Now, shall we shake hands.
现在 握个手好吗?
Oh, come.
拜托
I’m not as frightening as all, am I?
我长得不会很吓人吧
What do you say? Let’s shake. Why, Charles.
怎么样 握个手吧 喂 查理
Charles, you almost hurt me. Charlie!
查理 你弄痛我了 查理
Sleds aren’t to hit people, but to sleigh with.
别把滑雪板丢到我身上
Mom!

You got to go.
你得走了
Jim!
吉慕
I’m sorry, Mr. Thatcher.
真抱歉 柴契尔先生
What the kid needs is a good thrashing.
这孩子需要好好的管教一下
That’s what you think, is it, Jim? Yes.
你这样认为吗? 吉慕 是的
That’s why he’s going to be brought up where you can’t get at him.
这就是他要带走的原因 因为你无法给他
Well, Charles…
查理…
Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas.
圣诞快乐 圣诞快乐
And a happy New Year.
并祝新年快乐
In closing…
聊着聊着…
may I again remind you,
容我先提醒你
your 25th birthday, which is now approaching…
你的廿五岁生日 即将到来…
marks your complete independence from the firm of Thatcher & Company,
你也将在柴契尔公♥司♥获致绝大之独♥立♥地位
as well as acquiring the full responsibility,
你也即将全权接管
for the world’s sixth largest private fortune.
负责全世界第六大的私人财富
Have you got that? “The world’s sixth largest private fortune.” Yes.
你接得上吗? 世界第六大的私人财富 没错
Charlse…
查理…
I don’t think you quite realize,
我认为你还不十分明白
the full importance of the position you are to occupy in the world.
你所获致的资产之重要性
I am therefore enclosing for your consideration…
为了你的将来着想…
a list of your holdings, extensively cross-indexed.
我想办法使你的资产扩张
“Dear Mr. Thatcher.” It’s from Mr. Kane.
亲爱的柴契尔先生 是肯恩先生
Go on. “Sorry, I’m not interested in gold mines…
接下去 抱歉 但我对金矿没兴趣…
“oil wells, shipping or real estate.”
油井 航运业
Not interested? Not in…
不感兴趣? 不感…
“One item on your list intrigues me:
我感兴趣的是
The New York Inquirer.
纽约询问报
“A little newspaper we acquired in a foreclosure proceeding.
一家我们当初利用破产收♥购♥的小报社
“Please don’t sell it. I am coming back to Amarica to take charge.
请先不要卖♥♥掉 我马上回美国接管
“I think it would be fun to run a newspaper.
我认为经营报社一定很好玩
“I think it would be fun to run a newspaper.”
我认为经营报社一定很好玩
“Traction Trust exposed.”
柴克森信托行踪败露
“Traction Trust bleeds public white.”
柴克森信托不敌公信力
“Traction Trust smashed by Inquirer.”
柴克森信托被询问报修理
“Landlords refuse to clear slums.”
地主们拒绝清除贫民窟
“Inquirer wins slum fight.” Oh….
询问报打赢贫民窟战争 哦….
“Wall Street backs copper swindle.”
华尔街支持铜货骗徒
“Copper robbers indicted.”
铜货强盗们被起诉
“Galleons of Spain off Jersey Coast.”
泽西沿岸出现西班牙帆船
Is that really your idea of how to run a newspaper?
这就是你经营报社的方法吗?
I don’t know how to run a newspaper, Mr. Thatcher…
我不懂怎样经营报社…
I try everything I can think of.
我只是想到什么就做什么 只是想到就做
Charlse, you know perfectly well there’s not the slightest proof this…
但这根本是空穴来风…
armada’s off the Jersey Coast. Hello, Mr. Bernstein.
无敌舰队离开泽西海岸 哈罗 柏恩斯汀
Excuse me, Mr. Kane. This… Can you prove it isn’t?
打扰了 肯恩先生 这个… 你有证据吗?
Mr. Bernstein, I’d like you to meet Mr. Thatcher.
柏恩斯汀 我正和柴先生讲话
I’ll just get a cigar. How’re you doing, Mr. Thatcher?
我来拿支雪茄 你好 柴先生
Mr. Leland. Hello.
李兰 哈罗
Mr. Thatcher, my exguardian. From Cuba.
柴先生是我从前的监护人 古巴来的
We have no secrets from our readers, Mr. Bernstein.
我们对读者绝无隐瞒 柏先生
Thatcher is one of our devoted readers.
柴先生 我们最忠事的读者之一
He knows what’s wrong with every copy of the Inquirer since I took over.
他对我接掌询问报后的状况完全了若指掌
Read the cable.
念电报
“Girls delightful in Cuba. Stop.
古巴的战事停止了
Could send you prose poems about scenery…
可以寄给你风景诗篇…
“but don’t feel right spending your money. Stop.
但不好意思浪费你的钱
“There is no war in Cuba.” Signed “Wheeler.” Any answer?
古巴此地无战争 惠勒亲笔 要回话吗?
Yes. Dear Wheeler:
是的 亲爱的 惠勒
You provide the prose poems, I’ll provide the war.
