事实证明它的发音确实不太好记
Turned out to be a really hard word to pronounce to people.
你说你有一个乐队
You say you’re in a band.
“乐队名是啥” “酷玩”
“What’s the band called?” Coldplay.
“啥 金刀 冷盘[均为谐音]”
“What Goldblade? Cold Cut?”
-确实不好记 -金混
– It’s really hard. – Gold Blend.
我现在还是觉得
I still don’t feel that
盖伊
这个名字不太适合我们
we’ve quite got the name right,
但现在要换好像也来不及了
but I think we might be a bit late to change it.
每次演出都像是一次里程碑
Every show seemed like a milestone really.
威尔
我现在还记得那种感觉 屋子里的喧闹声
I remember the feeling and the buzz in these rooms,
闷热的空气 烟味 潮湿的地板
the sweat dripping off the ceiling, smoke, and the sticky floors.
这就是人们所说的三流巡演酒吧
The toilet circuit, as it’s known,
盖伊
我们开始意识到 未来的路并不好走
that kind of made us realize, this is gonna be hard work.
你需要花费大量的时间和精力
You do have to put the time and effort into it.
焦点酒吧
我们都做好了要为此长♥期♥奋斗的准备
We were quite prepared to do that for as long as it took,
威尔
做好了被贪婪无♥耻♥的卡姆登主办方骗钱
just carrying on and getting skanked
月桂树酒吧
1998年3月
也要继续下去的准备
by money-grabbing, shady Camden promoters.
我觉得我内心深处
I think in the back of my head,
菲尔
一直有个声音
I must’ve been thinking,
“我想跟他们一起把乐队发展起来”
“Yeah, I’d like to be involved in this.”
我记得克里斯跟我讲
And then I remember Chris telling me
他们是怎么被骗的
how they were getting ripped off,
我就想 “我来帮乐队规划的话会更好”
and I thought, “Maybe I could do a better job.”
他从大学退学 来当我们的经纪人
He dropped out of university to come and manage us,
威尔
非常无私之举
which was an extraordinarily selfless move.
然后事情进入了下一阶段
Then it went to the next level.
在摇滚乐巢穴深处
Deep in the lair of rock and roll,
我们找到了威尔·查平
we find Mr. Will Champion.
-有点紧张吗 -有点
– Bit nervous? – Uh, little bit.
-哈维在哪 -在哪
– Where’s the Harvey character? – Where?
从加入乐队开始
I think I took it pretty seriously
菲尔
我对这份工作就十分认真
from the moment I came on board.
我有本书 我记得叫《如何管理一个乐队》
I had a book, I remember called “How to Manage a Band.”
我有一个超长清单 上面是我要接触的人
I had the longest list of people to approach,
但是没人愿意接我电♥话♥
but no one wanted to take my call
我对自己非常失望
and I was quite down on myself.
我认为督促我们不断前进的是越来越好的歌♥
I think what kept us going was the songs kept getting better,
1998年五月
卡姆登 丁沃尔斯
越来越好的演出
the shows kept getting better.
我认为克里斯一直对我们有着足够的信心
I think Chris always had enough self-belief for all of us,
你明白我的意思吗
you know what I mean?
在猎鹰酒吧史蒂夫·拉马克第一次来看我们演出
The Falcon was the first time that Steve Lamacq came.
卡姆登猎鹰酒吧
1998年十月
威尔
操 史蒂夫·拉马克在观众席里 我们很吃惊
Fuck me. Steve Lamacq’s in the audience, so we’re, like, wow.
他就像是英国广播界的尤达大♥师♥
He’s like the Yoda of radio in Britain.
强尼
他是最先来看我们演出的
He came to us before anybody else.
克里斯
我不敢相信 我开始冒汗
I couldn’t believe it. I started sweating.
史蒂夫·拉马克 史蒂夫·拉马克
Steve Lamacq, Steve Lamacq.
我记得拉马克给我打电♥话♥
I remember Lamacq calling me.
菲尔
“菲尔 这是我第一次邀请
“Phil, this is the first time I’ve ever offered
史蒂夫·拉马克
BBC广播一台
未签约的艺人上广播一台”
a Radio 1 evening session to an unsigned act.”
“你们准备好了吗”
“Are you guys up for it?”
-不好意思 伙计 谢谢 -谢谢
– Sorry, mate, thank you. – Cheers.
被一些要签名的人搭讪了
Got accosted by some autograph hunters.
他们不是来要我们的签名的
They weren’t looking for our autograph.
他们是来找布莱恩·费瑞的
They were looking for Bryan Ferry’s.
