when I have a gentleman caller. All right.
若是有男士来访 没关系
Oh. You have got a toothache, haven’t you?
哦 妳的牙齿真的很痛 对不对?
I surely have. Why don’t you try laughing at me again?
废话 你为什么不试试再笑我一下?
What? I’m still pretty funny.
什么? 我仍然很好笑啊
I know, but you don’t want me to laugh at you.
我知道 但我怕你不高兴
I don’t want your tooth to hurt, either. Ooh.
我也怕妳牙痛 哦
Look at me.
看着我
See that? What are you doing?
看见没? 你在干嘛?
I’m wiggling both my ears at the same time.
可以同时摆动两支耳朵
That’s it, smile.
笑的真甜
It took me two solid years,
我整整花了两年
at the best boys’ school in the world to learn that.
才在最好的男生学校学会这把戏
The fellow who taught me is now president of Venezuela.
教我的家伙 现在成了委内瑞拉的总统
That’s it!
这就对了
Is it a giraffe? No, not a giraffe.
长颈鹿吗? 不是长颈鹿
I bet it is. What?
我猜一定是什么 什么?
Well, then it’s an elephant.
是一头象
It’s supposed to be a rooster. No, a rooster!
其实是一支公鸡 一支公鸡
You know an awful lot of tricks. You’re not a professional magician, aren’t you?
你真会耍把戏 你该不会是职业魔术师吧?
No, I’m not a magician. I was just joking.
我不是魔术师 我只是开开玩笑
You really don’t know who I am?
妳真的不知道我是谁吗?
You told me your name, Mr. Kane, but I’m awfully ignorant.
你说你名字叫肯恩 我真无知
I guess you caught on to that.
不知道你是谁
You know, I bet it turns out I’ve heard your name a million times.
我想我常听说你的大名
You really like me though, even though you don’t know who I am?
妳虽然不知道我是谁 却仍然喜欢我吗?
I surely do. You’ve been wonderful.
当然 你真的很好
Without you I don’t know what I would have done.
没有你 我真的不知道该怎么办
I had a toothache, and I don’t know many people.
我的牙痛 而且我认识人不太多
I know too many people.
我认识的人就是太多了
I guess we’re both lonely.
但我们都很寂寞
Hey, you want to know what I was going to do tonight,
妳知道毁了这件最好衣服之前
before I ruined my best Sunday clothes?
我来这附近做什么?
I bet they’re not your best Sunday clothes. You probably get a lot of clothes.
你一定很喜欢这件衣服 你八成有很多衣服
I was just joking.
我只是开开玩笑
I was on my way to the Western Manhattan Warehouse…
我当时正打算去西曼哈顿的仓库…
in search of my youth.
去寻找我的年轻时代
You see, my mother died a long time ago.
很久以前我的母亲去世了
Her things were put in storage out West.
她的遗物都放在西侧仓库
There wasn’t any other place to put them.
找不到别的地方放
I thought I’d send for them now.
一直到现在
Tonight I was going to take a look at them.
我还没机会去看一看
You know, a sort of sentimental journey.
那会是一次感伤的旅程
I run a couple of newspapers. What do you do?
我经营几家报社 妳呢?
Me? Mmhm.
我吗? 嗯哼
How old did you say you were? I didn’t say.
妳说妳几岁了 我还没说啊
I didn’t think you did, if you had, I wouldn’t have asked you.
我知道 我想看妳记不记得妳说过的话
I would have remembered, how old? Pretty old.
到底几岁? 很老了
How old? Twentytwo in August.
几岁? 八月就满廿二岁了
That’s a ripe old age. What do you do?
那可是一把年纪了 做什么的?
I work at Seligman’s. I’m in charge of the sheet music there.
我在西格门公♥司♥做事 负责货运方面的事务
Seligman’s. Is that what you want to do?
这是妳希望的工作吗?
No, I wanted to be a singer, I guess.
不是 我想当个歌♥星
That is, I didn’t. My mother did for me. What happened to the singing?
那是我妈叫我做的 为什么要当歌♥星?
Well, mother always thought…
我妈总是认为…
she always talked about grand opera for me. You can imagine.
她总是以为我唱得很棒 你可以想象
But my voice isn’t that kind. It’s just,
但其实我的歌♥喉不怎么
well, you know what mothers are like.
你也知道母亲都是那样子
Yes, I know.
我了解
Have you got a piano? A piano?
妳有钢琴吗? 钢琴吗?
Mmhm. Yes, there’s one in the parlor.
嗯哼 在客厅里
Would you sing for me? You wouldn’t want to hear me sing.
可以为我唱一首吗? 假如你让我唱的话
Yes, I would.
当然愿意
Well… Don’t tell me your toothache is bothering you.
我… 妳不会还在为牙痛烦恼吧
No, that’s all gone.
不会 完全不痛了
All right.
好吧
Let’s go to the parlor.
