大伙,这是“菲利普斯医生”,奥利芙·尼尔 – 嗨,你们好
Everyone, this is Dr. Philips. Olive Neal. – Hi, nice to meet you.
你见过朱利安 – 是的
You know Julian. – Yes.
我助手,罗娜 – 嗨
My assistant, Lorna. – Hi.
伊甸·布伦特,演克里斯汀 – 啊,可爱的小狗
Eden Brent, Kristen. – Ah, cute dog.
华纳·普赛尔,演马斯特上尉 – 很有魅力,很有魅力,很有魅力
Warner Purcell. Lieutenant Masters. – Charmed, charmed, charmed.
剧务米契 – 米契,嗨,嗨,嗨,嗨
Stage manager Mitch. – Mitch, hi, hi, hi, hi.
那你是? – 我跟她来的
And you are? – I’m with her.
他跟我来的 – 好的,好的
He’s with me. Yeah. – Okay. Okay.
好了,呃,我们要排练了,所以…
Well, um, we’re just gonna rehearse for a while, so…
哦,她去哪,我就去哪
Yeah. Where she goes, I go.
好了,伙计,你干嘛不,坐到戏院后排去
All right, buster, why don’t you park yourself in the back row of the theater…
尽量不要出声打鼾
and try not to snore.
呃,我…
Um, l…
怎么? – 原则上我不喜欢外人看彩排…
What? – I don’t like other people watching rehearsals…
因为演员大都很敏感 – 你说什么?
generally as a rule because the actors are very sensitive. – What’d you say?
我,我不喜欢… – 嘿,嘿,你谁啊?你算老几?
I-l don’t like… – Hey, hey, who are you? Who are you?
好了,别激动 – 我是导演
Whoa, whoa. Easy. – I’m the director.
他是谁? – 等一下
Who is this? – Wait a minute.
我是这出戏的导演 – 等一下,呃,怎么称呼…
I’m the director of the play. – Wait a minute, Mr., uh…
奇契,叫我奇契 – 奇契先生,首先…
Cheech. The name’s Cheech. – Mr. Cheech, first of all…
不对,不是奇契先生,你听见没? – 听见了
No, not Mr. Cheech. Ya hear me? – Yeah.
奇契,很简单,奇契 – 奇契
Cheech. Simple. Cheech. – Cheech.
现在,你为何不到后排就座让我们…嗯,去吧
Now, why don’t you just take a seat in the back and we’ll…Yeah, go ahead.
就这样吧 – 我觉得这情形不太妙
That’s it. – I find this very problematic.
我就坐在那儿 – 他会很低调的,相信我
I’ll be over there. – He’ll be unobtrusive, believe me.
他不会打扰别人的,他只想看戏
He’s not gonna bother anybody. He just wants to watch.
他是我保镖
He’s my bodyguard.
嗨 – 你好
Hi. – Hello.
抱歉我迟到了,我通常很专业的 – 哦,当然了
Sorry I’m late. I’m usually highly professional. – Oh, I’m sure.
这是给你的 – 哦,滑石粉,我最喜欢了
This is for you. – Oh, talcum powder. My favorite.
谢谢你了,你真漂亮 – 不,你真漂亮
Thank you. You’re a doll. – Oh, no, you’re a doll.
海伦·辛克莱半小时后才到场,但她有个好借口
Helen Sinclair came a half hour late, but she had a good excuse.
请原谅我,我的足医突发中风了
Please forgive me. My pedicurist had a stroke.
她摔在一根棍子上,棍子砸到我脚趾上
She fell forward onto the orange stick and plunged it into my toe.
我的脚需要包扎 – 哦,真可怜
It required bandaging. – Oh, my poor darling.
哦,见到你们真高兴
Oh, it’s so good to see you.
我们都很崇敬海伦·辛克莱 – 我们是老友了
We all know and admire Helen Sinclair. – We’re old friends.
真的谢谢你们 – 辛克莱女士,这是米契
Thank you so much. – Miss Sinclair, this is Mitch.
哦,是啊是啊,我的天哪,我居然又回到这里了
Oh, yes, yes. Oh, my goodness’ sake. I can’t believe I’m here.