你提供我诗篇 我提供战争
That’s fine, Mr. Kane.
这个好 肯恩先生
Yes, I like it myself. Send it right away. Charles,
我也很欣赏我自己 立刻寄出 查理
I came to see you about this campaign of yours.
我过来看你胡搞
The Inquirer’s campaign against the Public Transit Company.
询问报卷入大众运输公♥司♥的争斗
Mr. Thatcher, do you know anything we can use against them?
你知道如何对抗他们吗?
You’re still the college boy, aren’t you?
你还是个大学小伙子
Oh, no, Mr. Thatcher, I was expelled from college,
不对 我念过好多所大学
a lot of colleges, you remember? I remember.
也被许多大学驱逐出门 记得吗? 我还记得
Charles,
查理
I think I should remind you of a fact you seemed have forgotten. Yes.
我认为该提醒你一些似乎你遗忘的事 是的
That you’re, yourself,
关于你自己的
one of the largest individual stockholders in the Public Transit Company.
你是大众运输公♥司♥最大的私人股东之一
The trouble is, you don’t realize you’re talking to two people.
问题就在于你不了解 你正在对两个人说话
As Charles Foster Kane,
一位是查理·佛斯特·肯恩
who owns 82,36♥4♥ shares of Public Transit Preferred.
拥有两千三百六十四股的大众运输公♥司♥优先股
You see, I do have a general idea of my holdings.
我对自己的持股还蛮有概念的
I sympathize with you. Charles Foster Kane is a scoundrel…
我和你有同感 查理根本是个无赖…
his paper should be run out of town,
他该被驱逐出境
a committee should be formed to boycott him.
应该组成一个委员会加以抵♥制♥
You may if you can form such a committee,
你以为花个一千块钱捐款
put me down for a contribution of $1,000. My time…
就可以组成委员把我整倒 我的一生…
On the other hand, I am the publisher of the Inquirer.
另外一方面 我是询问报的出版人
As such it’s my duty, I’ll let you in on a little secret.
我的责任就是让读者享受秘密
It is also my pleasure…
那也是我的乐趣…
to see to that the decent hard working people of this community,
眼看着一群勤奋工作的好人
aren’t robbed by a pack…
被一批海盗搜刮…
of money-mad pirates, just because…
而不自觉 原因就在此…
they have no one to look after their interests.
没有人照顾他们的利益
I’ll let you in on another little secret, Mr. Thatcher:
我还会泄露一点秘密 柴先生
I think I’m the man to do it. You see,
我就是承担大任的人
I have money and property.
我拥有金钱和资产
If I don’t look after the interests of the underprivileged,
若我不照顾中下阶层的利益
maybe somebody else will.
或许别人也会
Maybe somebody without money or property.
或许是个一文不名的人
Yes, yes. Money and property. That would be too bad.
是的 是的 那样就糟了
Well I happened to see your financial statement today, Charles.
我刚好今天瞧见你的财务状况
Oh, did you?
怎么会?
Tell me, honestly, my boy…
老实告诉我…
don’t you think it’s rather unwise,
难道询问报
to continue this philanthropic enterprise…
一年亏损一百万美元…
this Inquirer, that is costing you $1 million a year?
还值得继续经营下去吗?
You’re right, Mr. Thatcher, I did lose $1 million last year.
你说的对 柴先生 我去年的确亏损了一百万
I expect to lose $1 million this year.
我想今年还会亏损一百万
I expect to lose $1 million next year.
我准备明年照样亏一百万
You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of $1 million a year…
你会算吧 一年一百万的速率…
I’ll have to close this place in 60 years.
我得关门大吉 那是六十年以后的事
“With respect to the said newspapers…
关于以上的报社…
“the said Charles Foster Kane…
查理·佛斯特·肯恩…
“hereby relinquishes all control thereof…
已买♥♥下足以控制大权的股份…
“and of the syndicates pertaining thereto…
以及其所属的两家新闻社…
“and any and all other newspaper,
和其余目前旗下的
press and publishing properties of any kind whatsoever…
各种出版事业…
“and agrees to abandon all claim thereto…”
且同意放弃所有…
Which means we’re bust, all right. Well, out of cash.
这表示我们破产了 其实只是没现金
All right, Mr. Bernstein.
好了 柏恩斯汀先生
I’ve read it, Mr. Thatcher, just let me sign it and go home.
我念过了 柴契尔先生 让我签字吧 我要回家了
You’re too old to call me Mr. Thatcher, Charles.
叫我柴先生嫌太老了吧
You’re too old to be called anything else.
称呼你别的一样很老
You were always too old.
你一向都太老
“In consideration thereof, Thatcher & Company agrees…
由于顾虑以上之各种情况 柴契尔公♥司♥同意…
“to pay to Charles Foster Kane, as long as he lives…”
在肯恩有生之年 每年支付其 我知道…
My allowance.
是零用钱
“This will continue to maintain over your newspapers a large measure of control.
以继续保持你在报社的绝对支配权
“Measure of control.”
支配权

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!