They wrote you a letter!
但你也不识字啊
But then you’d have to be able to read.
放松点 见到你很高兴 您认识这位克劳德·马尔维希尔吗?
Relax, Mulvihill. Glad to see you. You know Claude Mulvihill here?
认识 他为我们工作
Well, I hope so. He’s working for us.
做什么?
Doing what?
坦白讲 最近有人威胁
Well, frankly, there have been some threats
要炸毁城市的水库
to blow up the city reservoirs.
有什么动机吗?-因为该死的干旱
Any particular reason? -Well, it’s this darn drought.
我们不得不控制谷地用水 农民们急疯了
We’ve had to ration water in the Valley and the farmers are desperate.
我们有什么办法呢?城市居民也需要饮用水
But what can we do? The rest of the city needs drinking water.
那你走运了 伊尔波顿先生 -此话怎讲?
Well, you’re in luck, Mr. Yelburton. -How’s that?
当年马尔维希尔在文图拉县当警长时
When Mulvihill here was Sheriff of Ventura County,
那些酒贩子运了成吨♥的朗姆酒在海滩上
the rum runners landed hundredsof tonnes of booze on the beach
一滴都没损失呢
and never lost a drop.
他肯定能帮您保住水的
He ought to be able to hold on to your water for you.
我是杰克·吉蒂斯 来见穆雷先生
J.J. Gittes to see Mr. Mulwray.
请进
Please.
稍等
You wait.
对“吵”不好 -是的 当然.
Bad for glass. -Yeah. Sure.
对“吵”不好
Bad for the glass.
*花匠是亚裔,英语发音不准
原意为‘对草[grass]不好’,发音成[glass]
吉蒂斯先生
Mr. Gittes.
其实我是来找您丈夫的
Actually, I came to see your husband, Mrs. Mulwray.
您要喝点什么?
Would you like something to drink?
有什么?
What are you having?
冰茶 -就它了 谢谢
Iced tea. -That’ll be fine, thank you.
两杯冰茶 卡恩 -是 夫人
Two iced teas, Kahn, please? -Yes, ma’am.
我丈夫在办公室
My husband’s at the office.
事实上 他不在 穆雷夫人
Actually, he’s not, Mrs. Mulwray,
而且他已经从艾尔·马康多公♥寓♥搬走了
and he’s checked out of his apartment at the El Macondo.
那不是他的公♥寓♥
That’s not his apartment.
总之 我…
Anyway, I…
问题是我这一行是不受人喜欢的 但这是我的职业
The point is, is I’m not in business to be loved, but I am in business,
相信我 谁陷害您丈夫
and believe me, Mrs. Mulwray, whoever set your husband up,
也就在陷害我
set me up.
洛杉矶是个小地方 流言蜚语的
L.A.’s a small town. People talk.
我只想在这儿谋生 不想变成本地的笑话
I’m just trying to make a living. I don’t want to become a local joke.
吉蒂斯先生 你说服我了 我会撤消诉讼
Mr. Gittes, you’ve talked me into it. I’ll drop the lawsuit.
什么?-我说 我会撤消诉讼
What? -I said, I’ll drop the lawsuit.
让整件事翻篇吧
So let’s just drop the whole thing.
要糖还是柠檬 还是都要?-都要
Sugar, lemon, or both? -Both.
穆雷夫人 -怎么了 吉蒂斯先生?
Mrs. Mulwray… -Yes, Mr. Gittes?
我不想就此翻篇
…I don’t want to drop it.
我最好跟您丈夫谈谈
I better talk to your husband about this.
为什么?有什么必要呢?
Why? What on Earth for?
霍利斯也觉得你是无辜的
Hollis seems to think you’re an innocent man.
穆雷夫人 过去别人给我安过不少罪名
Well, I’ve been accused of a lot of things before, Mrs. Mulwray,
但从不像这次
but never that.
有人搞了不少鬼
Look, somebody’s gone to a lot of trouble here,
不管起不起诉 我都想把这事搞个水落石出
and lawsuit or no lawsuit, I intend to find out.
被揪住把柄的人不该是我
I’m not supposed to be the one who’s caught with his pants down.
所以我最好和您丈夫面谈 除非有什么不便
So unless it’s a problem, I’d like to talk to your husband.
您这话是什么意思?
Why should it be a problem?
我可以直说吗 穆雷夫人?-当然可以
May I speak frankly, Mrs. Mulwray? -You may if you can, Mr. Gittes.
那个小情妇 很漂亮
Well, that little girlfriend, she was pretty,
当然 某种程度上是廉价的那种货色
in a cheap sort of a way, of course.
但她失踪了 也许他们一起藏起来了
She’s disappeared. Maybe they disappeared together.
那又怎样?关你什么事?
Suppose they did. How does that affect you?
