意思是他不能跟任何人说话,你也不能跟他说话。
It means he can’t talk to anybody, and you can’t talk to him.
你只要假装他不存在就行了。
You just have to pretend he doesn’t exist.
如果他想跟你说话,你得向老师报告。
And if he tries to talk to you, you have to report it to a master.
他做了什么?
What did he do?
我不知道。他是新来的。这是所有。
I don’t know. He’s a fresh kid. That’s all.
然后亚瑟王对贝德维尔爵士说
“Then spake King Arthur to Sir Bedivere
“从我的牌子上把你带过去吧,埃克斯卡利伯
“Take thou there from my brand, Excalibur
“然后把它扔到海里去
“And fling him far into the middle mere
“当心你所看到的,轻轻地给我捎个信来
“Watch what thou seest and lightly bring me word
大胆的贝德维尔爵士回答说。
“To him replied the bold Sir Bedivere”
-贝德维尔先生说了什么?-这就是我要承诺的,先生
– Well, what did Sir Bedivere say? – That’s all I was supposed to commit, sir.
十行。
Ten lines.
有人知道贝德维尔爵士是怎么回答的吗?我们明天就知道了。
Does anybody know what Sir Bedivere replied? We’ll have to find out tomorrow.
我知道他说了什么,先生。
I know what he said, sir.
考文垂的人在下课后不说话。
Persons in Coventry do not speak after a class is dismissed.
有点好笑的是艾迪在他住的地方停了下来。
Kind of funny about Eddie stopping where he did.
是的。是的,它是。
Yes. Yes, it was.
我想我有权看一看,不是吗?
I guess I got a right to look at it, haven’t I?
你拿到旧报纸的唯一原因是我给你的。
The only reason you got your old paper was ’cause I got it for you.
你真让我恶心。
You make me sick.
打别人不是在跟他说话,对吧?
Punching somebody isn’t speaking to him, is it?
不。
No.
你只要说他想和你断绝关系就行了。
All you got to do is say he tried to break Coventry with you.
有些人会花很长时间去学习一些东西。
Takes some people an awful long time to learn something.
-如果你想回去的话,只需要10美元。-我再也不回去了。
– It’ll only cost $10 if you want to go back. – I’m never going back.
——为什么,儿子。发生了什么事?-我刚到这儿。
– Why, Son. What’s happened? – I just got here.
我想我还好吧。
I’m all right, I guess.
你的腿怎么了?
What’s the matter with your leg?
哦,没关系,我只是有点扭伤了。
Oh, it’s all right, I just sprained it a little.
在这里,在这里。坐下来。
Here, here. Sit down.
什么事,谢恩先生?请沃尔什医生进来
– Yes, Mr. Cheyne? – Ask Dr. Walsh to come in.
噢,我不需要医生,爸爸。
Oh, I don’t need a doctor, Father.
-这是怎么回事?焦油?-是印刷机上的墨水。
– What’s all this? Tar? – It’s ink from the printing press.
我有点受不了了。我离开学校。
A little of it got on me. I left school.
迪克,我希望你能看看我这孩子是否还好。
Dick, I wish you’d see if this boy of mine is all right.
-好吧,好吧,儿子。打过架吗?-我逃跑的时候摔倒了。
– Well, well, son. Been in a fight? – I fell down trying to escape.
看看你的右腿。
Take a look at that right leg.
-你想逃跑是什么意思?-现在不疼了。
– What do you mean trying to escape? – It doesn’t hurt now.
-你能在上面走吗?——是的,先生。
– Can you walk on it? – Yes, sir.
那只是一种暗示或别的什么。
It was just a lingament or something.
我想你会挺过去的。
I think you’ll pull through.
-他怎么了?-我正在想办法。
– What happened to him? – I’m trying to find out.
你为什么说你逃跑了,哈维
Why do you say you escaped, Harvey?
因为他们把我关在学校里。没人能和我说话。
Because they had me prisoner at the school. Nobody could talk to me.
-我猜他们害怕我说话。-谁害怕了?
– I guess they were scared I would talk. – Who was scared?
老泰勒和他们所有人。
That old Tyler and all of them.