哦,看看它,看看它,你们能相信吗?
Oh-ho, look at this. Look at this. Would you look?
哦,这个老剧院
Oh, this old theater.
是座教堂
This church.
充满了那么多回忆
So replete with memories.
充斥着那么多魂灵
So full of ghosts.
易卜生《群鬼》人物
阿尔文夫人
Mrs. Alving.
契科夫同名剧作
万尼亚舅舅
Uncle Vanya.
威廉·莎士比亚《李尔王》
那边是考狄莉娅
There’s Cordelia.
威廉·莎士比亚《哈姆雷特》
这边是奥菲莉娅
Here’s Ophelia.
希腊神话人物
克吕泰蒙斯特拉!
Clytemenstra!
每个表演都是一次新生
Each performance a birth.
每个谢幕…
Each curtain…
都是一次死亡
a death.
那是条狗吗?
Was that a mutt?
是的,辛克莱女士
Yes, Miss Sinclair.
我恨狗!
I hate mutts!
我不想在第一天就败演员兴致
I didn’t want to overwhelm any of the actors on the first day…
所以我们一整天只通读了剧本
so all we did was read through the play.
我不能这样生活
I can’t live like this.
翻来覆去的例行公事
The same routine over and over and over.
日子就像融化的赛璐珞胶片,一样混淆在一起
The days blend together like melted celluloid.
就像一部,扭曲而毫无意义的电影
Like a film whose images become distorted and meaningless.
我要和你离婚,西尔维娅,我用无数种方式向你表达过了…
I want a divorce, Sylvia. I’ve said it in a thousand subtle ways…
希望你能认清现实,可你仍然拒绝现实
hoping you would realize, but you refuse to see it.
当我还是小女孩时,我发誓有一天
As a little girl, I swore one day…
我要得到一件,用银河的繁星制成的项链
I would have a necklace made from the Milky Way.
哦,克里斯汀,克里斯汀,人类如果不被记忆的魔力所诅咒该多好
Oh, Kristen, Kristen, if only humans weren’t cursed with the power of memory.
梦只是伪装了的感觉
Dreams are only disguised feelings.
我们越是把这些痛苦的经历带到“前”…
The more we bring these painful experiences to the fore…
他们就越容易面对
the easier they become to deal with.
“前”是什么? – 前面,是前面的意思
What’s the “fore”? – The fore. The foreground.
它是…我能插话吗? – 请便
ls it…Could l? – Please.
这是个高尔夫术语,当球往前走的时候你就喊“前”
It’s a golf term, when you yell, “fore” when you’re coming forward.
我不知道它有这个意思 – 那么她是在谈高尔夫了?
I didn’t realize that. – So you’re telling me she’s talking about golf?
继续! – 什么?
Continue! – What?
哦,到我了,医生…
Oh, yes, okay. Doctor…
难道我已经毫无魅力,彻底衰老?
am I unattractive, worn out?
被利用殆尽了?破碎了?干瘪了?老了?
Spent? Broken? Desiccated? Old?
好了,好了,博丝顿夫人,你表现得像个受…
Come, come, Mrs. Poston. You’re being mas…
受… – 受虐狂
Mas… – Masochistic.
受虐狂? – 对,施虐狂就是以痛苦为乐的人
Masochistic? – Yes, masochism is someone who enjoys pain.
和虐待狂相反 – 以痛苦为乐?
As opposed to sadism. – Enjoys pain?
她是智障还是怎么回事?
What is she, retarded?
真♥他♥妈♥难以置信 – 继续
I don’t fuckin’ believe this! – Continue.
排练过后,我很振奋
After the rehearsal, I felt exhilarated.
海伦·辛克莱建议我们俩,喝一杯放松一下
Helen Sinclair suggested we go for a drink to unwind.
她说她知道有个方便说话的小地方,能让我们畅谈一番
She said she knew of a little out-of-the-way speakeasy where we could talk.
真高兴又见到了老,呃… – 对啊
It was wonderful to see old, uh… – Wasn’t it?
