It’s really the uncertainty
天气会变得恶劣还是非常恶劣 仍无法确定
between knowing whether it’s going to be bad or really bad.
(贺葛伯 珊瑚礁学家)
(海洋温度投影图 海面温度异常)
我们看海洋的温度 有投影的范围显示
When we look at ocean temperatures, there are a range of projections
未来的变化情形
of how they’re gonna change into the future.
如果取平均值,大约25年后
If you take the average, in about 25 years,
整个地球上
all across the planet,
所有海洋对珊瑚礁来说 都将因为温度过高而难以生存
the oceans become too warm for coral reefs to survive.
这表示每年都会有珊瑚白化
That means they’ll bleach every year
并且无法复原
and they won’t be healthy enough to recover.
珊瑚礁将无法继续生存和适应
Coral reefs will not be able to keep up, they will not be able to adapt,
我们会看到整个生态系统灭绝…
and we will see the eradication of an entire ecosystem
(盖兹博士 珊瑚礁生物学家)
就在我们生存的这个年代
in our lifespan.
那是非常沉痛的声明
That is a very gloomy statement.
但不幸地,却是真实情况
But, unfortunately, it is true.
我们地球上的一切都息息相关
[Hoegh-Guldberg] Everything on our planet is connected.
我们现在的行为 就是把名为“珊瑚礁”的牌
What we’re doing is pulling out the card called “coral reefs”
从纸牌屋中抽出来
from this house of cards.
真正的恐惧是我们将会抽出太多的牌
And the real fear is that we’ll take out enough of those cards
导致整个屋子倒塌
where the whole thing will just simply collapse.
如果我们无法拯救这个生态系统
If we can’t save this ecosystem…
我们会有勇气拯救下一个 面临危机的生态系统吗?
are we gonna have the courage to save the next ecosystem down the line?
我们需要森林吗?
[Dustan] Do we need forests?
我们需要树木吗?
Do we need trees?
我们需要珊瑚礁吗?
Do we need reefs?
还是说我们可以住在一片灰烬中?
Or can we just sort of live in the ashes of all of that?
(东北澳,昆士兰)
我们要去哪里?
So, tell me where we’re going.
我们要去查理维隆的家
We’re actually just going to Charlie Veron’s house.
以前一天坐在桌子后面好几个小时
Used to literally sit behind a desk for hours a day
用查理维隆的珊瑚名单确认生物
using Charlie Veron’s coral lists to ID things.
就像…他是老大
Like… he was the boss.
他就是我每天…
He was the information that I used on a daily basis
学习珊瑚的资讯来源
to learn everything that I know of corals.
现在我却要坐在他的客厅访问他
And now, I’m about to go sit in his living room and interview him.
真是迈出一大步
So, that’s quite a big step.
你好 -你好
Hello. -Hello.
我是查理 -你好吗?我是查克
Charlie. -How are you? I’m Zack.
很高兴见到你 -你是查克
Pleasure to meet you.
我大学念演化生物学
While I was in college studying evolutionary biology,
在水族馆找到一份工作
I actually got a job at an aquarium.
所以五年的时间,我养珊瑚
And so, for five years, I grew coral,
用你所有的研究成果教导自己 珊瑚的分类学
used all of your work to teach myself as much of coral taxonomy
尽可能学习 -了解
as I possibly could. -Oh, okay.
所以要来这里我非常紧张…
So, I was very nervous about it– Coming here, so–
我不是你应该要紧张的人
I’m not the sort of person to be nervous about.
完全不是,但…
No, not at all, but–
是 -我想我只是想听到…
Yeah. -I guess I just wanna hear
你对随着时间看到的改变有什么看法
your perspective of the change that you’ve seen over time.
(约翰“查理”维隆,珊瑚大♥师♥)
那是…一种完全不同的心态
Then it was… it was a totally different mindset,
因为珊瑚礁永远都在那里,毋庸置疑
because the reef was there forever, there was no question about it.
是 -我甚至纳闷…
Yeah. -I even wondered
你为什么会想要建造海洋公园
why you would wanna make it a marine park.
它非常巨大 没有一个能和大堡礁相比
It’s so big, nothing’s gonna touch the Great Barrier Reef.
但是发生了巨大的改变
But it’s changed enormously.
在我人生中看到的…
And this bleaching and the degrading of the Great Barrier
that I’ve seen in my lifetime…
大堡礁白化和衰退,我…
真的让我很沮丧
it really upsets me.
在蜥蜴岛,我们有看到发出萤光…或白化的珊瑚
Up at Lizard, we essentially have fluorescing or bleached corals
正在经历死亡的转变,被水藻覆盖
going through their transition to death, being covered in algae.
全部都是,对,没错
You covered the whole thing. Yeah, way to go.
对,整个混乱不堪
Yeah, the whole horrible, horrible, ghastly mess.
对,其实我们在那里非常艰难
Yeah. It was actually quite difficult while we were up there.
有几次我非常沮丧 完全不想待在那里
I got quite frustrated a few times where I just didn’t wanna be there anymore.