-老泰勒是谁?-他是个大♥师♥。
– Who’s old Tyler? – He’s a master.
他不让我接近水牛,还接受了贿赂。
He kept me out of the Buffaloes and took a bribe.
——什么贿赂?-我圣诞节给了他50美元…
– What bribe? – I gave him $50 at Christmas…
让历史考试更容易。
to make the history exam easier.
昨天我发现他不是我的朋友。
And yesterday I found out he wasn’t a friend of mine.
他把它修好了,所以我不能告诉任何人。-让我把事情搞清楚,孩子。
– He fixed it so as I couldn’t tell anyone. – Let me get this straight, Son.
你是说老师让你给了他50美元吗?
Do you mean to say that a teacher let you give him $50?
——是的。-然后把你关起来…
– Yes. – And then locked you up…
因为你威胁说要告诉我?
because you threatened to tell about it?
是的,在地下室。我不得不奋力一搏。
Yes, in the basement. I had to fight my way out.
天哪,这是什么学校?-康涅狄格的格林希尔。
– Good heavens, what school is this? – Green Hill, Connecticut.
-芬利博士知道这件事吗?-他当然有。
– Does Dr. Finley know about this? – Sure he does.
他也在努力保密。
He’s trying to keep it quiet, too.
他害怕是因为你给了学校那么多。
He’s scared because you gave so much to the school.
芬利医生今晚要来我家,这很重要。
It’s very important that Dr. Finley be at my house this evening.
-我也想见那个老师泰勒——是的,先生。
– I also want to see that teacher, Tyler. – Yes, sir.
也许你不应该和他们有任何关系,爸爸。
Maybe you oughtn’t have anything at all to do with them, Father.
你还是让我来处理吧,孩子。
You just let me handle this, Son.
我敢说他们一定是编造了一些可怕的谎言。
I bet they make up some awful lies about it.
我必须指出他有大笔钱可以支配。
I must point out the extraordinary sums of money that he’s had at his disposal.
这对一个小男孩来说是一大笔钱。
Very large sums for a small boy.
嗯,男孩被弄糊涂了……
Well, the boy was confused…
当他走进我的办公室时,他感到不知所措,甚至有些害怕。
bewildered, almost terrified when he came into my office.
您只是说我给了他过多的零用钱……
Your mere assertion that I give him overlarge sums of spending money…
似乎没有任何理由证明这种严厉的对待……
in no way seems to justify the severe treatment…
很明显,他受到了这样的影响
to which he’s obviously been subjected.
谢恩先生,哈维受到的“严厉对待”不是来自教职工。
Mr. Cheyne, Harvey’s “severe treatment” came from no member of the faculty.
我告诉过你他企图贿赂泰勒先生。顺便说一下,这是50美元。
I’ve told you of his attempt to bribe Mr. Tyler. Here’s the $50, by the way.
这背后隐藏着一长串的违规行为…
Behind that lies a long list of infractions…
基于他的态度,他是一个特殊的,有特权的角色。
based on his attitude that he’s a special, privileged character.
他试图反抗考文垂的正常、健康的纪律……
His attempt to resist the normal, healthy discipline of being put into Coventry…
没有给我们带来进一步的纪律。
brought no further discipline from us.
但他的一个同伴却狠狠地打了他的鼻子一拳。
But it did bring him a solid bash on the nose from one of his fellows.
我很遗憾地说,这是一个打击,其他120个男孩中的任何一个……
It was a blow, I am sorry to say, that any one of the other 120 boys…
就会很高兴在学校里传递。
in the school would have been glad to deliver.
哦。
Oh.
嗯,如果是这样的话……
Well, in that case…
-喝点咖啡,芬利博士——谢谢。
– have some coffee, Dr. Finley. – Thanks.
现在,告诉我。对鼻子的猛击是野牛干的?
Now, tell me. This bash on the nose came from a Bison?
——一头水牛。威尔曼是一头水牛,不是吗?——是的,先生。
– A Buffalo. Wellman is a Buffalo, isn’t he? – Yes, sir.
也许你也要喝点咖啡,泰勒先生。
Perhaps you will accept some coffee, too, Mr. Tyler.
