Are you going to attend the McCarthy hearing?
绅士们 绅士们 – 卓别林先生
Gentlemen. Gentlemen, please. -Mr. Chaplin…
卓别林先生说过 如果他们要求 他一定会出席
Mr. Chaplin has repeatedly said he’ll go whenever they call him.
乔瑟夫麦卡锡议员
And even… Even if there were only one communist in the state department,
就算议会里只有一个共♥产♥党人
even if there were only one communist in the state department,
我们也不能允许
that would still be one communist too many.
劳森先生 你是否是共♥产♥主义者
Mr. Lawson, are you a member of the Communist Party
或者你是否曾经 加入共♥产♥主义团体?
or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?
不幸的是我要让委员会知道
It’s unfortunate and tragic that I have to teach this committee
基本的美国主义原则的悲剧 这不是问题所在。
the basic principles of Americanism That’s not the question.
这不是问题所在。
That’s not the question.
问题在于你曾经是不是共♥产♥党的一员
The question is, have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?
我不能回答这个问题 就像任何美国人
I’m framing my answer in the only way in which any American citizen
被问及触犯他们 人♥权♥的问题一样…
can frame his answer to a question which absolutely invades his…
那你是拒绝回答这个问题 对吗?
Then you refuse to answer that question, is that correct?
我说过 我会把我的信仰…
I have told you that I will offer my beliefs…
我写过美国主义…
I have written Americanism… -Stand away from the stand!
…很多年了,我会继续 – 从审讯台下去
…for many years and I shall continue… -Stand away from the stand!
我在为《权利和自♥由♥法案》 抗争!
…to fight for the Bill of Rights which you are seeking to destroy.
长官 把他从审讯台上带下去!
Officer, take this man away from the stand.
我想离开这里一段时问
I’d love to get away for a while, darling.
或许等我生下孩子 我们就走
Maybe after this bundle arrives we could take the children and go.
先生
Sir.
先生
Sir.
我们刚收到消息 卓别林离开美国去伦敦度假
We’ve just got word. Chaplin’s off to London on vacation.
卓别林先生在哪里?
Where did you leave Mr. Chaplin?
他一个人在船尾 – 妈妈
We left him back there at the stern. – Mummy.
没事的 亲爱的
It’s all right, darling.
查理
Charlie.
查理
Charlie.
怎么了 宝贝?
What? What is it, sweetheart?
西德出事了吗?
Is it Syd?
不是
No.
怎么了?
What is it?
他们把你赶出来了
They’ve thrown you out.
赶出来? 赶出哪里?
Thrown me out? Thrown me out of what?
美国
Of America.
我太抱歉了
I’m so sorry.
我不能再回去 – 不
I can’t go back? -No.
查理
Charlie.
被驱逐后过了很长 一段痛苦的日子
There are nights it’s still hard being in exile.
现在他们肯定不会再 拒绝给你签证
I’m sure they wouldn’t refuse you a visa now, Charles.
想过回去吗?
Have you never thought of going back?
我们进去吧 – 我要的东西都在这里了
Why don’t we all go inside? – I have everything I need right here.
天气太冷了 – 我喜欢寒冷的天气
But it’s cold. -I like the cold.
反正我始终要走 – 电♥话♥
I have to go anyway. -Telephone.
我听到了 谢谢
Charlie, I heard the first three rings, thank you.
不 乔治 回答你刚才的问题 我已经习惯了邀请
No, George, in answer to your question. I’m used to invitations.
我们度过了漫长的一天
Well, it’s been a long day, Charlie.
你一定很累了
Yes. You must be very tired.
得了 乔治 一次完成吧
Come on, George, finish it off.
问号♥
The question mark.
那是什么?
What’s it all about?
你是说这个?
You mean that?

