It certainly feels like it,
但这是我第一年在这上班 所以我不知道如何判断
but this is my first year, so I don’t know how to judge.
祝贺你 度过了第一个在纽约的冬天
Well congratulations. You survived your first New York winter.
噢 并不是那么糟糕
Ah, it wasn’t so bad.
是吗 爱尔兰更冷吗
Really? It’s colder in Ireland?
噢不 这儿更冷
Oh no, it’s colder here.
我们评判冬天的标准就是看冬天有多冷
Over here, that’s how we judge the winter. On how cold it is.
可是你们有暖气 到处都是 你们只有在室外冷
But you have heating. Heating everywhere. You’re only cold outside.
倒也是
I guess that’s true.
-谢啦 -祝你一天愉快
-Thank you for your help. -Have a good day.
艾莉丝 你跟变了个人似的
Eilis! You’re like a different person!
你怎么做到的
How did you do it?
也许我可以把你的心得传授给下个想家的姑娘
Maybe I can pass some advice on to the next poor girl who feels that way.
我有男友了 一个意大利人
I met somebody. An Italian fella.
噢 不 我不会传达这样的建议的
Oh no. I’m not passing that on.
我宁愿她们想家也不想她们失恋
I’d rather have them homesick than heartbroken.
他常常谈论棒球吗 还是把他妈妈挂在嘴边
Does he talk about baseball all the time? Or his mother?
没有
No.
那得留住他 纽约再没有这样的意大利男人了
Then keep him. There isn’t another Italian man like him in New York.
打住 记着 这是容易的 因为上面还没加酱
Hold it. Now remember You’re getting off easy, because we haven’t got sauce.
是的 你要记住酱汁会四处溅 所以要慢慢来
Yeah. You have to remember that the sauce flies everywhere, so take it slowly.
每次我看到动作有问题的时候 我就说”溅了”
I’m gonna say “Splash” anytime I see problems.
-好主意 -我可以开始了吗
-Good idea. -Can I start now?
-可以 -开始
-Yeah! -Go!
溅了
SPLASH!
你刚刚溅到他妈妈 他爸爸 还溅到墙上了
You just splashed his mother, and his father, and the walls…
再来一次吧
Let’s go again.
亲爱的露丝 我想最重要的消息是
Dear Rose, I suppose the most important news
我交了个男朋友
is that I have a boyfriend
我清楚 他不如百货公♥司♥的工作重要
He isn’t as important as Bartocci’s …
也不如夜校的学习重要
and my evening classes, I know that.
但我想告诉你这里发生的一切
But I wanted to tell you everything that is going on.
请别跟妈妈说 你知道她会有什么反应
Please don’t mention it to Mummy though. You know what’s she like.
他为人得体又友善 他有一份工作并且很努力
He’s decent and kind, and he has a job, and he works hard.
我们每周三去看电影
We go to the cinema on Wednesdays
周六他带我去弗洛德神父的舞会
and he takes me to Father Flood’s dance on Saturdays.
我每天都想着你和妈妈
I think of you and mother every single day.
但是托尼令我觉得我在美国有了新生活
But Tony has helped me to feel that I have a life here.
在遇到他之前 我没有
I didn’t have before I met him.
以前 我的身体在这里
My body was here,
而我的生活停留在有你们的爱尔兰
but my life was back in Ireland with you.
现在在远隔重洋的地方开始了新生活
Now it’s halfway across the sea.
这很了不起 不是吗
So that’s something, isn’t it?
对了 我得提醒你小心弗兰基
Oh and I’d better warned you about Frankie.
最小的那个
He’s the little one.
是的 他少年老成
Yeah. He’s eight going on eighteen.
他既友善又机灵 但总是话很多
He’s nice and he’s smart, but he’s been talking
他有好多话要说给你听
and he’s talking about all the things he’s gonna to say to you.
-说什么呢 -不知道 可能是任何事情
-What sorts of things? -We don’t know. Could be anything.
我试了给他钱
I mean, I swear I tried to pay him money to
让他出去跟朋友打球
go out and play ball with his friends.
我爸也威胁他不要乱来
And my dad, he threatened him,
可是我想他正巴望有机会制♥造♥麻烦
but I think he’s looking forward to causing trouble
这样好痛快挨顿揍
so much so he’ll happily take a beating.
这就是我家了
This is us here.
准备好了吗
Ready?
你在哪儿学的这么吃意面的
Hey, how did you learn to eat spaghetti like that?
我有上课
I’ve been taking lessons.
上课 在课堂上吗 有这样的课吗
Lessons? Like, in a class? You can do that?
也许我可以教你
Maybe I could teach you.
不 不 戴安娜 我的舍友
No, no. Diana, who lives in the boarding house with me…
她为我做了意面
cooked me some spaghetti
逼我学着在不弄得一团糟的情况下吃掉它
and made me try and eat it without making a mess.
