我要打一个勾拳
I want a turn.
左 右 左 邦 邦 邦
Left, right, left. Pop, pop, bang.
来 豪伊
Come on, Howie.
好了 够了 家里不许打拳
All right, that’s enough! No boxing in the house!
家里不许打拳 行吗
No boxing out of the house. All right?
不许打拳 暂时
No boxing. Period!
你们要去上学
You’re gonna stay in school.
然后你们上高中…
Then you’re gonna go to college…
你们要做体面的工作
and you’re gonna have professions.
因为你们的脑袋也不会被砸扁的
Because you’re not gonna have your skulls smashed in, too!
你们明白我说什么了吗 明白吗
Do you understand me? Is that clear?
嘿 你们睡觉去 好吗
Hey, why don’t you boys go and get ready for bed, all right?
我经常祈祷…
I used to pray…
你刚好伤到…
for you to get hurt just enough…
不可以参加比赛
so you couldn’t fight anymore.
当他们撤消你的执照的时候 虽然我很害怕…
And when they took your license away, even scared as I was…
我去教堂 感谢上帝
I went to the church and I thanked God for it.
因为我总知道…
‘Cause I always knew…
有一天 你会死在上面
a day might come when it could kill you.
我知道 詹姆斯 现在就是
I just knew it, Jimmy. And now it’s here.
你只是有点神经过敏 就这样
You just got the jitters, that’s all.
他已经杀了两个人 詹姆斯 值得吗
He’s killed two men, Jimmy! What’s worth it?
我要对我们的生活有个交代 好吗
I have to believe I got some kind of say over our lives. Okay?
当不好的时候 我们可以改变它们…
You know, that if things are bad, that we can change them…
我们可以让家里的生活变得更好
we can make things better for our family.
但是我需要你平安…
But I need you to be safe…
没有什么平安的了 玫…太多
Nothing’s safe anymore, Mae… so much.
如果没有…
And without that…
-我需要你平平安安…-没有什么可以平安
– I need you to be safe!… – nothing’s safe at all.
好吧
All right.
我必须旁观这一切
I have stood by for all of it.
直到现在
Until now.
这次不行 詹姆斯 我真不行
Not for this, Jimmy. I just can’t.
你可以去训练
So you train all you want.
给报纸做的表演
Make a show of it for yourself, for the papers.
但是你必须想个办法推掉那个比赛
But you find a way out of that fight.
如果有必要 把你的手弄断
Break your hand again if you have to.
他没事吧
Is he all right?
那么 他怎么样
So, how’s he doing?
他老了 关节炎
He’s old. He’s arthritic.
自从和拉丝克的比赛以来 他的肋骨一直有问题
And his ribs haven’t been right since the Lasky fight.
有什么坏消息吗 伙计
What’s the bad news, sunshine?
乔伊 什么
Joe! What?
记者们在这里 天啊
The reporters are here. Jesus.
好 把那个护肋拿走
Right. Get rid of that goddamn rib protector.
詹姆斯 记者们来了
Jimmy! Press is here, boy-o!
在台上打几全
Get bouncing around in that ring!
开演的时间到了 笑一点 你是主角
Showtime! Big smiles! You’re the belle of the ball!
贝尔不需要知道那肋骨的事
Baer don’t need to know about no goddamn ribs.
1935年6月13日 拳王争霸赛当天
再见 爸爸
Bye, Dad.
来 咱们走
Come on, let’s go. Let’s go.
嘿 瞧 那是他
Hey, look. It’s him.
那是布洛克
There’s Braddock!
也许这是属于你的一天 勇士
Maybe this is your day, Bulldog!
看 是他 是詹姆斯 瞧 就在那
Look, it’s him! It’s Jimmy, look, right there!
我们支持你 詹姆斯 你会打败他的 勇士
We’re with you, Jimmy! You’re gonna beat him, Bulldog!
看 谁来了 嗨 爱丽斯阿姨
Well, look who’s here. Hi, Aunt Alice.
快进来
Come on in.
不要开收音机 好吗
No radio, all right?
好 当然 好 马上就回来
Yeah, sure. All right. Be back soon.
你好 玫 我来这里为他祈祷
Hello, Mae. I came to pray for Jim.
他们也一样
So did they.
对
Yeah.
他们以为詹姆斯在为他们而战
They all think that Jim’s fighting for them.
纽约长岛 麦迪逊花♥园♥广场体育馆
嘿
Hey.
什么
Yeah?
谁打败了约翰·亨利·路易丝
Who beat that John Henry Lewis?
