看情况了 先生们
That depends, gentlemen.
这完全取决于今后你们对我委托人的态度
It depends wholly on the treatment that my client receives from now on.
卡迪 我们走
Come, Mr. Cady.
各位再见
Gentlemen.
大律师回头见
I’ll see you around, counselor.
萨姆 现在你知道为什么要你来了吧
Well, now you can see why I wanted you to hear this, Sam.
他不出手 我拿他没辙
I can’t do anything more without an overt act.
杀了人才判刑 是吗
Like a neat little murder?
法律不能事先扼止犯罪
You show me a law that prevents crime.
我们只能在事发后采取行动
All we can do is act after the fact.
你还记得霍夫曼谋杀案
You remember the Hoffman murder?
霍夫曼太太遇害前
Before she was killed, Mrs. Hoffman came up here week after week
曾一次又一次对我说 她丈夫要杀她 我也相信
telling us that her husband was gonna do it, and I believed it.
可总不能逮捕一个有预谋却还没实施的罪犯吧
But I couldn’t arrest a man for something that might be in his mind.
这就是法律
That’s dictatorship.
萨姆 现在你身受其害 是不是能有别的方法
Now, Sam, you’re a citizen. Would you want it any other way?
能怎么办
What am I supposed to do?
关门上锁 枪上膛 坐家里等着
Pull up the drawbridge? Sit home with a loaded gun?
叫人空降食物
Have the groceries dropped in by airlift?
这也不失为一个办法 对不对
That’s kind of an artificial way to live, wouldn’t you say?
我给你提个建议 萨姆
Sam, I’m going to make a humiliating suggestion.
就是有点丢人
And it’s humiliating for me.
去雇个私♥家♥侦♥探♥
You hire yourself a private detective.
这是唯一的法子 去找查理·西弗斯
Now, that’s all you can do. You get Charlie Sievers.
现在也只有他能挖出点有用的线索
Now, if anybody can dig up something we can act on, he can.
-私♥家♥侦♥探♥ -不错
-A private detective? -That’s right.
我不想用”纳税人”的帽子来压你 马克
Mark, I’m not gonna go into the “I am a taxpayer” routine,
你就不能出点别的主意
but is that the best you can do?
叫我去雇侦探
You’re telling me to go hire protection?
是够讽刺的 对不对
That’s a hell of a note, isn’t it?
法律不是太过就是不及
Either we have too many laws or not enough.
为什么走这条路
Why are we going this way?
风景好呀
Better scenery.
你懂什么风景 什么美丑
What would you know about scenery or beauty
懂什么生活的意义
or any of the things that really make life worth living?
你不过是个野兽
You’re just an animal.
粗俗 好色 又野蛮
Coarse, lustful, barbaric.
宝贝 继续说 我就爱听你说
Keep right on talkin’, honey. I like it when you run me down like that.
麦斯·卡迪 我就喜欢你这点
Max Cady, what I like about you is
不做作
you’re rock bottom.
你或许不懂
I wouldn’t expect you to understand this,
但对女孩来说 知道最坏也不过如此时
but it’s a great comfort for a girl to know
那才是最大的安慰
she could not possibly sink any lower.
是嘛 跟我多讲点你在
Yeah. Come on, tell me some more about that time when you were
蒙面先知舞会上夺魁的事
Queen of the Veiled Prophet’s Ball.
接线员吗 请接警♥察♥局
Yes? Operator, Police Department.
警♥察♥局 我找埃尔金斯警官
Police Department. Give me Sergeant Elkins.
我就是
This is Sergeant Elkins.
你好 麦克 我是查理·西弗斯
Hello, Mike. This is Charlie Sievers.
我在谢尔曼街和迪苏托街的交口
I’m at the corner of Sherman and DeSoto.
要找麦斯·卡迪的麻烦的话 现在正是时候
Now, if you want something on Max Cady,
黛安·泰勒是几天前才到这里的外地人
he’s up in a room with a girl who just blew into town a few days ago.
他们现在正在房♥间中
Diane Taylor. He’s in the room with her now.
在谢尔曼街2041号♥
2041 Sherman.
她成年了 但仍能以猥亵罪逮捕这个流浪汉
She’s over 18, but you can still get him for lewd vagrancy.
房♥间就在二楼
That’s the room. Second floor.
开门 快开门
Open up! Open up!
后门有直通外面的楼梯
There’s a back door open here and an outside stairway.