你们在爱尔兰吃什么 爱尔兰炖菜吗
So, what do you eat in Ireland? Just Irish stew?
不止 我们
Not just. We…
首先我想说我们不喜欢爱尔兰人
So first of all I should say that we don’t like Irish people.
打住 打住
Hey, hey …
-弗兰基 -怎么了
-Frankie! -What?
我们不喜欢爱尔兰人 人尽皆知的事实
We don’t! That is a well known fact!
弗兰基 为什么呢
Why Frankie?
因为一伙爱尔兰人把毛里齐奥揍伤了
Because a big gang of Irish beat Maurizio up
他缝了好几针
and he had to get stitches.
但这事根本没人管
And because all the cops round here are Irish,
因为所有的警♥察♥都是爱尔兰人
nobody did anything about it.
这事也许有另外一面
There are probably two sides to it.
可能我当时说了一些不该说的话 可是我现在想不起来了
I might have said something I shouldn’t, you know, I can’t remember now.
不管 就是因为他们打了你
No, because they beat you up.
无论如何 他们可能不全是爱尔兰人
Anyway, they probably weren’t all Irish.
对啊 他们只不过全是红头发 大粗腿而已
No. They just had red hair and big legs.
给我起来 失陪一下
Raise up! Excuse us.
我唯一能替他讲的好话就是
All I can say in his defence is
他可能是我们之中唯一可以上大学的人
that he’s the only one of us who’ll get a college education.
前提是他能把嘴闭上
If he can keep his mouth shut.
托尼说你在上大学
So, Tony tells me go to college.
只是夜校而已 我想当一名簿记员
Oh, just night classes. I want to be a book-keeper.
我喜欢现在百货商场的工作
I like working in the shop well enough,
但我不想一辈子待在那里
but I don’t want to be there forever.
很好
Good.
对不起 艾莉丝 我是个白♥痴♥ 一个粗鲁的白♥痴♥
I’m sorry, Eilis. I’m an idiot.I’m a rude idiot.
托尼提出过赛季开始后带你去艾比兹球场看比赛吗
So has Tony offered to take you to Ebbett’s Field when the season starts?
你喜欢棒球吗
You like baseball?
他从没提到布鲁克林道奇队吗 一次都没有吗
He never mentioned the Dodgers? Not even once?
托尼 你怎么了
Tony, what is the matter with you?
你们知道为什么吗 光顾着干这个了
You know why? Too much of this.
不管怎样
Anyway,
到了夏天你只能去艾比兹球场才能看到他了
you’ll have to go to Ebbett’s Field if you want to see him in the summer.
他们对你来说这么重要吗
They’re that important to you?
这么说吧
Put it this way.
如果我们的孩子决定要支持扬基队或巨人队的话
If our kids end up supporting the Yankees or the Giants,
我会很失望的
it would break my heart.
我也是
Mine too.
她可没在笑哦 托尼 我想已经晚了
She’s not laughing, Tony. I think it’s too late.
她支持扬基队
She’s a Yanks fan.
你说什么呢 你怎么搞的
What are you talking about? What’s wrong with you?
他是扬基队球迷
He’s a Yanks fan.
我爱你
I love you.
我…谢谢你 今晚很开心
I..Thank you for the evening. It was lovely.
对不起
Sorry!
我已经用完了
I’d finished.
希拉 问你点事情可以吗
Sheila can I ask you something?
你为什么还没结婚
Why are not you married?
因为我丈夫离开我 跟别人在一起了
Because my husband met somebody else and left me.
抱歉
Oh I’m sorry.
额 你会再结婚吗
And … Well, would you get married again?
-是不是有人跟你求婚了 -不 不算吧
-Has somebody asked you? -No, not really.
我不会刨根问底的
I won’t ask what that means.
希拉
Sheila?
我会再结婚吗
Would I get married again?
不 我打算一辈子住宿舍 跟别人抢厕所
No. I want to be waiting outside the bathroom of my boarding-house, forever.
我当然会再结婚
Of course, I do.
为此我每周都去参加那个讨厌的舞会
That’s why I go to that wretched dance every week.
我想有自己的家
I want to be waiting outside my own bathroom.
会有个脾气不怎么好
While some bad-tempered fella,
耳毛都露出来的家伙
with hair growing out of his ears
坐在马桶上看报纸
reads the newspaper on the toilet.
那时我就会希望我能回到这里 和你聊聊天
And then I’ll wish I was back here, talking to you.
明天见
I’ll catch you tomorrow right?
艾莉丝 抱歉
Eilis! I’m sorry!
我以为你不来了
I did not think you were coming.
我猜到你会这么想
I know. I thought you were gonna think that.
所以我无论如何都想赶过来

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!