(理查 摄影师)
predicting where to put a camera down.
我们认为 “必须放在珊瑚白化的地方”
We thought, “We just need to do this wherever the bleaching is happening.”
早安,马克 -午安,理查
Good morning, Mark. – Good afternoon, Richard.
有点…让人沮丧
It’s, uh… getting a little depressing.
是,我看过你的邮件了
Yes. And I’ve read your e-mail,
有关今年初开始的圣婴现象
which was, you know, about the El Niño starting earlier this year.
马克艾肯提供我们工具帮助我们了解
Mark Eakin provided us with the tools to be able to understand
应该前往何处
where we should be going.
我们看到的是…
What we’re looking at is…
我在美国海洋暨大气总署工作
I work for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or NOAA.
(艾肯博士 珊瑚礁监测员)
我们利用卫星测量
We use satellites to look at the sea surface temperatures
导致珊瑚白化的海水表面温度
that cause coral bleaching.
温度可以让我们确定的一件事是…
The one thing the temperatures have shown us, with no question,
海洋温度的确上升了
is the oceans have been warming.
(海水表面温度异常)
海水温度有固定周期
Temperatures in the ocean go through normal cycles.
如果温度维持不变
If the temperature were staying constant,
那些气温变化会接近平均温度
then all those ups and downs would be around that average temperature.
但现在的状况是平均温度已经改变了
But now we’ve reached the point that we’ve changed that average.
高温越来越高
Your warm temperatures keep getting warmer and warmer and warmer.
第一次大规模的白化 发生在1980年代初期
The first widespread bleaching event occurred in the early 1980s.
1997年到1998年 是第一次全球珊瑚白化
’97, ’98, this was the first global-scale mass-bleaching.
(全球首次珊瑚白化)
许多珊瑚白化死亡
A lot of corals bleached, a lot of corals died.
2010年,只过了12年
2010, only 12 years later,
我们看到第二次全球珊瑚白化
we saw the second global-scale mass-bleaching.
(第二次珊瑚白化)
现在只过了五年…
Now, only five years later…
我们已经快见到 第三次全球珊瑚白化了
we’ve got the potential of the third global-scale mass-bleaching event.
基本上现在大约三分之二
Basically, at this point, about two-thirds
西北夏威夷群岛都有一定程度的暖化
of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands are seeing a level of warming
通常都有白化现象
where you’re usually seeing bleaching.
压力等级相当高…
The stress levels are high…
我放大了夏威夷的照片
I’m zooming in on Hawaii,
你可以看到温度…
and you can see here, it’s 4.7 degrees hotter
比一年当中这个时间 高了华氏4.7度
than it should be at this time of year.
然后再看看世界上其他热点…
And you look at some of the other hotspots around the world,
华氏11.3度,高了华氏5度
it’s 11.3 degrees, five degrees hotter,
比正常温度高了华氏8.2度
8.2 degrees hotter than it normally would be.
(南纬0度 西经98度)
地球上到处都有热浪来袭
There’s this big heat wave that’s traveling around the planet,
到哪里就杀死当地的珊瑚
and it’s killing corals wherever it’s going.
我们现在有一小段时间
This is a small window of opportunity that we’ve got right now
可以捕捉白化现象 并且大规模地与其联♥系♥
to be able to capture this bleaching event and communicate it in a massive way.
现在没有插入
There’s no plug in here right now.
通常我们会先对这些摄影机 做实地测试
Normally, we would have done extensive field-testing with these cameras,
毕竟构造相当复杂
given how complicated they were,
但它们必须被放到水中了
but they just needed to be put in the water.
(丹佛国际机场)
有好多袋子
Well, we have a lot of bags.
我不确定机场人员是否会开心
I’m not sure how happy the airport people are gonna be.
外面完全防水
It’s fairly watertight through the exterior.
猜猜看我们在做什么
So, guess what we’re up to right now.
我们正在把水下太阳能板的塑胶刮除
We’re whittling plastic away from the underwater solar panel.
不然无法带上飞机
Otherwise, we can’t take it on the plane.
听好
Listen up. Listen.
99.5
Ninety-nine-point-five.
这样可以吗? -可以
Is that good? -[indistinct chatter]
(海面温度异常)
根据我们 从美国海洋暨大气总署获得的资料
So, based on the data that we got from NOAA,
我们决定把摄影机放在夏威夷 百慕达和巴哈马
we decided to put cameras down in Hawaii, Bermuda and the Bahamas.
(科罗拉多、百慕达 巴哈马、夏威夷)
我们下去探查,找一些地点
We’ll go down, we’ll scout, we’ll find a bunch of spots,
标记全球定位系统的座标
we’ll mark the GPS coordinates.
