【讣告栏】
查尔斯·C·布朗德尔
卡拉·L·凯恩莱特
贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布
基思·梅希尔
杰西·沃尔丁
市议会通过水利债务提案
一千万元工程将由公众最后投票决定
女士
Ma’am.
谢谢您赏光
Thank you for coming.
点餐吗?-喝点什么?
Yes, sir? -Drink?
汤姆柯林斯鸡尾酒 要酸橙 不要柠檬
Tom Collins. With lime, not lemon, please.
加酸橙的汤姆柯林斯鸡尾酒
Tom Collins with lime.
我收到了您邮来的支票
I got your check in the mail.
我说过 我真的很感激
Yes. As I said, I was very grateful.
穆雷夫人 恐怕事情没这么简单
Mrs. Mulwray, I’m afraid that’s not good enough.
那你要多少钱?
How much would you like?
哦 不是钱的问题 您够慷慨了
Oh, stop it, the money’s fine. It’s generous.
但是我觉得您还有什么瞒着我
But I think you short-changed me on the story.
我有吗?-我觉得是
I have? -I think so.
除了您丈夫的死 还有别的事情在困扰您
Something else besides the death of your husband was bothering you.
您难过 但没难过到那种程度
You were upset, but not that upset.
吉蒂斯先生 我的情感不需要你猜测
Mr. Gittes, don’t tell me how I feel.
抱歉
Sorry.
您先是起诉我 然后丈夫死了 又像丢掉烫手山芋一样撤诉
Look, you sue me, your husband dies, you drop the lawsuit like a hot potato,
简直比鸭子放屁来的还快
all of it quicker than the wind from a duck’s ass.
原谅我的用词
Excuse me.
然后你让我向警♥察♥撒谎 -并不完全是谎话
Then you ask me to lie to the police… -It wasn’t much of a lie.
如果您丈夫是被谋杀的 那就是撒谎
If your husband was killed, it was.
这看起来像是您付给我的封口费
This could look like you paid me off to withhold evidence.
但他并不是被谋杀的
But he wasn’t killed.
穆雷夫人 我觉得您在隐瞒些什么
Mrs. Mulwray, I think you’re hiding something.
这个嘛…
Well,
我想是的
I suppose I am.
事实上 我知道他有外遇
Actually, I knew about the affair.
怎么发现的?-是我丈夫
How did you find out? -My husband.
他告诉你的?
He told you?
您一点也不烦恼吗?
And you weren’t the least bit upset?
我很欣慰
I was grateful.
穆雷夫人 您得解释一下
Mrs. Mulwray, you’ll have to explain that.
干嘛?
Why?
我做婚姻调查 这是我的营生
Look, I do matrimonial work. It’s my metier.
一个妻子说 她因为丈夫的出轨而感到欣慰
When a wife tells me that she’s happy that her husband is cheating on her,
这跟我的经验背道而驰
it runs contrary to my experience.
除非?
Unless what?
除非她也出轨了
She was cheating on him.
您有吗?
Were you?
我不喜欢“出轨”这个词
I dislike the word “cheat”.
您有私情吗?
Did you have affairs?
吉蒂斯先生… -他知道吗?
Mr. Gittes… -Did he know about it?
我当然不会跟别人上♥床♥后 还特意告诉他
Well, I wouldn’t run home and tell him every time I went to bed with someone,
如果你是这个意思的话
if that’s what you mean.
你还想知道别的什么事情吗?
Is there anything else you want to know about me?
您丈夫死的时候您在哪儿?
Where were you when your husband died?
说不上来
I can’t tell you.
您是说您不知道您在哪儿?
You mean you don’t know where you were?
我是说我不能告诉你 -您也在跟别人幽会
I mean I can’t tell you. -You were seeing someone, too.
很久了吗?
For very long?
我很久没见过任何人了 吉蒂斯先生
I don’t see anyone for very long, Mr. Gittes.
这对我来说很难
It’s difficult for me.
好了 所有你想知道的我都说了
Now, I think you know all you need know about me.
我不想引起公众注意
I didn’t want publicity.
也不想再谈这些事 无论过去还是现在的
I didn’t want to go into any of this, then or now.
问完了吗?
Is that all?
对了 顺便问一下 这个“C”代表什么?
By the way, what does this “C” stand for?
克罗斯
“Cross.”
你的娘家姓?-是的
It’s your maiden name? -Yes.
怎么了?
Why?
没什么
No reason.
总有一个要问的原因吧
You must’ve had a reason to ask me that.
