Close, but out.
这是一个29岁的年轻人吗?
And these facts show a young man, of what, 29?
不是传统意义上的英俊 但是肯定也不难看
Not perhaps conventionally handsome, but certainly not repellent.
真会说话
Flatteringly put.
两次发球失误 我真走运
Double fault. Lucky me.
一个名利双收 而且不缺乏天赋的家伙
Yes, an unrepellant fellow of some fame and fortune, not totally without talent.
准备好了吗?
Ready?
但是你为什么不把 才华放在电影里
If only you’d put one in play.
看球
Call this one out.
急什么? 我就要赢了
Don’t have to, I’m winning.
该死
Damn.
他在跟谁约会?
And who is this fellow escorting?
米尔德丽德哈里斯
Why, Mildred Harris?
一个16岁的大孩子 还在吮她的大拇指
That intellectual giant of 16 who still sucks her thumb.
非常有趣
That’s very funny.
那你为什么不笑?
Then why aren’t you laughing?
因为我要娶她
Perhaps because I’m marrying her.
她并没有那么糟糕
She’s really not that bad.
没有那么糟糕?
“Really not that bad”?
这是一个恋爱中的人说的话吗?
Spoken like a man desperately in love.
你比我想象中的还要疯狂
You’re madder even than I thought, Charles.
你真的想这样做?
You sure it’s yours?
我只能祈祷
I can only hope.
有很多办法摆脱这个麻烦 有钱就行了
There are ways of getting out of this. You know, all it takes is money.
我的地位不允许我做这种事
Where I come from, that’s not an option.
另外 我想有一个家
Besides, I want a family and…
很可能你还没有意识到 就已经结婚了
I predict you’re going to have one before you know it.
我应该恭喜你吗?
May I be the first to congratulate you?
不用!
You may not!
好球!
Good!
你没有怀疑过米尔德丽德吗?
You didn’t suspect about Mildred?
从来没有
Not for a moment.
那你为什么不把这个写进去?
Well, why don’t you add that? Put that in?
我永远不会忘记 那晚玛丽对我说的话
I’ll never forget the night Mary told me the truth.
我们当时在庆祝 第一次世界大战的结束
We were celebrating the end of the First World War.
我第一次遇见杰 埃德加 胡佛
And I met J. Edgar Hoover for the first time.
你应该说明那是
Then I think you should make it clear
他成为FBI局长之前
that this was before he became head of the FBI.
请容许我继续 赫斯特先生
If I may continue, Mr. Hearst.
我们太慷慨了
We’re too generous.
我们太开放
We’re too open.
如果我们不小心
Now, if we don’t watch out
如果我们不施行 一些新的政策
if we don’t take steps now to impose some new discipline, some decency,
我们会有麻烦 大♥麻♥烦
then we’re in trouble. Deep trouble.
我知道现在不应该说这样的话
I know it’s not fashionable to say this.
我们正在庆祝休战 大家都认为战争结束了
We’re celebrating. Everyone thinks it’s over.
但是民♥主♥政♥治♥的代价太大了
But democracy carries a price tag. -Hear, hear.
我认为我们最盲目的承诺
And I just happen to think that one of the most misguided promises we ever made
就是自♥由♥女神像底座 上刻着的条款
was inscribed on the base of the Statue of Liberty.
我敢预言 它会给这个国家带来麻烦
One that I predict will lead this country into all kinds of trouble.
“把你们的贫困交予我们 劳苦大众”
“Give us your poor, your huddled masses.”
我们必须在局势 恶化之前停止这一切
Now, we have to stop this before it goes too far.
我们美国的观念不包括…
Our conception of America does not include,
从来不包括这样的糟粕
was never meant to include, this kind of scum.
原谅我们年轻的朋友 他的艺术家性情
You will have to forgive our famous, young friends, the artistic temperament.
你所说的很重要
But what you’re saying is important, very important.
我们在为那些被 世界抛弃的废物提供庇护
Right now we are giving sanctuary to the refuse of the world.
左翼分子想把我们拖垮
All kinds of left-wing intellectuals who’d like nothing more than to bring us down.
你是不是有点言过其词?
Don’t you think you’re overstating?
不 我没有
No, sir. I do not.
你们这些人意识到 你们所肩负的责任了吗?
And I sometimes wonder if you people realize the responsibility you carry.
在我看来 电影是有史以来
To my way of thinking,motion pictures are, potentially
最具影响力的交流方式
the most influential form of communication ever invented.
