Talkies! Talkies!
我们帮你把照片放大了
This is it, sir. We’ve enlarged it for you.
我还是不能认出他
I still can’t make him out.
你们有身份确认吗?
Have you got a positive identification?
这是霍金斯 先生 共♥产♥党的劳工领袖
Oh, yes. No doubt, sir. It is Hawkins, sir. The red labor leader.
在工作室拜访他
Visiting him at the studios.
我们怎样才能让 他们意识到危险?
How can we make them realize the danger?
我告诉过他 面对面地说 “你会毁掉这个国家”
I told him that once, face to face, “You can damage this country.”
他还是不明白
He didn’t get it.
这个女孩多大?
How old is this one?
嗯,先生,关键是她未成年
Well, sir, she’s underage is all that matters.
我们可以以诱♥奸♥罪起诉他
When the baby’s born, we can go after him for statutory rape.
丑闻会令他身败名裂
A scandal like that would destroy him.
我欣赏你的热忱
I appreciate your zeal, Mr. Seeley,
但是查理和格蕾小姐 昨天在墨西哥城结婚了
but Chaplin and Miss Grey were married in Mexico yesterday.
如果他只是跟她们上♥床♥ 事情就好办多了!
If only he’d just sleep with them. Everything would be so much easier.
但是… 我们还是会尽全力
Still, we must do what we can.
丽塔是你第二任妻子
Lita was your second wife, okay?
她为你生了两个孩子
She gave you two sons, whom you adored.
这本书超过500页
This book is over 500 pages long.
但是关于她的只有五句话 为什么?
Yet, you only devote five lines to her. Why?
我恨那个婊♥子♥
I hated the bitch.
哦,得了吧,她还只是个孩子。
Oh, come on, she was hardly more than a child.
当然,这不可能都是她的错。
It can’t all have been her fault, surely.
乔治,她是个人格有缺陷的人
George, she was a profoundly flawed human being.
好吧,我们必须谈谈这个问题,查理。
Well, we’ve got to deal with the problem, Charlie.
你娶了她 你这一生都在和未成年少女上♥床♥
You married her. All your life, you’ve bedded down with the babies.
读者想知道为什么
Your readers will want to understand.
她在不到一年的时间里 生下两个男孩 你当时在做什么?
Where were you when she gave birth to those two boys less than a year apart?
你知道我在哪里
You know where I was.
拍一部叫做“淘金记”的电影
I happened to be making a little film called The Gold Rush.
你跟我们其他人一样 也是有污点的
You’re a flawed human being, Charles, just like the rest of us.
只是 你要面对它
Only, you have to address it. That’s all.
我是说 为什么我们现在是在瑞士
I mean, why are we here?
而不是加利佛尼亚谈论这些?
Why are we talking in Switzerland and not in Southern California? Hmm?
你的言论
不只是因为你的事业 查理
It wasn’t just the parlor pink business, Charlie,
是你的言论最终帮了你
or the speeches or the donations that finally did you that
或者是让你流亡的那笔捐赠
turned you into an exile, you know what I mean?
不
Nah.
你知道是什么吧? – 什么
You know what it was, don’t you? – What?
性
Sex.
性
Sex.
是的 性
Yes. Sex.
这很奇怪 我见到任何女人
It’s odd, you know, but I don’t think I’ve ever looked at a woman
都会考虑我们之间的可能性
without measuring that possibility between us.
同时 我并不是太感兴趣
At the same time, I’m not all that interested.
尤其是工作的时候
Never during work.
我猜只有在我不工作的时候 我才会变得…
I suppose it was only when I wasn’t working, that I was
软弱
vulnerable.
你为什么不写下来?
Well, why don’t you write about that vulnerability?
如果你想了解我
If you want to understand me,
就看我的电影
watch my movies.
好吧 阳光男孩
All right, sonny boy
告诉你哥哥现在是什么问题?
tell your poor little brother today’s problem.
跟昨天一样
Same as yesterday and the day before that and the day before that.
还有前天 以及前天之前
And the day before that, and the day before that.
很好 你真有创意
All right. You be creative for a change!
男主角从女孩那里买♥♥了一朵花
The Tramp buys a flower from the girl.
根据剧情 她要觉得他很有钱
In order for the plot to work, she has to think he’s rich.
就这样
That’s all.
可是 这女孩是个瞎子
Except, as you’re aware, the flower girl is blind.
我不知道如何让她 把他当成一个百万富翁
I don’t know how to make a blind girl mistake The Tramp for a millionaire.
很简单
Easy.
我们照其他人那样做
We’ll do what everyone else is doing.
乔!
Joe!
让演员讲话
We’ll have the actors talk.
乔瑟夫 克伯 维大风 (利用唱片录放音的有声电影系统)
Joseph Curb, Vitaphone.
