of being afraid.
不想再担惊受怕
Yet, Caesar would not permit it.
恐怕凯撒不会答应
But I will never
但我永远
be free of you.
忘不了你
From the first instant I saw you
当你乘坐大石兽
entering Rome on that monstrous stone beast,
抵达罗马时
shining in the sun,
石兽在太阳下闪耀
like a little gold toy.
像金色的小玩具
How I envied Caesar.
我很忌妒凯撒
Went suddenly sick with it.
我突然生病了
Not his conquests or his triumphs.
不是他的战功 不是他的头衔
Not his titles or the roaring of the mob.
不是群众的欢呼
I envied him you.
而是因为你而妒忌他
When we first met in Rome, I remembered you.
第一次在罗马见到你 我就记得你
I wondered that I could ever have forgotten.
并觉得永世难忘
Remembered me?
难忘我
Years ago, when you were a young cavalry officer,
多年前 你还是个骑兵军宫的时候
stationed at the palace in Alexandria under that Roman general.
驻守在亚历山大宫殿旁 指挥官是个胖将军
What was his name?
他叫什么名字
Gabinius.
加比尼尔斯
I was 12 years old, and I loved you.
我当时十二岁 我已经爱上你了
Nonsense. It’s true.
胡说 真的
Lovers always want so much never to have loved before.
相恋之人总希望未曾爱过
It’s possible, you know.
很可能如此
It becomes a game. Who loved whom first?
揣测谁先爱谁 便成了游戏
I did.
我就猜过
If you noticed me at all then, you were probably terrified of me.
当初若见过我 你一定很怕我
With good reason. Everybody knows Romans cut up little children
大家说罗马人会杀小孩
and feed them to their horses.
并拿来喂马
We’ll make this our beginning.
我们把这次当是一个开始
Beginning with tonight,
从今夜起
you must never envy Caesar,
你不能再忌妒凯撒
or anyone, anything again.
或任何人 任何事
After all,
毕竟
this is nothing new.
这不是新闻
For so many years,
多年以来
Antony has fed upon the crumbs
安东尼一直是
that fell from Julius Caesar’s table.
朱利斯·凯撒的爪牙
I say,
我认为
they are deserving of each other.
干柴烈火
Let him stay in Egypt.
就让他们留在埃及
Let him fritter away his life,
虚耗生命好了
but not the possessions and the empire of the Roman people!
但罗马人的财产和政♥府♥却不能虚耗
The Roman people!
罗马人
The Roman people. What are glory and possessions to them?
什么是罗马人的荣耀与财产
Is their Antony content?
只要安东尼高兴
Then so are they.
他们就高兴
Does their Antony sweep their empire
安东尼有没有将帝国
under Cleopatra’s bed?
置于克里奥帕特拉床下
His adoring Romans sigh
爱戴他的罗马人只会叹口气
and remain content.
还是随他高兴
Let him stay however distant for however long
无论距离多远
with never a thought of them.
多久没有想起他们
The Roman people hold him close to their hearts.
罗马人还是敬爱他
Distant?

Perhaps from Rome but not from Caesar, I think.
或许离罗马很远
Nor from Caesar’s son.
但离凯撒及凯撒之子不远
Germanicus, do you speak of me?
朱曼尼卡斯 你说我吗
No, I speak of Caesar.
不 我是说凯撒
I am Caesar.
我也是凯撒
Only while Antony remains
只有当安东尼
distant from Rome.
远离罗马时
Antony!
安东尼
Stay not too long in Alexandria!
不会在亚历山大逗留太久
Germanicus
朱曼尼卡斯
stay not too long in Rome.
不会在罗马逗留太久
How much is known to Antony?
此事安东尼知道多少
All of it and more.
都知道 或许更多
I’ve written him regularly. Letters, dispatches by personal messenger.
我定期以书面通知他状况
And what has he answered?
他怎么回答
He wrote he was no longer interested in the matters I described.
他回答说他对政♥治♥不再有兴趣
That he would not return to Rome.
他也不想回罗马
That he understood quite clearly what was at stake, what he would lose.
他对可能的损失相当清楚
But that he would not leave you.
但他不愿意离开你
Let’s try the goat.
试试山羊的
Let’s have that goat again. There. Not too much.
好啦 再试一次山羊的 这边 不要太多
There.
这边
The milk of a cow,
牛奶
of a goat and of an ass. Which is best for softening the beard?
羊奶 驴奶 哪一种最能软化胡须
Is it true Octavian shaves, but once a week?
屋大维一星期才刮一次胡子 是真的吗
Even then, he has merely to face the wind and let the fuzz blow away.
即使如此 一阵风就吹光他的汗毛
You knew, didn’t you, Germanicus was here from Rome?
你知道朱曼尼卡斯从罗马来了吗
Yes.
知道
Have you strong feelings about beards?
你喜欢胡须吗
I had one. Bright red.
我年轻时留过胡子 亮红色的
Why haven’t you seen him?
你为何不见他
When you go
你一去
must it be for very long?
要很久吗
I must take some of these with me. They don’t have them.
我要带些海绵回去 他们那没有
At least, they didn’t when I was last
以前我在罗马时
in Rome.
没这东西
While they were digging the foundation of my tomb
他们为我挖陵寝时
the workers found an old wall.
找到一面古墙
Someone had scratched on it hundreds of years ago.
有些有几百年的文字
“You were not here last night, and I could not sleep.
你昨晚没来 我无法入睡
Will you be here tonight?”
今晚你会来吗
Do you suppose they ever met again?
你想他们有否再见面
Everything that I shall want to hold
目前我想捉住的 看到的
or look upon or have or be
拥有的 为之存在的
is here now with you.
只有与你同在这里
I must not be sorry for myself.
我也不想对不起自己
Queens are sometimes no better at that than kings, or even princes.
对此事 女王并不比国王或王子占优势
It doesn’t seem fair.
这不公平
What I feel I should have felt long ago when I was very young.
现在的感觉 我早在
When I could say to myself that this was how love was
年轻时感受过
and how it would be.
当时我想爱就该是这样
But to have waited so long, to know so suddenly,
但在长久的等待后 忽然觉悟
this late,
在这么久以后
how it hurts. How love can stab the heart.
爱会伤人 锥心之痛
Be careful with Octavian.
小心屋大维
Let him be careful with me.
他该小心我
The Romans want no war between the two of you.
罗马不希望你俩开战
In any case, you are not ready yet.
再说 你还未准备好
War? The world is filled with love. There’ll be no more wars.
世界充满爱 不会再有战争
You must have your share.
你该得到你应得的
Your titles and powers must be spelled out exactly.
头衔 权力应该确立清楚
There can be no question of your complete authority in the East.
在东方你该有绝对的权威
Antony, how will I live?
安东尼 我日子该怎么过
The same as I.
跟我一样过
One breath upon the other.
彼此每交换一个气息
Each bringing us
我们的距离
one breath closer.
每拉近了一点
You take so much of me with you so far.
你一离开 我就魂不守舍
Remember, remember. They’ll want you to forget.
记住记住 他们要你忘记我
Forget? How?
怎么忘记
I can never be more far away from you than this.
我一步 都不离开
He will come first to Brindisium.
他会先到布林迪森
Agrippa and I plan to welcome his arrival with a great ceremony.
亚格里巴和我计划盛大迎接他
He must see how dear to the hearts of the Romans, of us all,
安东尼该知道罗马人 包括我们
he is and has been.
是多么敬爱他

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!