? Most of… ?
? The time ?
? And so it is ?
? The shorter story ?
? No love no glory ?
? No hero in her sky ?
? I can’t take my eyes off you ?
? I can’t take my eyes off you ?
? I can’t take my eyes off you ?
? I can’t take my eyes off you ?
? I can’t take my eyes off you ?
? I can’t take my eyes… ?
? And so it is ?
? Just like you said it should be ?
? We’ll both forget the breeze ?
? Most of the time ?
? I can’t take my mind off you ?
? I can’t take my mind off you ?
? I can’t take my mind off you ?
你好啊 陌生人
Hello, stranger.
? I can’t take my mind off you ?
? I can’t take my mind off you ?
? I can’t take my mind… ?
抱歉 我正在找香烟
Sorry. Looking for a cigarette.
我戒了
I’ve given up.
谢谢
Thank you.
-要去哪儿么 -去上班
– Got to be somewhere? – Work.
不喜欢我的三明治么
You didn’t fancy my sandwiches?
-我不吃鱼 -为什么
– Don’t eat fish. – Why not?
-鱼在海里小便
Fish piss in the sea.
-孩子们也这么干啊 -我也不吃小孩
– So do children. – Don’t eat children, either.
你干什么工作的
What’s your work?
某种意义上的新闻工作者
I’m sort of a journalist.
-哪种 -我写讣告的
– What sort? – I write obituaries.
我们会等很久么
Are we in for a long wait?
她刚来的时候才21岁
She was 21 when she came in.
疼么
Does it hurt?
死不了
I’ll live.
想把腿抬起来么
Do you want me to put your leg up?
好的 谢谢
Yes, please.
谁替你切掉的面包皮
Who cut off your crusts?
我自己
Me.
你妈妈在你小时候给你切过吗
Did your mother cut off your crusts when you were a little boy?
-是啊 相信她做过 -你该尝尝那是什么味
– Yes, I believe she did. – You should eat your crusts.
你该戒烟
You should stop smoking.
我晕了多长时间
How long was I out?
-大约10秒钟 -然后呢
– About 10 seconds. – Then what?
你醒过来 盯着我
You came to. You focused on me.
你说 你好 陌生人
You said, “Hello, stranger.”
我真淫♥荡♥
What a floozy.
计程车司机手画十字 说 谢天谢地 我还以为我杀了她
The cabbie crossed himself, he went, “Thank fuck. I thought I’d killed her.”
我说 让我们把她送医院去吧 他犹豫了一下
I said, “Let’s get her to a hospital.” He hesitated.
我想他是在思量要是有什么纸张需要签字 他就要担责任了
I think he thought there’d be paperwork and he’d be held responsible.
于是我冷笑着对他说 请你把她送到医院去就好了
So I said with a slight sneer, “Please just drop us at the hospital.”
给我看看你冷笑的样子
Show me the sneer.
真好玩 你个小怪物
Very good, buster.
谢谢
Thank you.
-我告诉过你我戒了 -在多努把力吧
– I told you, I’ve given up. – Try harder.
你住这儿么
You live here?
我刚从纽约来的
Just arrived from New York.
来度假的
Taking a vacation?
我是来探险的
I’m on an expedition.
你的行李呢
Where’s your baggage?
-你住哪 -我是个流浪汉
– Where are you staying? – I’m a waif.
一辆红色公共汽车
A red bus.
警♥察♥或者叫鲍比(英国俚语中的警♥察♥)
Policeman or “bobby”
看到那独特的头盔了么
Observe the distinctive helmet.
圣保罗大教堂 请注意看著名的穹顶
Saint Paul’s Cathedral. Please note the famous dome.
-这真是一次奇妙的旅行 -一般的游客可见识不到这样的伦敦
– This is a truly magnificent tour. – It’s the London tourists never get to see.
-这是什么 -我不清楚
– What’s this? – I’ve no idea.
这些人为救其他人而献出了自己的生命
They’re all people who died saving the lives of others.
我以前来过这
I’ve been here before.
20年前 我来过这
Twenty years ago, we came here.
我母亲死了 我父亲和我在她死的那天来过这
My mother’s dead. My father and I came here the afternoon she died.
她是个烟枪 最后在医院过世的
She was a smoker. She died in the hospital, actually.
-你父亲还活着么 -还健在
– ls your father still alive? – Hanging on.
他现在在家里
He’s in a home.
-你上班要迟到了 -你是在赶我走吗
– You’re late for work. – You saying you want me to go?
我是说你上班要迟到了
I’m saying you’re late for work.