显然 他住在这附近
Apparently, he lives round here.
酷玩乐队 “焦虑”乐队
“傻乎乎”歌♥手
这里是广播一台的拉马克直播现场
It’s Lamacq Live from Radio 1,
英国广播公♥司♥麦达谷演播室
我们现在要去麦达谷演播室
and we can go across now to our Maida Vale studios.
你们好 酷玩乐队
Hello, Coldplay?
-你好 史蒂夫 -好的 史蒂夫
– Hello, Steve. – All right, Steve.
BBC访客通行证
你们已经发行了一张单曲 是吗
You had a single out, didn’t you?
我都不知道你们已经发了一张唱片
I didn’t even know you had a record out.
我们在你文件架上放了一张
We put it in your pigeonhole.
你没听 你这个混♥蛋♥
You didn’t listen to it, you bastard.
我是不会那么说的
I’m not gonna say that.
你们要制♥作♥的第一首歌♥是什么
What’s the first song you’re gonna do?
那首歌♥叫《Bigger Stronger》
We’re gonna do a song called “Bigger Stronger”,
酷玩航♥班♥
这是我们五月份的单曲
which was our single in May.
它可能会被人们传唱
It might’ve passed people by.
广播一台直播 现在是酷玩乐队
All right, it’s Coldplay then, live on Radio 1.
谢谢 史蒂夫
Thank you, Steve.
《Bigger Stronger》
*我想变得更强更壮*
*I wanna be bigger, stronger*
*开一辆快车*
*Drive a fast car*
*让我瞬间到达想去的地方*
*To take me anywhere in seconds*
那是一段很紧张的时期
It was a really intense period of time
盖伊
因为我们坚决不许失败
because we were so determined to not fail.
在有所作为之前我们决不放弃
We just weren’t gonna give up until we got somewhere
我们要制♥作♥一张专辑 拿到唱片合约
and made an album and got a record deal.
我敢说这些歌♥ 真的很棒
I could tell the songs… they were real songs,
威尔
然后我想
and I just thought,
“这会成为我生活的一部分”
“Okay, this could be something that becomes part of my life.”
几周之后 它就成为我生活的全部了
And then within a few weeks, it was everything.
我在我父母家的卫生间里
I was in the bathroom in my mum and dad’s house,
克里斯
读着《新音乐快递》
reading the NME.
上面写着”1999年的20个新星乐队”
It said “20 New Bands for 1999”.
99年的20个新星乐队
毫无疑问有缪斯乐队 埃尔伯乐队
And sure enough there was Muse, Elbow,
同志老爹乐队 贝拉特里克斯乐队
Gay Dad, Bellatrix,
当我读到酷玩乐队时我昏过去了
and then it came to Coldplay and I fainted, basically.
是的 克里斯在厕所昏过去了
Yeah, Chris fell off the toilet.
威尔
我当时就像《回到未来》的布朗博士
I basically had a Doc Brown from Back to the Future moment.
克里斯
然后我打电♥话♥给威尔 强尼和盖伊
And I called Will, I called Jon, I called Guy.
我说 “你们看了这个了吗”
I was like, “Have you seen this?”
《Bigger Stronger》是其开门砖
It said, “Bigger Stronger” was their no-key debut release.
“预期它的拷贝版在圣诞节能抵些贷款”
“Expect copies of it to be worth a small mortgage come Christmas.”
我的天啊
Fucking hell, man.
那段话彻底改变了我们的生活
One paragraph changed our entire lives.
啄木鸟酒吧
在那期杂♥志♥发行后的演出
The next show after that NME tip…
1999年一月
菲尔
牛门酒吧
我只记得满屋子都是人
I just remember it being rammed wall-to-wall.
不知道你们有没有读到关于我们的报道
之后一切都进展很快
Things happened really quick after that.
很多不同的唱片公♥司♥
Loads of different record companies,
那些曾经不理我的公♥司♥
the ones that had stonewalled me,
都回过头来说
they all came back and said,
“我们又找到你们的录音样带了”
“Oh, found your demo again.”
太棒了
It was amazing.
1999年四月15号♥
Yeah, April 15, 1999,
克里斯
我们签约了 对吧 在特拉法加广场
we signed, didn’t we, in Trafalgar Square.
菲尔
我们收到了很多邀请
We got loads of offers,
但我们一直想去帕洛风唱片公♥司♥
but it was always gonna be Parlophone,
甲壳虫乐队的家
the home of the Beatles.
他们还有电台司令乐队 超级小草乐队
And they had Radiohead, they had Supergrass.
我记得很清楚
I remember it very well,
威尔

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!