没有 只是随便问问
No. I’m just a snoop.
不用了 我自己有车 那辆帕卡德
No. I have my own car. The Packard.
等一下 小伙子
Wait a minute, sonny.
我看你最好跟我走
I think you better come with me.
干什么?没什么好说的了
But why? There’s nothing more to say.
麻烦你把我的车取过来
Will you get my car, please?
行 你回去吧
Okay, go home.
但万一你感兴趣 那真♥相♥就是你的丈夫是被谋杀的
But in case you’re interested, your husband was murdered.
有人每天从城市的水库
Somebody’s been dumping thousands of tonnes of water
排放上千吨♥的水
from the city’s reservoirs,
因为现在正闹旱灾
and we’re supposed to be in the middle of a drought.
他发现了这件事 所以被杀了
He found out about it, and he was killed.
停尸间还躺着个被淹死的酒鬼
There’s a waterlogged drunk in the morgue.
如果真是有人放水导致的 那就是过失杀人
Involuntary manslaughter, if anybody wants to take the trouble,
可没人追究
which they don’t.
看来这个城里一半以上的人都想把这桩事掩盖起来
It seems like half the city is trying to cover it all up,
我倒是毫无意见
which is fine by me.
但是 穆雷夫人
But, Mrs. Mulwray,
我却差点因此丢了鼻子
I goddamn near lost my nose,
我喜欢我的鼻子
and I like it.
喜欢用它呼吸
I like breathing through it.
而且我仍然认为你在隐瞒些什么
And I still think that you’re hiding something.
吉蒂斯先生…
Mr. Gittes…
我是杰克·吉蒂斯 来找伊尔波顿先生
J.J. Gittes to see Mr. Yelburton.
诺亚·克罗斯 1929年
伊尔波顿先生在忙
Mr. Yelburton will be busy for some time.
嗯 正好是我的午休时间 我可以等
Well, it’s my lunch hour. I can wait.
他不知道要忙到什么时候了
He’s liable to be tied up indefinitely.
我的午休时间很长
I take a long lunch hour.
有时是一整天
All day, sometimes.
诺亚·克罗斯 霍利斯·穆雷 1925年
诺亚·克罗斯曾经在这儿工作?
Noah Cross worked for the Water Department.
是的
Yes.
也不算 -到底是不是?
No. -Well, did he or didn’t he?
水利部是他的
He owned it.
他是水利部的头儿?
He owned the Water Department?
是啊
Yes.
你是说 他控制了全城的供水系统?
You mean, he owned the entire water supply for the city?
是的
Yes.
那他们是怎么从他手中弄过来的?
How did they get it away from him?
穆雷先生认为水应该属于大众
Mr. Mulwray felt the public should own the water.
穆雷先生?
Mr. Mulwray?
你刚才还说水利部属于克罗斯
I thought you said Cross owned it.
也被穆雷先生掌握着
Along with Mr. Mulwray.
他们是合伙人?-是是是 他们是合伙人
They were partners? -Yes! Yes, they were partners.
伊尔波顿先生现在可以见你了
Mr. Yelburton will see you now.
吉蒂斯先生 抱歉让您久等了
Mr. Gittes, sorry to keep you waiting.
总有一些没完没了的会议
These staff meetings, they just go on and on.
是啊 尤其是在这种情况下接管
Yeah. Must be especially tough to take over under these circumstances.
对 霍利斯是本市最好的水利总工程师
Yes. Hollis was the best department chief the city’s ever had.
天啊 您的鼻子怎么了?
My goodness, what happened to your nose?
刮胡子时割到了
Cut myself shaving.
您得小心些 那一定很疼
Well, you ought to be more careful. That must really smart.
也就呼吸时疼
Only when I breathe.
也就呼吸时疼
Only when you breathe.
可别说您还在为穆雷夫人工作
Don’t tell me you’re still working for Mrs. Mulwray.
我从未为她工作过 -我不太明白
I never was. -I don’t understand.
其实我也不太明白
Neither do I, actually.
是你雇佣的我
You hired me.
或者是你雇佣的那个骗子来雇佣我
Or you hired that chippy to hire me.
吉蒂斯先生 你在胡扯什么啊
Mr. Gittes, you’re not making a bit of sense.
好吧 我们换一个说法
Well, let’s look at it this way.
穆雷并不想修大坝
Mulwray didn’t want to build a dam.
而他的声誉又难以动摇
He had a reputation that was hard to get around.
所以你打算毁他的声誉
You decided to ruin it.