谢谢您,先生。
Thank you, sir.
真的,谢恩先生,哈维是个好素材。
Really, Mr. Cheyne, Harvey is great material.
他只是被误导了,仅此而已。
He’s simply been misdirected, that’s all.
聪明。为什么他的头脑和学校里的其他人一样好。
Smart. Why he has a mind as fine as any in the school.
嗯,他确实愚弄了我。
Well, he certainly fooled me.
我似乎产生了一种低级的马基雅维利。
It seems that I have begotten a sort of junior Machiavelli.
也许我不该说这些,Cheyne先生…
Perhaps it’s not my place to say this, Mr. Cheyne…
但这只是因为你和他从未有过任何关系。
but it’s simply because you and he have never had any relationship.
对他来说,你只是一台倒钱的机器,一台他试图模仿的机器。
To him, you’re just a machine pouring out money, a machine he’s trying to imitate.
如果你从大企业大亨的身份中抽出时间,花更多的时间……
If you take time out from being a tycoon in big business and spend more time…
了解自己的儿子,你会发现…
getting to know your own son, you’ll realize…
我相信,谢恩先生现在已经很清楚地意识到了这一点。
I’m sure Mr. Cheyne realizes that very clearly now.
我知道学校会和我多合作一点,是的。
I can see that the school would do with a little more cooperation with me, yes.
但是你们先生们必须意识到…
But you gentlemen must realize…
除了是哈维的父亲和母亲
that besides being both father and mother to Harvey…
我忙于自己的工作。
I’m tied up in my own work…
也与他未来的福利有关
in matters that also relate to his future welfare.
我想你想从我这里得到什么,芬利医生…
I suppose what you want from me, Dr. Finley…
允许和哈维进行激烈的交易吗
is permission to deal as drastically with Harvey…
他将来的行为可能是罪有应得的
as his future conduct might deserve.
恐怕我们得把这个交给你一段时间了,谢恩先生。
I’m afraid we’ll have to leave that in your hands for a while, Mr. Cheyne.
至少在春季学期剩下的时间里,哈维将不得不被逼得抓狂。
For the rest of the spring term at least, Harvey will have to be rusticated.
大体的?
Rusticated?
“临时录制”,我想男孩子们管它叫“临时录制”。
“Temporarily canned,” I believe the boys call it.
这倒是个新闻。我想把你放在地毯上。
Well, that is news. And here I’m trying to put you on the carpet.
它看起来有点厚…
It seems a bit thick…
在印刷机和您所有其他的慷慨之后…
after the printing press and all your other generosities…
但正是因为这个原因,为了对其他男孩的影响。
but for that very reason, for the effect on the other boys.
哦,我完全明白,医生。你没有别的办法了。
Oh, I understand perfectly, Doctor. You’ve no other course.
哦,鲍勃,如果我们要赶上那班火车,我们必须走了。
Well, Bob, if we’re going to catch that train, we must be off.
再见,Cheyne先生。
Goodbye, Mr. Cheyne.
我相信当哈维秋天回来的时候
I’m sure that when Harvey comes back in the fall…
他将是一个我们都引以为豪的男孩。
he will be a boy that we can all be proud of.
好吧,祝你好运。
Well, good luck.
我的小泰勒先生很热情,但他是对的。
My young Mr. Tyler is pretty intense, but he’s quite right.
你真是个……他叫你什么?
You’re rather a nice fellow for a… What did he call you?
——一个大亨。-哦,是的。
– A tycoon. – Oh, yes.
作为一个大亨,你真是个不错的家伙。
Well, you’re rather a nice fellow for a tycoon.
所以在接下来的几个月里,你要把他带回家,好吗?
So take the boy in with you for the next few months, will you?
你不会介意额外的工作。如果你给他一个辜负你的机会…
You won’t mind the extra work. If you give him a chance to live up to you…
我们很可能又有一个好公民在身。
we’re liable to have another splendid citizen on our hands.
——晚安。-晚安,医生。谢谢你!
– Good night. – Good night, Doctor. Thank you.
哈维。
Harvey.