暖化的地方
that were getting really warm.
全部一直到北新喀里多尼亚
It’s all of this to the north of New Caledonia
下方还有污点区域都是二级
and below and even these splotch areas are at Level 2.
简直就是珊瑚的灾难
It’s just… nothing short of catastrophic for the coral.
(澳洲)
我们知道 新喀里多尼亚的珊瑚正在白化…
We know now New Caledonia is bleaching.
蜥蜴岛的也是
Lizard Island is bleaching.
所以某方面来说是个简单的决定
I guess it is a simple decision in some ways.
(大堡礁第48天)
我们应该把摄影机移♥动♥到新的地点
We should just pick up and move over, and reset up at those new locations.
问题在于缩时摄影机
The problem is the time-lapse cameras.
要花好几周来移♥动♥这些系统 到时候我们就错过了白化的时间
It’ll take weeks to move those systems, and we’ll have missed the bleaching.
我们得想点别的办法
We’re gonna have to figure something else out.
(大堡礁南部 苍鹭岛)
我关掉电脑,杰夫传了讯息
I went to turn my computer off, and there was this message from Jeff,
问我们多快能打包好
saying, “How soon can you pack?”
(阿克曼 潜水师兼摄影师)
我们要丢弃这些摄影系统
We were gonna abandon these camera systems…
每天在水下手动缩时摄影
and do manual underwater time-lapses every single day.
我想身为一个团队 我们了解没有回头的余地了
I think we, as a team, realized that there was no going back.
我们前往蜥蜴岛
We headed up to Lizard Island,
团队的其他人前往新喀里多尼亚
and the other portion of our team went out to New Caledonia.
(蜥蜴岛、新喀里多尼亚)
(北部大堡礁,蜥蜴岛)
这是最惊人的珊瑚礁了
It’s the most amazing reef.
整个被破坏了
And it’s just demolished.
好热
It’s just so hot.
(水温华氏95 摄氏35)
感觉就像热水浴缸 我得把它捡起来
Like, it literally feels like a bathtub.
有人点一杯大可乐吗?
Anybody order a large Coke?
我们一直在讲珊瑚礁白化
Here we are talking about coral reef bleaching
还有全球气候变迁…
and global climate change…
这里还有另外一个问题
and here’s our other problem.
我们去蜥蜴岛时
When we went to Lizard Island,
我们没有缩时摄影机了
we didn’t have our time-lapse cameras anymore.
我们的点子是 拿着一个三脚架和一台摄影机
[Orlowski] The idea is to take one tripod and one camera,
尽量拍摄各个位置
and get as many shots as we can in as many positions
尽量拍多一点珊瑚 并且每天重复一样的方式
of as many pieces of coral as we can, and to repeat that every single day.
9点15分上船,前往第一个地点
Get on the boat at 9:15, go out to your first site.
然后找到三脚架的标记点
You would find your markings for the tripod,
把每支脚架放在正确的高度
put down each leg at the correct heights,
然后便会有参照点 之后可以加上雷射光线
and then you would have reference points you could then attach the laser beams to,
然后我护贝第一天的照片
and then I had a lamination of the first day’s shots.
接着拍摄两分钟的画面
And then you would take two minutes of footage,
再收拾所有东西
then you’d pick everything back up,
前往下个地点,重复一样的步骤
move onto the next site, and do the same again.
一遍又一遍
And then again and again.
基本上一天重复25遍
And you do that essentially 25 times a day.
我跟杰夫有60个地点
Between Jeff and I, we had 60 sites.
我们建造缩时摄影系统的原因 是因为…
The reason we built the time-lapse systems was it seemed absurd
找人在海滩上多个地点扎营
to have people camped on the beach at multiple locations
并且下水做机器做的事情 感觉很荒谬
and having to go down and do what a machine is designed to do.
执行起来是场恶梦
Logistically, it was a nightmare.
架在正确的位置并且抵挡水流
Getting it in the right position, and you’re fighting the current,
人常常会弹起来
so you’re getting bounced around a lot,
膝盖到处都在流血 身体被割伤、筋疲力尽
your knees are bleeding everywhere, your body is cut up, you’re tired.
It got to the point where you’re spending four hours a day underwater.
有段时间我一天在水中待四小时
开始发生奇怪的事情
Weird things start happening.
不知道是不是很有趣
I don’t know if it’s funny.
这就是…
It’s, uh…
你做你该做的事
You do what you have to do.
(铃木)
我们收到报告 表示新喀里多尼亚的珊瑚
We were getting reports that the corals in New Caledonia
有非常奇特的行为
were doing something completely weird.
(新喀里多尼亚)
理查在那里,他说 “那是我看过最疯狂的东西”
Richard was there, he said, “It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.