你为什么想起以写讣告为职的
How did you end up writing obituaries?
我梦想当一个作家 但我没那谈吐
Well, I had dreams of being a writer, but I had no voice.
我的意思是 我没天赋
What am I saying? I had no talent.
所以我写讣告 那是新闻业的西伯利亚地区
So I ended up in obituaries, which is the Siberia of journalism.
给我讲讲你怎么工作的 我想想象你在西伯利亚的情形
Tell me what you do. I want to imagine you in Siberia.
真的
Really?
我们叫它”讣告页”
We call it “the obits page.”
组里有3个人 我 格雷曼和哈里
There’s three of us: me, Graham, and Harry.
当我工作时 没有出错的话… 你真想知道么
When I get to work, without fail… Are you sure you want to know?
如果有某个大人物死了 我们就去”深度冷藏”去查…
Well, if someone important died, we go to the “deep freeze”…
是个电脑文件的名字…
which is a computer file…
里面是所有的讣告 可以找到关于死去的人的信息
with all the obituaries, and we find the dead person’s life.
人们在世的时候就有人给他们写讣告
People’s obituaries are written while they’re still alive?
有些是
Some people’s.
然后哈里 我们的编辑 来决定哪个是本版的头条
Then Harry, he’s the editor, decides who we’ll lead with.
然后我们打电♥话♥ 核对实情
Then we make calls, check facts.
在6点钟 我们围坐在电脑前 看第二天要出版的版面…
At 6:00, we stand around the computer and look at the next day’s page…
做最后的修改
and make final changes.
加点温婉的词儿 以此自娱自乐
Add a few euphemisms for our own amusement.
例如
Such as?
“他是个欢宴的人”是指他酗酒
“He was a convivial fellow.” Meaning he was an alcoholic.
“他珍视自己的隐私”意思是 他是同性恋
“He valued his privacy.” Gay.
“他享受自己的隐私” 是说他是个愤怒的”女王”
“He enjoyed his privacy.” Raging queen.
那要是形容我 你要用什么温婉的词儿
What would my euphemism be?
-“她毫无戒心” -那可不是个温婉的词儿
– “She was disarming.” – That’s not a euphemism.
这的确是
Yes, it is.
-你在纽约是干什么的 -你知道的
– What were you doing in New York? – You know.
呃 不 我不知道 怎么 你在上学吗
Well, no, I don’t. What, were you studying?
跳脱衣舞的
Stripping.
看你那双小眼睛
Look at your little eyes.
我看不见自己的眼睛
I can’t see my little eyes.
你为什么离开纽约
Why did you leave?
和男性有矛盾
Problems with a male.
-男朋友 -某种意义上的
– Boyfriend? – Kind of.
那你就离开他 到这来了
And you left him, just like that?
这是离开的唯一方法 “我不再爱你了 再见”
It’s the only way to leave. “l don’t love you anymore. Goodbye.”
-假如你还爱他呢 -就不离开
– Supposing you do still love them? – You don’t leave.
-你从没离开过一个你还爱的人 -没有
– You’ve never left somebody you still love? – No.
这就是我
This is me.
祝你玩得愉快
Enjoy your stay.
记得我们这里车辆是从右边来的
Please remember our traffic tends to come from the right.
再见
Bye.
你有女朋友
Do you have a girlfriend?
是的 露丝
Yeah. Ruth.
她叫露丝 是个语言学家
She’s called Ruth. She’s a linguist.
-你叫什么 -爱丽丝
– What’s your name? – Alice.
我叫爱丽丝·艾伦斯
My name is Alice Ayres.
很好
Good.
我要换胶卷 你不赶时间吧
I’m just gonna change the film. Are you okay for time?
-介意我吸烟么 -如果你非要吸的话
– Do you mind if I smoke? – lf you must.
-并不那么需要 -那就别吸
– I don’t have to. – Then don’t.
我喜欢你的书
I liked your book.
谢谢
Thanks.
-什么时候出版 -明年 你怎么会读过的
– When’s it published? – Next year. How come you’ve read it?
你的出版商寄给我初稿 我昨晚读了
Your publisher sent me a manuscript. I read it last night.
让我看到了4点钟
You kept me up till 4:00.
我受宠若惊了
I’m flattered.
女主人公是根据你身边的人写的吗
Is your heroine based on someone you know?
对 她叫爱丽丝
Yes. She’s someone called Alice.
她对你偷走她的生活怎么看
How does she feel about you stealing her life?
是”借”走她的生活
Borrowing her life.
我把那本书题献给她 她很开心
I’m dedicating the book to her. She’s pleased.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!