我们到客厅去
There is only one man who can rid the politics…
只有一个人能清除大头目…
of this state of the evil domination of Boss Jim Gettys.
吉慕·盖利的手下的政坛败类
I am speaking of Charles Foster Kane,
那就是查理·佛斯特肯恩
the fighting liberal…
自♥由♥派的战士…
the friend of the workingman, the next governor of this state…
工人们的朋友 本州的下一任州长…
who entered upon this campaign….
即将在此次选举赢得胜利….
with one purpose only:
我只有一个目的
To point out and make public the dishonesty…
是将大头目吉慕盖利政♥治♥机器下….
the downright villainy of Boss Jim W. Gettys’ political machine…
恶贯满盈的骗徒爪牙们的罪行公诸于世…
now in complete control of the government of this state.
目前他们牢牢的控制了本州政♥府♥
I made no campaign promises…
我不会做什么竞选诺言…
because, until a few weeks ago, I had no hope of being elected.
因为才几个星期之前 我还没希望能够当选
Now, however, I have something more than a hope.
而现在 我拥有的不只是希望了
Jim Gettys…
而吉慕呢…
Jim Gettys has something less than a chance.
吉慕·盖利连个机会都没有
Every straw vote…
每一个抽样调查…
every independent poll shows that I will be elected.
每一个独♥立♥的民♥意♥调查 都显示我会当选
Very well.
现在
Now I can afford to make some promises.
我现在能做出一些承诺了
The workingman…
工人阶级们…
The workingman and the slum child…
工人阶级和穷苦的小孩…
know they can expect my best efforts in their interests.
明白我会尽力维护他们的利益
The decent, ordinary citizens know that I’ll do everything in my power…
每一位贫困而平凡的人都知道 我会尽我所能的…
to protect the underprivileged, the underpaid, and the underfed.
保护中下阶层 受到穷苦及不平待遇的人
Mother, is Pop governor yet? Not yet, Junior.
妈 爸当上州长了吗? 还没有
I’d make my promises now…
我现在就许下诺言…
if I weren’t too busy arranging to keep them.
因为今后我会忙着去实现
But here’s one promise I’ll make…
我要许下一个诺言…
and Boss Jim Gettys knows I’ll keep it.
而吉慕大哥知道我会实现
My first official act as governor of this state…
等我州长上任第一件事…
will be to appoint a special district attorney to arrange for the indictment…
就是委任特别地方检察官…
prosecution and conviction of Boss Jim W. Gettys.
将吉慕·盖利的罪行加以起诉
If the election were held today, you’d be in by 100,000 votes.
控告追诉并予以定罪
Gettys isn’t even pretending. Pop.
吉慕·盖利这下子不能再装了 爸
Hello, son. He isn’t just scared, he’s sick.
哈罗 儿子 他现在不会怕 他病了
I think it’s beginning to dawn on Jim Gettys I mean what I say.
我现在更喜欢吉慕·盖利了 我是说真的
Did you like your old man’s speech?
喜欢老爸的演说吗?
I was in the box, dad. I could hear every word.
我在后面听的一清二楚
I saw you. Hello, Emily. Hold it.
我看见你了 嘿 艾蜜莉 别动
Great speech, Mr. Kane. Wonderful.
肯恩先生 了不起的演说 妙极了
Please get us a taxi. Will you get us a taxi?
请给我们叫辆计程车 妳干嘛叫计程车?
A taxi? Why? I thought we’d… I’m sending Junior home in the car with Oliver.
为什么? 我以为… 我先叫车送他回去
Good night, Father.
再见 爸
Goodbye, son.
再见 儿子
Emily….
艾蜜莉….
Why did you send Junior home in the car, Emily?
妳为什么用我的车送小孩回去
What are you doing in a taxi?
又叫计程车干嘛?
There’s a call I want you to make with me, Charles.
我想叫你跟我一起上车
It can wait. No, it can’t.
可以等等 不行
What’s this all about, Emily? It may not be about anything at all.
到底怎么回事? 本来什么事都没有
I intend to find out.
直到我发现
Where are you going? I’m going to “185 West 74th Street.”
妳去那里? 我要去西74街185号♥
If you wish, you may come with me.
若你愿意 可以和我一起来
I’ll come with you.
我和妳去
I had no idea you had this flair for melodrama, Emily.
我不知道妳还有通俗剧的眼光
Come right in, Mr. Kane.
请进 肯恩先生
Charlie.
查理
Charlie, he forced me to send your wife that letter. I didn’t want to.
他强迫我寄喜帖给你 我不想
He’s been saying the most terrible….
他竟说出那些…
Mrs. Kane.
肯恩先生
I don’t suppose anybody would introduce us.
我想我们没人会彼此介绍
I’m Jim Gettys.
我就是吉慕·盖利
Yes?
没错
I made Miss Alexander send you the note, Mrs. Kane.
是我叫亚历山大给妳那张字条的