Everybody goes to every game.
篮球是那帮孩子生命中仅有的
Basketball is the only thing that these boys have got.
我们能让卡特就这样把他们毁了吗?
Are we gonna let Carter come in here and take that away from them?
– 不能 – 没门儿
– No! – l don’t think so.
不可能的
Not gonna happen.
– 我有个提议 – 你说,沃尔特先生
– l’d like to make a motion. – Yes, Mr. Walters?
我提议把卡特先生革除篮球教练一职
l move that we remove Mr. Carter as head basketball coach.
肃静,肃静
Order, please. Order.
委员会没有权力
This board does not have the authority
去开除员工
to terminate employment of a staff position.
那我提议取消禁球,让他们打球
Then l move we end the lockout and let the kids play.
我也同意
l second the motion.
– 那好 – 我来说一句
– Okay. – lf l may?
好的,卡特先生
Yes, Mr. Carter.
你们需要考虑你们这样做
You really need to consider the message
会给那些孩子们灌输一种什么样的信息
that you’re sending these boys.
这也是我们社会对职业运动员灌输的信息
lt’s the same message that we as a culture send to our pro athletes,
[指辛普森杀妻案之类的]
就是他们可以不守纪律,高于法律
which is that they are above the law.
我所要告诉这些孩子们的是遵守纪律才能有所作为
Now, l’m trying to teach these boys the discipline that will inform their lives
将来才会有更多的谋生机会
and give them choices.
如果你们对十五到十七岁的孩子们说
lf you endorse the fact that 1 5-, 1 6- and 1 7-year-olds
你们可以不用遵守纪律,可以违反合同
don’t have to honor the simple rules of a basketball contract,
那你们说他们还需要多久就会犯法呢?
how long do you think it’ll be before they’re out there breaking laws?
三十年前,我代表里士满打过篮球
Now, l played basketball at Richmond 30 years ago.
那个时候就是这样儿
lt was the same thing then.
我的队友有些最后坐牢
Some of my teammates ended up in prison.
[被打死的]
有些死了
Some of them ended up dead.
我之所以当了这个教练,我就是想改革
l took this job because l wanted to effect change
为了一队出色的小伙子而改革
in a special group of young men,
我的教法是我认为唯一有效的教法
and this is the only way l know how to do that.
如果你们今天要以投票来取消禁球
lf you vote to end the lockout,
你们也不用开除我了,我不干了
you won’t have to terminate me. l’ll quit.
好
Good.
谢谢你,卡特先生
Thank you, Mr. Carter.
这个委员会共有五名委员
The board now recognizes five voting members.
这次会议,我们也会接受加里森校长的投票
ln this instance, we will be accepting the vote of Principal Garrison as well.
现在,我让这些委员投票决定
Now, l put to those members the vote on whether or not
是否取消禁球
to end the lockout.
同意取消禁球的委员
All those in favor of ending the lockout
叫得名时请举手
will raise their right hand when called upon.
[不同意取消禁球]
我先投,不举手
l will vote first by not raising my hand.
加里森校长
Principal Garrison?
夭了丽·沃克
Valerie Walker.
楚伴什
Benson Chiu.
家长代表,希匹沓先生
Parent rep, Mr. Cepeda.
钮亘女士
And Ms. Nyugen.
– 好 – 谢谢
– Yes. – Thank you.
投票结果四比二,委员会决定取消禁球
The lockout ends with a vote of 4 to 2.
如果没有其他事,此次会议结束
lf there’s no other business, this board meeting is adjourned.
谢谢大家光临
Thank you all for coming.
卡特先生
Mr. Carter.
你一定有这样做么?
Are you sure you wanna do this?
我们之间关系一直不是很好
Look, l know we haven’t always seen eye to eye,
但我能看出你是为了这些孩子好,不过方法不对…
but you’ve done such a great job with these boys, it seems wrong to just…
我不想跟你争,我为这些孩子所做的
Look. No offense, ma’am, but all the work l did with those boys
取消禁球时全被否定了
was negated when they ended the lockout.
我不这样认为,我
l don’t think that’s true, l…
委员会的决定发出的强有力的信息
The board sent the message loud and clear.
