Very well, really. A little fatter, I thought.
赶快把所有好吃的拿上来,我要吃饭了
Hurry up with all this beautifying. I want my dinner.
你下去了五分钟后就好
You go on down. I won’t be five minutes.
– 什么号♥码? – 请接凯特沃斯三-七
– Number, please? – Ketchworth 3-7, please.
凯特沃斯三-七
Ketchworth 3-7.
– 喂 – 喂,请问诺顿夫人在吗
– Hello? – Hello, is Mrs. Norton there, please?
– 是的,你能等一下吗? – 是的,我可以等一下
– Yes. Will you hold on? – Yes, I’ll hold on.
– 喂 – 喂,是你吗,玛丽
– Hello? – Hello? Is that you, Mary?
萝拉,很高兴是你,我还以为你死了
Oh, Laura! Fancy hearing from you. I thought you were dead.
不,我好几年没有见到你了
No, I haven’t seen you for ages.
听着亲爱的
Listen, my dear,
你能不能帮我说过谎话?
will you be a saint and back me up in the most appalling domestic lie?
– 有这么严重吗 – 我的生活就靠它了
– As bad as all that? – My life depends on it.
好的,今天我和往常一样到米尔福德买♥♥东西
Well, today, I went into Milford, as usual, to do my shopping.
本来想给佛瑞德的生日买♥♥个昂贵的礼物
With the special intention of buying a far too expensive present for Fred’s birthday.
很多地方没有我要的东西
Well, Spink and Robson’s hadn’t got what I wanted,
然后找到了个带气压计的时钟,但是只有一个
which was one of those clocks with barometers and everything in one,
他们说在博多翰的分店有一个
but they rang up their branch in Broadham and said there was one there,
所以我坐上一点半的车去了
so I hopped on the 1:30 train and went to get it.
– 继续 – 好的,这就是要说谎的地方了
– Go on. – Well, this is where the black lie comes in.
佛瑞德问我是不是过的开心,我说是的
Fred asked me if I’d had a good day, and I said yes,
你和我吃了午饭,然后你要去看你的亲戚
and that you and I had lunch and that you had gone to see your in-laws…
然后我去看电影
and I had gone to the pictures.
– 如果你撞到他不要说穿了好吗 – 好的,当然不会
– If you run into him, don’t let me down, will you? – Darling, of course not.
– 我会尽量替你做好的,我答应你 – 什么时候我们真的吃下午饭?
– I’ll do as much for you, I promise. – Let’s really lunch one day.
– 好的,那很好 – 下个星期四好吗?
– Yes, that’d be lovely. – What about next Thursday?
不,那时我要去米尔福德,星期五怎么样?
No, I can’t on Thursday. That’s my Milford day. What about Friday?
– 好的,在这里就更好了 – 好的
– Fine, better make it here. – All right, perfect.
你知道我的厨师的水平的,早点来
You know what my cook’s like. It’ll have to be early.
知道好的
Yes, all right.
– 再见 – 再见
– Good-bye. – Good-bye.
那个星期真的是个恶梦
That week was misery.
我一直是晕晕沉沉的
I went through it in a sort of trance.
你没有发现♥房♥♥子里多了一个认识的人?
How odd of you not to have noticed that you were living with a stranger in the house.
最后星期四还是来了
Thursday came at last.
我已经安排好了十二点半的,是在医院外面见亚历克
I had arranged to meet Alec outside the hospital at 12:30.
– 你好 – 你好
– Hello. – Hello.
我想你不会来的,我这个星期一直在想你是不会来的
I thought you wouldn’t come. I’ve been thinking all week that you wouldn’t come.
我是不想来的,但是我是在这里
I didn’t mean to really, but here I am.
自从维奥莱特的婚礼后,我一直没有到过皇宫里面
I hadn’t been inside the Royal since Violet’s wedding reception.
它看起来真的很豪华
It all seemed very grand.
他点了一瓶香槟
He actually ordered a bottle of champagne,
当我说不要的时候,他说就来一次
and when I protested, he said that we were only middle-aged once.
我们在午饭中间一直很开心,说着很多很平常的事情
We were very gay during lunch and talked about quite ordinary things.
佛瑞德他真的很迷人,如果事情不是这样的话,你也会很喜欢他的
Fred, he really was charming. I know you would have liked him if things had been different.
