That’s right.
很早以前 我刚工作的时候
Way back, early in my career,
我发现在夜晚拍照真的很奇特
I discovered that there was really something special
真的很奇特
about photographing at night, that places your mind
会让你联想到星球表面
on the surface of a planet.
你不再只是个游走于世俗的人
You’re no longer just a human being walking around in the regular world.
你是动物 在银河中的一颗星球上
You are a human animal, striding around on the surface
飞奔驰骋
of the planet that’s out in the middle of the galaxy.
已经成了习惯的是 我们总是忘记
We as a culture… we’re forgetting
我们实际上是自然界中的有机体
that we are actually natural organisms
我们与大自然
and that we have this very, very deep connection
有着极深的联♥系♥
and contact with, and contact with nature.
你不可能把文明和自然分开
You can’t divorce civilization from nature.
我们完全依赖于自然
We totally depend on it.
在那之后不久
Shortly after that,
我们经历了一次长达一个月的艰苦旅行
he sent us on this month long, massive trip,
去一个难于登天的地方
to a place that’s really hard to get to,
去拍照 那些在黑暗中拍的照片令人咋舌
to get a shot that’s is just… it was such a shot in the dark.
灵感来源于一个叫”斯托”的冰川
The idea sprung from this one glacier called Store.
那个现象太壮观了 于是我们决定
That event was so spectacular, we decided,
我们必须回去 去找那块大的冰川
okay we got to go back, and go to the big glacier,
伊卢利萨特冰川 在那儿坐着
Ilulissat glacier and sit.
等着 等着拍摄一些
And wait. We’re going to try to catch some…
一些大的断裂场面
some big calving events.
宽达一千米的冰块
You know, kilometer wide pieces of ice coming
从巨大的冰川上脱落
of this massive, massive, glacier.
格陵兰岛的伊卢利萨特冰川
The Ilulissat glacier in Greenland is kind
就好像是所有冰川的母体
of… like the mother of all glaciers.
伊卢利萨特冰川 格陵兰岛
是北半球最多产的冰川
It is the most productive glacier in the Norther Hemisphere.
有传言说 就是这片冰川脱落的冰山
It’s rumored that this is the glacier that put out the iceberg
造成了泰坦尼克号♥沉没
that sank the titanic.
它每天漂行一百三十英尺
It flows at 130 feet every day.
这是一片巨大的冰湾
This is a really, really huge fjord of ice,
有五英里宽
and it’s about five miles wide.
太庞大了
That is massive.
我完全看不见他了
I totally lost him.
还看得到他吗
You see him still?
他正准备转弯
He’s going… he’s, he’s about to turn on go
就在我们计划去的半岛前面
in front of the peninsula that we think’s going to go.
哦 我看到他了
Oh, I see him.
他在底部附近
He’s at the base of it.
怎么了
What’s up?
我的靴子都冻洁了
My boots are frozen.
我真的很累
And I’m really tired.
什么也没发生
And nothing happens.
一天又一天
For days and days and days.
我们把这叫做观察冰川
We called it glacier watching.
因为实际上 就只是
Because literally, it was just,
我和亚当 三周以来 盯着冰川看
me and Adam, for three weeks, watching ice.
摄影对我来说
Photography for me has been…
就像别的事情一样 是为了提高意识
as much as anything… about a raising of awareness.
通过摄像机 我们就像是传输者
Through that camera, you know, we become vehicles
用我们的经历提高外界的认识
to raise awareness outside my own experience.
在这件事里 我们就是信使
And in this case, we’re the messengers.
他是个梦想家
He is a visionary,
他的工作很神圣
and his works are like sacred objects.
有请詹姆斯?巴洛戈
I present James Balog.
非常感谢
Thank you so much.
把灯光调暗一些好么
Can we dim the house lights a little bit more?
这样就好 好多了
That’s it, better.
我今晚要做的
Okay. What I’m here to do tonight is bring
就是向你们展示看得见 摸得着的证据
to you tangible, visual evidence of the immediacy
证明气候确实在变化
of climate change itself.
冰川很重要
Glaciers matter because they’re the canary
金丝雀对于瓦斯浓度极其敏感 有”瓦斯报♥警♥鸟”之称
它就像煤矿中的金丝雀
in the global coal mine.
