♪ Toot-Toot-Tootsie good-bye ♪
♪ Toot-Toot-Tootsie don’t cry ♪
♪ The little choo-choo train that takes me ♪
♪ Away from you, You don’t know just how sad it makes me ♪
♪ Kiss me Tootsie and then ♪
♪ Do it over again ♪
♪ Watch for the mail I’ll never fail ♪
♪ lf you don’t get a letter then you know I’m in jail Hey, hey ♪
♪ Don’t cry, Tootsie Don’t cry ♪
♪ Kiss me, Tootsie Good-bye ♪
♪ Get hot Don’t cry, Tootsie Don’t cry ♪
♪ Good-bye, Tootsie Oh, good-bye ♪
我是个艺术家,我不会改一句台词…
I’m an artist, and I won’t change a word of my play…
去讨好那些肤浅的百老汇观众!
to pander to some commercial Broadway audience!
我不想和你吵!你看我像是在吵吗?
I’m not arguing with you! Do you see me arguing?
你的剧本很了不起,它是真实的,它是有意义的,冲击传统的
Your play is great as is. It’s real. It makes a point. It’s confrontational.
那你干嘛不让它上演? – 因为我不能再失败了
Then why won’t you produce it? – Because I cannot afford another failure.
戴维,这个剧本太沉重了 – 但写作的目的并不是逃避…
David, the play’s too heavy. – But not everybody writes to distract.
啊 – 剧院的职责不仅在娱乐大众…
Sh. – It’s the theater’s duty not just to entertain…
还在于改造人们的灵魂 – 哦,得了
but to transform men’s souls. – Oh, come on.
这不是格林尼治村的街头咖啡馆,这可是百老汇
You’re not at one of your sidewalk cafes in Greenwich Village. This is Broadway.
你刚才还说你对我的剧本有信心! – 那你想让我说什么?
You said you believed in my play! – What do you want me to say?
我已经没什么号♥召力了,要是有什么大导演对这剧本有兴趣…
I’m tapped out. Maybe if we got some big-time director interested…
我就可以搞些资金过来… – 不行,不行,不行,我要自己导这个剧本
I could scare up backers… – No, no, no. I’m directing this play.
哦,你觉得你靠谱吗?你有资历吗?
Ohh, will you listen to this guy? Where’s your track record?
我不想再看到我的剧本被毁掉了,这种事我已经经历两次了
I won’t see my work mangled again. I’ve been through this twice before.
我的两个好剧本,本来可以非常成功
Two powerful scripts, could have been tremendous successes…
然后我得看着演员改掉我的台词,而导演误解整个剧本!
and I had to watch actors change my dialogue and directors misinterpret everything!
我懂,我懂,你是艺术家
I know. I know. You’re an artist.
但我跟你说,小子,这就是现实世界,它比你想的残酷的多
Let me tell you, kid, that’s the real world out there, and it’s a lot rougher than you think.
♪ Ma He’s makin’ eyes at me ♪
♪ Ma He’s awful nice to me ♪
♪ Ma, he’s almost breakin’ my heart ♪
你们还等什么?杀了他们!
What are you waitin’ for? Kill them!
好了,我们去吃点东西
Come on. Let’s go get somethin’ to eat.
我想去吃排骨 – 这主意不错
I feel like eatin’ ribs. – That’s a good idea.
我要去汤米那边打台球,他今晚有球局,我得走了
I gotta go shoot crap at Tommy’s. He’s got a game at the Ansonia. I gotta go.
得有人通知华伦蒂大佬这边的状况,他现在在Three,德乌斯酒吧那儿
Somebody’s got to let Mr. Valenti know what’s going on. He’s at the Three Deuces.
你怎么不去通知他? – 我和鲍比·道尔有约了,腾不出时间
Why don’t you go tell him? – I promised Bobby Doyle. I can’t do nothin’.