而它还没有得到有效的控制
And there’s no control over them.
你们表达的信息 会传递到世界上每一个角落
Your message reaches everyone, everywhere.
信息?
Message?
当然
Of course.
卓别林先生有上百万的影迷
Mr. Chaplin here reaches millions who only have to see.
当他们看见我们的 移♥民♥服务遭到奚落
And when they see a mockery being made of our immigration services,
我认为那就是一个信息
I call that a message.
确实
Yes. Well
正如你所说 胡佛先生 电影是为了人♥民♥大众
as you’ve already said, Mr. Hoover, motion pictures are for the people.
大多数人辛勤工作 但是得不到应有的报酬
Most of the people work for a living and they don’t make much money doing it.
他们乐意看见官方人士 和上层阶级被丑♥化♥
It gives them pleasure to see officialdom and the upper classes getting a kick up the backside.
以前如此 将来也是如此
Always has and it always will.
如果那可以让一切变得更好
And if that can change things, so much the better.
更好
Better.
他又进步了
He’s improving.
但是电影让你发了财
But motion pictures have made you rich, Mr. Chaplin.
当然
They sure have.
你的电影事业怎么样
What about your own motion picture career, Mrs. Chaplin?
我认为你处理得很好 – 什么
I think you’ve handled it all wonderfully. -What?
米尔德尔德
Mildred.
怀孕的事?
The pregnancy?
人人都知道你在避孕
Everyone knows you’ve been conned, Charlie.
米尔德尔德
Mildred.
不好意思 赫斯特先生 我明天要很早起床
Please excuse us, Mr. Hearst. I have to be up very early.
当然 – 我们走 亲爱的
Yes, of course. -Come along, my dear.
很高兴见到你
It’s been a pleasure.
晚安
Good night.
你从此跟他结怨了
You made an enemy there, Charlie.
你认为那是故意针对你吗?
Was it personal, do you think?
针对我? 可能吧
Personal? Maybe.
我可以确定他认为 我是共♥产♥主义者
But I’m sure he really did believe I was a communist.
我不是 我只是一个人♥权♥主义者
I wasn’t, of course. I was simply a humanist.
他还认为你是犹太人
He also believed you were a Jew.
有时我很难否认这一点 主要是因为西德
Something I’ve rarely troubled to deny, mainly because of Syd.
他有一半犹太血统 我们是同母异父的兄弟
He’s half-Jewish, as you know. Same mother, different fathers.
我猜怀孕事件导致了 你跟米德丽德分手
I suppose the false pregnancy was the beginning of the end with Mildred.
你又迟到了 我差点先睡了
You’re awful late again, Charlie. I’d almost given up on you.
开玩笑
Funny.
有时我觉得我就要步入正轨了
Sometimes I feel I’m so close to getting it right,
但结果还是不行
it slips away.
你已经为了那部电影 忙了好几个月了
You’ve been editing that film for months.
很可能还需要几个月
Will be for months, more than likely.
跟过去以往不同
Not like the old days.
那些快乐的日子
The good times.
快乐的日子? 已经结束了吗?
The good times? Are they over?
你想让我走吗?
Do you want me to leave?
不
No.
我走
I’ll leave.
你难道不恨我吗?
Why aren’t you more bitter towards her?
偷走我的电影不是她的主意
Stealing my movie wasn’t her idea.
可怜的笨小孩 我怀疑她会不会写 “主意”这两个字
Oh! Poor child was so stupid, I’m not sure she could even spell the word “idea.”
查理?
Charlie?
查理 醒醒!
Charlie, wake up!
查理 – 怎么了
Charlie! – What?
快起来
Wake up. Quick.
他们想查封电影 – 谁
They’re trying to seize the film. -Who?
洗把脸 醒醒
Just go and wash your face and wake up, will you?
你亲爱的小新娘 她的离婚律师说电影也是资产
That sweet child bride of yours, well, her divorce lawyers have informed her it’s an asset.
资产? – 是的
An asset? -Yes.
罗利 我老婆
So, I’ve got Rollie, the wife
还有40卷胶片都在车上 我们走 – 好
and 40 cans of film in the car. Come on. -Okay.
等我们离开美国
Once we’re over the state line
就完成电影的剪辑
we keep you under wraps till we finish cutting the film.
你把裤子穿反了
Charlie, you’ve got your pants on back to front.
很好
Yeah, yeah. It’s good.
开始动了
It moves now.
我真的喜欢那个孩于
I really do love that kid.
那个底片在哪里 西德?