华纳,对 – 华纳,是啊,他看起来那么苗条
Warner. Yes. – Warner, yeah. He looks so slim.
他又节食了 – 她又是谁?唉,我得喝一杯
He’s on a new diet. – Who is she? Oh, I need a drink.
奥利芙,是啊,我为她遗憾
Olive. Yes. I’m sorry about Olive.
我真的很抱歉,我们得用她换来资助
I do apologize. We needed her to raise the money.
这样的工作维持起来肯定很辛苦
It must be difficult getting a work like this on.
这就是商业社会的悲惨现实
It’s a sad reality of the marketplace, I’ll tell ya.
我们从没有机会真正谈过 – 是啊
We’ve never really had a chance to talk. – No.
嗨,伙计,要些什么? – 两杯马提尼,要很干的
Hi, folks. What can I get you? – Two martinis, please, very dry.
你怎么会知道我喝什么? – 哦,你也要一杯?
How’d you know what I drank? – Oh, you want one too?
三杯 – 三杯马提尼
Three. – Three martinis.
呃,我无法评判自己的作品,但我得说…
Uh, I can’t judge my own writing, but I must say…
仅仅从今天的试读我就能看出,你会把这角色演的相当出色
that just from today’s reading, I can tell how brilliant you’re going to be in this role.
这是个好剧本 – 谢谢
It’s a wonderful play. – Thank you.
不,不,我是说真的,言之有物的作品现在很少见
No, no, I mean it. It’s so rare that anything is really about something.
你知道…呃,马克斯威尔·安德森和,尤金·奥尼尔
You know…Well, there’s Max Anderson and Gene O’Neill.
也就是他们了 – 你刚刚提到了我最崇敬的两个作家
That’s about it. – You just named my two living gods.
一开始我对出演这个角色有点犹豫
I was a little reluctant at first to play the part.
这个人物太…她太…呃,呃,没有生趣了
The character is so… She’s so, um… uh, colorless.
没有生趣,对,这个我本来就想…
Colorless, yes. Well, that’s the idea…
接着我才明白了你的意图 – 你明白?
Then I realized what you were going for. – You did?
她的内心世界其实很深刻,很复杂
How profound, how complex, her inner life really is.
我试着给她一些性格矛盾
I tried to give her some contradictions.
我有些担心
I was worried.
我已经演惯了那些正面形象的女人
I’m used to playing more overtly heroic women.
没这么优柔,但更有魅力
Less tentative. More alluring.
当然不会是性冷淡
Certainly not frigid.
不,嗯,呃,西尔维娅·博丝顿是一个神经混乱的人
No, yes, yes. Well, Sylvia Poston is a mass of neuroses.
尽管我在剧本里找不到任何元素,能让这角色更亮眼…
In spite of the fact that I could really find nothing at all in the play to brighten her up…
没有真正的激♥情♥,没有诱惑力… – 一点都没有?
no real passion, no seductiveness… – Nothing?
我还是觉得她值得我演
I still think that she’s worth playing.
这个我们可以解决,对剧本做些改动就能让你更…
We could work it over, and a touch here or there could be changed to make sure you’re…
不要,不要,不要,不要,我根本不会奢求你… – 自如…
No, no, no, no. I wouldn’t dream of you… – comfortable.
为我来改动作品的一丁点
changing a word of your work for me.
天啊,我算什么?难道是什么自负的百老汇大牌?
God, who am l, some vain Broadway legend?
而你…是个冉冉升起的契科夫
You… you’re a budding Chekhov.
我并没说要改变剧情,我只是说我会在重读剧本时注意你的意见
I’m not saying I’ll distort the play. I’m just saying I’ll reread it with that in mind.
我是说,毕竟,辛克莱女士…海伦,我能这么称呼吗?
I mean, after all, Miss Sinclair… Helen. May I call you Helen?
可以 – 海伦…
Yes. – Helen…
作为一个演员,你的本能是无比珍贵的
your instincts as an actress are impeccable.
而我希望这个角色有立体感,我不想让她黯淡无光
And I want the character to have dimension. I don’t mean for her to be a drone.
你把我看透了,不是吗? – 我?