我要去打球 – 怎么了,奇契?你不愿给大佬的妞当保姆?
I gotta shoot a game. – What’s a matter, Cheech? Don’t you wanna baby-sit his girl?
我讨厌他女朋友
His girlfriend’s a pain in my ass.
♪ You gotta see Mama every night ♪
♪ Or you can’t see Mama at all ♪
♪ You gotta kiss Mama Treat her right ♪
♪ Or she won’t be home when you call ♪
♪ Now if you want my company ♪
♪ You can’t fifty-fifty me ♪
喂,小子,把帽子拿好
Here, doll, take care of this hat.
华哥在吗? – 嗯,就在这边
Mr. V. here? – Yeah, right this way.
人真不少 – 是啊,每晚都有这么多人
Nice crowd. – Yeah, we’re packin’ ’em in every night.
♪ Monday night I sat alone ♪
这边
Right here.
♪ Tuesday night you didn’t phone ♪
♪ Wednesday night you didn’t call ♪
摆平了 – 真是如释重负,搞定了几个?
Done. – Now that’s a load off my mind. How many?
四个 – 那就是还剩下一个
Four. – This means we ain’t heard the last.
你知道库斯塔贝克虽然有势力,但他会吓得开溜的
You know Kustabeck’s gonna have a fit, but he’ll run scared.
可能吧 – 听着,交易就是交易
Maybe. – Listen, a deal’s a deal.
中城现在是我们的了,呃,我的意思是,是华伦蒂先生的了
We got midtown. I mean, eh… Mr. Valenti does.
♪ I don’t want that kind of a sheik ♪
♪ Who does his sheiking once a week ♪
♪ You gotta see Mama every night ♪
♪ Or you can’t see ♪
♪ You can’t see Mama at all ♪
♪ Not at all. ♪
我受够了,我受够了!你听见没有?
I’m fed up! I’m fed up, do you hear me?
道上的事你爱怎样怎样,可我这边已经受够了
You can push your torpedoes around all you want, but I’ve had it up to here!
又怎么了? – 我不要跟别人共用更衣室
What is it now? – I am not sharing a dressing room.
我受够了被挤来踩去,这些贱♥货♥根本不会跳舞
I am tired of getting bumped into and stepped on. None of these bimbos knows how to dance.
贱♥货♥! – 她们可是全纽约最好的
Bimbos! – They’re the best line in New York.
狗屁!狗屁! – 哦,住嘴吧
Bullshit! Bullshit! – Oh, knock it off.
嘿,别跟她顶嘴,奥利芙,好了 – 干什么?
Hey, clam up over there. Olive, come on. – What?
奥利芙,今天是我们的纪念日 – 今天不是我们的的纪念日
Olive, it’s our anniversary. – It’s not our anniversary.
你老年痴呆了 – 今天是九月二十八号♥,半年纪念日
You’re getting senile. – It’s September 28. Six months to today.
那怎么? – 我不可能记错…
So? – I remember it like it was yesterday…
因为就是那天早上,我们敲断了乔伊·本杰明的两条腿
’cause that’s the morning we broke Joey Benjamin’s legs.
半年了?半年了! – 对啊,半年了
Six months? Six months! – Yeah. Six months.
而我现在还陷在这廉价又肮脏的狗地方! – 奥利芙,我给你买♥♥了东西
And I’m still stuck in this crummy rat trap! – Olive. I brought you somethin’.
什么东西? – 打开就知道
What is it? – Open it.
不,你来给我打开,没看见我在换衣服吗? – 我给你打开,看这儿,喂
No, you open it. Can’t you see I’m dressing? – I’ll open it. Here. Hey.
这是什么? – 珍珠啊!你以为这是什么?
What is it? – Pearls! What the hell do you think they are?
珍珠是白的 – 这些是黑珍珠
Pearls are white. – These are black pearls.
我不要那东西!我就没听说过珍珠有黑的
Don’t give me that! I never heard of black pearls.