“我不知道那是什么”
I don’t know what it is.”
“当地人也不知道是什么”
The locals didn’t know what it was.
我们不知道发生了什么事
We didn’t know what was happening.
我请理查解释
I asked Richard to explain.
他说“不知道要说什么,它在生长”
He’s like, “Don’t know what to tell you. It’s glowing.”
这非常与众不同
This was different.
The corals were… were fluorescing.
珊瑚…发出萤光
它们产生化学遮光剂 保护自己受到高温伤害
They’re producing a chemical sunscreen to protect themselves from the heat.
你甚至无法用言语形容
You can’t even describe it.
那是我见过最鲜明的颜色
They were the most vivid colors I’ve ever seen.
这是大自然最美丽的转变
This is the most beautiful transformation in nature.
美到不可思议的死亡阶段
The incredibly beautiful phase of death.
仿佛是…珊瑚在说…
And it feels as if…it’s the corals saying:
“你看我”
“Look at me.
“拜托注意我”
Please, notice.”
我们每天从漂浮的餐厅潜下水
We were diving every day from a floating restaurant.
第一天还很有趣
That was kind of funny, the first day.
但整个想法越来越让人沮丧
Like, that whole thought just became much more depressing.
有点惊讶
Bit of a shock.
这是大自然最稀奇的现象
This is one of the rarest events in nature happening…
每个人却都浑然不觉
and everyone’s just oblivious to it.
你不能责怪他们 我的意思是,只是…
And you can’t blame them for it. I mean, it’s… It’s just…
人性就是如此
almost typical of all of humanity.
发生这样的现象…
This is going on…
却没有人注意到
and no one is noticing.
我们原先设计某个东西
[Rago] We designed something originally
做这个计划是不带感情的
to do this project without emotions.
当我们开始在蜥蜴岛做手动拍摄时
And when we began doing this manually at Lizard Island…
就开始有了感情
you have the emotional ties to it.
你在水里
You are down there.
坐在那里一个月
And to sit there for a month,
每天都看到身旁昨天才见到的东西
and every single day, watch something new around you die
今天却死去了…
that you saw yesterday…
非常令人难受
it’s just difficult.
(在大堡礁的第107天)
你忘了一开始长什么模样
You forget what it looked like at the beginning.
未来某天回去看的时候
And some days, when you go back,
坐在那里看着
and you’re sitting down there, looking at it now,
一点都不真实
and it doesn’t look real.
你…根本无法接受
And you– It’s not even– You can’t even accept it.
接着你睁开双眼 看到眼前的珊瑚都死光了
And then you open your eyes, and it’s dead as far as you can see.
只有水藻和死掉的珊瑚骨骼
It’s algae and dead coral skeletons.
这是身体,活的组织…逐渐腐烂
It’s flesh. It’s living tissue… that’s rotting away.
真的非常令人作恶
It’s disgusting, really.
(这是我最艰难的潜水体验)
我以为我们会发现白化现象
I thought we would find bleaching.
我以为我们会捕捉到
I thought we would capture it.
但我不觉得自己有准备好…
But I don’t think I ever prepared myself,
或真的认为我们会看到
or thought we were gonna see this.
(最后一天在蜥蜴岛)
我要离开了却一点也不难过 因为在这里很痛苦
See, I’m not even mad that I’m leaving, because it’s just so miserable here.
当珊瑚白化死亡
When coral bleaches and dies…
你就失去了珊瑚这个动物
you’re losing the coral animal.
这很可惜,因为它们很美丽
And that’s a shame, ’cause it’s a beautiful thing.
但珊瑚是…巨大生态系统的基础
But a coral is… a fundamental part of a huge ecosystem.
可以说是森林里的树木
It is, in a way, just like the trees in a forest.
如果没有了珊瑚礁 海洋当中四分之一的生命
If coral reefs are lost, we’re affecting the life
都将受到影响
of a quarter of the ocean.
小鱼会消失,大鱼也会消失
If the little fish disappear, the big fish disappear,
你可以把人类当作是大鱼的一种
and then you can look at humans as one of the big fish.
去思考一个物种的命运很容易
It’s easy to think about the fate of an individual species.
但难以解释的是…
But what is a little harder to explain…
这是整个生态系统…
it’s the beginning of an ecological collapse
崩解的开始
of the entire ecosystem.
不只是种、属、科、目
It’s more than the species, the genus, the family, the order.
我们讲的是整个纲的有机体
We’re talking about the possibility that entire classes of organisms
都可能全部绝种
would go extinct.
(生命树,分类学)
当科学家说 他们在研究气候变迁和珊瑚礁时
When scientists say they’re researching climate change and coral reefs
重点不在于是否真的发生了气候变迁
it’s not about whether or not climate change is happening or not.
重点是…