-他怎么了?
– I was hoping he’d be better this year.
– What’s wrong with him?
这是一个我希望不必讲述的故事
This is a story I wish I didn’t have to tell.
几年前,他家拥有这个地方
Years ago, his family owned this place.
出现了财务危机,他们失去了它
There were financial reverses, they lost it.
-那是你买♥♥的时候。-是的
– That’s when you bought it. – Yes.
然后战争来了。他在一个弹♥药♥库站岗
Then the war came along. He was
on sentry duty at an ammunition dump.
-爆♥炸♥了 -真的吗?
– Blew up. – Really?
-他受到极度惊吓 -表面上倒看不出什么
– Left him shell-shocked. – You wouldn’t know to look at him.
不,这就像在看一座宏伟的城♥堡♥,尽管有一座脆弱的塔
No, it’s like looking at
a magnificent castle, with a weak tower.
让他四处游荡不危险吗?
Is it dangerous,having him roaming around?
不,不,不。他是绝对无害的,除了一点小小的精神怪癖
No, no, no. He’s absolutely harmless
except for one small mental quirk.
他认为他仍然拥有这个地方
He thinks he still owns the place.
我让他每年来住一段时间。这似乎能镇定他的神经
I let him come every year to stay
a while. It seems to calm his nerves.
如果他说了什么不寻常的话,就暫且假裝同意吧
If he says something unusual,just play along.
-多么有趣的病历 -他有钱吗?
– What an interesting case history. – Has he any money?
只有政♥府♥养老金。自然,我是量力而行
Only his government pension.Naturally, I do what I can.
哦,莫里斯!我想这就是我如此喜欢你的原因
Oh, Maurice! I think that’s why I’m so fond of you.
你总是想着别人
You’re always thinking of others.
我想心理医生会帮助他
I think a psychiatrist would help him.
毫无疑问。但这不关你的事
Undoubtedly.But it’s none of your affair.
桑迪主修心理学。
她对这个课题上十分着迷
Sandy’s a major in psychology.
She’s quite a fanatic on the subject.
-亲爱的孩子 -莫里斯
– Dear child. – Maurice.
-把这些擦亮,好吗? -是的,先生
– Have these shined, will you? – Yes, sir.
-给我放一盆洗澡水。把我的衣服归置好。-是的,先生
– Draw my bath. Lay out my clothes. – Yes, sir.
-分♥析♥会帮助他 -或者好好聊聊
– Analysis would help him. – Or a good talking to.
他可能受到了惊吓,但并非不可救药
He may be shell-shocked,but he’s not helpless.
好想法!他把你当做他的仆人了!
The idea! Treating you as if you were his servant!
你好
Hello.
你好
Hello.
-塔尔博特先生? -嗯?
– Mr Talbot? – Mmm?
-你拥有这个地方很久了吗?
-相当长的时间
– Have you owned this place very long?
– Quite some time.
-你一定很自豪。 -是的
– You must be very proud of it. – Yes, I am.
不幸的是,自从战争以来,我每年只能来这里一次
Unfortunately, since the war, I’ve only been able to come here once a year.
-这一定是一场可怕的战争。 -它们通常总是可怕的
– It must have been a terrible war. – They usually are.
是…我想找个时间和你谈谈这件事
Yes… I’d like to talk to you about it some time.
-关于什么? -战争
– About what? – The war.
-战争? -是的
– The war? – Yes.
我有一种能帮上忙的感觉
I have a feeling I can help.
我很怀疑
I doubt it.
谈话结束
It’s over.
-你在做什么? -你让我归置…
– What are you doing? – You told me to lay out…
好吧,我来。去打电♥话♥,给那些女人找个地方
All right, I’ll do it. Get on the phone
and find a place for those women.
进来
Come in.
-塔尔博特先生? -是的
– Mr Talbot? – Yes.
-我们现在能谈谈吗? -我…
– I was wondering if we could talk now? – I’m…
拜托,这非常重要
Please, it’s terribly important.
你为什么不坐下?
Why don’t you sit down?
不,不,不是那里。在沙发上
No, no, not there. On the couch.
你什么意思?
What do you mean?
现在试着放松。躺下
Now try and relax. Lie down.
-躺下? -这是为了你好
– Lie down? – It’s for your own good.
那儿
There.
真的,塔尔博特先生。你必须试着放松
Really, Mr Talbot.You must try and relax.
现在。你想从哪里开始?
Now. Where would you like to begin?
我真不明白。你建议去哪里?
I really don’t know.Where would you suggest?
那么…
Well…
让我们从…战争开始
Let’s start with… the war.
这场战争真的…困扰你,不是吗?
That war really… bothers you,doesn’t it?
你曾在陆军里
You were in the Army.
我还以为我在海军
里I thought I was in the Navy.
不,你在陆军里
No, you were in the Army.
站岗…在弹♥药♥库
Standing sentry duty…at an ammunition dump
爆♥炸♥了
that blew up.