那个叫布洛克的小子 对了
That Braddock guy. Correct.
谁揍了那个叫阿特·拉丝克的混♥蛋♥
Who whupped that Art Lasky punk?
詹姆斯·吉·布洛克 又说对了
James J. Braddock. Correct again.
现在 来猜这一个
Now, refresh me on this one.
谁彻底打败了寇·格里芬…
Who was it took that Corn Griffin and turned him inside out…
什么话都没有 那是谁
with no questions asked? Who was that?
我以前以为是我…
I used to think it was me…
但是现在我想是你
but now I’m kinda thinking it was you.
不 不要小看你自己
No, don’t you sell yourself short.
有时候 你想为什么不打点绷带呢
At some stage, you think maybe you’re gonna do some taping here?
为什么不呢
Why not?
好吧 这怎么样
All right, let’s see. How’s that?
什么
What?
对不起 女士
Excuse me, ma’am.
没有我在背后 你赢不了
You can’t win without me behind you.
那是我一直说的话
That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.
也许我开始明白了
Maybe I understand some.
关于为什么去打拳
About having to fight.
那么你就记住你是谁
So you just remember who you are.
你是卑尔根的勇士…
You’re the Bulldog of Bergen…
新泽西的骄傲
and the pride of New Jersey.
你是每个人的希望
You’re everybody’s hope.
你是你孩子们的英雄
And you’re your kids’ hero.
你是我心中的冠军…
And you are the champion of my heart…
詹姆斯·吉·布洛克
James J. Braddock.
你还是回家吧
You know, you better get home.
拳手们经常在这里晃荡…
You know, boxers hang around places like this…
你可不想和那些人纠缠在一起
and you don’t want to get tangled up with that kind of crowd.
象你这样漂亮的女孩 对 好吧
Nice girl like you. Yeah, okay.
我在家里等你
I’ll see you at home.
詹姆斯
Please, Jimmy.
我在家里等你
I’ll see you at home?
在家见 宝贝
See you at home, baby.
在迈迪森方圆拳击场上
From the ringside of the Madison Square Garden Bowl.
今晚 我们的海岸对抗塞…
Tonight, our coast-to-coast hookup…
带您来到今年最重要的一场比赛
brings you the biggest pugilistic event of the year.
麦克斯·贝尔对铁拳男人詹姆斯·布洛克
Max Baer versus the Cinderella Man, Jimmy Braddock.
在马上的时间里…
And in a few moments…
今晚冠军的争夺者…
the contestants for tonight’s championship bout…
会来到拳击场内
will be making their way to the ring.
上帝啊
God Almighty.
詹姆斯·布洛克从救济排队里走来…
Jim Braddock’s rise from the soup lines…
成为挑战重量级冠军一号♥挑战者真是奇迹
to number one heavyweight contender has truly been miraculous.
我有生以来从来没看过场内如此安静
No, never in all my years have I seen this arena so quiet.
你做得到 詹姆斯
You can do it, Jimmy!
詹姆斯·吉·布洛克 铁拳男人…
James J. Braddock, the Cinderella Man…
在一年以前还在排队领救济
who just a year ago was standing in a bread line.
布洛克是个失败的赌博者…
Braddock’s a tremendous underdog with the bettors…
但是你不会从人群的反应中看出来
but you wouldn’t know it from the reaction of the crowd.
迈迪森方圆拳场跪到在脚下 声音震耳欲聋
Madison Square Garden is on its feet and the noise is deafening!
今晚惊人的爆满
An astonishing crowd is gathered here this evening.
我看到人们排队来买♥♥票…
I saw people lining up to buy tickets tonight who looked…
很多人看来象是花他们最后的一美元
as if they were spending their last dollar.
但是在这里有三万五之多
But they’re here now and 35, 000 strong!
听听他们的声音吧
Listen to them!
我们知道麦克斯·贝尔已经离开了他的更衣室
We understand Max Baer has left his dressing room.
他来了
There he is.
麦克斯·贝尔有好莱坞明星的派头
Max Baer has the look and swagger of a Hollywood star.
今晚 但是 是真的…
Tonight, though, there’ll be no play-acting…
和詹姆斯·布洛克在拳台上较量 这场比赛是真刀真枪的
not with Jim Braddock in the ring. This fight is for real.
餐桌已经准备好了 我们来吃正餐
The table’s been set. Let’s get to the main course.
1935年6月13日
麦克斯·贝尔 对抗 詹姆斯·吉·布洛克