赢球要比毕业
Winning basketball games is more important
上大学更为重要
than graduating from high school and going to college.
对不起,我不能支持这种观念
l’m sorry, l just can’t support that message.
先生,即使他们剪断门上的铁链,但我们还是不会打球
Sir, they can cut the chain off the door, but they can’t make us play.
先生,我们已经决定了,这件事有始就要有终
We’ve decided we’re gonna finish what you started, sir.
你快走吧,教练
Yeah, so leave us be, coach.
我们还有好多要学,先生
We got shit to do, sir.
我们最怕的不是别人看不起我们?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
我最怕的是我们的前途无量
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
我们真正怕的是我们光明的一面,不是我们阴暗的一面
lt is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
随波逐流者一世徒劳
Your playing small does not serve the world.
没有努力就不会有成就
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
你身边的人也会因此为你自豪
so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.
我们都是前途无量
We were all meant to shine, as children do.
不光是我们,所有人都一样
lt’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone.
让我们发挥潜能
And as we let our own light shine,
我们身边的人自然而然也会效仿
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
让我们自己从恐惧中解脱出来
As we are liberated from our own fear,
我们的行为也能让他人解脱
our presence automatically liberates others.
先生,我想说谢谢您
Sir, l just wanna say thank you.
你拯救了我
You saved my life.
谢谢你们,先生们
Thank you, sirs.
你们所有的人
All of you.
学习进程报告
Academic-progress reports, young men.
简直是…
These things are…
…难以置信
…unbelievable.
我知道你们都尽力了
l know you’ve been trying.
我所能说的就是
l guess there’s only one way to say this.
先生们,我们通过了,大家来打球!
Gentlemen, we’ve reached our goal. Let’s play ball.
里士啥?里士满!
Rich what? Richmond!
里士啥?里士满!
Rich what? Richmond!
里士啥?里士满!
Rich what? Richmond!
回底线,回去,回去
Hustle back. Get back, get back.
准备好,沃姆,准备好
Set it, Worm. Set it.
看好底线
Watch baseline.
– 投篮 – 投篮,进啊
– Take it. – Take it, come on.
– 棒啊! – 找人,找人
– Yes! – Find a man. Find a man.
传球,传球
Swing it, swing it.
上啊,上啊,上啊
Go, go, go.
上啊,上啊
Go, go.
好样的!
Come on!
里士满加油!
Go Richmond!
控球,控球
Hold the ball, hold the ball!
九、八、七、六…
Nine, eight, seven, six,
五、四、三、二、一
five, four, three, two, one,
赢喽!
see you!
– 打得好,教练 – 打得好
– Great game, coach. – Good game.
里士满队禁球归来,又战又胜
Richmond returns from their lockout and keeps their streak alive
连赢十七场
at 1 7 games.
一个去年才赢四场比赛的队伍,这就像灰姑娘的故事
A team that won only four games last year is now a Cinderella team
一定有人想过,也许有可能
that has to be thinking that there’s a chance
[最后的舞会:比喻成功]
被邀请到最后的舞会
of getting the phone call to come to the dance.
里士满能被邀请到全州大赛么?
ls Richmond headed for the state tournament?
你去公园还要玩什么?
So, what else y’all gonna do at the park when you go?
– 跷跷板 – 跷跷板?
– Seesaw. – Seesaw?
– 你去玩跷跷板 – 对啊
– You’re gonna seesaw? – Yeah.
– 谁来推你呢? – 我妈妈来推
– Who’s gonna push you? – My mommy’s gonna push me.
是吗?
Yeah?
好棒,我真希望我也能去
That’s good. l wish l could go with you.
– 我们走吧,宝贝儿 – 一会儿见,好吗?
– Come on, baby. – But l’ll see you later, okay?
– 再见 – 再见
– Bye. – Bye.
你还好吧?
How you been?
好啊
Good.
你气色不错
You look good.
谢谢,你看起来也不错
Thank you. So do you.
你还…
Considering.
被禁球大家都像疯了一样
You know, everything’s been crazy, with the lockout.
会越来越好的
Yeah, it’ll be all right.
那是一定的
For sure.
我们找个地方坐坐吧?
Can we sit down somewhere?
我考虑了一下我的未来