你还记得吗?
Do you remember that?
我只记得在鱼雷艇上当军官
All I remember is being officer in a PT boat.
你没看到吗?
那是你的潜意识在用幻想代替事实
Don’t you see? That’s your subconscious substituting fantasy for fact.
看…
Look…
所以你认为你拥有这个地方
That’s why you think you own this place.
不是吗?
Don’t I?
不,真的,塔尔博特先生。你必须面对现实
No. Really, Mr Talbot. You must face reality.
你的家庭失去了这所房♥子,克拉威尔先生买♥♥下了它
Your family lost this house,Mr Clavell bought it,
把它变成了酒店
turned it into a hotel.
-酒店? -嗯
– A hotel? – Mm-hm.
-甜蜜的景色? -没错
– La Dolce Vista? – That’s right.
-人们付钱给他以便住下? -是的
– People pay him to stay here? – Yes.
这是一家酒店
It’s a hotel.
你不知道你让我有多开心。我知道我能帮助你
You don’t know how happy you’ve made me. I knew I could help you.
哦,你有
Oh, you have.
突然间,所有的碎片都拼凑到一起
Suddenly, all the pieces have fallen into place.
你康复了,克拉威尔先生会很高兴的
Mr Clavell will be so thrilled you’ve recovered.
-我去告诉他。 -不不不
– I’ll go tell him. – No, no, no.
让我跟他说
Let me tell him.
你可以告诉玛丽亚停止祈祷
You can tell Maria to stop praying.
她的朋友没能挺过危机
Her friend didn’t survive the crisis.
不好意思。我有一些事情。当管家的日子远未结束
Excuse me. I have some duties.A major-domo’s day is never done.
你的日子
Yours is.
不要把自己当成管家
Don’t think of yourself as a major-domo.
更像是弹♥药♥库的哨兵
More like a sentry at an ammunition dump
就要爆♥炸♥了
that’s about to blow up.
-你的房♥间还是我的? -你的
– Your room or mine? – Yours.
-你是个小偷 -是的,先生
– You’re a thief. – Yes, sir.
-还是个骗子 -是的,先生
– And a liar. – Yes, sir.
完全不可信
Completely untrustworthy.
小偷和骗子,是的。但不是不可信
A thief and a liar, yes.But not untrustworthy.
我认为现在不是讨论这件事的时候
I don’t think this is the time to talk the matter out.
当你充满消极想法的时候不要讨论
Not while you’re bristling with negative thoughts.
我甚至还没开骂呢
I haven’t even begun to bristle.
-把我的房♥子变成酒店。
-你说“我的房♥子”多容易
– Turning my house into a hotel.
– How easy for you to say “my house”.
-你从来不在这里 -这有什么关系?
– You’re never here. – What’s that to do with it?
当她的窗户被卡住时,你在乎吗?
不,你在纽约
When her windows are stuck, do you care?
No, you’re in New York.
我,莫里斯,必须把它们松开
I, Maurice, have to unstick them.
在寒冷的夜晚,当她的暖气片爆震时,你在这里吗?
On a cold night when her radiators knock, are you here?
不,我得给它们加热
No, I have to warm them up.
当她的水管坏了,谁来帮她疏通?莫里斯
And when her plumbing goes out,
who’s there to unclog her? Maurice.
你就像一个一年只和妻子在一起一个月的丈夫
You’re like a husband who’s only
with his wife one month a year.
一年的其它时间里和她在一起的男人值得称赞
The man who’s with her the rest of the year deserves the credit.
我不在乎你把我妻子变成什么样
Well, I don’t care for what you’ve turned my wife into.
-我拿利润做了什么? -好问题
– What have I done with the profit? – Good question.
刷油漆,建一堵新的花♥园♥墙,一个喷泉,一个露台
Painted her. Put in a new garden wall,a fountain, a patio.
-我甚至补充了酒窖。 -还有你的钱包
– I even replenished the wine cellar. – And your wallet.
任何个人利益都是次要的
Any personal gain was of secondary importance.
你每年来这里时感激的微笑
Your smile of appreciation when you came here every year.
那是我的真实…我真正的奖励
That was my real… my real reward.
告诉你的客人给自己找另一家酒店
Tell your guests to find themselves another hotel.
你和你的同伙,收拾行李明早离开
You and your accomplices,pack your bags and leave in the morning.
先生,我希望你能考虑一下这个决定
Sir, I wish you’d sleep on that decision.
明天,我们可能都会为这件事大笑
Tomorrow, we’ll probably both laugh about this matter.
我们可能都在笑。但不在一个房♥子里
We might both be laughing.But not in the same house.
先生,我可以请你最后帮一个忙吗?
Sir, may I please ask one last favour?
玛格丽特,那位监护人。她带着旅行团来已经有一段时间了
Margaret, the chaperone. She’s been
coming with tours for some time.
我们变得相当亲密,甚至为未来制定了计划
We’ve become rather close,even made plans for the future.