你没听说过什么并不代表它不存在
Just ’cause you never heard of somethin’ don’t mean it don’t exist.
你以为我傻还是怎么着?它们可是黑的,天啊
What do you think I am? Some kind of chump? They’re black, for God’s sake.
可能那些牡蛎有生理缺陷吧 – 珍珠可不是什么呕吐物
They probably came from defective oysters. – The pearls ain’t sick.
黑珍珠,它们本来就是…怎么?它们本来就是黑的!
Black pearls, they’re supposed… What? They’re supposed to be black!
是啊,是啊,是啊 – 得了别这样了,你知道我爱你爱的发狂
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. – Don’t be that way. You know I’m nuts about you.
你要真是爱我爱得发狂,尼克,为什么还让我呆在这蹩脚合唱团里?
If you’re nuts about me, Nickie, why don’t you get me out of this lousy chorus line?
我来纽约可是要做演员的,我天生适合干那行
I came to New York to be an actress. That’s where my gifts are.
你会的,宝贝,你会成为一个伟大的演员,我说到做到
You will, baby. You’ll be a great actress. A promise is a promise.
是啊,我… – 好了,穿好衣服,我这就把你带到哈林区那边
Yeah, l… – Come on. Get yourself dressed. I’m takin’ you to Harlem.
棉花俱乐部? – 对啊宝贝
The Cotton Club? – Yeah, baby.
我告诉你,他们读了我的剧本,他们喜欢它,但他们畏惧它
I’m telling you, they read my play, they love it. But they’re afraid of it.
这个毫无关联,毫无关联 – 不是毫无关联!
It’s irrelevant. – It’s not irrelevant!
我要说的是…
The point I’m making is that…
没有一个真正伟大的艺术家,能在他生前就被认可
no truly great artist has ever been appreciated in his lifetime.
一个都没有? – 没有,没有
Not one? – No, no.
弗伦德 – 就拿,呃,梵高或爱伦坡当例子吧
Flender. – Take, uh, uh… Van Gogh or Edgar Allen Poe.
爱伦坡死的时候饥寒交迫,身边只剩他的猫蜷在脚边
Poe died poor and freezing with his cat curled on his feet.
戴维,不要放弃,在你死后它可能会上演的
David, don’t give up on it. Maybe it’ll be produced posthumously.
你们知道,我,我的剧本没有一个能上演,对
You know, l-l-l have never had a play produced…That’s right.
而我这二十年来每年都写一部剧本 – 对啊这是因为你是天才
And I’ve written one play every year for the past 20 years. – That’s because you’re a genius.
证据就是无论庸人还是智者,都完全不能理解你的作品
The proof is that both common people and intellectuals find your work completely incoherent.
所以说你是天才 – 我们都有怀疑自己的时候
It means you’re a genius. – We all have our moments of doubt.
我每周都在块帆布上作画,画好了看一眼就用剃刀把它割裂
I paint a canvas every week, take one look at it and slash it with a razor.
对你来说很适合 – 我对你的剧本有信心
Well, in your case that’s a good idea. – I have faith in your plays.
她对我的剧本有信心是因为她爱我 – 也因为你是天才
She has faith in my plays because she loves me. – Also because you’re a genius.
十年以前,我…我把这个漂亮的女人
Ten years ago, l-l-l kidnapped this woman from a very beautiful…
从她在匹兹堡的中产阶级生活里绑♥架♥了出来,然后她的生活就被我毁了
middle-class life in Pittsburgh, and I made her life miserable ever since.
嘿,艾伦,只要他是个好人,就跟他在一块吧
Hey, Ellen, as long as he’s a good man, keep him.
你知道,我觉得我们女人犯的错误就是,爱上了艺术家…
You know, I think the mistake we women make is we fall in love with the artist…
喂,你们这些男人有没有在听? – 有,有
Hey, you guys, are you listening? – Yes, yes.
