许下一个忠诚的誓言 -哇哦
to take a loyalty oath – – Wow.
我认识很多像这样的女人
Oh, I’ve known so many women like that.
她们不喜欢自己的容貌 因此她们很生气
They don’t like their looks, so they’re angry.
抱歉
Excuse me.
你们都知道我在说什么
All of you know what I’m talking about.
我们… 我们正努力使自己变得更为强大
We’re – We’re all trying to act tougher than we are.
但是我们要小心
But we care.
因此…
So…
我们暗地里都被正在 发生的事情震惊了不是吗?
we’re all secretly terrified by what’s happening, aren’t we?
回头联♥系♥你
Contact you later
我刚刚还要讲其他趋势的 但是…
I was gonna talk about other trends, but –
杂♥志♥秀,新闻作为利润…
“Magazine shows, news as profit…
《今夜娱乐》的历史性影响力…
the historic influence of Entertainment Tonight…
危机,希望…
the danger, the hope…
梦想,问题…
the dream, the question.”
哦!
Oh!
我刚打算给你们放一盒录影带
I was gonna show you a tape…
所有的广播电视网 在同一天晚上都播放了这个…
a story carried by all networks on the same night – the same night –
却没有一个广播电视网注意到 一个重大的政策改变
that not one network noted a major policy change…
在第二次盐湖城核裁军谈话上
in Salt II nuclear disarmament talks.
这就是他们的做法
Here’s what they ran instead.
来吧,放录影带
Go ahead. Please show the tape.
我知道这是一部好电影,很有意思 我也很喜欢有意思的东西
I know it’s good film. I know it’s fun. I like fun.
但这不是新闻
It’s just not news.
好吧,喜欢这个你们很走运 你们会有更多收获
Well, you’re lucky you love it. You’re gonna get a lot more just like it.
很好
Good.
谢谢
Thank you.
我不认为会有问答出现
I don’t think there’ll be any Q and A.

Hi.
你好
Hello.
我就是想说你是多么优秀
I just wanted to tell you how great you were.
我叫汤姆.格兰尼克
My name’s Tom Grunick.
谢谢
Thank you.
好的
Yeah.
他们讨厌我
They hated me.
但是我不讨厌他们
I don’t hate them.
人们说假如你可以打动哪怕是一个人 这就是很大的成功
Well, they say if you can reach even one person, it means something.
而你做到了
And you did that.
你愿意和我共进午餐吗?
Would you like to have dinner with me?
当然
Sure.
你知道我在说什么吗? 另一件我不能忍♥受的事情…
You know what I’m saying? Another thing I can’t stand –
我讲得很无聊吗? -不!不!
Is this dull? – No! No. No. No. No.
另一件我无法忍♥受的事情就是 汇报会结束后白宫的记者们互相胡扯
Another thing I can’t stand is when White House reporters bullshit with each other after a briefing…
他们之中有一个人得出一个理论
and then one of them has a theory…
其他人就会在自己的报导中引用说 “据白宫消息称… ”
and the other quotes it in his story as, “White House sources say” –
真是这样的吗? -是这样的
That actually goes on? – Yes.
我不累,我的客房♥就在那边 你还想继续聊聊吗?
I am not tired. My room is right down here. You want to keep talking?
当然愿意
Yeah, sure.
来吧
Oh, come on.
就算我没有那么努力
Even I’m not that hard on myself.
不,你真的很努力
No, really.
我是偶然得到这份工作的
I got this job on a fluke.
听听看是怎么结束的吧
And wait till you hear how it ends up.
我在这个台里做体育报导
I was doing sports at this station.
报纸尽是报导那些不真实的消息…
The newspaper ran this untrue story…
于是我离开了…
that I was leaving…
但他们收到了很多为我辩护的邮件
and they got these tons of protest mail.
所以
So –
所以他们让我当了主持人
So they made me anchor.
好极了,不是吗?
So, great. Right?
只是我并不擅长我做成的这件事
Except I’m no good at what I’m being a success at.
你给我捶捶背怎么样?
How are you at back rubs?
你这样认为很正常
It’s sort of normal, the way you feel.
我读研究生的时候,所有人都认为…
In graduate school, everyone thought the only mistake…
招生委员会唯一会犯的错误就是 让我入学
the admissions committee made was letting ’em in.
听我说,你还在认为
Listen to me. You keep thinking I’m somebody who –
我是一个缺乏自信的人
who lacks confidence.
并不是这样的,我知道 我可以很好地交谈…
That’s not it. I know. I can talk well enough…
在与人交流方面 我做得并没有那么糟糕
and I’m not bad at making contact with people.
但是我并不喜欢那种 假装自己是记者的感觉
But I don’t like the feeling that I’m pretending to be a reporter.
有一半的时间,我无法理解…
And half the time, I don’t get the under –
我所谈论的新闻
the news that I’m talking about.
我并不是没有信心,相信我
It’s not that I’m down on myself. Trust me.
我真是差劲!
I stink!
我相信你
I trust you.
我甚至都没有一个机会使自己 真正变得擅长体育报导
I didn’t even have a chance to become really good at sports.
你知道,我并没那么糟糕 -有没有什么最显而易见的补救办法?
You know, I wasn’t bad. – What about the obvious remedy?
逆向思考 或许你可以找到一份报社的工作
Reversing things. Maybe getting a job at a newspaper.
我不会写东西
I don’t write.
但是这并不能阻止我给…
But that didn’t stop me from sending my audition tapes…
更大的电视台和广播电视网 寄去我的试音带
to the bigger stations and the networks.
很好,来吧
Well, come on.
这是你的生活 没有人试图将你推向快车道
It is your life. Nobody is tying you to the fast track.
你上过大学吗?
Did you go to college?
那么,你没受过良好的教育 又几乎没什么经验…
So, you’re not well educated, you have almost no experience…
又不会写东西
and you can’t write.
是的,而且我…
Yeah, and I’m –
我完全是在碰运气
and I’m making a fortune.
我很难给你提出什么建议…
It’s hard for me to advise you…
因为你把一些东西拟人化了 而我真的认为这很危险…
since you personify something that I truly think is dangerous.
是这样的
Uh-huh.
我同意你的看法,你并不具备资格 那你就去“获得”这种资格吧
I agree with you. You’re not qualified. So get qualified.
你可以坚特下去,更好地准备一下
You can insist on being better prepared.
你并不需要只是像这样说…
You don’t have to just leave it with…
“我不会写东西,我没上过大学… ”
“Uh, I don’t write, I’m not schooled…
我看不懂新闻 但是起码我对此很生气,乡民们
I don’t understand the news I’m reading, but at least I’m upset about it, folks.”
哇哦
Whoa.
你想从我这儿得到什么? 骗子许可证?
Just what do you want from me anyway, permission to be a fake?
别再哀号♥了
Stop whining.
做点有用的吧
Do something about it.