这并不一件私事 穆雷夫人 -完全是私事
It’s nothing personal, Mrs. Mulwray. -It’s very personal!
私人得不得了
It couldn’t be more personal.
你究竟把它当作公事 还是你自己疯魔了?
Is this business or an obsession with you?
你看 我们这样…
Let’s look at it this way.
那个冒牌货 请原谅我的用词
Now, this phony broad, excuse the language,
向我冒充您 雇佣了我
she tells me she’s you. She hires me.
不管是谁让她干的 都不是对付我
Now, whoever put her up to it doesn’t have anything against me.
而是你的丈夫
They’re out to get your husband.
如果我能见见他 我或许能帮他
If I can see him, I can help him.
你们今早有聊过吗?
Did you talk to him this morning?
没有
No.
我很早就去骑马了
I went riding rather early.
看来您骑得很远
Looks like you went quite a distance.
我没有用马鞍
I was riding bareback.
你…
You…
你可以到橡树关或石峡谷水库看看
You might try the Oak Pass or the Stone Canyon Reservoir.
通常午餐后 他会在那散步
Frequently, at lunch, Hollis takes walks around them.
要不然 6:30就回家了
Otherwise, he’ll be home by 6:30.
我会再来的
I’ll stop by.
请事先打个电♥话♥
Please call first.
对不起 这里不对外开放 先生
Sorry, closed to public, sir.
我知道 警官…
Oh, that’s all right, Officer.
我是拉斯·伊尔波顿 水利部的副部长
Russ Yelburton, Deputy Chief of the department.
抱歉 伊尔波顿先生 请进 -没事
Sorry, Mr. Yelburton. Go on down. -That’s okay.
闲人免进
橡树关水库
私有财产
吉蒂斯 天呐 -洛奇
Gittes! For Christ’s sake! -Loach.
在他看见你之前快离开 -你说什么呢?
Get out of here before he sees you. -What are you talking about?
怎么了?-洛奇
What’s going on here? -Loach!
嗨 杰克
Hello, Jake.
卢 你好吗?
Lou. How are you?
感冒了 不能跟你握手 其他还行
Lousy cold I can’t seem to shake, but otherwise, I’m okay.
热感冒最麻烦了 -可不是嘛
Yeah, summer colds are the worst. -Yeah, they are.
请勿吸烟 先生
There’s no smoking here, sir…
没事的 这次破个例吧
That’s all right, Officer. We can make an exception this time.
我看他打火挺小心的 烧不到自己
I’ll see he’s careful with the matches and doesn’t burn himself.
谢了 卢
Thanks, Lou.
你怎么让门卫放行的?
How’d you get past the guard?
说实话 我撒了一个小谎
Well, to tell you the truth, I lied a little.
看来你混得不错嘛
You look like you’ve done well by yourself.
马马虎虎
I get by.
有时候 人得花点时间才能找到自我
Well, sometimes it takes a while for a man to find himself.
看来你找到了
Maybe you have.
呵 靠别人的家丑过日子
Yeah, going through other people’s dirty linen.
说说吧 你还把唐人街的中国人关进去吗
Yeah. Tell me, you still putting Chinamen in jail
就因为人家朝衣服喷水
for spitting in the laundry?
你消息落后啦 杰克
You’re a little behind the times, Jake.
他们现在用上蒸汽熨斗了
They use steam irons now.
我现在也不在唐人街了
And I’m out of Chinatown.
什么时候的事?
Since when?
从被提升为警长后
Since I made lieutenant.
恭喜
Congratulations.
你在这儿干吗?-我在找个人
What are you doing around here? -I’m looking for somebody.
谁?
Who?
霍利斯·穆雷 你见过他吗?
Hollis Mulwray. You seen him?
见过
Yeah.
我想跟他谈谈
I’d like to talk to him.
你要想跟他谈谈
So you’d like to talk to him, huh?
大可去试试
You’re welcome to try.
就在那儿
There he is.
看来他是从渠道的那头一直被冲到这儿的
Looks like he was washed down the entire length of the run-off channel.
他会游泳吗?-当然会
Could he swim? -Of course.
显然 他跌下去时失去了意识
Obviously, the fall must have knocked him unconscious.
穆雷夫人
Mrs. Mulwray,
你丈夫那件所谓的风流韵事…
this alleged affair your husband was having.
曝光以后 有没有让他感到…
The publicity didn’t make him
郁闷或者不高兴?
morose, or unhappy?
当然不高兴了
It didn’t make him happy.
他有没有可能自杀呢?
There is no possibility that he would have taken his own life?
不可能
No.
穆雷夫人
Mrs. Mulwray,
您会不会凑巧知道那个年轻女人的姓名?
do you happen to know the name of the young lady in question?
不知道
No.