票中 他会得到确认
to win the confirmation when the full Senate votes at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday.
但现在的情况非常扑朔迷离
But the situation is now so muddled and so confused
在三天混乱无结论的作证后
after three days of lurid, inconclusive testimony
没人能肯定结果
that nobody’s sure of anything,
除了整个过程让人反感
except that the whole process has been distasteful.
嗨
Hey.
你相信谁 他或她?
Who’d you believe, him or her?
她
Her.
主席提醒在公共场合
The chair will remind the galleries
禁止表示同意或不同意的态度
that expressions of approval or disapproval are prohibited.
题目是
The question is
确认佐治亚的克拉伦斯·托马斯
on the confirmation of the nomination of Clarence Thomas of Georgia
担任最高法♥院♥大♥法♥官的任命
to be an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
工作人员将点名表决
The clerk will call the roll.
亚当斯先生 – 反对
Mr. Adams. – No.
阿卡卡先生 – 反对
Mr. Akaka. – No.
鲍克斯先生 – 反对
Mr. Baucus. – No.
本森先生 – 反对
Mr. Bentsen. – No.
拜登先生 – 反对
Mr. Biden. – No.
宾格曼先生 – 反对
Mr. Bingaman. – No.
邦德先生 – 支持
Mr. Bond. – Aye.
嘿
Hey.
欢迎回来
Welcome home.
谢谢
Thank you.
所有的这些全是…
Is this all…
给你的?- 是的
For you? – Yup.
全部
All of it.
写的什么?
What’s it say?
“亲爱的希尔教授
“Dear Professor Hill,
“25年来 我一直是收银员
“For 25 years, I’ve been a cashier.
“全部时间我老板当我像他的个人财产
“All that time, my boss has treated me like his personal property.
“我从没说出来过 甚至没对丈夫说过
“I never said anything, not even to my husband.
“这是真正的可怕和孤独
“It’s been really scary and lonely,
“但这个星期看到你 感觉我在看为我站出来的人
“but watching you this week felt like I was watching someone standing up for me.
“所以 谢谢你
“So thank you.
“真诚的 伊利莎·纳尔逊”
“Sincerely, Elisa Nelson.”
哇
Wow.
韦尔斯通先生 – 反对
Mr. Wellstone. – No.
沃斯先生 – 反对
Mr. Wirth. – No.
沃福德先生 – 反对
Mr. Wofford. – No.
赞成票52 反对票48
The yeas are 52, and the nays are 48.
佐治亚的克拉伦斯·托马斯
The nomination of Clarence Thomas of Georgia
担任最高法♥院♥大♥法♥官的提名
to be Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court
特此确认
is hereby confirmed.
克拉伦斯
Clarence.
是好消息
It’s good news.
不久之前
It was not too long ago
我一个同事称赞我的外表
that a colleague of mine complimented me on my appearance
然后说他要在办公室追我
and then said that he was going to chase me around the House floor.
联邦政♥府♥最后一次对所有员工的调查中
The last time the federal government polled all its workers,
42%的女性报告称她们最近被性骚扰
42% of the women reported they had been recently sexually harassed.
所以哈尔 现在告诉我们发生了什么
So, Hal, tell us what happens now.
现在的问题是1992年竞选中我们有个政♥治♥难题
Well, what happens now is we’ve got a political issue for the 1992 campaign.
2%(脂肪)对牛奶可能不错
Two percent may be good for milk,
但对参议院不是好事
but it ain’t good for the United State Senate.
今年不同的是参选并获胜的
What’s different this year is the record number of women
女性人数创记录
running and winning up and down the ticket.
这次和其他时间不同的一个因素是
One factor there and elsewhere is
对参议院对待安妮塔希尔方式的反弹
backlash over the Senate’s treatment of Anita Hill.
目前妇女的声音在美国不重要
A woman’s voice does not count in America today.
我没有被性骚扰
I have not been sexually harassed,
但我一直非常明显地受歧视
but I have been very obviously discriminated against.
发生在大概20年前
Happened something like 20 years ago.
但你知道那个女人也… – 等一下 山姆
But you’re aware that women also… – Wait. Wait, Sam!
我记得它点点滴滴
I remember every word of it.
如果继续对托马斯和希尔生气
If we stay mad about Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill,
我们决不会记得我们的台词
we’ll never remember our lines.
哦 别介
Oh… Please.
先生 请告诉你的名字
Sir, would you please state your name?
龙东银
Long Dong Silver.
这次听证会盛行的老男人俱乐部规则
The rules of the old boys’ club that prevailed in this hearing
根本不会再有效
are simply not going to work anymore.
参议院司法委员会越来越多样性
The Senate Judiciary Committee is getting diversity,
伊利诺伊的卡罗尔·布劳恩 加州的黛安·范士丹
Carol Moseley Braun of Illinois and California’s Dianne Feinstein
已经指派入会
have been assigned to the panel.
在我有生之年 妇女第一次说
Women for the first time in my lifetime have said
我们是这个社会的参与者 我们打算保持下去
we are players in this society, and we intend to stay that way.