Oh.
你不必立刻开始
Well, you don’t have to start right now.
我讨厌刚才你跟我说话的方式
I hated the way you talked to me just now.
不仅仅是因为你说的没错
And it wasn’t just because you were right.
噢,天哪
Oh, God.
噢,天哪
Oh, God.
噢,天哪
Oh, God.
不,不,不,不只是演讲
No. No. No. It wasn’t just the speech.
这个家伙也发生了同样的事情
The same thing happened with this guy.
我省掉了一些情节
I have passed some line someplace.
我开始排斥人了 可我正在试着吸引别人
I am beginning to repel people I’m trying to seduce.
他一定长得很好看,对不对? -为什么这么说?
He must’ve been great-looking, right? – Why do you say that?
因为没有人会邀请一个长相丑陋的家伙 去自己的卧室
Because nobody invites a bad-looking idiot to their bedroom.
来说说我的事情吧 -好吧
Okay, let’s do me. – Sure.
我感觉正要睡着呢
I feel like I’m slipping.
会有人在睡着时有这种感觉吗?
But do people who are actually slipping feel that way…
或者通常总是醒着的人有这种感觉
or is it always the really good people who are moving up…
他们总认为他们在睡去 因为他们对自己的要求是如此之高?
who invariably think they’re slipping because their standards are so high?
这样的谈话对你没有价值
This conversation is not worthy of you.
如果这是真的,我会尽全力 -晚安
I’d give anything if that were true. – Good night.
如果不安和绝望让我们变得更有吸引力 那这个世界是不是很棒?
Wouldn’t this be a great world if insecurity and desperation made us more attractive?
假如贫困是一剂兴奋药呢?
If needy were a turn-on?
如果你觉得很奇怪,打电♥话♥给我
Call if you get weird.
什么? -照顾好自己,亲爱的
Mmm? – Take care, doll.
我会的
I will.
我刚才在想 这是我们最短的一次电♥话♥交谈
I was just thinking it was the shortest phone conversation we ever had.
我从没告诉过你 为什么我要告诉你我的过去
Um, I never told you the reason I was telling you everything before.

Hey.
我寄出去的那些录音带 我已被你们台驻华盛顿办公室聘用了
Those audition tapes I sent out – I’ve been hired by your network for the Washington bureau.
所以我们可能还会在工作时见面
So I’ll probably be seeing you at work.