Yes.
这是一个私事 没有关系
Well, it was a personal matter, really. Nothing relevant.
告诉我
Tell me.
好吧
All right.
精神病
The madness.
我在想 它对你有影响吗?
I just wondered, how much did it affect you?
你为什么会这样问?
What makes you think it did?
你母亲神智失常 – 嗯
Well, your mother was certified insane… -Yes.
你祖母也是 还有…
…and your grandmother was certified insane as well, and…

Yes.
那个疾病没有缠上我 乔治
That’s not what dogged me, George. It wasn’t that.
应该说…
It was…
如果你跟我一样 靠扮演小丑为生
It was the knowledge that if you did what I did for a living, if you were a clown,
你有兴趣讲述一个故事
and you had a passion to tell a particular kind of story,
任何事
something
之外的
beyond,
你只有一次机会恰当地完成它
but you only have the one chance to get it right.
而我从来都做不到
And I never did.
从来没有 但是你知道
One never does. But you know that.
不是那个问题
That’s not the problem.
你觉得自己差一点就可以
It’s when you feel you’re getting really close
但是你不行
but you can’t make it the rest of the way.
你很优秀 但是你不够完整
You’re not good enough. You’re not complete enough.
除去你所有的幻想
And despite all your fantasies,
你只是一个二流的演员
you’re second-rate.
查理
Charlie.
这就是人
Human.
这很困难
That’s very hard.
为什么不写上去?
Why didn’t you add that?
这真的不重要
It’s not important, really.
人们始终因为你做过的事而评价你
End of the day, you’re not judged by what you didn’t do,
而不是因为你没有做过什么
but by what you did.
我没有改变任何东西 我只是…
And I didn’t change things, I just…
他只是…
He just
让别人开心
cheered people up.
那也不错
Not bad, that.
查理?
Charlie?
查理?
Charlie?
查理 亲爱的
Charlie, dear.
我梦见我在回答乔治的问题
I dreamed I was answering questions for George. Silly.
加利佛尼亚那边又打电♥话♥来了 他们在等你的答复
Charlie, that was California calling again. You really do have to give them an answer.
他们花了我20年来决定我可以…
No. They took 20 years to make up their mind,
再过一个下午 – 够了 够了!
I can take another afternoon. -Enough. Enough!
如果他们还恨我呢
What if they still hate me?
洛杉矶 第44届奥斯卡颁奖典扎
Live from Los Angeles, the 44th annual Academy Awards presentation.
我猜他们在砸东西了
Suppose they start throwing things.
那倒是个好故事
Now that would be a story.
舞台上… 你永远不知道会发生什么
You never know on the stage.
我可以想象明天报纸上的标题 “奥斯卡奖出现惊人事件”
Hmm, I can see the headlines now. “Amazing Incident At Academy Awards.
“卓别林缺席奥斯卡颁奖典礼”
“Chaplin Disappears Under Avalanche Of Oscars.”
是沃尔特
Mr. Walter Matthau.
看 是沃尔特
Oh, look, darling, it’s Walter.
这让你开心吗?
Does that make you happy?
不 – 生气
No. – Crabby.
我不应该同意让他们 播放电影片段
Oh, I should never have let them show those film clips. I never…
人们会认为它们过时了
People won’t like them. They’ll think they’re old.
它们确实过时了 有一些已经超过50年了
Well, they are old. Well over 50 years, some of them.
你知道衰老最糟糕的是什么吗
You know the worst thing about age,
你不能保护自己
you can’t defend yourself.
当我年轻英俊 充满权利的时候
When I was young, handsome, had my power,
我可以拍电影 引他们发笑 或者哭泣
if they came after me, I’d make a movie and make them laugh and I’d make them cry.
现在 我要靠他们的怜悯
Now I’m at their mercy.
进来 – 走开
Come in. – Go away.
我们准备好了 卓别林先生
We’re ready for you, Mr. Chaplin.
这是奥斯卡的重要时刻
This is a historic milestone in the life of the Academy.
表现好点
Behave yourself.
现在有请奥斯卡主席 丹尼尔塔拉达什先生
I would like to present the President of the Academy, Mr. Daniel Taradash.
记住奥斯卡主席的名字 丹尼尔塔拉达什
Now remember, the President of the Academy, Mr. Daniel Taradash.
塔拉达什? -是的
Taradash? -Yes.
听起来像是一种香料
Sounds like a spice.
题铭上写着“献给查理卓别林
The inscription reads, “To Charles Chaplin,
他无可磨灭的努力让电影成为
“for the incalculable effect he has had in making motion pictures
这个世纪的艺术形式”
“the art form of this century.
“幽默提高了我们对生存的感受 保全了我们的心智”
“Humor heightens our sense of survival and preserves our sanity.”
这是查理卓别林说的
These are the words of Charlie Chaplin.
卓别林作为一个演员 作家 导演
The abiding elements of Chaplin’s artistic conscience
所具备的艺术道德感

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!