就在那个角落
It’s right around that corner.
(一号♥摄影机,巴哈马)
这和我以前水肺潜水的经验完全不同
This was completely different from any other scuba diving I’ve done.
(安德鲁 潜水兼摄影师)
和一般的水肺潜水不同
And any other scuba diving that one would normally do.
这是水中建设
This was construction underwater.
处在不适合人类的环境
You’re working in an environment that humans weren’t built for.
你也无法跟团队沟通
You also can’t communicate with your team,
只能用手语
other than through sign language,
我们都不太会
and we are not good at it.
摄影机会装上这个板子
So, the camera gets mounted flush to this. This plate.
可以调整它的高度和角度
We can adjust the height of this and adjust the angle of this.
你处于零重力状态
You’re in zero-gravity.
所以你想把东西放进地面
So, if you’re trying to get leverage to put something into the ground,
你办不到,因为你漂浮着
you don’t have that. You’re floating, you’re buoyant.
(三号♥摄影机 夏威夷)
(当心)
(四号♥摄影机 夏威夷)
是雷声吗? -那是天气警告
Is that thunder? -[man 1] That’s a weather alert.
-我听到爆裂声 -那是…对
是静电吗?
I hear a crackling sound. -[man 1] That’s– Yeah.
Is that static?
我希望那不是闪电… -天啊,是闪电
I hope that’s not lightning– -Oh, my God. That’s lightning.
-Do you hear that? -Yes, I hear it in my microphone.
你听到了吗? -听到了,我从我麦克风听到
I think you should probably turn the cameras off. I don’t know.
我觉得你应该把摄影机关掉,不知道
Can we get the metal thing down?
可以把那金属拿下来吗?
我不想碰
I kind of don’t wanna touch it.
因为外面有真空密封的玻璃圆球
Because of this vacuum-sealed glass dome,
我们无法改变摄影机的任何设定
we couldn’t actually change any of the settings inside on the cameras.
所以他们连接这条电缆 到船上的盒子里
So, they attach this wire going to a box on the boat on the surface.
有条缆线连接水下的固定装置
You have a cable attached to a stationary device underwater
插入非常精密的装备
and it’s plugged into a very delicate piece of equipment.
成功,装好了
Boom, we’re in.
来看看今天能不能用
Now let’s see if this is gonna behave today.
你可以坐在船上拿着平板
And you can sit there on the boat with a tablet
调整设定
and you can adjust the settings
看到水下摄影机的动静
and you can see what the camera is doing underwater.
小心这条缆线,我们…
Um, watch this cable. Are we…?
可以让我们靠近一点吗?
Can you move us closer?
我很紧张
I’m just nervous–
缆线太紧了
The slack is getting too tight!
拿着
Hold it.
拿下来给我
Hand it down to me.
我们被风打败了 因为艉锚无法固定
The wind just took us. The stern anchor didn’t hold.
我们在漂流
We’re just drifting.
真糟糕
Bummer.
淹水了?
It flooded?
那也会让缆线坏掉
That’s gonna go down the cable, too.
有些事…
Something…
好,我们来看看
All right, so, let’s take a look.
基本上里面 已经进了几毫米的水
So, basically you got a few millimeters of water in there.
可能泼到了某个电气连接上
Probably splashed on an electrical connection,
烧断了12伏特的保险丝,没关系 -的确烧断了12伏特的保险丝
blew the 12-volt fuse. You’ll be fine. -[Rago] It did blow the 12-volt.
这就是现在的情况
Here is what that’s looking like at the moment.
我们试图把它拆开来清理
We’ve kind of tore her apart to access her and attempt to clean.
我的天啊,看看那惨状,好
Jiminy Cricket, look at that mess. Okay.
我们没问题的
We’re gonna be just fine.
基本上我要你…直接从电池把12伏特…
I basically would like you to take 12 volts directly from the battery…
(三号♥摄影机,夏威夷)
好,我们再试一次看看
All right, let’s give this one more try.
好,全部下去
All right. Here goes everything.
有消息吗?
[Rago] Do we have a new message?
我们成功了
We’re good. Oh.
我们连上了
Ah! We’re connected.
(四号♥摄影机,夏威夷)
看起来真迷人,你看
That does look killer. Look at that!
真是太棒了,兄弟
That is brilliant, man.
我的电脑有一个资料夹
I have a file on my computer.
好,我们成功了 -什么?
All right, we’re done. -What?
成功了 -成功了
We’re done. -We’re done.
太棒了
Yeah.
我现在好开心
Oh, I’m so happy right now.
真是太酷了
This is awesome.
在那之后 能做的就只有等待了