透过冰川你能看到气候的变化
It’s the place where you can see climate change happening.
废话少说
And without further adieu,
直接来看看那里的一切
let me tell you what we’ve been seeing out there.
这片冰川名叫索海姆冰川
This is a glacier called the Solheim Glacier,
我们俯视它
we’re looking down on it.
现在 让时间动起来
Now we turn on our time lapse.
你可以看到边缘在后退
You can see the terminus retreating,
河流慢慢形成
you can see this river being formed,
冰盖在收缩
you can see it deflating.
时间倒♥退♥几年
You go back a couple years, in time…
这是刚开始的样子
That’s where it started.
这是几个月之前
That’s where it ended a few months ago.
现在 来看看冰川的另一边
Now down onto the side of the glacier,
看看它的边缘
looking across the terminus.
这是我们观察到的
This is what we see.
看这个
Look at this.
这里发生的坍缩
You’ll see deflation happening here
是由于热量融化了冰川表层
as heat takes away the surface
所以表面下降
of the glacier, the surface drops.
同时 水流从冰川中间穿过
At the same time, a stream is undercutting it
山谷地区的融化更快
from a glacier that’s melting faster up valley,
水流把他们带走
washing this thing away.
地球上大多数冰川都在消减
The vast majority of glaciers in the world are retreating.
蒙大拿国家冰川公园需要改名字了
Glacier National Park Montana will need a new name.
到本世纪中期 我们得叫它”无冰川公园”
We’ll be calling it glacier-less national park by the middle
因为到那时所有冰川都将消失
of the century because all the glaciers will be gone.
看到这些平时难得一见的东西
There’s such a strange, bizarre fascination
生动地呈现在你面前
in seeing these things you don’t normally get
你会被莫名地吸引
to see… come alive.
我们在阿♥拉♥斯加的哥伦比亚冰川上
We’re up at the Columbia glacier in Alaska, this is a view
我们看到的这个叫做断裂面
of what’s called a calving face.
这是我们的摄像机
This is what one of our cameras saw
几个月以来记录的
over a course of a few months.
哥伦比亚冰川正在分♥裂♥开来
The action at Columbia is in part,
这是由于当地的冰川运动
due to local glacier dynamics
气候变化造成了这种分♥裂♥
and in part due to climate change.
这是在哥伦比亚冰川拍到的时间推移照片
Here’s another time-laps shot of Columbia.
每个人都问 即使在冬季冰川也不会扩张吗
And everybody says well don’t they advance in the wintertime?
不会 在冬季它仍在减退
No, it was retreating through the winter
因为这是片病态的冰川
because it’s an unhealthy glacier.
我们发现它正在迅速缩小
We realized it was retreating so far we had to turn the camera
为了追踪拍摄 我们只得将摄像机移至上游
up stream to follow the retreat.
然后我们重新调整轴线
Then, we had to pivot it again.
八月份我们回去时 镜头已看不到冰川
And then, when we went back this past August, it was so far
我们不得不又一次移♥动♥摄像机
out of frame we had to turn the camera one more time
以便拍摄冰川
so that we could still see the glacier.
最左边是我们三年前开始的地方
So that’s where we started three years ago way out on the left,
这里是几个月之前
that’s where we were a few months ago last time we were
我们在哥伦比亚看到的
into Columbia.
三年后退距离2.5英里
我们得把它收起来
We’re going to have
压些石头在上面
to collapse it… put rocks over it.
要裂开了
It’s ripping too.
现在就得把它收起来
We got to collapse it now.
詹姆斯?巴洛戈在记录
James Balog is documenting the melting
全球冰川的融化
of glaciers around the world.
这是地球上最明显的气候变化
The most visible manifestations of climate change on the planet.
他让科学家也能看到这个现象
And he’s making it possible for scientists to watch too.
詹姆斯?巴洛戈是EIS的创始人和导演
James Balog is founder
我们从丹佛请到了他
and director of the Extreme Ice Survey he’s joining us now
詹姆斯 感谢你参与我们的节目
from Denver, James, thanks for being with us.
我很荣幸 谢谢
My pleasure, thank you.
我们将会对他做更多报道
We’ll also have more on our special report
他用照片来代替语言
on a man who lets his pictures do the talking
作为一个摄影师 看到这些我很兴奋
As a photographer, it’s exciting