你好 先生 – 你好 乔
Hello, sir. – Oh, hello, Joe.
对不起 我们正在讨论家族事务
It’s not your fault, son. You’re in the middle of a family feud.
你来决定什么是对的 戴礼帽的人不能讲话!
Now, you decide who’s right. The Tramp can’t talk.
他开口讲话的一刻 就是他的死期
The minute he talks, he’s dead.
告诉我 我说得对
Tell me I’m right.
他不能 因为你错了
He can’t, because you’re wrong.
谁会花钱看你的表演
Who the hell is gonna pay to see you
当其他人都在看有声电影?
when everybody else has gone over to sound?
我告诉你谁会看
Who? I’ll tell you who.
日本人和俄♥国♥人
The Japanese, for one thing, and the Russkies for another.
那些不说英语的人
And anyone else who doesn’t happen to speak English.
你忘记了地球其余 9/10的地方了吗?
Or have you forgotten about the other nine-tenths of the globe?
对 我想我要让你看看
All right, I guess I’ll have to show you.
世界上最著名的 芭蕾舞演员是谁?
Who’s the most famous ballet dancer in the world?
不好意思?
Pardon?
世界上最著名的芭蕾舞演员?
The most famous ballet dancer in the world!
尼金斯基
Nijinsky.
很好 让我们想象一下今天 他在表演“天鹅湖”
Fine. So let’s say that he was doing Swan Lake today
我们去观看
and we all went to see it.
他走到舞台前
And he came down to the footlights.
管弦乐停止了
And the orchestra stopped.
他说“嗨 我是维斯拉夫 尼金斯基”
And he said, “Hi folks, I’m Vaslav Nijinsky.”
不 要用俄♥国♥口音来讲
No, he’d have a Russian accent.
“嗨 观众们 叫我维斯拉夫尼金斯基 叫我维斯就行了”
“Hi, folksies. Call me Vaslav Nijinsky. Sky, sky, sky.
“我不介意”
“Oh, just call me Vas. It doesn’t matter. It’s okay by me.
“一切都太美好了”
“Everything is wonderful in California.
“今天我会为你们跳芭蕾”
“Okay, today I’m going to jump up and down for you
你们从未见过的表演
“like nothing what you’ve ever seen before.
“希望你们喜欢我”
“Hope you for to like me. Bye.”
他跳舞的时候会怎样?
You know what would happen when he danced?
会很糟糕 因为魔法消失了
It would be awful.Because the magic is gone.
戴礼帽的人也是一样
Just as it would be with The Tramp.
告诉他 我说得对
Tell me I’m right.
作为有声电影的工作人员 我不得不说 你说错了
I’m in the word business, Mr. Chaplin, so I have to say that you’re wrong.
但是很高兴见到你
But I’m sure as hell glad I got a chance to meet you.
回见 – 舞跳得很捧
See you. – Enjoyed the dancing.
是的 谈话也是
Yeah. And the talking.
送克伯回去他的公♥司♥
Take Mr. Curb back to his office. Will you, Rollie?
罗利!让他们都回来 西德 我们开始拍摄!
Rollie! Get them all back. Syd, we’re in business!
怎样让盲人女孩错把戴礼帽的男人当成一个富翁?
How does a blind girl mistake The Tramp for a millionaire?
当她听见富人的车门关上
When she hears the door slam on a rich man’s car.
她误以为那是他的车
She thinks The Tramp’s the owner.
放松
Easy.
你就知道该怎样做了
When you know how.
查理 西德尼 这里 扔给爸爸
Charlie! Sydney! Over here! Throw it to Dad.
男孩们!
Boys!
男孩们!我把你们的皮球拿去地窖
Boys! I’m taking your ball down to the cellar.
可是我没看见任何楼梯啊
I don’t see any stairs.
妈咪来了 你们该走了!
Mum’s here. Off you go now!
妈咪来了
Your mummy’s here. Ready?
下个周末见 去吧!
I’ll see you next weekend, okay? Come on, off you go!
去吧!嘿,孩子们!
Off you go! Hey, boys!
看开一点 卓别林先生
It can’t be as bad as all that, Mr. Chaplin.
我认识你吗? 我怎么会不认识你呢?
Do I know you? And why don’t I?
我叫波莱特勒维
I’m Paulette Levy.
要喝一杯吗? 莱维小姐
Hmm. Would you like a drink, Miss Levy?
我已经有了
I already have one.
一件皮衣怎么样?
How about a fur coat?
好吧…
Well…
你看上去有点冷
No, seriously. You look hungry.
谢谢
Thank you.
你是女演员吗?
Actress?
如果你看B级电影 而且不眨眼睛
If you watch the B-movies and don’t blink.