当我们走出去的时候,他说要给我个惊喜
As we were going out he said that he had a surprise for me…
如果我在长沙发那边等五分钟的话,他会给我看的
and that if I would wait in the lounge for five minutes, he’d show me what it was.
他跑着出去了
He went out and down the steps at a run,
比起令人尊敬的医生,他更像个学生
more like an excited schoolboy than a respectable doctor.
忽然,玛丽诺顿和她堂妹从饭厅里走了出来
Suddenly out of the dining room came Mary Norton and that rich over-made-up cousin of hers.
她们肯定一直在里面
They must have been in the dining room all the time…
并且看到了亚历克和我还有香槟一切
and seen Alec and me and the champagne and everything.
萝拉是你吧,赫尔迈厄尼说是的
Laura! So it was you after all. Hermione said it was.
– 你怎么样? – 你知道我是多么近视的
– How are you? – You know how shortsighted I am.
我看了很久也觉得不是真的
I peered and peered and still couldn’t be sure.
我没有看到你,我真的很糟糕,我希望是香槟
I never saw you at all. How awful of me. I expect it was the champagne.
我并不是很习惯香槟的,但是亚历克坚持要这样
I’m not used to champagne for lunch or for dinner either, but Alec insisted.
亚历克?亚历克是谁?亲爱的
Alec? Alec who, dear?
亚历克哈威,当然,你当然记得哈威,我认识他们好几年了
Alec Harvey, of course. Surely you remember the Harveys. I’ve known them for years.
– 不,我不认为我曾经 – 他很快就会回来的
– No, I don’t think I ever… – He’ll be back in a minute.
当你近点看他的时候你会认出他的
You’ll probably recognize him when you peer very closely.
他看起来很帅
He looks very charming and very attentive.
他真的很宝贵,他是世界上最好的人和最好的医生
He’s a dear. One of the nicest people in the world and a wonderful doctor.
– 亚历克,你记得诺顿夫人吗 – 恐怕不知道
– Oh, Alec, you remember Mrs. Norton, don’t you? – I’m afraid I don’t.
没有用的,萝拉,我想我们从来没有见过面
It’s no use, Laura. We’ve never seen each other before in our lives, I’m sure.
多么荒谬啊,我确定他和马德琳在那里,当你和我们一起吃饭的时候
How absurd. I made certain he and Madeleine were there when you dined with us…
就是去年耶诞节前
just before Christmas last year.
– 亚历克,这位是罗兰森夫人 – 你好
– Alec, this is Mrs. Rolandson. – How do you do?
– 可怕的天气,是吗 – 是的
– Horrid weather, isn’t it? – Yes.
当然,我们总不能在这个时候期待春天吧,是吗
Of course, one can’t really expect spring at this time of the year, can one?
不
No.
好的,我们必须要走了,我会带赫尔迈厄尼去见我的亲戚的
Well, we must be going. I’m taking Hermione with me to the in-laws as moral support.
– 再见,哈威医生,再见,亲爱的 – 再见
– Good-bye, Dr. Harvey. Good-bye, my dear. – Good-bye.
– 我真的很妒忌你的香槟 – 再见
– I do so envy you your champagne. – Good-bye.
再见
Good-bye.
– 真的很恐怖 – 没有关系
– That was awful. – Never mind.
他们从午饭开始一直看着我们,亲爱的
They had been watching us all through lunch. Oh, dear.
忘了它,出来看看是什么吧
Forget it. Come out and look at the surprise.
在楼梯的下面是一辆小型的两个人坐的车
There at the foot of the steps was a little two-seater car.
亚历克从斯蒂芬林恩买♥♥过来的
Alec had borrowed it from Stephen Lynn for the afternoon.
我尽量想让我觉得开心,但是没有用
I tried so hard to look pleased, but it wasn’t any good.
我一直想着那两个人在说说笑笑
I kept thinking of those two laughing and talking,
说笑着我们,我不能把她们从我的脑海中摔开
laughing and talking about us, and I couldn’t get them out of my mind.
当我们真的在乡村的时候,离布雷几英里
When we were out in the real country… a few miles beyond Brayfield…
我们在一个村庄旁边停下来,下车了
we stopped the carjust outside a village and got out.