我不想再看下去了
I didn’t wanna watch it anymore.
我受够了…
I was over it. And…
我很庆幸自己已经不是你这个年纪了
I’m glad I’m not your age.
我做好心理准备
You know, I’m ready to check out when–
当我看到大堡礁被破坏的时候 因为它是我生命中…
when the Great Barrier Reef gets trashed, ’cause it’s been the most…
物质世界里最爱的东西
loved thing in the physical world of my life.
我潜水潜了…45年
You know, I’ve been diving on it for 45 years.
我绝对不会 在我年迈以前停止做这件事
And I’m damned if I’m ever gonna stop until I go completely senile.
我会一直做下去
I’m gonna keep going,
只要我还能影响人们,我就会去做
and as long as I can influence people, I will.
因为我们必须这么做 -没错
Because we have to. -Absolutely.
我们别无选择,恐怕没有
We’ve got no choice. You’ve got no choice, I’m afraid.
你必须继续坚持 -是
You’ve gotta keep at it. You’ve got to. -Yep, yep.
不然等你老了你不会喜欢自己
Otherwise, you’re not gonna like yourself when you’re an old man.
你会想说…你会更喜欢自己…
You’ll think… You’re gonna like yourself much more…
如果你可以说“我已试图扭转局势”
if you can say, “Well, I sure tried to turn that around.
“也许我真的影响了人们…”
And maybe I did influence people here and there and…”
别让任何事阻挡你
Don’t let a– Don’t let anything stop you.
我去拿我的眼镜
Just gotta get my glasses.
失去大堡礁必定得有其意义
Losing the Barrier Reef has actually gotta mean something.
不能就这样让它死去 成为老旧的教科书内容
You can’t let it just die, and it becomes an old textbook.
它必须…带来它应得的改变
It’s got to… cause the change that it deserves.
失去大堡礁 必须让世界开始有所警觉
Us losing the Great Barrier Reef has got to wake up the world.
(夏威夷檀香山会议中心)
我们现在的情况非常有趣
We have a really interesting situation.
过去30多年,我们面临…
Over the next 30 years, we’re going to be facing
海洋温度和情况的转变
shifting ocean temperatures and conditions.
(世界顶尖珊瑚礁科学家)
因为我们有0.5
…And that’s just a matter of fact, because we’ve got point-five…
(参与国际珊瑚礁研讨会)
我常常面对这些情况…
I usually get to these things and…
你开始会颤抖
and you start kind of almost shaking.
我也有点紧张
[Rago] I definitely have a little bit of nervousness going.
怎么样算是讲太多?
How much talking is too much talking?
扯到自身经验好吗?
Is getting personal a bad thing?
比如说“这个地方对我来说 是最难以回头面对的地点之一”
Like, “This one was one of the more difficult sites for me to go back to.”
看得出来这真的对你造成极大影响
Really good to show that it actually affected you.
没错 -这很重要
Right. -That’s really important.
也很好
Um, and good. Um…
只要你不要哭 -是
As long as you don’t start crying. -Yeah.

Yeah.
过去两年来
So, over the last two years,
我们从世界各地
we’ve been amassing a huge amount of bleaching imagery
收集了大量的白化照片
from all over the world.
查克会让大家看其中几张
Now Zack’s gonna show you some of that imagery.
请上台,查克
So, if you wanna pop up, Zack.
我们过去四个月待在澳洲
We spent the last four months in Australia
记录了正在发生的白化现象
and we documented the ongoing bleaching event.
所以我要让大家看看 我们的团队纪录的画面
And so, I wanted to just show you what our team was able to document.
仅仅两个月
In just two months,
我们就失去了这个珊瑚栖息地 大部分的鱼类
we’ve lost the majority of fish life on this coral colony.
这个软珊瑚瓦解了
The soft corals disintegrate.
一片又一片的软珊瑚
Fields and fields of soft coral
转变成了贫瘠的岩石
that then just turns into a barren rock face.
我以前甚至不觉得有这种可能
I didn’t even think it was possible.
这一直是大规模的死亡事件
This has been a mortality event on a massive scale.
(2016年 百分之29的大堡礁消失)
29% of the corals on the Great Barrier Reef alone have died.
光大堡礁就死了百分之29的珊瑚
一年就失去百分之29的动物珊瑚
To lose 29% of the coral animals in a single year,
真的让人对白化的规模非常惊讶
it’s just mind-blowing, the scale of this bleaching event.
我想最让人惊讶的是范围有多广
I think the most shocking part was how widespread it was.
因为这几乎影响了…
‘Cause it affected almost all the reefs
从蜥蜴岛向北到托雷斯海峡的 所有珊瑚礁
from Lizard Island north through Torres Strait.
情况非常严重
And it was severe.
(北区大堡礁 67%珊瑚礁消失)
这等同于失去…
It’s the equivalent of losing most of the trees
华盛顿到缅因州之间大部分的树木
between Washington, DC, and Maine.
不只是大堡礁
Well, this isn’t just the Great Barrier Reef.
这是全球的白化现象