我们爱上了艺术家那部分,而不是这个人 – 我不觉得这有什么不对的
We fall in love with the artist, not the man. – I don’t think that’s a mistake.
这有错吗? – 是艺术家的部分成就了整个人
How is that a mistake? – The artist makes the man.
她是对的,你不能把“他们”分开看待,不对不对,你看,就说有栋楼在着火吧
She’s right. You can’t separate ’em. No, look. Say there was a burning building…
这时候你能冲进去,但只能二选一做一件事情
and you could rush in, and you could save only one thing:
要么救最后一本莎士比亚全集,要么救一个陌生人
either the last known copy of Shakespeare’s plays or some anonymous human being.
你不会… – 你会怎么做?
You cannot… – What would you do?
你不会让这些剧本毁灭的 – 没错
You cannot deprive the world of those plays. – Correct.
电♥话♥,戴维 – 剧本是没有生命的东西
Phone call, David. – It’s an inanimate object.
它不是没有生命的东西!它是艺术!艺术就是生命!它是活的!
It’s not an inanimate object! It’s art! Art is life! It lives!
我们搞到钱了,我们能演你的剧本了
We got the money. We can do the play.
什么?什么时候?怎么会?
What? When? How?
有个人会为整个演出投资
A single backer goin’ for the whole show.
一个老友,我刚在棉花俱乐部碰见了他
An old acquaintance. I’m up at the Cotton Club. I ran into him.
没有条件? – 这个,呃…
And no hitches? – Well, uh…
我们明天见面细谈,好吗?Luxor浴所,明天中午
We’ll meet tomorrow and discuss it, all right? Luxor Baths. Noon.
你疯了吗?你以为我会让一个无名之辈演主角?
Are you nuts? You think I’m gonna let some amateur play the lead in my play?
我说是主角了吗?我说是主角了吗,天才先生?
Did I say “lead”? Did I say “lead,” Mr. Genius?
就因为她是投资者的女友? – 我说是主角了吗?
Some guy’s girlfriend ’cause he’s puttin’ up the money? – Did I say “lead”?
我说是一个角色,角色而已,我猜可能是菲利普斯医生
I said a part, a role. I thought maybe Dr. Philips.
那个心理医生?那是关键角色 – 什么关键角色!
The psychiatrist? It’s a key role. – What key role?
那是个小配角,还关键角色! – 这女的到底怎么样?
It’s a small part. Key role! – Who is this woman anyway?
奥利芙·尼尔?我都不知道她长什么样,更不知道她演的怎样了
Olive Neal? I don’t even know what she looks like, much less can she act.
他跟我说她是块明星的料
He says she’s the stuff that stars are made of.
那是因为他喜欢她,那他到底什么来头?
That’s ’cause he’s in love with her. And who is he anyway?
他叫尼克·华伦蒂 – 我怎么会知道这名字?他是做什么的?
His name is Nick Valenti. – How-How…How do I know that name? What’s he do?
呃,他在很多领域都能掺一脚 – 听起来不怎么好
Ah, he’s got his finger in a number of pies. – I don’t like the sound of this.
听着,你到底要不要你的剧本上演? – 我得先见她一面
Look, you wanna get your play on or not? – I gotta meet her first.
那你就见她吧 – 我很纠结
So you’ll meet her. – I’m conflicted.
你会见到她的,我保证你会见到她 – 精神病医生那角色可不小
You’ll meet her. That’s all I’m saying. – The psychiatrist is not small.
那不是主角,那是…那是个小角色,你觉得主角该让谁演?
It’s not the lead. It’s…It’s a small part. Who do you see in the lead?
我不知道 – 海伦·辛克莱怎么样?
I don’t know. – What about Helen Sinclair?
哦,当然可以了,我是说她肯定很棒,可她肯吗?
Oh, sure. I mean, she’d be great. But can we get her?