有个小溪和小桥
There was a little bridge and a stream,
太阳尽量的想出来,但是没有用
and the sun was making an effort to come out, but really not succeeding very well.
我们靠在桥的栏杆上,并且往下看
We leaned on the parapet of the bridge and looked down into the water.
我在颤抖,亚历克把我抱住了
I shivered, and Alec put his arm round me.
– 冷吗? – 不
– Cold? – No, not really.
开心吗
Happy?
不一点也不
No, not really.
我知道你想说什么
I know exactly what you’re going to say.
那不值得
That it isn’t worth it.
偷偷摸摸还有说谎比我们在一起的还重要吗
That the furtiveness and lying outweigh the happiness we might have together.
难道不是吗
Isn’t that it?
可能有点是吧
Something like that.
我想问你一些,只是为了使自己心安
I want to ask you something, just to reassure myself.
什么?
What is it?
那对你来说是真的吗?我们在一起的感觉
It is true for you, isn’t it? This overwhelming feeling we have for each other…
对于你和我来说是真的,不是吗?
it’s as true for you as it is for me, isn’t it?
是的,是真的
Yes, it’s true.
我们必须呆在这里一段时间
We must have stayed on that bridge for a long time,
因为我们返回斯蒂芬·林恩的车♥库♥时,天已经黑了
because when we got back to Stephen Lynn’s garage, it was getting dark.
我还记得我好像到了悬崖的边缘
I remember feeling as if I was on the edge of a precipice.
我想亚历克也是这样想的
I think Alec felt that too.
你知道,我们两个都知道,我们彼此深深相爱着
You see, we both knew how desperately we loved each other.
亚历克说它必须把钥匙放到斯蒂芬·林恩的公♥寓♥里
Alec said he had to leave the keys of the car in Stephen Lynn’s flat…
建议我跟他一起去
and suggested that I came up with him.
我很激烈的拒绝了
I refused rather too vehemently.
亚历克跟我说斯蒂芬直到很晚才会回来,但是我还是不肯
Alec reminded me that Stephen wasn’t coming back till late, but I still refused.
我要回去了,我就要错过车了
I’m going back. I’m going to miss my train.
– 回哪里? – 到斯蒂芬的公♥寓♥
– Back where? – To Stephen’s flat.
亚历克
Oh, Alec.
亚历克,我现在必须回家了,我真的必须回家了
Alec, I must go home now. I really must go home.
来杯茶
A cup of tea, please.
– 下午好 – 下午好
– Good afternoon. – Afternoon, lady.
– 两杯威士卡 – 很对不起,时间过了
– Couple of whiskeys, please. – Very sorry. It’s out of hours.
好的,我们只是不想要老的三明治
Well, just sneak ’em to us under the cover of them poor old sandwiches.
今天早上的三明治是新鲜的,我没有做这样的事
Them sandwiches were fresh this morning, and I shall do no such thing.
– 过来运动下 – 在六点后你可以尽量的做
– Come on, be a sport. – You can have as much as you want after 6:00.
我的咽喉像戈鹦鹉的笼子,听着
My throat’s like a parrot’s cage. Listen.
对不起,但是我不能在这个时候卖♥♥酒
I’m sorry. My license does not permit me to serve alcohol out of hours.
那好,你不想我有麻烦,不是吗?
That’s final. You wouldn’t want to get me into trouble, would you?
给我们一个机会,我们只要那个,给我们一个机会
Just give us the chance, lady. That’s all we ask. Just give us the chance.
– 贝里尔 – 是的,是伯格特夫人吗?
– Beryl! – Yes, Mrs. Bagot?
– 叫戈比先生过来一会儿好吗 – 好的,伯格特夫人
– Ask Mr. Godby to come here a moment, will you? – Yes, Mrs. Bagot.
– 当他在家里的时候他是谁? – 你很快就会知道的了
– Oh, and who’s he when he’s at home? – You’ll soon see.
– 过来检查我啊 – 离开它,妈妈是朋友
– Coming in here cheeking me. – Come off it, Mother. Be a pal.
– 我会给你,你这个暴发户 – 你说谁是暴发户?
– I’ll give you “Mother,” you saucy upstart. – Oi, who you callin’ an upstart?
你我要你尽快离开这里