她表现得很奇怪
Something kind of weird’s happened to her.
一句话也不肯讲
I can’t get her to spill a thing.
也许你有办法
Maybe you can.
泰勒小姐
Miss Taylor?
可能你都没意识你伤得有多重
You’re probably hurt worse than you realize.
帮你叫医生来好吗
Would you like me to get a doctor?
我叫查理·西弗斯 是私♥家♥侦♥探♥
My name is Charlie Sievers. I’m a private detective,
我能帮你
and I can help you.
你绝对不能默不作声地忍♥受这种毒打
No need to take a beating like this lying down.
那种男人应该待在牢里
A man like that has no right to walk around free.
法律会保护你 为什么不起诉
You’ve got the law on your side. Why not use it?
没人会因为你害怕麦斯·卡迪而笑话你
Now, no one blames you for being afraid of Max Cady.
你知道他跟平常人不一样
This one’s different, and you know it.
今晚揍了你 明天可能还会揍你
He beat you up tonight. He’ll probably do it again tomorrow night.
甚至杀了你
He might even kill you.
我可以带你去凶杀组
Let me take you down to the homicide bureau.
去看那些被卡迪这种人
I’ll show you photographs of girls
所杀害女孩的照片
who got mixed up with men like Cady,
恐怖得让人想吐
and, Miss Taylor, it’ll make you sick.
你看了就能明白能活着有多不容易
But you’ll realize how lucky you are to be alive.
所以更该保护自己
Now, why not protect yourself?
你好
Hello?
我要叫部计程车
Could you send a taxicab promptly
到谢尔曼街和迪苏托街的交口
to the corner of Sherman and DeSoto?
我要去巴士站
I want to go to the bus station.

Right.
请快一点
Quick, please.
要是非走不可 那就走吧
Well, leave town if you have to
没人会怪你
and, as I said, no one will blame you.
但在走前 至少帮我们将他绳之以法 好吗
But before you go, would you help us put this man away?
你只要到警♥察♥局去
All you have to do is come down
签张控诉状就行了
to police headquarters and sign a complaint.
你不愿意吗
Won’t you do that?
就算不为自己 也请想想别人 好吗
If not for your sake, for somebody else’s?
保护自己
Protect myself?
谁也没法对抗那种人
Nobody can protect themselves against a man like that.
我是很害怕
I’m scared.
你帮不了我
You can’t help me.
我可以
But I can!
你告他人身攻击
Now, you file an assault charge,
他就得蹲半年大狱
and Cady’ll get six months in jail.
半年 之后呢
Six months. And after that?
当他离开这里时
When he walked out of this room,
他说
he said…
他说这次就算打样了
He said to consider this only a sample.
依我对人性的了解
From my limited knowledge of human nature,
麦斯·卡迪绝不做无谓的恐吓
Max Cady isn’t a man who makes idle threats.
况且你又不是警♥察♥
Anyway, you said you weren’t a policeman.
你到底想干嘛
What do you want?
萨姆·鲍登先生是我的委托人
I have a client. Mr. Bowden. Mr. Sam Bowden.
卡迪威胁他的太太和女儿
Cady has threatened his wife and his daughter.
原因不必细说
Never mind the reasons.
他当然担心他的家人
Mr. Bowden is worried, and I can’t blame him.
你也知道卡迪的可怕
You know Cady.
你认为
You believe that I could ever,
在我这一生当中
ever, in my whole life,
能站出来 重复告诉别人
step up and repeat to another living soul
那家伙所
what that man…
所做的事吗
What he did?
我家人怎么办
What about my family?
我也有父母啊
I’m someone’s daughter, too.
你想我家乡的报纸会怎么写
What about the newspapers in my hometown?
难道我就不在乎让他们读
Do you think I could bear to have them read about…
这次恐怕一无所获
I’m afraid I got you down here for nothin’.
她马上就要离开并且不愿做证
She won’t talk, and she’s leavin’ town on the next bus.
这位就是鲍登先生
This is Mr. Bowden.
现在还来得及 请你再仔细考虑一下 好吗
Once more, before it’s too late, would you reconsider?
抱歉 真的很抱歉
I’m sorry. Really, I’m sorry.
下一步该怎么办
So what do we do next?
别再跟踪他 没用的
Well, drop tailing him. You’re wasting your money.
他不会让你抓到把柄
He expected to be covered.
如果他想干一票 自然会想出万全的办法
And any time he wants to shake loose, he’ll figure a way.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!